What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily Telecrap at their lowest - Rugby league is not a sport, it's an atrocity

Lambretta

First Grade
I've never understood why people who follow other sports are constantly writing articles about rugby league.

If it's just satire then why are these articles always trashing rugby league and not the other football codes?

Pretty much this

Now as a fan of Rugby League, when I read the article did I suddenly question my devotion to the code I love? Have any of you? No.

Does anyone actually change their own opinion based on the bias of another? Are jouralists really that influential? Again, no.

Sure, if I was in the market to purchase a car and he wrote an article giving a subject appraisal between two cars it might influence my decision to a degree. But if I were an avid fan of say Toyota and he wrote an article bagging Toyota's do you think I'd suddenly question my existance? No. Not for a second.

So what is the writers actual aim of the article? Who is he trying to convince that Union is better than League? Himself? If so, I believe he was already prejudiced and therefore the article is pointless.

Will he actually convert any fans of League to another code by bagging us? No, he won't. Once again the article is pointless.

There are divisions between League and Union supporters that are too wide to be bridged by an article in a newspaper - especially an article that ends with a footnote stating what the writer wrote is basically garbage and not to be taken seriously.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Reality is 70%+ of readers of the telecrap are not RL or RU fans, it influences joe publics opinion of a code which can have all sorts of future knock on effects. it is very hard to say exactly how much influence it has but as i said if you say something often enough the gullible public will believe it.

Take a look at boat people, in the grand scheme of things a massively insignificant issue on a national or personel scale yet majority of Australians would tell you it is an impending disaster for the country, purely based on what angle the media is taking on it. never underestimate the power of the pen to make people think what you want them to think!

Brutus

Referee
Have you EVER seen an opinion piece written about another sport as biased and negative as this? Tell you what you trawl through the Melbourne or Perth papers and if you can find one single opinion piece in the last 20 years that is as scathing about AFL as this is about NRL i'll give you $50!

This is in a paper in RL heartland ffs! There is no way AFL fans and administration would allow a media outlet in their heartland city to print such rubbish. Shows how weak and apathetic our games and fans are at times.

You can say it is just an opinion piece and so what but reality is it is damaging to the game, we all know how gullible joe public is, tell them enough times how cr4p RL is and they will believe it. It's why people pay millions for advertising!

And what was the point of putting an article like that in anyway? It came completely out of left field. RL players have been saints over the off-season...very low profile. No need to bag the game out at all.

It was a very strange move by News Limited.

hutch

First Grade
Reality is 70%+ of readers of the telecrap are not RL or RU fans, it influences joe publics opinion of a code which can have all sorts of future knock on effects. it is very hard to say exactly how much influence it has but as i said if you say something often enough the gullible public will believe it.

Take a look at boat people, in the grand scheme of things a massively insignificant issue on a national or personel scale yet majority of Australians would tell you it is an impending disaster for the country, purely based on what angle the media is taking on it. never underestimate the power of the pen to make people think what you want them to think!
I think you underestimate the popularity of rugby league if you think 70% of tele readers aren't rugby league fans!

adamkungl

Immortal
I think you underestimate the popularity of rugby league if you think 70% of tele readers aren't rugby league fans!

I think you overestimate the popularity of sport. Large portions of the population don't actually care...

Firstly, I would suggest a significant proportion of Telecrap readers are RL fans, however why they buy it is beyond comprehension. This article is aimed at those readers. It is called rubbish journalism to get morons to buy the stupid paper!

Now, in relation to the article... this koshi clone obviously woke up with his tampon in a knot! Don't give the wanker the satisfaction of thinking he has ruffled anyones feathers. Just ignore the garbage

supercharger

Juniors
The article was asinine..complete garbage
But League fans remind me of Hockey fans in America
Been wronged and belittled throughout the course of history and can be angry,distrustful, circle-the-wagons kind of bunch

Last edited:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
you can't laugh faux-intelligently and call that satire.

if it's even satire, it's geniusedly bad.

In-goal

Bench
Reasoning behind the article "tv rights". I was at the scg today, spoke with a Ch9 exec, his view, $800m at tops for rl.

Before you all whinge he already had a systematic breakdown of all viewerships and advertising expectations, and this after a couple of frofies.

My question to him was, with better rating than the AFL hoe can you quantify these numbers he retired with:

Attendance
National audience
Female fans

I asked is that accurate? He said that the Sydney media is simply
Insular to the greater Australian market, which takes in the market of Perth where more millionaires reside per capita than any other city.

My apologies I've been on the tins myself.

docbrown

Coach
That article is disgusting. The fact that they point out that there were men still playing league during WWI is pathetic.

Yep using the death of veterans to promote your hatred. Pathetic is the only word for it.

You fellas aren't big on satire are you..............

He goes on to repeatedly say that he ignores the game yet as you realise satire is a form of blatant scathing attack.

The guy is a hypocrite.

Here's the honest truth why this article was published. Normally during this time of the year the Telegraph is desperately hoping for rugby league players to make indiscretions so they can sell papers as their sales drop over summer. As nothing is happening, they therefore decide to make up this piece of crap in order to achieve the same effect.

And anybody who lauds it is likewise an idiot.

Reasoning behind the article "tv rights". I was at the scg today, spoke with a Ch9 exec, his view, $800m at tops for rl.

Before you all whinge he already had a systematic breakdown of all viewerships and advertising expectations, and this after a couple of frofies.

My question to him was, with better rating than the AFL hoe can you quantify these numbers he retired with:

Attendance
National audience
Female fans

Insular to the greater Australian market, which takes in the market of Perth where more millionaires reside per capita than any other city.

You get stupider when you're tanked?

I'd have put money on you being the only human being on earth that would be smarter pissed.

supercharger

Juniors

Attendance
National audience
Female fans

smells_like_bullshit.jpg

docbrown

Coach

Attendance
National audience
Female fans

Yep sounds like drunken bullshit.

Yep using the death of veterans to promote your hatred. Pathetic is the only word for it.

He goes on to repeatedly say that he ignores the game yet as you realise satire is a form of blatant scathing attack.

The guy is a hypocrite.

Here's the honest truth why this article was published. Normally during this time of the year the Telegraph is desperately hoping for rugby league players to make indiscretions so they can sell papers as their sales drop over summer. As nothing is happening, they therefore decide to make up this piece of crap in order to achieve the same effect.

And anybody who lauds it is likewise an idiot.

Spot on.

And it's not like the Tele haven't stooped low before....

I wouldn't read it if it were delivered to my dunny free.

El Diablo

Post Whore
i wonder how Tricky's case is going?

Sunday Tele fails to quash Trindall case

and this is what it's all about

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...executioner-20100116-mdda.html?skin=text-only

AGHAST TRICKY CALLS LAWYERS

DARRELL ''TRICKY'' TRINDALL is back in Sydney and is taking steps to clear his name after a story appeared in the News Ltd press last week that said he has been charged with having sex with teenage boys. The league world was buzzing with rumours that Trindall had been arrested last week in Thailand - but he told me that it was a hoax and we reported it. That didn't stop the story appearing in another newspaper as a big news story. Trindall was horrified to learn what had been written and returned home this week, but has been in hiding - too ashamed to show his face. ''I came home and people were screaming out 'Rocky' at the airport - meaning I'm a rock spider,'' he said. ''To say I have sex with young boys and I've been arrested … it's all wrong and until that message gets out there I won't be able to show my face. This has destroyed me … I know I'm a scallywag and I've done some bad things … but nothing like this. My kids, my family, Belinda, my ex-wife … this has crushed them.'' Trindall has leading lawyers Chris Murphy and Adam Houda working on the matter. ''I've been defamed in the worst possible way, someone has made this up to ruin me and I'll be looking to sue,'' he said. ''What really hurts me is that I've worked as a development officer and I was hoping to work with kids in my next job. It's hard enough for me to get a job at the best of times, now it will be impossible.''

News Ltd lower than a snakes belly

you only have to look at the whole News Of The World case to realise that

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The article was asinine..complete garbage
But League fans remind me of Hockey fans in America
Been wronged and belittled throughout the course of history and can be angry,distrustful, circle-the-wagons kind of bunch
Correct me if I'm wrong :lol: but that's the second time you've used that word this week.
I was at the scg today, spoke with a Ch9 exec, his view, $800m at tops for rl.
I was at the scg today, spoke with Elvis, he said you were a prick.

Last edited: