What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dale Husband

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Well I'll take the guys with poly and maori credientials on pronunciation, but I couldn't work out who Husband was talking about. I thought he was saying Matai.....

As for correct pronunciation, why should Australians talk with a New Zealand accent? Anybody with the name spelt "grant" is graaant to me, not grunnnt.

Agree to a point. Even within single cultures pronunciations differ, so it's arguable that there is a single 'correct' pronounciation for anything.

But there's a difference between saying something with an accent and clumsily having a guess at what you think it might be. That's my beef with a lot of the Aussie commentators. They get paid well to do what they do and it's all because of the players currently playing this sport at the highest level. So show these guys the respect of finding out from them exactly how their names should be pronounced. Daley & Johns are particularly atrocious IMO.

Aragorn

First Grade
It’s all relative – if the majority of people watching the game are maori, then fair enough, pronounce it with a maori accent. However, if the audience are mainly Australians and various antipodeans who are more comfortable with the British accent, then I would stick with the British accent no matter how incorrect it may be. If one of the players had a French or Italian surname, is it correct to pronounce it with the accent, or would that just be taking the p*ss? so to me, Dale Husband pronouncing every Polynesian name with the heavy local accent is just taking the p*ss….

Aragorn

First Grade
I’m not sure about that. I think they may go hand in hand. How you prounce a word, comes from the accent you have.

Although I’m 100% sure if the aussie commentators tried pronoucing Mateo’s name the way Husband does – everyone would slam it as racism…

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I’m not sure about that. I think they may go hand in hand. How you prounce a word, comes from the accent you have.

Although I’m 100% sure if the aussie commentators tried pronoucing Mateo’s name the way Husband does – everyone would slam it as racism…

:?:crazy::sarcasm:

?????

wha....???

Aragorn

First Grade
think about it - if you heard Hadley and Stereo trying to prounce Mateo and Ropati the way Husband does, slam dunk you'd be thinking they're taking the p8ss. no?

Aragorn

First Grade
Can you picture hearing someone like Gus or Hadley commenting like Husband saying screaming “Johnson to Maateeeoooo, Maateeeooo onto Roooopaaatiiii…..” it would be freaking hilarious…. I’d almost pay money to hear them do an impression on the footy show….

jamaman

Juniors
Can you picture hearing someone like Gus or Hadley commenting like Husband saying screaming “Johnson to Maateeeoooo, Maateeeooo onto Roooopaaatiiii…..” it would be freaking hilarious…. I’d almost pay money to hear them do an impression on the footy show….

haha! Yeeeaaah!!:crazy:

shinobi

Juniors
It’s all relative – if the majority of people watching the game are maori, then fair enough, pronounce it with a maori accent. However, if the audience are mainly Australians and various antipodeans who are more comfortable with the British accent, then I would stick with the British accent no matter how incorrect it may be. If one of the players had a French or Italian surname, is it correct to pronounce it with the accent, or would that just be taking the p*ss? so to me, Dale Husband pronouncing every Polynesian name with the heavy local accent is just taking the p*ss….

Commentators dont say Dominique Peyroux last name Pay-rukes. Its not an accent its pronunciation. Sure its not perfect French but its an attempt to get it right. Why cant the same be done for Polynesian names?

Its not even that hard compared to English cos the vowel sounds are always the same so Tamou (Tar-moh) and Tupou (Tu-poh), Matulino (ma-tu-lee-naw), Kasiano (kuh-si-ah-naw) etc etc. They managed to do it with Clinton Toopi and Wairangi Koopus names so it can definitely be done.

I mean i dont even get why the commentators getting hated on for trying to get the names right?

Aragorn

First Grade
Commentators dont say Dominique Peyroux last name Pay-rukes. Its not an accent its pronunciation. Sure its not perfect French but its an attempt to get it right. Why cant the same be done for Polynesian names?

Its not even that hard compared to English cos the vowel sounds are always the same so Tamou (Tar-moh) and Tupou (Tu-poh), Matulino (ma-tu-lee-naw), Kasiano (kuh-si-ah-naw) etc etc. They managed to do it with Clinton Toopi and Wairangi Koopus names so it can definitely be done.

I mean i dont even get why the commentators getting hated on for trying to get the names right?

Its a fair point - getting a PR lesson on how to pronouce polynesian names correctly...how hard can it be??.....oh no, I can picture another Matty Johns skit again... :shock: