What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dan Hunt

doda

Juniors
It's been well documented he is not up to standard anymore and also he has had injuries and mental health issues. I've been one of his critics but remember he is a Dragon and in the past had some good form and deserves respect

I agree totally, no need to put shit on Dragons players. All Dragons players deserve respect. In my opinion anyone that makes it to 1st grade is a great player.

jenninga

First Grade
I never doubt Dan's effort when he is on the field,just think injuries have hampered him and is no longer a prop who can be effective.Pity he doesn't have passing skills to add to his game .

Kuro

Juniors
Yes, unfortunately his game is very one dimensional and he no longer excels in that aspect.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I agree totally, no need to put shit on Dragons players. All Dragons players deserve respect. In my opinion anyone that makes it to 1st grade is a great player.

Except for Lee Murphy, Damian Chapman, Andrew Hart, Ben Kusto, Tony Smith...These guys sucked

GT0007

Juniors
I never doubt Dan's effort when he is on the field,just think injuries have hampered him and is no longer a prop who can be effective.Pity he doesn't have passing skills to add to his game .

When he had his purple patch a few years ago he was good for offloads but I guess not having impact in his hit ups now doesn't give him the opportunity

Cagey Mac

Bench
If Dan Hunt has been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder, he'll undertake therapy and perhaps medication though given ASDA regulations perhaps the former will need to suffice.
Some of the penalties that he gave away were frustrating because they seemed irrational and his diagnosis explains a lot.
Once that he learns how to handle his condition to a degree we may see a resurrection of his career.
I'm sure that we all wish him nothing but the best and I'm not prepared to give up on him. Frankly neither should anyone else.
If you don't understand Bipolar disorder, check it out or perhaps refrain from commenting on Hunt until you do.

TruSaint

Referee
If Dan Hunt has been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder, he'll undertake therapy and perhaps medication though given ASDA regulations perhaps the former will need to suffice.
Some of the penalties that he gave away were frustrating because they seemed irrational and his diagnosis explains a lot.
Once that he learns how to handle his condition to a degree we may see a resurrection of his career.
I'm sure that we all wish him nothing but the best and I'm not prepared to give up on him. Frankly neither should anyone else.
If you don't understand Bipolar disorder, check it out or perhaps refrain from commenting on Hunt until you do.

Yep, Cagey well said mate.
Its easy to come on a forum and have a go at a bloke who has mental health issues.
Good luck to Dan.

The Nick

Bench

Under ASADA rules you can apply for exemptions if you require certain substances for medical reasons, be it physical or mental.

However, many sufferers of Bipolar choose not to take their medication because it makes them feel "flat" ie. no highs or lows. Andrew Johns touched on this when he revealed he was suffering from Bipolar.

Unfortunately it can be a very difficult to manage, and many sufferers end up self medicating with drugs and/or alcohol.

I think the speculation linking his mental illness to his performances on the field (while admittedly not far fetched) are insensitive and unfair given none of you know exactly what's going on in his head.

Some things are more important than football, and personally I wish Dan all the best and I hope he is able to get on top of things.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I don't think that they're insensitive mate given Dan's statement regarding his diagnosis and he really doesn't need much improvement to avoid giving silly penalties away. They were pretty well all related to a bit too much zeal.
People living with the condition at times go through hell, it affects every part of their life.
What I'm saying that the knowledge of one's condition can lead to behavioural change though CBT and other methods that can improve on field performance. Even if only by improving general health.
Related medication from my understanding can have other side-effects particularly while doctors work out the right mix so I understand the aversion.

TruSaint

Referee
Getting the mix right, as far as I know, is very difficult.
Behavioral therapy, prescription medication and support from home are all important.
Problem with meds like Kalma, Xanax and Zoloft is getting off them.
Often that required 2-3 weeks in re-hab.
They are very addictive.
Bottom line, it affects all parts of one life, and in bad cases can be disastrous.

bottle

Coach
Behavioral therapy, prescription medication and support from home are all important.
They are very addictive.

Bottom line, it affects all parts of one life, and in bad cases can be disastrous.

Tru I don't know if you've known anyone personally who has been subject to taking these meds (I do) but I don't believe this is the case. In fact if anything it's the opposite, and that can be part of the problem. They are so easy to give up that people often do, suddenly and without medical advice, and suffer the consequences of rapid mood alterations/anxiety problems.

pinkmoon

Juniors
They are very addictive.

I'm no expert, but I study pharmacy and have an interest in this area. Kalma is a generic brand of Xanax, which is a Benzodiazepine, used to treat acute conditions of anxiety. Generally, one needs either be abusing the drug, or be poorly prescribed to require rehab.

Zoloft is an SSRI anti-depressant, used to treat anxiety and depression. It has a completely different side effect profile to "benzos" and is generally not considered addictive.

The first line of treatment for bipolar suffers is a mood stabiliser, which happens to be the same medication used to treat epilepsy (lithium, etc.). If Hunt is on anything, it would more than likely be a mood stabiliser, and depending on the symptoms and severity of his condition, an anti depressant to augment the stabiliser.

Bipolar is generally considered by medical professionals to be the easiest condition to treat on the anxiety/depression/OCD spectrum.

love my saints

Juniors
Just to be fair.... not many players performed under price.... maybe Hunt will be like all the other players who seem to have gone up a notch since price was shown the door?
Remember, it wasnt that long ago people were saying Creagh should retire, he is past his best etc etc, a few players dropped in intensity under price, now Creaghs killing it on the field. Lets hope Hunt comes back and plays like the Dan Hunt of 2010...
Time will tell but not fair to shoot the guy down just yet.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Just to be fair.... not many players performed under price.... maybe Hunt will be like all the other players who seem to have gone up a notch since price was shown the door?
Remember, it wasnt that long ago people were saying Creagh should retire, he is past his best etc etc, a few players dropped in intensity under price, now Creaghs killing it on the field. Lets hope Hunt comes back and plays like the Dan Hunt of 2010...
Time will tell but not fair to shoot the guy down just yet.

great post

big pat

Coach
I'm no expert, but I study pharmacy and have an interest in this area. Kalma is a generic brand of Xanax, which is a Benzodiazepine, used to treat acute conditions of anxiety. Generally, one needs either be abusing the drug, or be poorly prescribed to require rehab.

Zoloft is an SSRI anti-depressant, used to treat anxiety and depression. It has a completely different side effect profile to "benzos" and is generally not considered addictive.

The first line of treatment for bipolar suffers is a mood stabiliser, which happens to be the same medication used to treat epilepsy (lithium, etc.). If Hunt is on anything, it would more than likely be a mood stabiliser, and depending on the symptoms and severity of his condition, an anti depressant to augment the stabiliser.

Bipolar is generally considered by medical professionals to be the easiest condition to treat on the anxiety/depression/OCD spectrum.

zyprexa and lithium are another 2 you need to get right, you have to keep up with the dose that your doctor prescribes you, otherwise things can get a bit out of hand, anyway its good people have a proper discussion on this, unlike clowns like skippa who said hunt has no ticker, as if some people would be able to throw their bodies at 110kg players on a footy field, imo hunt has plenty of heart, just out of form, who knows he may come good again once everything gets sorted out.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Agreed TS and Dan Hunt's openness about being diagnosed may even save the life of a Dragon's supporter one day when they realise that there's no shame in being human.
Our vulnerabilities are all part of who we are.

pinkmoon

Juniors
No doubt he has been out of form, but he is a human being first and foremost, and if he struggling with a medical condition, then that goes a long way to explaining things.

For example, Matt Prior has never been the same player since his brother passed away. He took his frustrations out on Jonathan Thurston one night in Townsville (an act that was never in his game); we have to remember that these off field issues can play a significant role in a players form and discipline on the paddock. I really feel for Matt, he has boundless potential.

Latest posts