What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dare to dream

Micistm

Bench
Isn't that when they play the worst?

:lol:Sadly yes. I expect them to go out today fired up as hell...results went their way over the weekend, a Penrith side depleted and ripe for slaughtering, revenge for the embarrassment a few weeks ago, getting back in the table chase again...They should be determined to go out and not only win, but give that for/against a good debt payoff. Will they though?:)

Rich102

Staff member
I'm desperately trying to keep a positive outlook today and not remember what happened when we played the Panthers at Mt Smart last year (even though it was around the same time of year with both teams in a similar position).

You should have the Mad Mullah look off perfect by March 2014 when they should make the top 8.

Micistm

Bench
Refs were just as bad both ways. Warriors real problem (apart from Elliott) is your horrible wingers

Yes refs were awful, our whole team takes the blame for that lazy inept display though. I will only blame Elliot if he doesn't tear them new arseholes after that shockingly lazy effort.
That said- Fair play to your Panthers. You took your chances and got the win, and deserve it:)

WellsNZ

Juniors
Refs were just as bad both ways. Warriors real problem (apart from Elliott) is your horrible wingers

The refs clearly boned the Warriors (not that I think they did so intentionally just their ineptitude cost the Warriors more than the Panthers) but the blame starts with the Warriors themselves.

Elliott isn't the problem.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I'm not blaming the refs for the loss, but I am blaming them for a f**king atrocious performance!

Why the f**k is a ref in a position to be first receiver from a play-the-ball??? Un-f**king-believable!

And the Panthers should have just donned helmets and shoulder pads. I counted 9 forward passes!

Diesel

Referee
Owen needs to set aside $100K a year for Elliott to use at the end of match press conference.

After Toovey's blow up on Friday, Manly might get stung $10K but the refs will go easier on them this week

vvvrulz

Coach
I'm not blaming the refs for the loss, but I am blaming them for a f**king atrocious performance!

Why the f**k is a ref in a position to be first receiver from a play-the-ball??? Un-f**king-believable!

And the Panthers should have just donned helmets and shoulder pads. I counted 9 forward passes!

One of the forward passes led to a direct try and the ref-ball killed a lot of crucial rare momentum we had.

You almost could argue that it cost us the game.

jaseg

Juniors
Owen needs to set aside $100K a year for Elliott to use at the end of match press conference.

After Toovey's blow up on Friday, Manly might get stung $10K but the refs will go easier on them this week

Yeah, or just get a legal team set up to challenge the NRL fining clubs for criticism of refereeing performances. It's ridiculous - if the ref makes mistakes they should be called on it, not protected. Accountability should be embraced. The ONLY time those fines should be given is if people start questioning the integrity of the refs.

No doubt the refs didn't come into the game with an agenda for one team to win or lose, the reality is they're just shit. Simple as that. Even Toovey had a right to complain in my eyes this week (despite - IMO - a performance that didn't nearly go as far Souths' way as he would have you believe) - because of the context... a week ago they couldn't do a thing wrong and this week they're getting pinged for the same things they got away with a week before, offsides etc. These inconsistencies are just not conducive to high level play.

TheDMC

Bench
No doubt the refs didn't come into the game with an agenda for one team to win or lose, the reality is they're just shit. Simple as that.

Bang on. I don't think the refs have any desire to be biased or inconsistent, they are just incompetent.
There are three approaches that may resolve this incredibly frustrating and detrimental aspect of our game.

1) Develop better referees (long-term and I don't know how you go about it)
2) Amend rules - at the moment many rules are conducive to overly subjective interpretation and inconsistency, leading to blunders and game turners. What constitutes a forward pass or knock on comes to mind. Control for grounding the ball and review process. Torso try. Held in tackle...and so on and on and on.
3) Lessen the impact of penalties on the game. Penalties in RL are overly determining on the result. Perhaps a territory kick and new set is too much of a penalty for some infringements.

Changing from Harrigan to Anderson was never going to be the solution...

Micistm

Bench
+1

But now they can't get to the 8, except 3 massive efforts over the last 3 games just to show us what they are capable of

The problem I have, is the Warriors could well bumble, stumble and fluke their way into the eight with three wins and results going their way-get an absolute flogging- But then declare the season a success, high fiving and patting each other on the back for making the playoffs...pretending these severe problems of laziness and switching off don't exist.:?

The most frustrating thing is they prove they can compete with the best for a several weeks at a time chunk...but can't keep it going

ozbash

Referee
The problem I have, is the Warriors could well bumble, stumble and fluke their way into the eight with three wins and results going their way-get an absolute flogging- But then declare the season a success, high fiving and patting each other on the back for making the playoffs...pretending these severe problems of laziness and switching off don't exist.:?

The most frustrating thing is they prove they can compete with the best for a several weeks at a time chunk...but can't keep it going

admire your optimism, mate...

TheDMC

Bench

Should just be a top 4 semis playoff system. Really the top 8 is just a revenue generating, keep the losers interested situation. We did not deserve to be in the 2011 GF on season performance, or even finals performance (flogged by broncos)

If semis system, apart from 2002 and 2007 we would have never have made the finals!

Fast Eddie

First Grade
If semis system, apart from 2002 and 2007 we would have never have made the finals!

Having a guess here but I'd imagine teams like the Panthers and Cowboys would be pretty similar. There is no way they'd consider dropping it to 4 teams because it would mean a big increase in meaningless games from about round 17-18 onwards. I reckon a 6 team cut off could work well.

Last edited:

LeagueNut

First Grade
I think we should rename this thread the DARE TO DREAM 2014.
Request denied :)

Round 24:

Panthers vs Broncos in Penrith - draw
Cowboys vs Knights in Townsville - Knights win
Titans vs Warriors in Gold Coast - Warriors win by 62+ points
Raiders vs Sea Eagles in Canberra - Sea Eagles win

Warriors are 8th!!!!! :cool:

On the plus (?) side, there's no way we can drop any lower than our current position regardless of how the Round 24 results pan out.

Juju

Juniors
Request denied :)

Round 24:

Panthers vs Broncos in Penrith - draw
Cowboys vs Knights in Townsville - Knights win
Titans vs Warriors in Gold Coast - Warriors win by 62+ points
Raiders vs Sea Eagles in Canberra - Sea Eagles win

Warriors are 8th!!!!! :cool:

On the plus (?) side, there's no way we can drop any lower than our current position regardless of how the Round 24 results pan out.
All I can say to that is LOL.

Latest posts