What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

David Gallop says second NRL team in south-east Queensland on cards

IanG

Coach
Heres a sketch of what the upgraded MES in Perth will look like:

MembersNewStand2-420x0.jpg

Main improvement is the building of a new main stand. This will increase corporate boxes and increase capacity to around 25,000

Fingers crossed it is in this years budget!

Looks a bit like What EAS will eventually look like.

Also after the World Cup last year there was a push for PNG to have a team in the NRL. Only thing about that is do they have the Infrastructure? Because you definatly can't question the interest and player pools up there.

Last edited:

Solid

Juniors
Logan based team

They could easily use the old ANZ stadium. Good transport and plenty of parking. Very big capacity. Central location

However the seat quality is quite bad if directly compared to Suncorp whereby most fans of RL in Brisbane have experienced.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Looks a bit like What EAS will eventually look like.

Also after the World Cup last year there was a push for PNG to have a team in the NRL. Only thing about that is do they have the Infrastructure? Because you definatly can't question the interest and player pools up there.
Future EAS.

westerngrandstand01307l.jpg

The games biggest revnue is tv money. How will another team in brisbane make that more lucrative? Its not a new market.

ok. its just that they want a qld game played each week on friday and screened prime time. another team will help them do that.
thats what will make the money go up.

Timbo

Staff member
The re-admission on the Bears/Central Coast was something I thought would never happen after the Northern Eagles disaster ended. Now I'm convinced that it will be the next team admitted, possibly in 2012, possibly on its own creating a 17 club competition.

What next? Perth deserves it. Should come in with the Bears. The problem is, the NRL has gotten so paranoid and obsessed with looking over its shoulder that I think we will go to 18 - but club 18 will be Brisbane Wests.

Perth will have its day, but I think it'll be sometime around 2020, with the re-admission of Adelaide.

If only they hadn't been so bloody short sighted when it came to rationalizing the comp in the late 90s.

otori

Juniors
If there was a Logan/Ipswich team, I'd definitely think twice about going to those games with the ... interesting people that live in those locations.

I don't think they'd use ANZ stadium as their base despite it's quality as it's just up the road from Mt Gravatt which is pretty central to the city.

Timbo

Staff member
I think they'd both play out of Lang Park. There is no other league stadium in Brisbane - forget ANZ, noone is ever going back there -, and after the pasting the ALP copped from everyone during the election over stadium funding, I don't think they'll be in a hurry to build a 25,000 seat stadium at Ipswich.

I said a while back that Ballymore might not be a bad option for a Brisbane expansion club. It's smaller size will help to create atmosphere while the club builds itself up, with an eventual move to Lang Park. Also the QRU would probably offer a decent deal as they'd love a regular tenant. I've been told public transport is shocking to the area though.

Last edited:

coolumsharkie

Referee
If there was a Logan/Ipswich team, I'd definitely think twice about going to those games with the ... interesting people that live in those locations.

I don't think they'd use ANZ stadium as their base despite it's quality as it's just up the road from Mt Gravatt which is pretty central to the city.

Thats pretty soft, it's not South Central LA, you and your boyfriends will be ok.

gallagher

Juniors
Yeah, the Rosters crowd on friday was massive. 11,000?

I wouldnt call the 15,000 the tits got at there last game dwarfing the chooks crowd. And it is smaller than the chooks first round crowd.

To say the titans crowds dwarf sydney crowds is just incorrect.

mightybears

Bench
SE Qld can easily sustain a third team [playing out of Lang], whether that be a Logan-Ipswich team or a Northern Brisbane-Sunshine Coast.

mightybears

Bench
If another Brisbane team came in would there be a similair split in the city ie do the Broncos currently draw their fan base from a particular area of the city and/or socio demographic and would a new team be able to draw from another part not currently supporting the Broncos?

Re: different demographics for a new team:

Arguably true to some extent if the team was Logan or Ipswich or SW based, not so if the new Brisbane team was based to the North or Sunshine Coast.

A new Brisbane team would also generally attract the non-Bronco, ' I hate the Broncos/super league' demography even if some of that group are now tit fans.

RedVee

First Grade
I'd have expected a Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast or maybe Ipswich team to be next. Would Toowoomba have the infrastructure and people/money/support to be a viable alternate?

joshreading

Staff member
I actually think that Gallops words shoud give hope to Perth and Wellington but concern for Norths. In all the qoutes about CC it is clear he is talking about a relocated team

MayMoo

Juniors
I actually think that Gallops words shoud give hope to Perth and Wellington but concern for Norths. In all the qoutes about CC it is clear he is talking about a relocated team

Not in all quotes, although admittedly it is a concern that the relocation carrot still dangles.

He has also been quoted as saying that in any move to the Central Coast the Bears would be right in the mix. And also that the Bears overtures are being considered and will taken very seriously.

Keep in mind that the current bid is a direct result of Gallop asking the Bears to put something together.

I admit that until and if ever the Bears get the nod, the spectre of someone else moving there is a concern. But to say that in all quotes a relocated side is what's being talked about is incorrect.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Perth would be the first choice. However most people are aware a 4th QLD WILL come in at some stage. It was a QLD paper so they will run the story. Perth Reds and your mates. Get a Business Plan together and put it to David Gallop.

I can only see postives to a Perth team. If it's financially sound. FTA games shouldn't be a problem Bruce Gordon owns 9 over there and loves league. Having 2 Win staduims is proof of that

Latest posts