What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

De Gois

K-Man

Bench
I still think lock would suit Bailey best

I actually agree. I see Bailey as a lock, but my suggestion is based on the fact that he is not going to be selected as a starting lock ahead of workhorses like Simpson/Taia.

And a bench of Hilder, Bailey, Taia (or Houston), Fa'aoso is just too small with only one prop, one backrower and 2 utilities.

Basically, for Bailey to get game time in the backrow I think it needs to be from the interchange bench coming on late in the first half, then spending 10 minutes at dummy half whilst Bedsy has a rest in the second half, then finishing the game in the backrow using his footwork as he did against Roosters.

For this to happen, you can't really have Hilder using up a whole spot in the 17 as well.

So my idea isn't at all based on any great belief in Bailey as a hooker, but as an excellent interchange player for a variety of positions. I think for the small amount of time Hilder actually spends at dummy half in a match, Bailey could cover that role but provide so much more.

Anyway, I'm not even totally convinced myself, just can't get Chris Bailey out of my head whilst at work and want to know where the hell we can play the guy!

Not sure about centre, I want to see it, but in an ideal world we would have one with skills and pace, not just skills.

Hypothetical question - if the grand final was played tomorrow, and all players were full fit, would you pick Bailey in the 17? and where would you play him?

I would have to fit in him somewhere, and in a sudden death match I think Hilder is the expendable one.

BG

Juniors
I would have to fit in him somewhere, and in a sudden death match I think Hilder is the expendable one.

That would take quite a shake-up of the game plans we have been witnessing. Hilder and Bailey are only comparable because they're utilities with smallish backrower builds. But their games are completely polarised. Hilder is all workrate and grit and giving Bedsy a breather with some dummy-half duty. Bailey is flair and impact. I think Bailey should definitely be in the 17. And I'm not necessarily opposed to it at Hilder's expense, but I think throwing up that option without a theory as to who takes on Hilder's current role--or how it gets shared around--is meaningless.

K-Man

Bench
but I think throwing up that option without a theory as to who takes on Hilder's current role--or how it gets shared around--is meaningless.

Would it really take that much of a shake up to the system? Let's be honest, in a semi final or grand final Buderus is going to play 70 minutes minimum and leave nothing in the tank. I'm happy to see Bailey step in there for just a 10 minute period, he wouldn't let the side down, and then you have his skills at your disposal for say 25 minutes of running, stepping, creative backrower at the end of the game.

Perhaps we would miss Hilder in the ruck defence more than I think, but Simpson returns and plays nearly the full 80 minutes, which makes a very good defensive substitution for Hilder in the middle of the park.

Bailey comes on either late in first half or early in the second half replacing one of the backrowers. He can hop into dummy half every now and then as Hilder does even with Buderus on the field just to relieve some pressure. Around the 50 to 60 minute mark if Bedsy has a rest he will slot into hooker. Then for the last 15 odd minutes of the match (especially if we are behind on the scoreboard, if we are in front it might be better to have taia or houston on) Bailey plays at lock with Simpson and Paterson most likely in the second row.

But it's just a theory. Hilder is doing a really good job, I like his contribution and I wouldn't even consider it if Bailey wasn't demanding selection.

And of course, if any of our halves or centres should happen to be injured during the match, we have a brilliant replacement.

BG

Juniors
Would it really take that much of a shake up to the system? Let's be honest, in a semi final or grand final Buderus is going to play 70 minutes minimum and leave nothing in the tank. I'm happy to see Bailey step in there for just a 10 minute period, he wouldn't let the side down, and then you have his skills at your disposal for say 25 minutes of running, stepping, creative backrower at the end of the game.

Perhaps we would miss Hilder in the ruck defence more than I think, but Simpson returns and plays nearly the full 80 minutes, which makes a very good defensive substitution for Hilder in the middle of the park.

Bailey comes on either late in first half or early in the second half replacing one of the backrowers. He can hop into dummy half every now and then as Hilder does even with Buderus on the field just to relieve some pressure. Around the 50 to 60 minute mark if Bedsy has a rest he will slot into hooker. Then for the last 15 odd minutes of the match (especially if we are behind on the scoreboard, if we are in front it might be better to have taia or houston on) Bailey plays at lock with Simpson and Paterson most likely in the second row.

But it's just a theory. Hilder is doing a really good job, I like his contribution and I wouldn't even consider it if Bailey wasn't demanding selection.

And of course, if any of our halves or centres should happen to be injured during the match, we have a brilliant replacement.

Yeah, good post. The bit I've bolded is a strong point. I agree that Simmo's return will somewhat alleviate our reliance on Hilder's workload. As for the dummy half stuff: I tend to agree that it's not a huge problem, although I wouldn't be using Bailey... apart from Hilder, we are already seeing Gids and the halves and even a few others taking it on at times and they can share it around. Having said that, I don't think it's an issue that only arisis when Bedsy goes off for 10 minutes. This season, whether he gets a sideline breather or not, there is clear plan for us not to rely on him at every ruck. I think there might be a number of reasons for this but the most significant is probably to keep Bedsy with some energy in reserve for big plays in the final fifteen minutes. I think some of our slow start/wet sail pattern has been coincidental, and aggravated by an assortment of minor factors, but part of it has also been due to the way we are conserving resources to ensure a strong finish.

Johns Magic

Referee
If we were playing in a grand-final tomorrow, fully fit, I'd go:

1. Gidley
2. McManus
3. MacDougall
4. Lulia
5. Naiqama
6. Mullen
7. Dureau
8. Royal
9. Buderus
10. Cross
11. Simpson
12. Taia
13. Bailey

14. Tolar
15. Fa'aoso
16. Paterson
17. Hilder

macavity

Referee
1. Gidley
2. McManus
3. Bailey
4. Naiqama
5. MacDougall
6. Mullen
7. Dureau
8. Royal
9. Buderus (c)
10. Cross
11. Paterson
12. Houston
13. Simpson

14. Tolar
15. Fa'aoso
16. Wicks
17. Hilder

my team would beat your team... :D

Yosh

Coach
I dont really like Taia either... However Cariosdlo or whatever was way worse...

GF tomrw I would have:

1. Gids
2. Uate
3. McManus
4. Bailey
5. Vuna
6. Mullo
7. Dureau
8. Cross
9. Bedsy
10. Wicks
11. Houston
12. Patoo
13. Simpson

14. Hilder
15. Fao'so
16. Sargent
17. White

This considering them all injury free, been playing good footy as well in recent weeks.

We sould either win spectacularly with some amazing tries and freakish exciting football OR we would lose ugly ugly ugly get a good 60 scored on us...

Our forwards are HUGE, the prop rotation would be amazing and the back row playing nearly full games but taking 10min rests each when Hilder comes on for Bedsy and stays on coming into any of the back row positions.

That is our best team if they were all playing to their best footy and would win the comp easy I reckon

macavity

Referee
I dont really like Taia either... However Cariosdlo or whatever was way worse...

there was something in the air that night
the stars so bright

CIRALDO

:sarcasm:

GF tomrw I would have:

1. Gids
2. Uate
3. McManus
4. Bailey
5. Vuna
6. Mullo
7. Dureau
8. Cross
9. Bedsy
10. Wicks
11. Houston
12. Patoo
13. Simpson

14. Hilder
15. Fao'so
16. Sargent
17. White

That is our best team if they were all playing to their best footy and would win the comp easy I reckon

and you were doing so well..... :(

roopy

Referee
is strikingly orthodox or innovative.
I'm sorry to nitpick, but i'm sure you mean unorthodox.
As to the term in question - i've always taken it to mean attention seeking young brat - and calling him young is a bit of a stretch.

Serc

First Grade
Lol crap, forgot about Pato. I'll edit.

Edit: and Naiqama...wow I'm on the ball today.

lol good stuff...I was wondering if there was some grand idea behind it all. Good idea in not starting Pato as we already would have Bailey on there.

Pika

Bench
Sorry to say Yosh, but with Wicks starting on current form, your squad would leak points up the middle something terrible.

I rate Wicks, but he is impact.

K-Man

Bench
although I wouldn't be using Bailey... apart from Hilder, we are already seeing Gids and the halves and even a few others taking it on at times and they can share it around. Having said that, I don't think it's an issue that only arisis when Bedsy goes off for 10 minutes. This season, whether he gets a sideline breather or not, there is clear plan for us not to rely on him at every ruck. I think there might be a number of reasons for this but the most significant is probably to keep Bedsy with some energy in reserve for big plays in the final fifteen minutes. I think some of our slow start/wet sail pattern has been coincidental, and aggravated by an assortment of minor factors, but part of it has also been due to the way we are conserving resources to ensure a strong finish.

Certainly can't disagree with any of that. Which means Bailey could still easily work as the bench utility if, as you rightly point out, we have a lot of players filling at dummy half at different points of games this season anyway (Gidley and Dureau especially).

As for Bailey as a centre, I would definately like to see it given a try. He would provide fantastic service to his winger which is something we really miss, and wouldn't be afraid to have a crack at the line himself either.

It's just the nagging thought of all the hard work being done on the inside only for Bailey to be too slow to finish it off. That, and being isolated completely in defence against players like Gasnier, Hodges etc. Even though he would have to do more tackling, I'd probably rather him defending with some mates in the middle like Simpson and Cross etc.

Having said all that, can't you just picture a game where Uate scores 4 tries directly resulting from a mix of Bailey short passes, off-loads, grubbers etc, whilst Bailey grabs a couple of tries stepping his way over too.

If he could just add a yard of pace or two.....

For what it's worth, my team to play a GF tomorrow would be:

Gidley
McManus
Naiqama
Lulia
Vuna
Mullen
Dureau
Simpson
Paterson
Taia
Royal
Buderus
Cross

Bailey
Houston
Fa'aso
Tolar

But I could just as happily put Bailey at centre instead of Lulia, and Hilder onto the bench.

K-Man

Bench
Slightly back on topic, I'm really pleased with the De Gois signing. We actually picked up someone who was possibly our first choice, and that hasn't been too regular an occurrence in the last five years.

Yosh

Coach
So assuming we are only paying De Gois like 200k~250k (being genorous) and considering we will probably resign Aku, Dureau, Royal and Taufua how much cap space are we looking at here? How much do we have left to spend on a quality centre?

Looking at our roster, we probably will sign another 2 or 3 fringe guys at dirt cheap, maybe shed 2 or 3 frige guys such as Doogs x2 etc... I'm starting to think if we dont shed a decent player we probably cant afford a good centre... Collis will probalby demand a good 250k to 300k and Coops probably a 50k more then that dont you guys think?

knights_86

Juniors
back on to the bailey topic, again, i wouldnt mind seeing this pack at some stage;

8. royal
9. bedsy (although he needs to keep his form up with all of the quality hookers we currently have pushing for his spot...)
10. cross
11. simmo
12. patto
13. hilder

14. bailey
15. taia/houston
16. faaoso
17. wicks

hilder could go nuts in D for the first 20 and then bails could come on as a ball playing lock. hilder could come back on in the 2nd half and relieve danny for a bit if need be. gids, dureau and mullo seem to be sharing dannys workload a lot better this year though, and the dummy half running from jimmy etc is helping too (especially wicksy- he is lethal out of dummy half 65m out)

if not, i still think we could probably afford to carry both bails and hilder on the bench (with any two of tolar/wicks/richie/sarge), or at least see how we went with these two on the bench and the big boys starting.