What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Young

RPG437

Juniors
I'm prepared to give Young 3 games in charge.

Of course I want to see us winning, that would be a good start, however, for me, I want to see:

1. Change in attitude of the players
2. Change in 'style' of play
3. Some innovative attack plays
4. Better defense
5. Better use of the bench
6. Stick to his word about player performance
7. Intergrate some of our up and coming players in games that suit.
8. Dont play injured players

I'm curious to see his half-time talks, will they be calm and keep his head or a rant and rave (particularly if we are behind).

His first coaches review was pretty good now lets see him back the talk with the walk.

Agree. He spoke what a lot of us supporters have been seeing/thinking....
Eg Rav's hands initially and Norman got plenty to work on

gregstar

Referee
I have to admit.

It was pleasing to hear Younger at the press conference say that he had told the team upon taking over that they are no where near being contenders & that they are a long way behind the top sides who are.

Also that the fans & himself do not know what the team is about or stands for, effectively revealing Jowls as having been a complete waste of time & money.

None of this in any way suggests he is the answer, but I'm glad at least someone from the club has made such a statement.

We must continue to keep the "Sack Jowls" thread at the top of the page. Make it a sticky.

Lest we forget.

Spazer

Juniors
Dean definitely takes after Wayne Bennet's coaching style (opting for the 2 points, grinding out games, high completion, kicking for repeat sets, etc). I don't know if this style suits our team since our defence is pretty questionable at times and we struggle to maintain a decent lead but it worked okay against the broncs.

hazzbeen

Bench
Dean definitely takes after Wayne Bennet's coaching style (opting for the 2 points, grinding out games, high completion, kicking for repeat sets, etc). I don't know if this style suits our team since our defence is pretty questionable at times and we struggle to maintain a decent lead but it worked okay against the broncs.
Yes it did against a team that is struggling big time , As for Bennett's coaching for me its becoming out dated , he is just getting ready to retire so our club might just suit him .....

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Agree. He spoke what a lot of us supporters have been seeing/thinking....
Eg Rav's hands initially and Norman got plenty to work on
I noticed that in his language he was both recognising a strength whilst also highlighting improvements. Not limited to just these two players; these two were just brought up by the press, not Young. He just responded according, but could have been about anyone. Demonstrates toughness yet fairness in leadership style. He could have been talking about Clune’s front on defence or McInnes’ s poor grab, Aitken’s front on defence...He also kept it abstract enough to keep press and ALL players reflecting where those improvements may lie.
I loved his ‘were coming eleventh” putdown comment. Contrast this with McGregors’s rational and defensive type language... “ 80 minutes from a grand final, “they scored 5 tries but they were all kicks” or “ we were unbeatable that year..“.

Early days but good signs!

I was really impressed by Young's post-match presser. He knows the game and is clearly steeped in this club. It matters to him. The dismissive snort about "11th place" speaks volumes. 11th isn't a good look for this club and he wants better and appears to be demanding more from his players. He knows, like we all do, that it won't change overnight - it's going to take a lot of work to deprogram seven years of bad habits.
As for his bench rotation, I didn't see much place for Merrin in that game anyway. I would have gone for Sailor whose agility and kicking would have helped us turn Brisbane around. Last night's game was closer than it should have been and the defense was less than perfect ( esp Aitken who is now someone else's problem anyway) but also we had a fair try to Norman ruled out and Carigan should have spent time in the bin for taking Dufty out when chasing his own grubber.
I think we should make an effort to retain Host and Sailor beyond 2021, look for a quality centre and back rower and - if there's observable improvement in the side over the next couple of weeks - give Young the chance in 2021.

The Badger

Juniors
No thought of fatigue?
I can't see how Young read the game well by not using fresh players.Fresh players could have kept the Broncos down on their line after some great kick chases.Lawrie was asked to do too much .Very often we have fallen apart in the middle late in the game due to poor bench rotation.,often not using players at all.Korbin Sims is not the man to bring on with less than 10 minutes to go.He is a penalty magnet and not safe,thus dropped ball at the end of the game.

possm

Coach
I was really impressed by Young's post-match presser. He knows the game and is clearly steeped in this club. It matters to him. The dismissive snort about "11th place" speaks volumes. 11th isn't a good look for this club and he wants better and appears to be demanding more from his players. He knows, like we all do, that it won't change overnight - it's going to take a lot of work to deprogram seven years of bad habits.
As for his bench rotation, I didn't see much place for Merrin in that game anyway. I would have gone for Sailor whose agility and kicking would have helped us turn Brisbane around. Last night's game was closer than it should have been and the defense was less than perfect ( esp Aitken who is now someone else's problem anyway) but also we had a fair try to Norman ruled out and Carigan should have spent time in the bin for taking Dufty out when chasing his own grubber.
I think we should make an effort to retain Host and Sailor beyond 2021, look for a quality centre and back rower and - if there's observable improvement in the side over the next couple of weeks - give Young the chance in 2021.
You want to test Young for 3 of the easiest games we will play in 2020; Brisbane, Titans, and Cowboyss. How about we put those games in the getting started bin and test him against fair dinkum opposition in the last 3 games.

I'm tired of all of this spin by the Board, the CEO, and the mediocre fans who are all for another rookie coach. Truth is that there was very little change last night:
Selections nearly the same as under McGreggor.
The game plan look exactly the same.
Bench management was the same.

I would have like to see Dufty or sailor at 6, Ramsey at 2 and Feagai or Williame at left centre.

If there wasn't any concrete plan to use Merrin, then why not replace him on the bench with Blacker. Give him a few minutes and tell him to go flat out in attack and defense. Apart from Frizell all players who are moving-on or being moved on for 2021, should be dropped and replaced with young juniors or fringe players to prepare for 2021.

This is what happens when you make it clear that the interim coach is being trialed for a possible contract for 2021 and beyond. The said coach is more interested in his own career than the best interest of the team being prepared and developed for season 2021. I say the Board should have had a 2021 head coach approved and ready to be announced directly after the sacking of Mary was announced.

The appointment of Young as interim head coach for the rest of season 2020. Good experience for Young and most of all would allow Young to enjoy the experience.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
No thought of fatigue?
That’s right, plus if Host did come off for a spell he could have been there ready to fill in the centre’s if need be. I can’t see any of the other guys in Merrin, Lawrie, Vaughan etc going there. Hopefully once we get Ford and Tyrell back they can kill two birds with one stone as they can both play centre and back row. For mine though Host has cemented his spot. He will push one of Ford, Tyrell or Mez out.

Latest posts