What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defence is the key.

Rooster Cogburn. said:
I've heard of those suburbs because of the despicable crimes that come from there that get reported.
As far as the GF goes, it was 2 tries to 1 with a few minutes left, Anyone would think that Penrith scored 7 tries the way you lot are carrying on. You have boasting rights at the moment but that will all change, mark my words! ;-)

Another pathetic attempt at a comeback Cogburn, but you haven't answered my question?? After all, we are supposed to be talking about Defence as well aren't we??

How was the Rooster's Defence in the Grand Final of 2003??? What happened to the team that "boasts" the best defensive record in 2003???

And here's another pearler of a question for you. Actually I've asked it before but you haven't given an answer as yet........

What have the sydney roosters team achieved in the NRL Telstra Premiership season of 2003????

Big Panther Cool said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:
I've heard of those suburbs because of the despicable crimes that come from there that get reported.
As far as the GF goes, it was 2 tries to 1 with a few minutes left, Anyone would think that Penrith scored 7 tries the way you lot are carrying on. You have boasting rights at the moment but that will all change, mark my words! ;-)

Another pathetic attempt at a comeback Cogburn, but you haven't answered my question?? After all, we are supposed to be talking about Defence as well aren't we??

How was the Rooster's Defence in the Grand Final of 2003??? What happened to the team that "boasts" the best defensive record in 2003???

And here's another pearler of a question for you. Actually I've asked it before but you haven't given an answer as yet........

What have the sydney roosters team achieved in the NRL Telstra Premiership season of 2003????

I've answered your question but you are too stupid to accept it. As I said, live it up while you can, I'll be sure to remind you of Penrith's mediocrity during 2004. :D

Rooster Cogburn. said:
I've answered your question but you are too stupid to accept it. As I said, live it up while you can, I'll be sure to remind you of Penrith's mediocrity during 2004. :D

I can accept the fact that the ROOSTERS DEFENCE could not match that of the Panthers. You can't!!!!

sydney roosters - no titles in the NRL premiership in 2003:lol:

Poor COGBURN - You obviously feel like a goose now for heaping crap on Brad Fittler's stomping ground!! Now who's stupid??? :lol: :lol: :lol: And worst (or should I say best) of all - YOUR STUPIDITY IS HERE FOR ALL TO SEE!!!!

Big Panther Cool said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:

I can accept the fact that the ROOSTERS DEFENCE could not match that of the Panthers. You can't!!!!

sydney roosters - no titles in the NRL premiership in 2003:lol:

Poor COGBURN - You obviously feel like a goose now for heaping crap on Brad Fittler's stomping ground!! Now who's stupid??? :lol: :lol: :lol: And worst (or should I say best) of all - YOUR STUPIDITY IS HERE FOR ALL TO SEE!!!!

I didn't mention Cambridge Park, you did. I was talking about the scumbag areas where the Cobby killers and the lowlifes that murdered Janine Balding are from.

PB

Bench
What about those gangs who beat up and mug a guy who his holding a baby...... Where was that again.............

PB said:
What about those gangs who beat up and mug a guy who his holding a baby...... Where was that again.............

Maroubra, which is Souths territory! and the bastards that did it were from Bankstown!

Rooster Cogburn. said:
I didn't mention Cambridge Park, you did. I was talking about the scumbag areas where the Cobby killers and the lowlifes that murdered Janine Balding are from.

Brad Fittler went to school in Emu Plains you xenophobic idiot!!! He went to McCarthy Senior High.

In previous posts, you've made sweeping generalisations about the west and its inhabitants. Cambridge Park is in the west, and therefore, you have bagged out a part of town where your team captain grew up!!! :roll: :roll:

YOU JUST LOVE GETTING JARRED DON'T YOU COGBURN???? :lol: :lol:

A display of MORE STUPIDITY from ROOSTER COGBURN for EVERYONE TO SEE!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

PB

Bench
Rooster Cogburn. said:
PB said:

Maroubra, which is Souths territory! and the bastards that did it were from Bankstown!

Well perhaps you bagged ou thwere they lived and they were looking for you.

Still we should over look things like those singapore girls that were murdered, perhaps they didnt fit the "status" of eastern suburb people. What about those school kids last year who went on a destruction path through Bondi (or do you classify bondi as south sydney to!) The gold plated streets of the eastern suburbs arent all high and mighty. The only thing that prevents more crimes occurring in the eatern suburbs, is because everyone under the age of 25 is whacked out on their designer drugs!

Pantherjim.

Referee
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Pantherjim. said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Big Panther Cool said:
Rooster Cogburn. said:
BTW thanks OVP for your kind words and yes you're right, It's hard to talk logically to morons. :roll:

You need to be able to TALK LOGIC before you can talk logically to anyone Cogburn :lol: :lol: Something which you are obviously incapable of doing, judging by some of the posts you've made.

I mention the word moron and look who rears his head! The wanker from Mt Druitt. :lol:

Not all Penrith supporters live in Mt. Druitt you narrow-minded, xenophobic imbecile, we come from all over!
BTW, I'd rather live in the Western Suburbs than in Coogee, Randwick or Bondi.
At least In Penrith for $700,000 + you can buy a 5-6 bedroom mansion on an acre block with swimming pool, 3 garages, well landscaped, double brick etc. For the same amount of money in the Eastern suburbs you'll be lucky if you get a circa 1890 3 bedroom butterbox with no back yard or place to park, Surrounded by heroin injecting rooms and methadone clinics.
Give me the West over your overcrowded, congested, poluted, drug-ridden and motorist-unfriendly suburbs any day pal.
:D
Pantherjim.

Mt Druitt, Emu plains, Blackett, Bidwill, Dharruk etc, etc.... All 2 headed crime infested suburbs! I'll stay in the beautuful east, thanks all the same! ;-)

"Beautuful" East - Can't Say Eastern Suburbs public School's English criteria was up to scratch in your day! Shouldn't it be "Beautiful"? :lol:

You can stay in your drug-infested seedy Queer-arse Suburb, where metho men are a pleanty, and Hetrosexual night clubs are as scarce as hen's teeth, if you wish, but don't criticise us for where we live unless you wan't an earful back!

Can Anyone cast their mind back to the footy show (I think it was the episode before the preliminary finals) Where Reg Regan went to Double Bay to see if He could find some Roosters supporters? The vast majority of the people he interviewed didn't even know who the Roosters were! :lol: :lol: :lol: Killing!

Pantherjim.

Canterbury

Juniors
Pantherjim. said:
Can Anyone cast their mind back to the footy show (I think it was the episode before the preliminary finals) Where Reg Regan went to Double Bay to see if He could find some Roosters supporters? The vast majority of the people he interviewed didn't even know who the Roosters were! :lol: :lol: :lol: Killing!

Pantherjim.

i remember that.. biggest laugh out of reg ragens segment i ever got. ;-)

Canterbury said:
Pantherjim. said:

Pantherjim.

i remember that.. biggest laugh out of reg ragens segment i ever got. ;-)

Why do you fools think that Johns chose Double Bay? You people are so thick. For the uneducated, Double Bay is hardly a suburb full of Rugby league supporters. It is full of people like Renee Rivkin, Mary Fairfax and homo hairdresser Joh Bailey who probably thinks footy is a term for some sexual act!
There's plenty of Roosters fans in Bondi, Bondi Junction, Randwick, Waverley, Clovelly, Coogee, Bronte etc.
As I said, give me the Eastern Suburbs any day over those sh1thole suburbs out west.
I find it funny that Penrith's better paid players live on the Northern beaches and who could blame them? Why would you live in a hole like Penrith and it's surrounding suburbs if you could afford to live in civilised surroundings? ;-)

PB

Bench
"Rooster Cogburn."

I find it funny that Penrith's better paid players live on the Northern beaches and who could blame them? Why would you live in a hole like Penrith and it's surrounding suburbs if you could afford to live in civilised surroundings? ;-)

Brad Fittler may have moved, but up until at least a year ago he was leaving at Collaroy or Dee Why was he not?????
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Personally i grew up in Baulkham Hills/Castle Hill, where there is bugger all crime rate and a pretty good standard of living. I love the suburbs, and these days i live in Wolongong (where the suburbs meet the beach). the only thing the Eastern Suburbs having going for them is the tiny strip on their most easterly part (i.e the beach, but they are the crappiest beaches in NSW).

If someone told me i had to do my christmas shopping at either Bondi Junction or Blacktown, Westpoint, i would happily drive the extra 40 minutes to Blacktown, than deal with all the snooty, bratish people in the eastern suburbs who think they are all high and mighty.

Fittler lives in the city with his girl.
As for the beaches in the East, Bronte, Clovelly and Coogee are nice. Bondi used to be good but is now full of westies who swim in their king gee shorts and use beer cartons to sunbake on. Their idea of a smoothie is the finish on their recently polished HQ kingswood. :lol:

antonius

Coach
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Their idea of a smoothie is the finish on their recently polished HQ kingswood. :lol:
Your a bit of a smoothie aren't you Clag?? ;-) especially with a Breezer in hand. :D

Encurly

Juniors
Meanwhile, back on the topic.

Rooster Cogburn. said:
A look at the statistics of any premiership winning team will reveal one bon fide fact and that is that the winner invariably boasted either the best defensive record or the 2nd best.

That just doesn't hold water when you actually look at the figures. You did do that when you made that assertion, didn't you. Looking at the ranking of the grand final winner for the six years of the NRL, you get:

1998 Brisbane - Attack: 1; Defence: 1; For and Against: 1
1999 Melbourne - A: 1; D: 5; F/A: 2
2000 Brisbane - A: 1; D: 1; F/A: 1
2001 Newcastle - A: 2; D: 9; F/A: 3
2002 Sydney - A: 6; D: 1; F/A: 4
2003 Penrith - A: 3; D: 6; F/A: 4

So only in one year out of the last 6 has the premiership winning team had a better defensive ranking than attacking. In three of those years their attacking ranking was higher than their defensive, and in two cases the team was clearly the best in both aspects.

So, in general, attacking prowess is at least as important as defensive.

Encurly said:
Meanwhile, back on the topic.

Rooster Cogburn. said:
A look at the statistics of any premiership winning team will reveal one bon fide fact and that is that the winner invariably boasted either the best defensive record or the 2nd best.

That just doesn't hold water when you actually look at the figures. You did do that when you made that assertion, didn't you. Looking at the ranking of the grand final winner for the six years of the NRL, you get:

1998 Brisbane - Attack: 1; Defence: 1; For and Against: 1
1999 Melbourne - A: 1; D: 5; F/A: 2
2000 Brisbane - A: 1; D: 1; F/A: 1
2001 Newcastle - A: 2; D: 9; F/A: 3
2002 Sydney - A: 6; D: 1; F/A: 4
2003 Penrith - A: 3; D: 6; F/A: 4

So only in one year out of the last 6 has the premiership winning team had a better defensive ranking than attacking. In three of those years their attacking ranking was higher than their defensive, and in two cases the team was clearly the best in both aspects.

So, in general, attacking prowess is at least as important as defensive.

I'm talking about all time, not just the last 6 years. :roll:

Encurly

Juniors
Rooster Cogburn said:

You said any premiership side will invariably have the best or second best defensive record. A look at recent history shows that's patently not true, and that attack is at least as important.

You can provide the figures for the other 91 premierships if you would like to prove your case, rather than relying on assertion. As you get further back, though, the rules and style of play differ more and more from the modern game. So while you may be able to say that "Defence is the key" for games in the 50's to 70's, you must concede that both attack and defence are important factors in a modern premiership campaign.

:roll: yourself.

PB

Bench
Encurly said:
Rooster Cogburn said:

You said any premiership side will invariably have the best or second best defensive record. A look at recent history shows that's patently not true, and that attack is at least as important.

You can provide the figures for the other 91 premierships if you would like to prove your case, rather than relying on assertion. As you get further back, though, the rules and style of play differ more and more from the modern game. So while you may be able to say that "Defence is the key" for games in the 50's to 70's, you must concede that both attack and defence are important factors in a modern premiership campaign.

:roll: yourself.

agree. There is no point looking beyond about 1998 because the game has progressed and changed so much. 9 times out of 10 the team who defends best will probably win a game, and that is because, if team A is defending better, then team B isnt able to attack well, and team A's attack is probably better due to pressure mounting, field position etc...and thus they win! Amazing.

So please don't think you have re-invented the wheel with this mind blowing statement "Defence is the key". It is Peter Sterling's little love saying when talking about semi finals and finals..... Funny that Rooster would agree with him since he is a country boy who lived in the burbs for a long time, and has never and will never live in the eastern suburbs....... ;-) :lol:

JJ

Immortal
Settle down girls

Cogburn Cogburn Cogburn. Let's review - Penrith finished above the Roosters on the table, won 2 out of 3 games against the Roosters (and you seem to selectively recall the first half of the 1 game the Roosters won), and comfortably won the Grand Final (the one that counts!!!). None of this means the Roosters are a better team. Take your pills and go and sit quietly in the corner please.

A few posts ago, someone pointed out that the team with the best season long defence doesn't often win the comp. True, at least since 1998 according to his stats (Rooster rolled his eyes and said all time, but didn't provide evidence). Seems to me that teams such as Penrith this year, and Canberra in the late 80s early 90s had ordinary/good defence all year, and really lifted in the semis. Obviously at semi-final time, intensity lifts...

Latest posts