What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Definition of a choke?

Fein

First Grade
bwaaah! hahahaha

don't worry champ.

no one will ever associate souffs with choking.

Special people.

Special tag.

Choke on buddy.

Choke on, choooooooke ooooon,

with hope, in your heart,

and you'll never walk alone, AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol::lol:

Kenny Powers

Juniors
Going by that definition, whenever a sporting upset occurs, does that mean that the losing team choked? Does that mean that the Roosters choked in 03'?

Read my post again, an upset can occur in any game no matter what is weighing on the result. A choke occurs when the favourite gets beaten when it counts and there is no possibility for redemption. The Dragon's choked, plain and simple but you can continue to waffle on if you choose to.
If I wanted to, I could say Parra never choked in '98 they were just out of gas and outplayed for 10 minutes.

Why would the Roosters be considered as chokers in '03? They were beaten by the minor premiers...

Ridders

Coach
A choke occurs when the favourite gets beaten when it counts and there is no possibility for redemption.

How is that any different from an upset you dunce?

If I wanted to, I could say Parra never choked in '98 they were just out of gas and outplayed for 10 minutes.

Um, not you couldn't. Parra were in a dominating position with only 11 minutes to go in a Prelim Final, yet somehow let Canterbury back in, while at no stage in either of Saints losses were they up by much.At no point in either of their losses were the Saints in a winning position, hence to try and bring up Parra 98 is ridiculous.

Shorty

Staff member
This is completely a choke, I can't understand why it wouldn't be.
They weren't outplayed, they would have had to be in the game to have been outplayed.

Read my post again, an upset can occur in any game no matter what is weighing on the result. A choke occurs when the favourite gets beaten when it counts and there is no possibility for redemption. The Dragon's choked, plain and simple but you can continue to waffle on if you choose to.

Why would the Roosters be considered as chokers in '03? They were beaten by the minor premiers...

For me, the 03 GF was one of those classic games where it was finely balanced until that Sattler tackle which ultimately swung the game. We weren't favorites for the 04 final but I think we choked in that one. We had a surprising halftime lead but didn't have the mental strength to deal with it.

As for Saints, I say choke as surely there has to be some kind of collective psychological hurdle that has formed by now. Similar to Cronulla.

Tom Ace

Bench
more right to what?? be pricks?

i would rather have a team of lovely boys who don't sh*t in hallways than a premiership to be quiet honest. least i can wear my jersey with pride.

Lovely boys?!

Sorry, but that just cracked me up.

RedV6

Juniors
How can being minor premiers and then losing in straight sets to teams 6 & 8 NOT be a choke? It's almost the pure definition...

Given all teams do not play each other twice, some teams have a better draw, travel less etc. That is why the positions in the 8 cannot be true reflection of teams throughout the year. The Dragons donot have the best list, they performed ( exceeded expectations) as Team. They do not have a game breaker.

I saying all that it is clear if teams had played each other twice a more realistica 8 /finals serious would have seen Parra finish higher, tigers make the finals, knights lower and maybe dragons and dogs lower....so on

So are we actually not giving Brisbane and Parra credit and saying they only look good because the Dragons Choke.

YOU ARE A PARRA SUPPORTER...YOUR CALL

I would have given you more credit than you did....

Hari Kari

Juniors
All these pathetic excuses and whimpering.

The Dragons C H O K E D !!!!!

Big Dell is writing newspaper columns claiming he's not a choker, know why? Because he C H O K E D !!!!!

You could set your calendar to September just by watching the Dragons have their annual C H O K E .

The Dragons are C H O K E R S !!!!

They choked this year, they choked last year and the year before that and will choke again next year.

Get used to it. :lol:

Ridders

Coach
Read my post again, an upset can occur in any game no matter what is weighing on the result. A choke occurs when the favourite gets beaten when it counts and there is no possibility for redemption.

Hey Kenny quick question. Since the Eels will be favourites going into the game on Friday, if they get beat when it counts, does that mean they choked?

jimmythehand

Juniors
Hey Kenny quick question. Since the Eels will be favourites going into the game on Friday, if they get beat when it counts, does that mean they choked?

If they were in a very strong position to win the game, and suddenly they stop performing and play like crap then yes it's a choke.

oh wait, that's what happened to the dragons this year. Very strong position to win the title (or so the thousands of fans singing 'oh when the saints' would tell you), stopped performing and played like crap for the rest of the year. They choked.

Ridders

Coach
My statement was more in reference to Kenny's awesome definition of a choke, which pretty much refers to any upset.

I feel like i've made this argument 1000 times but i'll do it one more time, its not like St.George started playing badly the moment of the Finals began and its not like they were in a winning position in either of their losses. I don't see how it's a choke when the Saints weren't in a winning position in either of their Finals games and its not like their form preceding the Finals was crash hot either.

But you know what, everyone has their own opinion and i don't intend to change anyone's. Just voicing my own.

The Tank

Bench
It was a choke of epic proportions but I wish my team were in such a position to choke. Instead, we're just plain sh*t.

typicalfan

Coach
Don't worry, the Roosters choked this year as well. Up 16-0 with the wooden spoon nearly gone they choked and lost 32-16.

That is a good example of a choke.

jimmythehand

Juniors
the dragons choked on their season, not in a particular match. As I've said before you can trace it back to that match where the crowd was singing 'oh when the saints' for the 2nd half. That was too much for a bunch of chokers to handle.

Latest posts