What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did Jarrod Croker choke ?

Did Jarrod croker choke when kicking for goal ?

• yes

Votes: 157 64.1%
  • no

Votes: 88 35.9%

• Total voters

skeepe

Immortal
it was striking... a blatant assault.

:lol:

Ignoring the fact that you're completely off your tree, I'll reiterate:

Learn the rules before you embarrass yourself further.

The sin bin can't be used for striking either, imagined or not.

GongPanther

Referee
Can you imagine that this "Choking" tag will stick like hard mud in the noon-day Sun if the Dragons lose again...

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Can you imagine that this "Choking" tag will stick like hard mud in the noon-day Sun if the Dragons lose again...

Like it hasn't stuck hard since 99 and 05? :lol:

It'd be the same as every other year. Hell even if we win it, I'm sure some people will still call us chokers.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I can't believe you all got it wrong. There is also another possible result from a shot at goal, that of the ball landing and stopping on top of the upright or crossbar. Meaning there is only a 33% chance of a goal kick being successful.

But, getting a result, any result, from a shot at goal is 100%.

Raiders not Premiers, why would Dragons fans be sh!tting bricks about playing your mob when there was a 50% chance they would beat you?
Decades ago, in the time when balls had a bladder, there was a brain teaser for referees:

The goal kicker kicks the ball, the ball is punctured and deflates whilst travelling towards the uprights, dropping from the air and landing on the crossbar - motionless and out of reach.

What ruling does the referee make?

It was supposed to be one of those questions designed to make referees think, but ref legend Col Pearce gave his answer without hesitation.

"I would call it a miracle!" he said.

He quickly followed this up with a fair dinkum answer. He said, believe it or not, the rules (perhaps by accident) allow for this scenario. If a ball can't be used, it is considered a dead ball and therefore no longer in play.

So for Col Pearce, it was a simple question to answer:

"I would tell the player to kick it again."

From an old book, 'Gregorys Guide to Rugby League' (1965)

Big Pete

Referee
:lol: @ skeepe blaming the ref.

What about Campo crawling 3-4m off the mark to give Harrison all the momentum close to the line? Bet you were happy about that?

Better team won and I'm glad to see a Dragons/Tigers Semi.

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
Raiders_Premiers,

Given your argument about situational probability, shouldn't you modify it such that we have to look at the probability of Croker kicking that goal in the following situations:

- 76th minute of a Preliminary Final, when his team is 2 points behind.
- Weather is cold, slight breeze from the south.
- Time is approximately 9pm.
- Kicking from the exact same spot.

And multiple other variables??

Surely if you disregard his 84% success rate from all areas of the field combined with all other variables, then you must disregard any goalkicks he may have taken from that exact blade of grass at 11am on a Thursday morning with no crowd and a strong wind blowing from the north-east? And so on and so forth.

This would effectively mean that every single goalkick from any single player (or even someone who does not play the game) has the exact same probability of success, with each goalkick event being completely statistically independent from all other previous goalkick events.

Given this newfound knowledge, we should institute a policy whereby goalkickers are swapped on a rotation basis.

Alternatively, using the converse of this theory and applying your theory in full, in Round 26 Jeff Lima nailed a conversion from 10m out, directly in front ... I therefore propose that his new club, Wigan Warriors, should use his services WHENEVER there is a goal kick to be taken from 10m out, right in front. This is because he has a 100% success rate from this position, and would therefore never miss.

Unfortunately this does not quite tie in with your earlier assertions that any given goalkick only has a 50/50 chance of being successful.

The to-ing and fro-ing is about to blow up calculators all over the world.

In conclusion - Jeff Lima's 100% success rate will be a key to Wigan's potential success in the Super League next year.

:lol: @ skeepe blaming the ref.

What about Campo crawling 3-4m off the mark to give Harrison all the momentum close to the line? Bet you were happy about that?

Better team won and I'm glad to see a Dragons/Tigers Semi.

Nonsense, the Tigers haven't won a game without the refs help in their 11 seasons of playing in the NRL.

On the flipside, if the Refs were perfect the Raiders would be unbeaten since 1982, and the Dragons 11 premierships in a row would be nothing compared to what the Raiders would do.

bileduct

Coach
Certainty of thousands of Dragons supporters glad Jarrod Croker missed the kick and the Dragons didn't have to play the Raiders next week. 100 per cent.

Imbeciles.
Are you serious? If I were the Dragons I would have preferred to play the Raiders this weekend.

With Campese, Tongue and Fensom out playing against a full strength Dragons in Sydney, there is no way the Raiders were going to win.

_Johnsy

Referee
Are you serious? If I were the Dragons I would have preferred to play the Raiders this weekend.

With Campese, Tongue and Fensom out playing against a full strength Dragons in Sydney, there is no way the Raiders were going to win.

No, apparently we were sh*tting ourselves (based on all reports out of Canberra). Serioulsy.:lol:

bileduct

Coach
I reckon he choked, as evidenced by his reaction.

I don't believe he would have been quite as upset had the kick been right from the sideline.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Shhhh... no heresy please. When greeneyed makes up his mind, it is the only truth.

bileduct

Coach
No, apparently we were sh*tting ourselves (based on all reports out of Canberra). Serioulsy.:lol:
Without those injuries and had they won the game you would have been.

Not sure why Raiders fans were so confident of defeating a team they failed to twice during the regular season, however.