What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disgraceful Shameful NRL Signing

Eels Dude

Coach
On another note Daine Laurie who plays for the Panthers served a 12 month stint in prison while he was younger after being convicted of an assault charge. But I don't see to many people coming on here demanding he be deregistered.

Slammin

Juniors
I don't believe you would be too stupid to not know why it matters. You can post what the assault was or continue to troll. Your choice.

Eels Dude

Coach
I don't believe you would be too stupid to not know why it matters. You can post what the assault was or continue to troll. Your choice.

I don't know what the assault was for actually. But regardless my point is what it was for is irrelevent. He spent 12 months in prison. The reason we have a judicial system that hands out punishments is because the every day person cannot separate their emotions to make a fair decision. So we need blanket laws to cover everything.

If you're going to take the moral high ground and say Metcalf should be banned from the NRL for life, then you have to say the same for Laurie who served a similarly long prison sentence. Regardless of what the crime was it shouldn't matter. You're not the courts.

El Diablo

Post Whore
No mate I was saying that most people are not ok with him playing NRL. Sorry if there was some confusion.

I too am basing this on conversations with others about this situation. Talk to any female about the nature of this guys crime and I doubt too many of them are keen to see him run around in their clubs colours. I doubt that there are sponsores wanting to be associated with him either. The NRL is a multi million dollar sport that really shouldn't be associated with this bloke.

It is entirely possible that his actions are one that he deeply regrets and that he is a different person now. I just don't think that given the nature of that crime he should be allowed anywhere near the NRL regardless of him doing his time or how sorry he is. This might seem harsh but there are numerous other proffesions that he would be able to pursue becasue of his crime eg teaching, police officer etc etc.

If this guys plays for the Warriors again it will certainly effect the way I view them.

but you still love Collingwood and AFL :lol:

Fingerbang

Bench
Who the hell is saying this? You're arguing with yourself.

The NRL is a sporting organisation that relies on sponsors for the game to survive. No sponsor is going to want to be associated with a person like that and if the is a big media fuss about it you may very well see sponsors pulling out.

I don't think he should be punished for life but i also would never be dumb enough to sign him to an NRL club.

Also if my brother commited a crime like this i would never talk to them again no matter what punishment they served. It's a dispicable act and i want nothing to do with someone capable of performing it.
Oh...okay. So no one here is saying he should be banned from NRL for life....riiiight.

And you would never be smart enough to run an NRL club.

I guess we will see if NRL / Warriors sponsors start dropping out, hey. In the meantime, that is just an opinion....not a fact.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Who the hell is saying this? You're arguing with yourself.

The NRL is a sporting organisation that relies on sponsors for the game to survive. No sponsor is going to want to be associated with a person like that and if the is a big media fuss about it you may very well see sponsors pulling out.

I don't think he should be punished for life but i also would never be dumb enough to sign him to an NRL club.

Also if my brother commited a crime like this i would never talk to them again no matter what punishment they served. It's a dispicable act and i want nothing to do with someone capable of performing it.

how many sponsors have they lost this year because of this?

butchmcdick

Post Whore
but you still love Collingwood and AFL :lol:

I think you are confusing me with another poster El. I have no love for Collingwood. Given the amount of posts you have concerning AFL i think you are obsessed with AFL.

What are your thoughts on the warriors signing this player ?

Slammin

Juniors
If you're going to take the moral high ground and say Metcalf should be banned from the NRL for life, then you have to say the same for Laurie who served a similarly long prison sentence. Regardless of what the crime was it shouldn't matter. You're not the courts.

Apples and oranges son. Each case needs to be looked at on its merits. Your line of thinking is black and white. So in that I do not have to say the same for Laurie, it would be nice if you provided the info on his assault though.

Prison sentence length isn't much of a justification for your argument since we could be talking between different state and countries. Also depends on the magistrate too.

Eels Dude

Coach
Apples and oranges son. Each case needs to be looked at on its merits. Your line of thinking is black and white. So in that I do not have to say the same for Laurie, it would be nice if you provided the info on his assault though.

Prison sentence length isn't much of a justification for your argument since we could be talking between different state and countries. Also depends on the magistrate too.

As I said before I don't know details of his assault conviction. It occured 5 years or so before he was an NRL player.

But you are correct with apples and oranges, and that's why we have a judicial system that sets up minimum and maximum punishments for each crime.

Whether you like it or not the law works in black and white with shades of grey in there too. It has to. So while one person may think it's a crime of the century and may have gotten off lightly, which I'd agree with, at the end of the day he's payed his debt to society and should be given the right to make a life for himself now.

A lot of people than end up career criminals simply do so because they're not given that second chance to make a life for themself outside a life of crime. So they're forced to turn back to a life of crime. It does more damage to society than it does help it.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
not as strange as you

not an aboriginal hater like you either

Wow El how long did you search for that quote ? A bit stalker like really.

So El are you in favor of this guy playing NRL again or are you going to just chuck a few insults my way ?

Slammin

Juniors
Whether you like it or not the law works in black and white with shades of grey in there too. It has to. So while one person may think it's a crime of the century and may have gotten off lightly, which I'd agree with, at the end of the day he's payed his debt to society and should be given the right to make a life for himself now.

You say shades of grey whilst I'd say a sh*t ton of grey areas.

Yes we all know legally he has served his time as per his sentence. He does have the right to make a life for himself but that doesn't mean he won't be scrutinised where ever he goes.

There are some places he will never be able to work because of his crime, he could apply for the cops and they'll take the application happily and return a "we regret to inform you" letter.

Whether you like it or not his crime will follow him forever, and should. Finishing a sentence doesn't mean you get a clean slate. Many job applications (been a few years since I've had to do one) have the {tick this box if you have been convicted}. He could apply to become a midwife but I doubt anyone would hire him.

But instead the Warriors gave him a contract and now kids can cheer on their new hero, his ex gf can get to see his name and face in the paper week in and out and his daughter when (if she doesn't know already) she finds out who she is can get to watch him every weekend. Lucky her.

joshie

Live Update Team
he has done his time. he should not be judged of his old actions, i dont see a problem. but what he did was terrible.

Latest posts