What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disgraceful Shameful NRL Signing

Eels Dude

Coach
If I kill someone tonite and am never caught or charged, am I a murderer?

Right so now we've established that I am we can agree that it is possible to be guilty of murder or assault or theft, etc without actually being found guilty in a court.
Cheers

As I said earlier only you know, but it wouldn't be fair for me or anyone else to call you a murderer because it's just an assumption. For all I know you could already be a murderer, but that doesn't give me the right to call you one.

BunniesMan

Immortal
It's far from perfect. But it's unfair to assume anyone not guilty of a crime could still actually be guilty but that's up to the court's to decide. Let's look at Brett Stewart for example. Is he still a potential rapist? Or do we give him the benfit of the doubt and take the court's word he's not guilty?
Eels Dude is the one person talking sense here.
Your grasp on reality is an indication of the sad state our school system is in Bunniesman.
The school system (the private schools I went to) taught me a healthy respect for the legal system we have in this country. We're incredibly fortunate to have it. And it may seem unfair when you see people get off lightly when you THINK they deserve more, but you sure as hell would want those protections if you ever found yourself accused of something you didn't do.

Assault is not a word you can just throw around. It is something you have to be found guilty of.

Fact: Greg Inglis acknowledged pushing Sally with open hands.
Fact: Sally herself disagreed with much of what the prosecution was pushing.
Fact: Greg Inglis has never been found guilty of any crime, including assault. Assault is not a general word, it is a specific technical word. He did not commit assault.
Fact: Greg Inglis, in the eyes of law, is a fine and upstanding citizen.
Fact: Greg Inglis is an asset to the game on and off the field. I know multiple women who consider him a hero who was treated unfairly by the media and the courts.

Now let's stop talking about Greg Inglis and talk about someone who is actually a criminal who has actually committed terrible crimes. This Metcalf scumbag. It's an embarassment to the league that he could be playing again.

BunniesMan

Immortal
if you wrap your car around a pole it means that you have done something pretty damn stupid & deserve to be labelled a dangerous driver..

(and i can speak from experience having been a passenger in a car that was split in two after hitting a concrete pole..)

show me one person who has "accidentally" wrapped their car around a pole after doing a simple mistake...
Ok how about someoing going the opposite way is drunk and going 150. He crosses the line and you swerve out of the way. You lose control and spin out, your reflxes aren't good enough to stop it and you hit the pole.

When it makes the papers they might not know about the car going 150 the other way, they might see one car around a pole and think "scum street racer".

Court finds out your not guilty of anything and you just made a mistake in how you swerved. (there is a technique to doing it properly). But countless bogan fools insist you're criminal scum because of misleading newspaper headlines and overreager journos.

We have a justice system for a reason, and it's simply unfair to accuse people of criminal acts when they weren't found guilty. They may or may not have done it (only Inglis and his now wife know 100%) but it is grossly unfair to say they did.

He acknowledged pushing her. There is so much more needed than just the act itself for it to be defined as assault. We k now the papers hate footy players and are always looking to find something on them. Nevermind giving them a fair go.

Shorty

Staff member
BM, I've read some of your posts, and you aren't the d**khead some on here make you out to be.
But you seem to be able to be wound up like a little jack russell, you just keep biting and biting.

DJShaksta

First Grade
So I can go around pushing people and there's nothing I can be charged with - awesome.
I'm going for a walk through the CBD.

Te Kaha

First Grade
fmd, you can't just use words like assault. Words like assault (and murder and manslaughter etc) are technical words. They are crimes, establishing a crime happened is way more complicated than people think, it's not like the cop shows on tv. From establishising actus reus and mens rea etc, and things like motive, extenuating circumstances etc.

The only thing we know is Greg Inglis acknowledging pushing her with open hands. That is all we know. That is entirely different to "committing assault" like you claim, which he clearly didn't.

If you wrap your car around a pole tomorrow (and manage to survive) how would you like it if ignorant idiots all over the place accused you of criminal acts like dangerous driving when a court didn't even find you guilty, when all the court did was to get you to acknowledge making a mistake on the road? That's what people like you have no problem doing with Inglis.

You are wrong... utterly wrong.... who ever taught you law should be fired!!

Part of the diversion process, is to admit your guilt and show remorse. what he did was classed as assault, he admitted doing it. HE COMMITED ASSAULT. As he was accepted for diversion, no record of guilt and therefore no record of conviction is entered. That does not mean he didnt do it. There is a reason you are only eligble for diversion once.

BunniesMan

Immortal
BM, I've read some of your posts, and you aren't the d**khead some on here make you out to be.
But you seem to be able to be wound up like a little jack russell, you just keep biting and biting.
When I've got more time than I know what to do with (whole day off today) I take the time to point out to people when they're just plain wrong. Combine that with an issue I hold dearly (I was a big fan of Inglis from long before we signed him, and the way the media made him out to be the devil infuriates me) and the way geniused morons lap up sensationalist headlines does create a bit of a perfect storm for me to get worked up.

On a related note, IMO the media should be banned on reporting on court cases until a verdict is reached. Reputations are ruined far too often for no reason, Stewart and Inglis are classic examples.

Hutty1986

Immortal
When I've got more time than I know what to do with (whole day off today) I take the time to point out to people when they're just plain wrong. Combine that with an issue I hold dearly (I was a big fan of Inglis from long before we signed him, and the way the media made him out to be the devil infuriates me) and the way geniused morons lap up sensationalist headlines does create a bit of a perfect storm for me to get worked up.

On a related note, IMO the media should be banned on reporting on court cases until a verdict is reached. Reputations are ruined far too often for no reason, Stewart and Inglis are classic examples.

Stewart is, your fat centre isn't. He committed assault, you muppet

BunniesMan

Immortal
You are wrong... utterly wrong.... who ever taught you law should be fired!!

Part of the diversion process, is to admit your guilt and show remorse. what he did was classed as assault, he admitted doing it. HE COMMITED ASSAULT. As he was accepted for diversion, no record of guilt and therefore no record of conviction is entered. That does not mean he didnt do it. There is a reason you are only eligble for diversion once.
It comes down to this. Show me where his guilty conviction is? Oh right YOU CAN'T. He has a perfect record, he has never plead guilty to anything in his life, he has never been convicted of anything in his life. He is a fine and upstanding citizen in the eyes of the law.

End of discussion.

BunniesMan

Immortal
All I can say is when the PM (or whoever it is) puts a Clive Churchill medal around his neck after we win #21 it will have a whole lot of extra satisfaction come with it because everyone of you geniuss who continue to accuse him of things he hasn't done. There really has never been a better use of the phrase "your mum should have swallowed".

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
When I've got more time than I know what to do with (whole day off today) I take the time to point out to people when they're just plain wrong.

really? i go about doing what i like to do and don't really care if other people or wrong or not..

so long as they are not impacting on my day & my life, it's all good..

coolumsharkie

Referee
I personally don't think he should be allowed to play professional footy, the act even as a youngster is pretty horrible. Enough for me not to want to cheer him on the sidelines.

Each to their own though.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It comes down to this. Show me where his guilty conviction is? Oh right YOU CAN'T. He has a perfect record, he has never plead guilty to anything in his life, he has never been convicted of anything in his life. He is a fine and upstanding citizen in the eyes of the law.

a fine, upstanding citizen who was forced to undertake a diversion order..

of course,that's how our society works.. just the other day i saw a group of nuns in a chain gang...

End of discussion.

why then did you post another post after this one?

Te Kaha

First Grade

End of discussion.

are you stupid? really? he doesnt have a conviction, he does have a record. What will happen if he does something stupid and tries to get diversion again??? he wont get it... why? because he already has his single allowable instance of diversion ON HIS RECORD.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
There really has never been a better use of the phrase "your mum should have swallowed".

i disagree...

MAMA_CASS_ELLIOT_6.jpg

choked on a sandwich.. poor lady..

butchmcdick

Post Whore
That's what I was saying. I Assume you mean it IS a minority who think it's ok?

Anywho, I'm just judging this from discussions with colleagues, family etc.
Bearing in mind none of them are big Warriors fans - almost everyone I know is ok with him getting a chance in the NRL.

Even in this thread I think more people have been ok with a second chance than not - but if that isn't that case I can understand.

We are (presumably) all league fans and it's natural for league fans to want to protect their sport from possible controversy.

The average person seems to be ok with second chances even in cases like this.

No mate I was saying that most people are not ok with him playing NRL. Sorry if there was some confusion.

I too am basing this on conversations with others about this situation. Talk to any female about the nature of this guys crime and I doubt too many of them are keen to see him run around in their clubs colours. I doubt that there are sponsores wanting to be associated with him either. The NRL is a multi million dollar sport that really shouldn't be associated with this bloke.

It is entirely possible that his actions are one that he deeply regrets and that he is a different person now. I just don't think that given the nature of that crime he should be allowed anywhere near the NRL regardless of him doing his time or how sorry he is. This might seem harsh but there are numerous other proffesions that he would be able to pursue becasue of his crime eg teaching, police officer etc etc.

If this guys plays for the Warriors again it will certainly effect the way I view them.