What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do Channel 9 "Do Rugby League Best"?

Do Channel 9 "Do Rugby League Best" i.e. Do 9 Serve Rugby League's Best Interests?

• Total voters

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Channel 9 do screw the game over for their own ratings eg Melbourne winning the GF and in that state not televising the winning ceremony to put some other rubbish on TV that 9 thought would rate better.

However... There is no comparison between the NRL and Fox. The foxtel editing team is absolute sh!thouse as they are constantly leaving what is happening on the field for irrelevant footage (Very frustrating). 9 have a quality commentry team, Foxtel have a team where 50% of the commentators encourage the viewer to find the mute botton.

As I said, 9 can demonstrate greediness towards the game that they bought at a bargain price, however it's a big call to say other networks will do a better job when it comes to the video footage, editing of the footage and the commentators that they decide to use.

I reckon some of the people on here that are whinging, will be whinging twice as much if another network takes over.

ShaiGuY

First Grade
If he is referring to doing rugby league up the backside the best then he is right...

"ex AFL" lawyer... Conflict of interest perhaps.

They're obviously not helping in spreading the sport to Melbourne and Perth much. But they do say be careful what you wish for, but if 10 will show more free-to-air at reasonable times into those areas then they probably should be given them. Origin and Kangaroos matches possibly staying on 9, how about that? Or 10 to have the whole lot as 9 do now.

Dakink

Bench
Can someone email this link to the 7 and 10 so they know the feeling of opposition that is out there for 9.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
A fair comparison, ABC was doing QLD cup, now 9 will.

I will back ABC to be better.

Stagger Lee

Bench
*Just a thought*

SBS - The way they promote soccer and the amount of coverage they give it, imagine if a channel did that with NRL

But back to reality - Ch9 did great things for the game in it's first 5 or so years, heck even the footy show was funny in it's first season! The next ten or so years it was treading water devoid of ideas. The last 5 years they have been a lead-weight to the game. Ironically when CH9 lose the rights, and I pray they do, only then will they realise what a wasted opportunity they have had in their hands the last 20 odd years.

ceagle

Bench
Channel 9 manager and former AFL lawyer Jeffrey Browne has made a claim that Channel 9 "do rugby league best".

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

Well one thing is confirmed, Jeffrey Browne has a account on LU

Last edited:

eozsmiles

Bench
The last time I remember another FTA network showing league was channel 10 when they showed the game of the round on Sunday as a 1 hour highlights package.
Did channel 7 show games during super league?
ABC don't count because they won't be bidding.

Nobody else has had the chance to do league for a long time so obviously nobody has done any better for a long time. That's why the statement was made, because there is no real comparison to make.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yes and no.

Their treatment of broadcasts/scheduling is horrendous and not good enough.

The actual telecast, commentary, camerawork etc is top notch IMO.

There's two elements - the first Channel 9 damages RL with, the second they do best.

hellteam

First Grade
To be honest I, and I'm sure Melbourne/Perth fans would especially, would watch NRL with a 5 year old commentating. As long as it's on. Live.