What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

• I want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 60 17.2%
  • I don't want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 113 32.4%
  • I couldn't care less if he returns or not.

Votes: 176 50.4%

• Total voters

Frailty

First Grade
I have a can of worms I'd like to donate to this cause.
Has anybody enquired as to the beliefs and stance on gay folks from SBW's religion ?
I must look it up, publish it, then find a way of removing everyone's fingers from their ears.

Funny... It's almost like freedom of religion allows people to have their beliefs. I keep getting told that we need new laws to protect this...

Folau can believe what he wants to believe, and he can preach it in his home and church. However, when you publicly target people on the basis of that belief - you're not exempt from consequences.

I'm not surprised a Super League team picked him up, especially one with a track record of signing douchebags. The league craves any kind of attention it can get - and it has done so with Folau.

The Rosco

Bench
SBW has never posted hate speech. I doubt he's even used his religion to pass judgement on anyone of any kind. He has... shock horror.. used it to promote positivity and even love
Well, I had a quick look.
They don't condone anything as barbaric and disgusting as quoting a verse from the bible mentioning homosexuality amongst 5 or 6 other sins that will see you banished to hell. Oh no.
Apparently, according to someone's quote from the koran, if you are gay you are to be "thrown from a great height".
And it goes without saying that if by chance the said throwing and subsequent landing didn't kill you, then you are to be stoned to death. Duh, it's blatantly obvious. 9th floor, seeya ! . . . and if you are still wriggling, stone them to death.
I think the act of pushing someone from a great height because he is gay would be the positivity of which you speak. Grouch . . . and the love would obviously be the compassion shown in throwing the stones at the smashed gay corpse till it stopped moaning.

grouch

First Grade
They don't condone anything as barbaric and disgusting as quoting a verse from the bible mentioning homosexuality amongst 5 or 6 other sins that will see you banished to hell. Oh no.
Apparently, according to someone's quote from the koran, if you are gay you are to be "thrown from a great height".
And it goes without saying that if by chance the said throwing and subsequent landing didn't kill you, then you are to be stoned to death. Duh, it's blatantly obvious. 9th floor, seeya ! . . . and if you are still wriggling, stone them to death.
I think the act of pushing someone from a great height because he is gay would be the positivity of which you speak. Grouch . . . and the love would obviously be the compassion shown in throwing the stones at the smashed gay corpse till it stopped moaning.
Wow... it's almost like you deliberately missed my point in order to post this inane rant.

betcats

Referee
I have a can of worms I'd like to donate to this cause.
Has anybody enquired as to the beliefs and stance on gay folks from SBW's religion ?
I must look it up, publish it, then find a way of removing everyone's fingers from their ears.

First of all SBW can believe what he wants, so can Israe,l that isn't the issue here at all.

If you need to look up the Islamic stance on gay people i'd say you are the one with something in your ears.

The Rosco

Bench
Funny... It's almost like freedom of religion allows people to have their beliefs. I keep getting told that we need new laws to protect this...

Folau can believe what he wants to believe, and he can preach it in his home and church. However, when you publicly target people on the basis of that belief - you're not exempt from consequences.

I'm not surprised a Super League team picked him up, especially one with a track record of signing douchebags. The league craves any kind of attention it can get - and it has done so with Folau.
But did he really "target" anyone ?
It was a broad and inclusive swipe at sinners, adulterers, gays, and a few other "sinners" ( in the eyes of the Catholic Church)
If he publicly announced that HIS opinion is that the only folks going to hell are the gays . . . well, that's different.
He was quoting a phrase from the bible. He didn't omit the other sinners and just leave in the gays. He quoted it as it was originally written many many years ago.
This is the best example yet of folks being outraged because the mummy blogger told them they should be.
If what he said genuinely offends you . . . look at some of the other religion's stances on homosexuality and adjust some of your rage in their direction.
Surely . . . surely your disgust should be with the Church for holding such views. Certainly not in Folau for merely repeating them ?
And therefore, you should actively seek the teachings of other religions with respect to homosexuality.
So, back to square one . . . . how's about them islam folks wanting to chuck the gays off a high-rise ?
Jehova's Witnesses don't much go for gayness either.
How come none of the adulterers are up in arms ?

Perth Red

Post Whore

maybe sbw doesn’t believe in this bit? Religious people are very good at picking and choosing which bits of their respective book they follow to suit them. Like working on the sabbath.

The Rosco

Bench
maybe sbw doesn’t believe in this bit? Religious people are very good at picking and choosing which bits of their respective book they follow to suit them. Like working on the sabbath.
You are right, Perth.
Even non-religious folks are good at picking and choosing which bits of a quote from the bible to focus on, all the time conveniently forgetting about the rest.

Pommy

Coach
You are right, Perth.
Even non-religious folks are good at picking and choosing which bits of a quote from the bible to focus on, all the time conveniently forgetting about the rest.

I’m not sure what point you’re making, it’s ok to make broad sweeping statements if it’s in the bible?
Because reasons?

Frailty

First Grade
It was a broad and inclusive swipe at sinners, adulterers, gays, and a few other "sinners" ( in the eyes of the Catholic Church)
If he publicly announced that HIS opinion is that the only folks going to hell are the gays . . . well, that's different.
He was quoting a phrase from the bible. He didn't omit the other sinners and just leave in the gays. He quoted it as it was originally written many many years ago.
This is the best example yet of folks being outraged because the mummy blogger told them they should be.

I suppose he wasn't publicly blaming the LGBTQI community either when he said the bushfires were God's vengeance for Australia voting in support of Same Sex Marriage.

As for the rest of your post that I didn't quote - I intentionally left it out as it is irrelevant to the point of the discussion.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You are right, Perth.

such is doctrine and why living your life by a book written Millenia ago by a bunch of blokes is pretty silly when you rationalise it out.

Quicksilver

Bench
Lol at people crying about Christianity being outed for homophobia but then piling on other religions for the same thing.

grouch

First Grade
Yawn.. being obtuse again. Its not about this single tweet you dense douche. He had targeted gays in the past. This tweet was part of a pattern

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol at people crying about Christianity being outed for homophobia but then piling on other religions for the same thing.

the reality is religion has always been about controlling people’s thinking and behaviour. Sometimes it was to maintain power (the romans taking on board Christianity as an example) sometimes to try and create a more civilised society, sometimes to try and explain science that they didn’t understand, sometimes for powerful men to control the masses etc. most religions were anti gay, anti women, anti free thought. It was the way the men controlled things back in the day. I wish I could live another 150 years as by then I reckon main stream religion will be dead and I’m interested to see what takes its place.

The Rosco

Bench
Many religions don't think too highly of homosexuality.
One preaches, that if you believe in the afterlife, that as a gay person you might end up in hell. If you believe in that.
Another tells us to throw the gays off a tall building and stone them to death if they are still somehow alive.
Amazingly, you don't see the difference.
Besides, Folau was merely repeating a phrase from the bible. On the principle of "don't shoot the messenger", should everyone's rage be aimed at the Catholic Church for their views, and not at Folau for saying what was written ?
You guys are going apoplectic at a dude that repeated a bible phrase that mentioned gays amongst 5 or 6 types of sinners that might end up in hell because of those sins.
If you don't believe in Catholicism, then you don't believe in hell so what is the problem ? Everything Folau said is just fantasy bullshit.
If you don't believe in Islam, they are still instructed to throw gays from a great height.
If I was gay, I know which bible phrase I'd be genuinely concerned about.

Quicksilver

Bench
One preaches, that if you believe in the afterlife, that as a gay person you might end up in hell. If you believe in that.
Another tells us to throw the gays off a tall building and stone them to death if they are still somehow alive.
Besides, Folau was merely repeating a phrase from the bible. On the principle of "don't shoot the messenger", should everyone's rage be aimed at the Catholic Church for their views, and not at Folau for saying what was written ?
You guys are going apoplectic at a dude that repeated a bible phrase that mentioned gays amongst 5 or 6 types of sinners that might end up in hell because of those sins.
If you don't believe in Catholicism, then you don't believe in hell so what is the problem ? Everything Folau said is just fantasy bullshit.
If you don't believe in Islam, they are still instructed to throw gays from a great height.

Well, have we had an Islamic player come out and preach that? I doubt they'd be too warmly received if they did.

The Rosco

Bench
Yawn.. being obtuse again. Its not about this single tweet you dense douche. He had targeted gays in the past. This tweet was part of a pattern
I don't share the same opinion as you grouch, so therefore I'm a douche ?
This whole" Oh dear, we should be offended about this Folau character. He said the word "Gay" . . . has adhered itself to a pattern in a far, far greater depth and conviction than any of Folau's tweets.
Fancy someone as obviously woke as you grouch resorting to infantile name calling because I don't share your opinions.

Frailty

First Grade

You might need to re-read your bible if you think it only preaches that a gay person might 'end up in hell'.

Furthermore, as mentioned numerous times to you that it should be abundantly clear - it is not simply a matter of Folau 'merely repeating a phrase from the bible'. If you honestly, think that's all the issue is, then I would suggest you stop reading and watching anything from Andrew Bolt and Mark Latham.

The Rosco

Bench
Well, have we had an Islamic player come out and preach that? I doubt they'd be too warmly received if they did.
Quick . . . my point is that we shouldn't shoot foalu as the messenger.
It shouldn't matter if Abdul from Parra DIDN'T say it out loud . . . . THAT IS WHAT THEY BELIEVE, AND ARE TOLD TO DO.

Matua

Bench

If what he said genuinely offends you . . . look at some of the other religion's stances on homosexuality and adjust some of your rage in their direction.
He did not "quote" from the bible. He posted an internet meme.

Great whataboutry in that last part.