What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone care about World Cup Rugby League?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Kurt Angle said:
I mean people who would even consider bagging the tourny because Australia walk walk it in, which won't be the case.. you'd never go to the cricket in Australia then, the Australian cricket team smash eveybody in Australia.

Good point.

Also, not having a world cup is not going to improve the international situation.

Kurt Angle said:
All Kangaroo internationals should be about ... enjoying foreign RL players coming to our shores.

Being a world cup, we should add in wanting to be good hosts to a whole bunch of foreign teams.

Spot on.

It's not about who is going to win, it is about celebrating people around the world playing rugby league.

ouwet

Bench
International Rugby League is the pinnacle of our sport!

Rugby League the Greatest Game Of All!

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Kurt Angle said:
All Kangaroo internationals should be about celebrating Australia and enjoying foreign RL players coming to our shores.

Woods99 said:
Errrr. I think you will find that the majority of players are actually based here, Kurt.

I'm talking about all international games period, not just those in a world cup and I don't see many players from European nations in the NRL...well done dopey.

I seems the absence of RU supporters amongst higher acheivers of the calibre of John Quayle, John Fahey and Jarrod McCracken can be explained by comprehension skills such as yours bottom feeder.

Not really foreign, old mate. Just Aussies dressed up in different team strips.

More foreign born players in the English RU team than the English RL team.

There were more players born in lebanon from the 2000RLWC Lebanon team than the numbers of players born in Scotland from the 1999 RUWC Socttish team.

You can continue to fool those of inferior intelligence that follow your game about the fraudulent credentials of 'national teams', but some of us are too intelligent to be fooled.

That is why we pick a more technical, more intelligent and more evolved rugby code in Rugby League.

Hari Kari

Juniors
PARRA_FAN said:

Tonga will be an interesting team that could feature Tuiaki.

He's named in the train on Kiwi squad for the coming test. If he plays and goes well there it might throw a spanner in the works of Tonga ever playing him.

bobmar28

Bench
At least there will be something to watch over summer other than the test cricket snoozefest.

hutch

First Grade
Hari Kari said:
He's named in the train on Kiwi squad for the coming test. If he plays and goes well there it might throw a spanner in the works of Tonga ever playing him.

he should not be allowed to play for the kiwis under the rlif's current rules. he played for tonga in last years world cup qualifiers and there is supposed to be a 2 year stand down period in between competing for different nations. what are the rlif going to do about it? probably nothing, because they are weak.

eels_fan_01

Bench
I'd rather Eels win a premiership then NSW win origin then Australia but i mean i do care. I'd rather see massive crowds then Australia win it. I'd be extremely happy for a good competition.

Billythekid

First Grade
I am really looking forward to it from a personal standpoint. My concern is that it won't be recieved well by the media and general public. I think the WC will either be a massive success for international rugby league or a dismal failure. I am just hoping with the right advertising and effort made by the NRL to promote the WC that it will be a big success.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Billythekid said:
I am really looking forward to it from a personal standpoint. My concern is that it won't be recieved well by the media and general public. I think the WC will either be a massive success for international rugby league or a dismal failure. I am just hoping with the right advertising and effort made by the NRL to promote the WC that it will be a big success.

They are going to need some sh*t side to play well and the media to get on the back of them.

joshreading

Staff member
I am totally looking forward to it. RL has a long way to go internationally but it has come along way. If you ignore the potential I don't think you can really call yourself a true League fan but only a club fan.

Mishm

Juniors
Looking forward to it. love seeing other countries play the game and I always love backing Australia in any international - especially league.
they should advertise it more. have heard barely anything about it.

robyalvaro said:
NZ should win IMO, Sonny, Asotasi, Inu, Benji... that's a good core to build around.

I agree they can put a 1, 6, 7, 9 of

1 Brent Webb
6 Benji Marshall
7 Rangi Chase/Jeremy Smith
9 Issac Luke

and from there surround them with talent like Asotasi, Inu, Sonny, Pritchard and such.

Brutus

Referee
Should be a brilliant way to cap off the 100 year celebrations. Should be awesome.

Only negative I find is the fact they have put Aus GB and NZ in the same pool. Stupid move.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
bobmar28 said:
At least there will be something to watch over summer other than the test cricket snoozefest.

huh?

Only negative I find is the fact they have put Aus GB and NZ in the same pool. Stupid move.

Smart move in my opinion. In theory it will lead to less floggings and close, entertaining games in the other pools, which is what it is all about really. Plus, the supergroup games will also in theory draw bigger crowds playing each other rather than playing minnows seperately. Finally, Australia has a much better chance of getting knocked out the cup entirely, which is a cunning (read deceptive) strategy to make the other nations think they have a chance, if not in this world cup but in the future. Just look how the yanks went on after they 'nearly' beat Australia.

Woods99

Juniors
Kurt Angle said:
I'm talking about all international games period, not just those in a world cup and I don't see many players from European nations in the NRL...well done dopey.

I seems the absence of RU supporters amongst higher acheivers of the calibre of John Quayle, John Fahey and Jarrod McCracken can be explained by comprehension skills such as yours bottom feeder.

Kurt,

Love your work. But surely you are not seriously suggesting that there are more "high achievers" with a league background, than with a rugby background?

For your John Fahey, I give you Kim Beasley (played rugby at Oxford University as a Rhodes Scholar), but more recently, Tony Abbott (played first grade for Manly) and Joe Hockey (played for Sydney University).

Just a couple from the business world. Marius Kloppers, the CEO of the world's biggest mining company, and the biggest company in Australia (BHP-Billiton, of course), played for South Africa under 21 Springboks. Michael Hawker, a Wallaby, is the CEO of Australia's 20th biggest company, IAG.

And David Kirk, former All Black captain, medical doctor, MBA, and Rhodes Scholar, is CEO of Australia's leading newspaper group, Fairfax Holdings.

More foreign born players in the English RU team than the English RL team.

Yes, rugby is a more international game.

There were more players born in lebanon from the 2000RLWC Lebanon team than the numbers of players born in Scotland from the 1999 RUWC Socttish team.

2000 is a long time ago. As is 1999. What about some up-to-date data?

You can continue to fool those of inferior intelligence that follow your game about the fraudulent credentials of 'national teams', but some of us are too intelligent to be fooled.

That is why we pick a more technical, more intelligent and more evolved rugby code in Rugby League.

Not many follow your lead, though, Kurt, do they? I hope you are enjoying a real World Cup.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Marshall_magic said:
I agree they can put a 1, 6, 7, 9 of

1 Brent Webb
6 Benji Marshall
7 Rangi Chase/Jeremy Smith
9 Issac Luke

and from there surround them with talent like Asotasi, Inu, Sonny, Pritchard and such.

1. Matt Bowen
6. Scott Prince?
7. Jonathan Thurston.
9. Cameron Smith

Anything you have, we have better.

Latest posts