What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does Brad Arthur deserve the hype?

lingard

Coach
Also, Corey Norman is good at taking control of specific situations (he's probably our only back who does this) but he's not what I'd call a decision-maker in the sense that he would have the vision to look three or four plays ahead. Sandow can't do this. I don't know if Peats can do this. Maybe Hopoate can, but he has other faults. Foran probably can. Foran's probably what I would call a decision-maker. Even with Hopoate back in the centres we might see better backline movements.

yy_cheng

Coach
Yep. I've been calling for a top quality centre for over five years. With Hayne at the back, the problem was obscured a bit. I agree that Toupou would be a terrific signing. If we then shifted Hoppa to the centres (he's a good centre) and bought a good to very good fullback (or Norman) we'd suddenly have a team to be reckoned with.

1. Norman
2. Toupou
3. Hopoate
4. Takairangi
5. Radradra
6. Foran
7. Sandow
8. Mannah
9. Peats
10. Wicks
11. Mau
12. Beau Scott
13. Edwards
14. Gower
15. Watmough
16. Lussick
17. Some other merkin

I'd back that team for a top eight spot. (Although I'm not sold on Norman as a fullback yet - nor am I sold on Sandow.)

You dont like Junior?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If you can't see how it's possible, you shouldn't agree that it's possible. You should argue against it - preferably using stats to back up your argument. What's up with you? Did you have a good sleep last night or something?

That's not true at all. Everything is possible until proven impossible. All swans are white.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Also, Corey Norman is good at taking control of specific situations (he's probably our only back who does this) but he's not what I'd call a decision-maker in the sense that he would have the vision to look three or four plays ahead.

Nobody can see three or four plays ahead. Back in the days before full time professionalism there were 'organisers' who would decide how a set of six would play out (in the sense of 'we want to be here on fifth tackle so we need to be playing the ball no wider than here on the fourth', and so on) but these days the whole team knows that stuff because they work on it all week at training.

These days 'decision makers' are guys who receive early ball against disrupted defensive lines, and need to make the right choice between various passing or kicking options, or running themselves.

lingard

Coach
Nobody can see three or four plays ahead. Back in the days before full time professionalism there were 'organisers' who would decide how a set of six would play out (in the sense of 'we want to be here on fifth tackle so we need to be playing the ball no wider than here on the fourth', and so on) but these days the whole team knows that stuff because they work on it all week at training.

These days 'decision makers' are guys who receive early ball against disrupted defensive lines, and need to make the right choice between various passing or kicking options, or running themselves.

Sorry, that's not true.

Eelsman87

Juniors
I'm genuinely excited in the direction we are heading under Brad. We have a coach the boys seem genuinely invested in playing for and we are attracting rep quality players. He identified we needed to get stronger in pre-season and that improvement has been evident over the first 7 games. So kudos to him and the staff for following through on that.

To be honest my biggest concern coming into this season was our attack, and whether or not we could score points given we had just lost the most influential player in the league. So far we have been good and i have been suprised. In general we have the ability to put on both structured and unstructured plays resulting in points which has worked well for us to date.

Obviously though, with the ball we are far too inconsistent in 2 critical areas required to be a genuine threat. Direction, and composure. At times we just need to tuck the ball under our arms, run hard and complete our sets. And our 5th tackle options at times are poor which makes me wonder if we could even spell 'repeat set' or 'build pressure'.

The main concern or issue now is our attitude and making sure it's the same for 80 mins every week. BA's biggest challenge. Some will say this should be fixed immediately no excuses and i agree to an extent. Especially given we were in winnable positions rounds 5 & 6.

But, IMO we need to be patient here and try to enjoy the ride because it will be up and down this year. We are an outfit which backs our attack and likes to play an attractive brand of footy. We also have guys in our side that back thier ability and play to what is unfolding in front of them. So with this comes mistakes, and inconsistency in direction and composure. However, there is tremendous up side and a quality/unique foundation to build on . . . Why? These qualities can't be coached into players. You have awareness and the ability to create something ad lib or not. But what can be coached is structure, discipline and control. It can also be bought. We have added players with experience from clubs with a winning culture and mentality.

I guess my point is, we have issues yes. But all of them can be fixed. And i have seen enough through recruitment and improvements to have faith in the direction we are heading.

Bazal

Post Whore
As it stands BA has signed 3 rep players. He's also been very astute with guys like Taka, Wicks and Fa'aoso. I think he maybe needs to work a bit on the bench he selects but honestly, he's already better than the two blokes prior to him combined.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Coaches complaining, Ricky as usual complaining he doesn't have enough rep players. Jason Taylor complaining yesterday about the draw.

Never hear Arthur complain except that his players arent performing as expected

Gazzamatta

Coach
Its certainly an unusual approach, demanding every player to be responsible when you consider how society in general treat Gen Y. Could this possibly be the reasoning behind the teams form fluctuations?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Its certainly an unusual approach, demanding every player to be responsible when you consider how society in general treat Gen Y. Could this possibly be the reasoning behind the teams form fluctuations?

I reckon it's about trying to change the clubs culture. I reckon if were top 4, he would be whinging about other factors.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I reckon it's about trying to change the clubs culture. I reckon if were top 4, he would be whinging about other factors.

100% agree with your response and BAs approach but its how the younguns respond. You dont get a "Participation Award" for playing NRL.Go for it BA and good luck.