What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Coach 2021 and Beyond

Who do you want to see as Dragons coach?

• Total voters

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Simple,

No one with FG experience will take a 1 year deal with the mess and squad we have. If its a one year deal, you will end up with Young.

A 2 year deal with performance criteria and an option in the clubs favour is fine.

Whoever takes over will have a massive job. From recruitment / development and club culture. 1 year won't be enough, unless people are happy to wait 1 year under Young, and even then there is no guarantee that we get the coaches you mention especially if next year is another failure.

A two year deal still will not work.

Why would an experienced coach accept a two year contract under the following conditions:
* Having a highly paid half back that is not performing and has 3yrs remaining on his current deal.
* Having a highly paid 5/8 that is not performing and has another year on his current deal.
* Having a forward pack that is man handled by every other team in the comp.
* Has a Board that wants to control everything and have no accountability.
* Entering a club that needs a big cleanup after 10yrs of trouble and massive underperformance.
* Entering a club that has lots of history and supporter expectations, yet poor current value to attract elite players.
* having waring factions between two seperate regions and players dispersed geographically.

If I was considering coming to coach the Dragons, I would demand (non negotiable):
* Complete responsibility for all aspects of the football department. Covering coaching, recruitment, conditioning etc.
* Agreement on 2021 defined as a transition year; 2022 - top 8 finish and targeting 2023 as a grand final appearance.Two years is the minimum to turn the team around and find players fill current gaps in our roster.

No sane coach would accept less than 3 years.

possm

Coach

Why would an experienced coach accept a two year contract under the following conditions:
* Having a highly paid half back that is not performing and has 3yrs remaining on his current deal.
* Having a highly paid 5/8 that is not performing and has another year on his current deal.
* Entering a club that needs a big cleanup after 10yrs of trouble and massive underperformance.
* Entering a club that has lots of history and supporter expectations, yet poor current value to attract elite players.
* having waring factions between two seperate regions and players dispersed geographically.

If I was considering coming to coach the Dragons, I would demand (non negotiable):
* Complete responsibility for all aspects of the football department. Covering coaching, recruitment, conditioning etc.
* Agreement on 2021 defined as a transition year; 2022 - top 8 finish and targeting 2023 as a grand final appearance.Two years is the minimum to turn the team around and find players fill current gaps in our roster.

Unemployed Griffin or Henry would take a one year deal simply to get paid for a year and to demonstrate that they are up to the task.

TruSaint

Referee

I said a 2 year deal with an option in the Clubs favour.
Thats 3 years. If by year 2 there is no tangible improvement, then he can be sacked

redv13

Bench
Unemployed Griffin or Henry would take a one year deal simply to get paid for a year and to demonstrate that they are up to the task.
Griffin isn’t unemployed. He’s on Fox, commentates on 2gb, he’s earning some coin. He’s not desperate enough for a 1 year contract. No nrl coach is agreeing to a 1 yr contract :face_palm_tone1:♂️:face_palm_tone1:♂️:face_palm_tone1:♂️:face_palm_tone1:♂️

RedV Resurgence

Juniors

That's not want we need, someone to fill a position. We need someone with a good understanding of what is wrong with the dragons and a plan to fix that problem. If they can't articulate the problem and the plan, then we don't need them. We need to get the right people in the key positions or this will really get bad.

The new CEO needs to take a stand now and stop the crap that has been going on for too long. Personally, I think very little of the new CEO, he is just a puppet of the board.

possm

Coach
That's not want we need, someone to fill a position. We need someone with a good understanding of what is wrong with the dragons and a plan to fix that problem. If they can't articulate the problem and the plan, then we don't need them. We need to get the right people in the key positions or this will really get bad.

The new CEO needs to take a stand now and stop the crap that has been going on for too long. Personally, I think very little of the new CEO, he is just a puppet of the board.
Some very good coaches become available in 2022. To lock us up now would be to drive yet another nail in our coffin. If we let Young run the team in 2021, we would be in worse trouble and it would be the same old same old with Young saying he needs more time and the Board granting him an extension.

Mjab

Juniors
Some have commented we should wait 1 year when more are on market and many said no one would do it well

Just a comment about no one would take a 1 year deal

employed top tier coaches obviously not

griffin might have a few minor media gigs but I can tell u these are not big payers

maybe Gould and johns and sterlo but not sacked 2 Nd tier dudes

I don’t know what Henry would be doing but it’s a shit load less $ than lowest paid 1 st grade Coach and what is he doing

once coaches slip off the ladder massive risk they drop into obscurity

the 2 Nd tier are desperate for jobs as if they show success they get extensions and their names are mentioned again , back in the inner circle and more relevant

They or their managers might not like it but I’ll bet if you said to Griffin Toovey

or others 1 year to prove yourself and we will extend they would jump

where is Toovey next job, I doubt he will ever be a 1 St grade coach again

Look what Payton has done in a few months so don’t tell me they can’t do anything if they have some skills they can

a friend is an ex A league soccer coach
No real job security
Desperate for jobs
Patchy employment
A lot contracts are 1-2 years
Often take what they can get

I’m not saying a 1 year job is the best option but many have said no one would do it and I disagree Sometimes they would

I ssupect it will be Griffin and while I’m a bit worried if it’s a 2 year deal with KPIs and. A 3 rd in our favour or stricter KPIs then I’m Ok With it

I wouldn’t mind Wane but he doesn’t seem on the clubs radar TBH or he’s not that interested in us

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Some very good coaches become available in 2022. To lock us up now would be to drive yet another nail in our coffin. If we let Young run the team in 2021, we would be in worse trouble and it would be the same old same old with Young saying he needs more time and the Board granting him an extension.

Mate, we can't have it both ways. Either we appoint a credentialed coach now and give them a good crack for 2-3 years or we keep Young next year with a few new experienced assistants to try to keep the ship from sinking before we make a big play for a high profile coach.

To think any prospective coach would agree to a 1 year contract is completely naive.

Think of it this way, if you applied for a job tomorrow and they told you "we will hire you for a year and then will see how you go. We have a feeling some better qualified people will put their hands up if we advertise next year" would you take the job? Of course not.

Old Timer

Coach
The Gordon family and WIN Entertainment proudly announce that Dean Young is auditioning for the lead role in that box office blockbuster "The Power Game aka Dragons Footy"

Producers are happy to announce that the rest of original cast and the original script have remained unaltered

Mjab

Juniors
Mate, we can't have it both ways. Either we appoint a credentialed coach now and give them a good crack for 2-3 years or we keep Young next year with a few new experienced assistants to try to keep the ship from sinking before we make a big play for a high profile coach.

To think any prospective coach would agree to a 1 year contract is completely naive.

Think of it this way, if you applied for a job tomorrow and they told you "we will hire you for a year and then will see how you go. We have a feeling some better qualified people will put their hands up if we advertise next year" would you take the job? Of course not.

you might if your on jobseeker

TruSaint

Referee
Some have commented we should wait 1 year when more are on market and many said no one would do it well

Just a comment about no one would take a 1 year deal

employed top tier coaches obviously not

griffin might have a few minor media gigs but I can tell u these are not big payers

maybe Gould and johns and sterlo but not sacked 2 Nd tier dudes

I don’t know what Henry would be doing but it’s a shit load less $ than lowest paid 1 st grade Coach and what is he doing

once coaches slip off the ladder massive risk they drop into obscurity

the 2 Nd tier are desperate for jobs as if they show success they get extensions and their names are mentioned again , back in the inner circle and more relevant

They or their managers might not like it but I’ll bet if you said to Griffin Toovey

or others 1 year to prove yourself and we will extend they would jump

where is Toovey next job, I doubt he will ever be a 1 St grade coach again

Look what Payton has done in a few months so don’t tell me they can’t do anything if they have some skills they can

a friend is an ex A league soccer coach
No real job security
Desperate for jobs
Patchy employment
A lot contracts are 1-2 years
Often take what they can get

I’m not saying a 1 year job is the best option but many have said no one would do it and I disagree Sometimes they would

I ssupect it will be Griffin and while I’m a bit worried if it’s a 2 year deal with KPIs and. A 3 rd in our favour or stricter KPIs then I’m Ok With it

I wouldn’t mind Wane but he doesn’t seem on the clubs radar TBH or he’s not that interested in us

For what we are looking for, a 1 year deal is a loser both ways mate.
A novice may well take the punt, but we are way past that option.

1. It doesn't give the coach enough time to mend the shite.

2. If it ends being a disaster then we add one more year to the debacle.

THe risk isn't just for us, but for the coach. They are not walking into a successful organisation with a platform for success. They need to reboot.

I agree that the deal you mention with Griffin is win-win.
Coach gets a decent time frame. Club has KPI's to ensure they have recourse.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
What about if this forum offers to coach the players online for a year and then we see how that goes....
Then the following year we could appoint Fitzgibbon, Ryles, and Flanagan as all Co Coaches with Bennett as Coaching Director and Hornby and Young as Co assistant coaches. Everyone gets a gig; even us. Problem solved!

TruSaint

Referee
Can anyone recall in the past say 10 years of a coach being employed initially on a one year deal?

Not a "take-over" coach after a sacking mid season. A new coach.

Even 20 years will do.

TruSaint

Referee
What about if this forum offers to coach the players online for a year and then we see how that goes....
Then the following year we could appoint Fitzgibbon, Ryles, and Flanagan as all Co Coaches with Bennett as Coaching Director and Hornby and Young as Co assistant coaches. Everyone gets a gig; even us. Problem solved!

:D

Mjab

Juniors
I’m accepting of Griffin on a 2-3 y deal with KPIs and I suspect that is what we will get

Webster has prob heard that’s the go From a contact and he’s having a crack at them in that article today to see if he can stop it?

the club , the roster , BOD are currently a sad mess

possibly only Bellamy And Robbo and possibly Bennett (Prob not) could win our club a premiership in the next 3-4 years

anyone else a hell of a mess to fix And realistically Regular top 8 still a few years off Let alone top 4 or a premiership . A big clean out and rebuild

our spine is basically a joke of underperformers and you can’t be top 4 without at least a very consistent and useful spine . Not us at moment

Interesting to hear news tonight tigers players have confronted Madge and said his methods aren’t working

maybe we can add him to the list

Maddragon99

Juniors
For what we are looking for, a 1 year deal is a loser both ways mate.
A novice may well take the punt, but we are way past that option.

1. It doesn't give the coach enough time to mend the shite.

2. If it ends being a disaster then we add one more year to the debacle.

THe risk isn't just for us, but for the coach. They are not walking into a successful organisation with a platform for success. They need to reboot.

I agree that the deal you mention with Griffin is win-win.
Coach gets a decent time frame. Club has KPI's to ensure they have recourse.

I don’t want an interim coach for a year, another year of mediocrity. What about the kids coming through in 2021? How are we meant to attract quality talent?

Appoint Griffin for 3yrs & let’s get on with it!

TruSaint

Referee
I don’t want an interim coach for a year, another year of mediocrity. What about the kids coming through in 2021? How are we meant to attract quality talent?

Appoint Griffin for 3yrs & let’s get on with it!

Thats what I said brother.
We are in agreement.