What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons Future Hooker

bathtime

Juniors
finally, only due to injury and nothing to do with good judgment, Sullivan gets a decent run at 9 and we look a different team. Perhaps not the final solution to the 9 position but yesterday clearly demonstrated hoW much we have been hampered by sticking solid with the slow old mate of the stubborn mule. And Bird did ok back in the centres too, again only through injury.
always a concern when you have a final solution

Mjab

Juniors
Liddle probably did fail his medical as was the alleged rumor on the forum

and we signed him anyway !!

A worry if Macca still thinks he is staying though , Hook will play the useless tool if the club does not rid ourselves of him

I cant understand how Hook and Co cant see that Macca was a key part of our failure this year

Scum we sign , just it in for a bludge and final payday , Norman, Woods and Co.

Oh FFS lol

We can mostly all see the bleeding obvious. We don’t need Sullivan to play 24 rounds at number 7, but we need him getting ‘some’ time there. Certainly don’t need Flannagan as another roadblock. Would love to see Hunt and Bud rotating around the 7/9 but unlikely Hook does this unless forced through injury, reps or straight up he gets sacked by round 6. The best we can probably hope for with Liddle signing is a Sullivan/Liddle hooker rotation and Bud getting an occasional look in at half.

possm

Coach
Oh FFS lol

We can mostly all see the bleeding obvious. We don’t need Sullivan to play 24 rounds at number 7, but we need him getting ‘some’ time there. Certainly don’t need Flannagan as another roadblock. Would love to see Hunt and Bud rotating around the 7/9 but unlikely Hook does this unless forced through injury, reps or straight up he gets sacked by round 6. The best we can probably hope for with Liddle signing is a Sullivan/Liddle hooker rotation and Bud getting an occasional look in at half.
So, if Hook plans to play Hunt at 7 in 2023 and brought in Liddle to play 9 in place of McCullough. Then we should target Robson as our priority signing for 2024, not extend Hunt and look to promote Sullivan to the NRL halfback position from 2024 on.

In 2024, Sullivan can play 14.

So, if Hook plans to play Hunt at 7 in 2023 and brought in Liddle to play 9 in place of McCullough. Then we should target Robson as our priority signing for 2024, not extend Hunt and look to promote Sullivan to the NRL halfback position from 2024 on.

In 2024, Sullivan can play 14.
I think that’s best case scenario mate.
Of course ….. best laid plans and all that.

possm

Coach
I've now come to the conclusion that Dean Young will be our head coach in 2024 or some months before the end of 2023. Our chairman of the Board Craig Young will certainly take a big interest in the quality of recruits for the 2023 and 2024 seasons in order to ensure the success of his son.

For this reason, I remain confident that at least two marquee players will be signed after November 1. Fifita and a top-line prop would be my preference and given that middle is coming on a one-year deal, it appears to me that Robson is a possibility.

I keep trying to imagine our line-up and can't really see any significant improvement until season 2024 when both Fifita and Robson are available (unless of course if they are released from their contract earlier).

I have a sneaky feeling that Hunt won't be with us in 2024.

So, it is my opinion that if Dragon's recruitment can actually seal the deals, our best chance of making the top 4 will be in 2024:

Fullback - Ramsey / Sloan / Junior
Wingers - Matt Feagai / Ravalawa / Ramsey / Sloan / Junior
Centers - Lomax / Suli / Bird / Max Feagai / Junior
Halves - Sullivan / Amone / Bird / New recruiter or Junior
Props - De Belin / F Molo / Burgess / Lawrie / New prop / Cotric
Backrow Forwards - Fifita / Su'A / Bird / Burns / M Moo / Junior
Hooker - Robson / Liddle / Junior

1. Sloan
2. Max Feagai
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ramsey
6. Amone
7. Sullivan
8. De Belin
9. Robson (80 mins)
10. New prop
11. Fifita
12. Su'A
13. Bird

14. Bird
15. F Molo
16. Burgess
17. M Molo

18. Lawrie

FlameThrower

Bench
I've now come to the conclusion that Dean Young will be our head coach in 2024 or some months before the end of 2023. Our chairman of the Board Craig Young will certainly take a big interest in the quality of recruits for the 2023 and 2024 seasons in order to ensure the success of his son.

For this reason, I remain confident that at least two marquee players will be signed after November 1. Fifita and a top-line prop would be my preference and given that middle is coming on a one-year deal, it appears to me that Robson is a possibility.

I keep trying to imagine our line-up and can't really see any significant improvement until season 2024 when both Fifita and Robson are available (unless of course if they are released from their contract earlier).

So, it is my opinion that if Dragon's recruitment can actually seal the deals, our best chance of making the top 4 will be in 2024:

1. Sloan
2. Max Feagai
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ramsey
6. Amone
7. Sullivan
8. De Belin
9. Robson (80 mins)
10. New prop
11. Fifita
12. Su'A
13. Bird

14. Bird
15. F Molo
16. Burgess
17. M Molo

18. Lawrie
That halves pairing is very green - what other successful Club has newbies in FG in the halves? Personally I’d leave Ramsey as FB too. I also doubt we will see Burgess again too. It’s not very promising TBH.

Last edited:

OneEyedDragon

Juniors

1. Sloan
2. Max Feagai
3. Suli
4. Lomax
5. Ramsey
6. Amone
7. Sullivan
8. De Belin
9. Robson (80 mins)
10. New prop
11. Fifita
12. Su'A
13. Bird

14. Bird
15. F Molo
16. Burgess
17. M Molo

18. Lawrie
Drop Rava out of the side? Just to keep someone from kicking stones and because they are saying "I want to be in first grade"? I don't think so!

possm

Coach
Drop Rava out of the side? Just to keep someone from kicking stones and because they are saying "I want to be in first grade"? I don't think so!
Ravalawa has been out injured long term however, he is a much better winger than Moga and Sloan. If he is fit and ready for first grade, of course, he should be selected on the right wing.

Sloan needs to work hard in reserve grade and be selected on form alone. Right now he needs to work on his skills in defense and his confidence in taking the high ball. Griffin wants his fullback to organize the backline in defense and to bring back the ball from the team's red zone with gusto.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Watching Aust v PNG it is obvious who should be Saints next hooker. Hunt is probably the best No.9 in the NRL by a mile imo. He was brilliant as he was in Origin. You know if we had a proper coach as in Robbo, Bellamy or Bennett he would be No.9 as they would pick the best player in that position. Hunt will add so much at 9 and will be getting his hands on the ball each time which will keep opposition teams on edge. And he has the best kicking game for a No.9. What a difference he will be. Saints will all of a sudden be a contender for top 8 if that happens if he is not picked at hooker they will be tipped to come bottom 4 again so we can have the experts say Hook is doing a great job as they were picked to come last anyway.

possm

Coach
Wonder if the club has asked if Adrian Trevilyan from the Raiders is available?
Meet Robson's price and he will return to his junior club. He is the only hooker we need.

Let Hunt go and form a halves partnership with Amone and Sullivan. Bird and Mby are still on contract if we need a backup half.

Swap Hunt for Fifita and buy a new top-grade prop.

Do not release Sloan, Su'A, or any other player we want to keep.

This is all we need to do in 2023.

justadragon

Bench
Watching Aust v PNG it is obvious who should be Saints next hooker. Hunt is probably the best No.9 in the NRL by a mile imo. He was brilliant as he was in Origin. You know if we had a proper coach as in Robbo, Bellamy or Bennett he would be No.9 as they would pick the best player in that position. Hunt will add so much at 9 and will be getting his hands on the ball each time which will keep opposition teams on edge. And he has the best kicking game for a No.9. What a difference he will be. Saints will all of a sudden be a contender for top 8 if that happens if he is not picked at hooker they will be tipped to come bottom 4 again so we can have the experts say Hook is doing a great job as they were picked to come last anyway.
Totally agree with what you have said, there could also be and should be the possibility that Hunt and Sullivan interchange during the game, but our coach wont do that either.

Latest posts