What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons home ground to small for semis..

Willow said:
BBJF, do you want us to win it?

Of course I do. I think you're missing my point. Read my original post again, then read below.

Willow said:
Fair dinkum, its just a home game. We need every little advantage. Any coach from any club would agree.

It aint JUST a home game. It a home semi final. If we are good enough we shouldn't have to rely on "every little advantage". That aside, I don't disagree with the clubs decision to choose WIN as the location, as historically our winning record there is very strong.

I expressed disappointment that Saints only have a 19K approx capacity, it just plain sucks as far as I'm concerned. There would be a much greater atmosphere in a bigger ground, while giving more fans the opportunity to see it live.

Willow said:
Cheesie offered some stats earlier on where the average home semi crowd was a little over 20,000. You and the Covellier think it'll be 30,000 'minimum'. What do you base this on? Guess work? The stats from Cheesie don't support you.

Here we go.

None of the home semis you speak of in these stats were Saints home semis, and so I believe those figures to be of little relevance to the Dragons.

Based on our recent home games against Sharks, Roosters & Parra being sell outs prior to/on the day, would it not be unreasonable to suggest that such a game would healthily exceed 20K given a venue to accommodate it??

Additionally, a Dragons v Sharks game would be even more spicier given our history.

It is well known that Dragons fans are spread far and wide, well beyond our home regions, ie our support is strong throughout Sydney, therefore our fans will still turn up wherever the game is. Sharks are not as strong in this regard, but they come out like a lynch mob whenever the Dragons are their opponents, no matter where we play.

IMO It all adds up to what would be a huge crowd at the SFS if this were to occur. Thats why I'd back up my claim. Not guess work, not by your stats (as relevant as you think they'd be).

The shame of it is its all hypothetical and we wont get to see if it could happen. What say you Mr Willow???

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Bring back John Fifita said:
It aint JUST a home game. It a home semi final. If we are good enough we shouldn't have to rely on "every little advantage".
Yes yes... players should be able win in every situation if they're professsional enough.

Its still a home game.

If you don't like it, push for some rule changes. But its a bit late in the season to start moving the goal posts around.

The shame of it is its all hypothetical and we wont get to see if it could happen. What say you Mr Willow???
Looks silly to be having such a debate at this time of year. That's what I say Mr Fifita.

Willow said:
Looks silly to be having such a debate at this time of year. That's what I say Mr Fifita.

I was just responding to your queries Mr Willow. But yes, there are more pertinant issues at present. Lets save all the hypotheticals until after the season, when the only alternative is watching our cricket side get older, slower, and slide further from grace.

wittyfan

Referee
A Dragons-Sharks final would the first time they have played each other at WIN Stadium since the mish-mash of a merger happened.

miketyson

Juniors
Just back on the subject..

The game is not going to sell out in a matter of seconds or anything like that.

If you want to go to the game and your not a season ticket holder get to ticket at 9am on the Tuesday morning (or just use the website is you have a credit card) you won't miss out , It will take at the quickest 5 or 6 hours for the game to sell out.

So if you really want to go , Make the effort.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
sullyfan said:
A Dragons-Sharks final would the first time they have played each other at WIN Stadium since the mish-mash of a merger happened.
You mean since the Cronulla-Newtown Jets fell into the quagmire?
You guys couldnt organise a mish-mash at potato convention.

MightySharks

Bench
Willow said:

Good mate, Sharks fans are so devasted to have all three Cronulla-Sutherland grades being played 12 times in the Cronulla-Sutherland area.

Where do I have to drive too again to watch the local derby?

Willow said:

That merger is like going to a bowling club and picking up the old bag who hasn't had any action in 23 years.

Then she turns you down.

MightySharks

Bench
That merger is like going to a bowling club and picking up the old bag who hasn't had any action in 23 years.

Then she turns you down.

Is that how you find your women?:lol:

Stranger

Coach
innsaneink said:
To-g- T--ti-s

Pick a consonant Mighty Sharks.

Dont point the finger at the Dragons, they earned their choice, have a look at your own team, they had their chance to host a semi , were up there most of the year...., frittered it away with poor play.

:lol:

:clap: :clap: well put though. If i were a tigers supporter i would want it at Leichhardt, not a big stadium but massive home ground advantage which is what the top 4 deserve.

Red Bear

Referee
Southernsaint said:
Firstly, it is irrelevant that you're a Scum season ticket holder, it is a DRAGONS home game.

Secondly, the club has reserved the right to play the game wherever they want & where they think they can derive the biggest advantage. Attendance numbers mean little because the NRL gets the gate. The Scum haven't played at WIN since the days of the Steelers, the club thinks that this is an advantage to the home team…

There will be no away supporters at WIN Stadium. I can't wait.

Woh, SS is coming down to WIN!!!!!!!!

(I'll be at Kograh this weekend :) )

littleduck

Juniors
St George are ignoring the desire of thousands of their fans to attend their games. There is nothing good or right about that.

St George are a massively popular club and should be ashamed of themself that they are turning away so many of their lifelong loyal fans.

The greatest football club in the country should hang their heads in shame with beig satisfied with attracting some of the smaller crowds in the competition for bigger games.

wittyfan

Referee
Willow said:

Cronulla and Newtown was never a merger.

brokendigit

Juniors
littleduck said:
St George are ignoring the desire of thousands of their fans to attend their games. There is nothing good or right about that.

St George are a massively popular club and should be ashamed of themself that they are turning away so many of their lifelong loyal fans.

The greatest football club in the country should hang their heads in shame with beig satisfied with attracting some of the smaller crowds in the competition for bigger games.

littleduck, who are you kidding? St George-Illawarra have NOTHING to be ashamed about.

If (when) WIN sells out, it will mean they are attracting a crowd on par with previous Week 1 Finals.

Week 2 of the Final Series is when the 'Finals Showpiece' goes up a gear, & all games are played at neutral venues, virtually assuring bigger crowds.

St George-Illawarra have played well enough to guarantee themselves (& their fans) a place in Week 2 of the Finals.

For those who miss out on a ticket at WIN, brush the cobwebs off your credit-card, & get organised for Week 2.

It'll be huge!

In the past few years we have seen semis played on a regular basis at Penrith, Shark Park, Malanda Stadium and Parramatta Stadium.
The capacity of each of these grounds is not significantly higher than WIN. In fact, all are between 20-22k.
The issue of crowd capacity is not raised when Pernith are playing a team from out of Syndey, ie Brisbane because the expectation is that the regional side will not bring a lot of supporters. However, this should not be the issue. The home semi final is intended to be a reward for a team that finishes in the top 4, whether the team is coming up against another Sydney team or otherwise.

The crowd will be predominantly Dragons supporters as Sharks fans don't travel. 20K of people festooned in red and white gear will look awesome.

MightySharks

Bench
TV Ted Ellery said:
In the past few years we have seen semis played on a regular basis at Penrith, Shark Park, Malanda Stadium and Parramatta Stadium.
The capacity of each of these grounds is not significantly higher than WIN. In fact, all are between 20-22k.
The issue of crowd capacity is not raised when Pernith are playing a team from out of Syndey, ie Brisbane because the expectation is that the regional side will not bring a lot of supporters. However, this should not be the issue. The home semi final is intended to be a reward for a team that finishes in the top 4, whether the team is coming up against another Sydney team or otherwise.

No $hit champ! All I was asking for was that the away season ticket holders will have a chance to buy tickets before the general public.

Southernsaint

Staff member
littleduck said:

Who are we?? Some kind of ambassadors for the code?? f**k that, we want to win the comp, not make the rest of the NRL feel good about the game...

And further, Saints have the highest away crowd average in the NRL. We draw a crowd wherever we play.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You're not going to get through to littleduck. He is convinced that Saints should move their home games at the last minute and ignore all other considerations. The fact that it's impractical to do so means nothing.

littleduck, you're showing your true colours with this this drivel about 'shame' - the same category as the author of this thread. lol

Not satisfied with going one round, you're now saying that Saints should give up their home semi-final just so you can get your way. When are you going to realise that it isn't going to happen? If you don't like it, start a petition to have the home finals rules changed.

Tell me, whenever a club gets a good sell-out crowd now, does that mean they have something to be ashamed of? By your logic it does. And should Parramatta be ashamed of having a sell-out crowd in round 18? Again, by your logic they shoud be very ashamed of themselves. People were turned away from that game.
We don't even know how many are going to show up to WIN Stadium in the finals and you're already saying we should find a neutral venue. How silly.

Yes Saints should be ashamed of themselves... attracting crowds to home venues. For shame.

should hang their heads in shame with beig satisfied with attracting some of the smaller crowds in the competition for bigger games

Now let's have a look at last round and see which clubs are attarcting the bigger crowds for the bigger games...

MANLY SEA EAGLES v NEW ZEALAND WARRIORS
Brookvale Oval (capacity 23,000)
Manly playing for top eight spot...
Crowd: 14,219

CANTERBURY BULLDOGS v PENRITH PANTHERS
Telstra Stadium (capacity 83,000)
Both clubs fighting for top eight spot...
Crowd: 10,599

PARRAMATTA EELS v CANBERRA RAIDERS
Parramatta Stadium (capacity 20,000)
Parramatta playing for the minor premiership...
Crowd: 13,315

STH SYDNEY RABBITOHS v NTH QUEENSLAND COWBOYS
Aussie Stadium (capacity 40,000)
Souths playing to avoid the spoon...
Crowd: 13,079

BRISBANE BRONCOS v SYDNEY ROOSTERS
Suncorp Stadium (capacity 52,000)
Broncos playing for minor premiership...
Crowd: 35,592 *thumbs up*

MELBOURNE STORM v WESTS TIGERS
Olympic Park (capacity 18,000)
Storm playing for possible top four spot...
Crowd: 10,050

NEWCASTLE KNIGHTS v CRONULLA SHARKS
EnergyAustralia Stadium (capacity 26,000)
Knights coming last and playing to avoid the spoon...
Crowd: 23,084 *thumbs up*

Well done Broncos and Knights.

But there's a couple of clubs in that lot who should be looking at getting their own house in order, don't you think? That is before any of their supporters talk of 'shame' just because an opposition club is drawing larger crowds at the business end of the season.

MightySharks said:
No $hit champ! All I was asking for was that the away season ticket holders will have a chance to buy tickets before the general public.

Well if thats the basis for your argument I think it has been covered sufficiently.
1. Sharks aren't in top four,
2.Its a Dragons home semi,
3.Dragons don't need to make concessions for anybody especially a gaggle of season ticket holders for a crappy side like the Sharks.

Seems like a pretty pointless thread to me.

Latest posts