What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons interested in Valentine Holmes

ONPOINT

Juniors
Because you think Holmes is an amazing talent does not instantly condemn those from a previous era to rank amateurs.

All the remarkable things people look at today and applaud were done in similar fashion years ago the trouble being little footage to review so you had to be there to see and appreciate it.

A few examples

Bishop and Millward could run 1 direction cross kick to the corner and the winger score in the corner in the 60's long before Andrew Johns, Billy Slater.

The greatest no try of all time Langlands running from the 25 diving into the in goal and catching the kick from Dennis Ward on the full (actually available on Youtube). Again long before all this diving from the field over the dead ball and side line tapping it back.

Johhny "The Bomber" Peard putting the ball into a position that was almost indefeasible for his running backs to leap and score. Long before all the versions seen today.

Langlands catching the ball in the St George in goal, side stepping 4 players to pass to Gasnier to pass to Trevor Lake to score at the other right on half time against Souths at the SCG. Long range tries by real speedsters Irvine, Cleary, Mullins, Boston, Lumsden, Gasnier were not uncommon.

Ken Irvine's try scoring record still unbeaten today and anyone who does beat it will have played a hell of a lot more games. His ability to hug the sideline and beat players with blinding speed long before the Hayne tip toe run. Irvine's strike record for tries akin to Bradman's batting average "out of the realm of normal players".

Team kicks out on the full from the kick off was often a mandatory kick at goal from half way Barnes, Simms, Longbottom, Batty, Langlands, Puig Aubert to name a few.

All of the above with a pig skin football subject to being water logged and mud covered.

Last but not least Vince Karalius, Noel Kelly, Kevin Ryan & Rocky Turner would easily shape up to any of the toughies from the modern era and hold their own either in the ring or behind the grandstand.

Ask yourself a different question "who in todays game could go back in time, train twice a week only, not use drugs or equipment to enhance performance and hold down a full-time job" and be as good as they were?

Actually a very good post

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Annoys the shit out of me how people talk about sides in a non professional era like they would even beat an U20s team now a days. Skill level was horrible back then.

Holmes is an amazing talent there is just no chance the Sharks would ever let him go.

I was going to let your comments slide but had to reply as you obviously havnt been around long....your suggestion that they would even beat an under 20 side,,,and no skill etc...leads me to believe your new to the game...players back then were just as talented (in some cases more so) and did it a lot tougher as most had jobs...would love to see some of todays players get up at 3am on Monday morning after playing Sunday afternoon and running the garbage run, climbing up ladders with roof tiles
or mixing mortar for brickies etc......that my dear fellow was their recovery session...not like today where they get up go down to the heated pool, have their bum powdered and toenails cut and pampered with physio and massage....as I said they were just as talented back then but didn't have the time or opportunity to earn the big dollars that's on offer today......and that's what annoys the shit out of me when people like you come on here and spruke a load of rubbish as though you were there and seen it all.

Last edited:
I was going to let your comments slide but had to reply as you obviously havnt been around long....your suggestion that they would even beat an under 20 side,,,and no skill etc...leads me to believe your new to the game...players back then were just as talented (in some cases more so) and did it a lot tougher as most had jobs...would love to see some of todays players get up at 3am on Monday morning after playing Sunday afternoon and running the garbage run, climbing up ladders with roof tiles
or mixing mortar for brickies etc......that my dear fellow was their recovery session...not like today where they get up go down to the heated pool, have their bum powdered and toenails cut and pampered with physio and massage....as I said they were just as talented back then but didn't have the time or opportunity to earn the big dollars that's on offer today......and that's what annoys the shit out of me when people like you come on here and spruke a load of rubbish as though you were there and seen it all.

The majority of footballers today are tremendous athletes and are coached to follow a robotic game plan.

In short the vast majority are not instinctive. Very few of them are creative.

They have been taught to be very disciplined and to rely on their fitness.

Guys like Langlands, Raper, Smith, Fulton, Bishop, etc had the ability to create something out of nothing. They were born to play footy and instinctively probed for an opening.

V

Vasilevsky

Says it all really....lol

Hey Minh, can I respectfully suggest you spend much less time worrying about me and find yourself a hobby? You can gain a theoretical understanding of pretty much anything for free these days. To learn something is probably much more useful than worrying about what I am doing.

V

Vasilevsky

But do you like apples?

You did it again. Posted immediately after me even though I hadn't posted since at least the previous day. How long were you waiting? Is there some kind of alert function to tell you when I post a comment?

I'm only a amateur psychologist but maybe it's time for you to visit the real thing. You know about all the ideas I espouse here like you obviously have been spying on me, you conscript the Shonkie reinforcements to fight with me and of course, sit and wait for how many hours for me to post a message so you can be the first to reply.

I mean, WTF!

Anyway, I'm busy this week so you will have to get by without me:? but after that I will be happy to continue psycho analyzing you.

Last edited by a moderator:

SBD82

Coach
You did it again. Posted immediately after me even though I hadn't posted since at least the previous day. How long were you waiting? Is there some kind of alert function to tell you when I post a comment?

I'm only a amateur psychologist but maybe it's time for you to visit the real thing. You know about all the ideas I espouse here like you obviously have been spying on me, you conscript the Shonkie reinforcements to fight with me and of course, sit and wait for how many hours for me to post a message so you can be the first to reply.

I mean, WTF!

Anyway, I'm busy this week so you will have to get by without me:? but after that I will be happy to continue psycho analyzing you.

I'm the first to reply vas. Make of that what you will.

Am I the Serb who is not really a Serb? The suspense is killing me.

V

Vasilevsky

I'm the first to reply vas. Make of that what you will.

Am I the Serb who is not really a Serb? The suspense is killing me.

It's ok. My cyber stalker is lurking, jut waiting for an opportune moment reply to me but try to make it look as though he isn't my cyber stalker. I wonder if I explained to him I'm a grown man, not a prepubescent child, who has cut my teeth drinking slivovitz in Belgrade, he will cease being my cyber stalker? I'm asking you because you are his No.1 "kameraden".

Does that answer your question? When you said the suspense was killing you, I wasn't going to reply because...... obviously.

SBD82

Coach
It's ok. My cyber stalker is lurking, jut waiting for an opportune moment reply to me but try to make it look as though he isn't my cyber stalker. I wonder if I explained to him I'm a grown man, not a prepubescent child, who has cut my teeth drinking slivovitz in Belgrade, he will cease being my cyber stalker? I'm asking you because you are his No.1 "kameraden".

Does that answer your question? When you said the suspense was killing you, I wasn't going to reply because...... obviously.

No. As usual you have avoided answering the question.

I mean, WTF!

But, Do you like apples?

Still not saying if you like apples!

He thinks you and I are one in the same MWAL, his paranoia is relentless.
One thing people should know about someone who declares him or her self an amateur psychologist, they need to be this as they are constantly delving into themselves for the reasons why.
Their "reasons" and "why's" are their own

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
The majority of footballers today are tremendous athletes and are coached to follow a robotic game plan.

In short the vast majority are not instinctive. Very few of them are creative.

They have been taught to be very disciplined and to rely on their fitness.

Guys like Langlands, Raper, Smith, Fulton, Bishop, etc had the ability to create something out of nothing. They were born to play footy and instinctively probed for an opening.

Correct.....as I said mate ONPOINT obviously hasn't been around for very long....never been off the bitumen as they say...anyway hes entitled to his opinion...just doesn't have the proof to back it up im afraid

Old Timer

Coach
Here I was thinking he is just complete wanker who has no idea if he likes apples or not!

Miller

Perhaps people are asking the wrong question as this is all starting to turn out like the scene in Spartacus where Olivier first asked Curtis if he liked oysters and then later if he liked snails.

Oliver the dirty dog said he liked oysters and snails!!!!!

Miller

Perhaps people are asking the wrong question as this is all starting to turn out like the scene in Spartacus where Olivier first asked Curtis if he liked oysters and then later if he liked snails.

Oliver the dirty dog said he liked oysters and snails!!!!!

Haha. Love your work!