What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons statement: Player breach

BLM01

First Grade
So what's the punishment really? Nothing. Players do this all the time. f**k up and then move to the next club. There's no real punishment. The player doesn't suffer, the club does because they are expected to terminate the players contract.
I think you are wrong
PV has just lost 300k this year in earnings incl fine
Next year he had a back ended 800k which he won’t get near that at another club
Probably cost him total 500-600k out if pocket
I think that is plenty

Last edited:
Hey. The best thing about this is some of us- ex legend(in our lunchbox) and full blown dragons fans- have a serious chance of running out in our red V. I’m hitting the tackling bag and doing some running. Let’s go
I'm ready! I'm 53 and haven't played league since I was 10 but I can kick a field goal, so it might be worth wheeling me out for the last few minutes or golden point -assuming we get that close to an opponent again in 2021.

Old Timer

Coach
I'm ready! I'm 53 and haven't played league since I was 10 but I can kick a field goal, so it might be worth wheeling me out for the last few minutes or golden point -assuming we get that close to an opponent again in 2021.
Do you know if you are still allowed to use white tape instead of laces and if metal sprigs are still ok?

If it is ok then I’ll try and find my mouth guard, knee guard, shoulder pads and the foam inserts for my shorts and if you can pick me up on the way through I’ll play prop but only if we play in the big red v and not that shitstain red rag

kit66

Bench
There's a bit of it going around (hysterics). Each to their own of course.

But I particularly like how certain media are lining up, no... clamouring for attention, in order to reinforce their self proclaimed notion that they are the voice of the community. After all, they are real stars of the game,

And if you object to this display of entrenched arrogance, you get accused of the horrendous crime of wearing 'red and white glasses'. lol. As if you should apologise.

Go for it kit.

The glasses people need to take off are Black and white.

The media love nothing more than a juicy NRL Scandal and we handed it to them on a plate. I expected it, it's great clickbait but some of them are treating this like a crime against humanity and many on social media are lapping that up.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Now how is this for take on culture? And I do realise this is from a press release and clearly the best picture is always painted but have a look at the quotes of today attributed to James Fisher-Harris on his resigning for four years with The Panthers:

“This club feels like home. Panthers took me in and I’ve grown up here. I’m surrounded by familiar faces I’ve come through the grades with. My family loves it here. I wouldn’t want to go anywhere else.

“It’s every players dream to stay at one club for a long time. I’m blessed to have the opportunity to do it at a club like this.

“Now it’s my turn to do my job, put the team first and do everything I can to repay the faith the club has shown in me.”

“This contract extension is a significant part of what we aim to achieve at Panthers,” Panthers General Manager Rugby League Matt Cameron said.

“When a young player comes into our system, our aim is much more than simply turning him into a first grade footballer. Every day we strive to help him grow into a man that his family, our club and our community can all be proud of. James epitomises every aspect of that goal.

Oh to have some of that in our Club!

BLM01

First Grade
He brought the game into disrepute and was stood down for a year. Plus this latest indiscretion, I think that’s grounds for termination right?
Wrong, charges dropped
He brought himself into disrepute not the game
Over reaction outrage
He has been fined heavily + the club
If it was me I get $1000 fine and am not at risk of my job and life in turmoil
That’s the governments police punishment
What do you want, treat them like you would anyone else in society who have done similar wrong

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Wrong, charges dropped
He brought himself into disrepute not the game
Over reaction outrage
He has been fined heavily + the club
If it was me I get $1000 fine and am not at risk of my job and life in turmoil
That’s the governments police punishment
What do you want, treat them like you would anyone else in society who have done similar wrong
No mate. He brought the game into disrepute. Anyone who is being charged for a crime where the maximum penalty is greater than 5 years, regardless if they are innocent or guilty are stood down. If that’s not bringing the game into disrepute, then what is. He was out for 2 years, the dragons were paying his contract and stood by him. Then he goes and does this. I wouldn’t have been surprised if he was sacked.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
So the punishments handed out and now time for evaluation.

Firstly, would have to say the Ryan Webb is proving to be an elite CEO (imo), not afraid to get in and get dirty when the need arises, acts swiftly and concisely and gives clear answers to questions at all levels. He has handled so many issues since his tenure started, inc: McGregor, fan base, the DeBelin incident, sponsorship, COVID mk1, Dufty/Norman, COVID mk2 and now this. All within his first, what, 18months on the job. We are lucky to have him, believe me!

Next, the environment within the Dragons has been toxic for a while now. It was started with the "mate" approach, that soon turned into the players believing they were above the Club, the team and the fans. Self-entitlement, laissez faire leadership lead to players doing basically what they wanted, playing the same way. The attitude became 'yeah, whatever!" and if you weren't on board with the coaching staff "mate" approach, you weren't on board at all. The Club, especially the CEO and new coaching team identified this very early and has been steering the ship on a new course since. The self-entitled, have already been identified and plans in place to remove them. Players brought in, whilst not your elite, and some definitely arguably past their "best", are direction changing players, attitude changing players.

Vaughan. Was already walking the tightrope. As eluded by a few there were rumours we were trying to offload him in a player swap. with now 3 high level indiscretions, attitude and general persona, this latest incident was the perfect catalyst to move on him. Good player (at times), but was a very poor example for younger players. For one, I'm glad he's gone.

Dufty and Norman, were identified early also (refer Vaughan comment above), hence they've already been told they won't be re-signed. Hook was tempted to hang on to Norman, only for the belief both Amone and Sullivan, who missed most of 2020, would need more time. That hand has now been dealt. Realising only 8 normal round games left, the hole to replace them now would have been too great a burden on the team.

Debelin, hard to believe he'd be out 'partying' so soon after his court case. Not surprised we didn't sack him though. However, his 'string' would have a few frays in it already, and he still has 3-4yrs to stop it fraying any further.

The others are just Lemmings, followers of the pack. I seriously doubt Alvaro, Ellis, Beale et al, are vocal leaders within the Club. Dumb as a box of rocks, for sure, being swayed by the "leaders" for sure. Obviously, can't say for sure but I can imagine the word 'bubble" was used to get them there.

Overall, the Club imposed fines and sanctions were just about as expected and appropriate. I hope, when the "community based service" is able to be done (post lockdown I imagine), they are forced to endure some hardship the 'normal' folk are having to during this time.

I hope we can all move on now, let this run its course over the next couple of days, and then get on with the plans for the Manly game. How they split the NRL based sanctions, will be a real task for Hook, as I believe, like him and a few others, our chances of playing finals is still alive. Hopefully, this incident will now bind the playing group closer together, with the guilty parties having to prove themselves even more.
Dragon Slayer, I have overlooked the "mate-ship" angle that grew under the inept moron McGregor. But I think you are right in retrospect. A clear sign of poor leadership and a lack of authority from the coach. He is almost saying that "the players don't respect my coaching ability so I'll be best friends with them, the media and BOD; and that will get me by my technical incompetence". Of course it is a recipe for disaster. How do you go out and discipline a player, drop a player (Euan Aitken) and so on.

I played State League soccer when I was at university and I remember our grisly coach smashing me one night at training and screaming at me in front of the entire squad. He said something like "I'm not your mate, I'm not your father, I'm not your friend. I'm your coach and you do as I say or piss off". I got the message pretty swiftly. I respected that coach enormously but I was pretty wary of him and when he told me to "lift your efforts", I got the message. I remember he walked into the dressing room at half time and we were down 1-0; and he pointed to me and two other players and said "You three, improve or piss off". We got the message. We improved.

Another disaster from the McGregor legacy and another reason for a clean out. Too many of this squad have grown up being cuddled by a moron and they have become self indulgent. Do you reckon Craig Bellamy "indulges" his players?

Gardenia

Juniors
Now how is this for take on culture? And I do realise this is from a press release and clearly the best picture is always painted but have a look at the quotes of today attributed to James Fisher-Harris on his resigning for four years with The Panthers:

“This club feels like home. Panthers took me in and I’ve grown up here. I’m surrounded by familiar faces I’ve come through the grades with. My family loves it here. I wouldn’t want to go anywhere else.

“It’s every players dream to stay at one club for a long time. I’m blessed to have the opportunity to do it at a club like this.

“Now it’s my turn to do my job, put the team first and do everything I can to repay the faith the club has shown in me.”

“This contract extension is a significant part of what we aim to achieve at Panthers,” Panthers General Manager Rugby League Matt Cameron said.

“When a young player comes into our system, our aim is much more than simply turning him into a first grade footballer. Every day we strive to help him grow into a man that his family, our club and our community can all be proud of. James epitomises every aspect of that goal.

Oh to have some of that in our Club!

It’s great spin . Speech writer did good there . It’s probably genuine but those eloquent words are from a professional spin writer

He brought the game into disrepute and was stood down for a year. Plus this latest indiscretion, I think that’s grounds for termination right?

Yes but the Dragons stood by De Belin over the offence he was charged for, and (correct me if I'm wrong) supported him when he tried to legally challenge the NRL's No Fault Stand Down Policy. As such you could make a convincing argument that it was was a defacto admission from the club that it was not, in their opinion, bringing the game into disrepute. Hence to then turn around and say it was "strike one", especially if the club did not warn him or punish him in any way. It would leave any contract termination on the grounds of Saturday's events (based on the details available so far) open to legal challenge and a quite big legal pay out in compensation.

Based on what I know of labor law, attending a party outside of work hours, during a lock down probably is not grounds for dismissal on a first strike basis. If it was, I would suggest more of the players would be gone already. Based on how your club's CEO has handled events to date, I'm sure it would have been looked into at least.

carltonsouth79

First Grade
NRL 360 panel giving it to us deluxe. Hadley fuming, others calling for JDB to be more harshly sanctioned. Reiterated the others at the party story with supposedly further police investigation underway.sounds like this horro show is a long way from over… bloody hell

Sorry, but being embarrassed to be a Dragon's fan just doesnt sit well with me. Been a proud red v fan for nearly 60 years now, and always will be. I still wear my Dragons polos etc at least once every week. Disappointed in the current mob, and many times disappointed throughout those 60 years. If anyone has a dig at me when seeing me wearing my supporter gear, I have a laugh with them. If ever anyone feels embarrassed, imagine how much more embarrassing it would be to say you were a Sharks fan, or Tigers etc. If it hurts you so bad, why not jump on the Storm bandwagon, or Rabbitohs, or Panthers? Most clubs go through pitfalls, or golden eras. I will ride this one out like I have countless other times. But my polos are washed, ironed, and hanging in my wardrobe for me to wear out loud and proud again this weekend.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Yes but the Dragons stood by De Belin over the offence he was charged for, and (correct me if I'm wrong) supported him when he tried to legally challenge the NRL's No Fault Stand Down Policy. As such you could make a convincing argument that it was was a defacto admission from the club that it was not, in their opinion, bringing the game into disrepute. Hence to then turn around and say it was "strike one", especially if the club did not warn him or punish him in any way. It would leave any contract termination on the grounds of Saturday's events (based on the details available so far) open to legal challenge and a quite big legal pay out in compensation.

Based on what I know of labor law, attending a party outside of work hours, during a lock down probably is not grounds for dismissal on a first strike basis. If it was, I would suggest more of the players would be gone already. Based on how your club's CEO has handled events to date, I'm sure it would have been looked into at least.
The club stood by him because they had no choice. He was under contract, yet he didn’t play for 2 years. Like I said, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was sacked. That’s all.

blacksafake

First Grade
So the punishments handed out and now time for evaluation.

Firstly, would have to say the Ryan Webb is proving to be an elite CEO (imo), not afraid to get in and get dirty when the need arises, acts swiftly and concisely and gives clear answers to questions at all levels. He has handled so many issues since his tenure started, inc: McGregor, fan base, the DeBelin incident, sponsorship, COVID mk1, Dufty/Norman, COVID mk2 and now this. All within his first, what, 18months on the job. We are lucky to have him, believe me!

Next, the environment within the Dragons has been toxic for a while now. It was started with the "mate" approach, that soon turned into the players believing they were above the Club, the team and the fans. Self-entitlement, laissez faire leadership lead to players doing basically what they wanted, playing the same way. The attitude became 'yeah, whatever!" and if you weren't on board with the coaching staff "mate" approach, you weren't on board at all. The Club, especially the CEO and new coaching team identified this very early and has been steering the ship on a new course since. The self-entitled, have already been identified and plans in place to remove them. Players brought in, whilst not your elite, and some definitely arguably past their "best", are direction changing players, attitude changing players.

Vaughan. Was already walking the tightrope. As eluded by a few there were rumours we were trying to offload him in a player swap. with now 3 high level indiscretions, attitude and general persona, this latest incident was the perfect catalyst to move on him. Good player (at times), but was a very poor example for younger players. For one, I'm glad he's gone.

Dufty and Norman, were identified early also (refer Vaughan comment above), hence they've already been told they won't be re-signed. Hook was tempted to hang on to Norman, only for the belief both Amone and Sullivan, who missed most of 2020, would need more time. That hand has now been dealt. Realising only 8 normal round games left, the hole to replace them now would have been too great a burden on the team.

Debelin, hard to believe he'd be out 'partying' so soon after his court case. Not surprised we didn't sack him though. However, his 'string' would have a few frays in it already, and he still has 3-4yrs to stop it fraying any further.

The others are just Lemmings, followers of the pack. I seriously doubt Alvaro, Ellis, Beale et al, are vocal leaders within the Club. Dumb as a box of rocks, for sure, being swayed by the "leaders" for sure. Obviously, can't say for sure but I can imagine the word 'bubble" was used to get them there.

Overall, the Club imposed fines and sanctions were just about as expected and appropriate. I hope, when the "community based service" is able to be done (post lockdown I imagine), they are forced to endure some hardship the 'normal' folk are having to during this time.

I hope we can all move on now, let this run its course over the next couple of days, and then get on with the plans for the Manly game. How they split the NRL based sanctions, will be a real task for Hook, as I believe, like him and a few others, our chances of playing finals is still alive. Hopefully, this incident will now bind the playing group closer together, with the guilty parties having to prove themselves even more.
Very good post @Dragonslayer

Latest posts