What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Draw 2015

franklin2323

Immortal
eels play all the bottom teams once
Broncos
Knights
Raiders
Sharks
Dragons
Titans
And have to play all the top teams twice. We got the worst draw this year

Aren't Parra contracted to play Bulldogs and Panthers twice every year? That affects it. The rest is done via rankings from the previous season. Souths for example can't play themselves so get a seemingly easy draw

Canard

Immortal
Paul Kent wrote a (can you believe it) pretty level-headed article about the draw.

The draw will be unfair every year to one team or another - and the best team will still always win. The only way to avoid it is to have everyone play twice and Origin standalone - and given the reticence of the players, coaches and even authorities to extend the season to 37 weeks (30 rounds, 3 origin weekends, 4 weeks of finals... potentially more weeks if we get to 18 teams), it won't happen.

Your team will either be good enough or it won't, and the draw won't be the maker or breaker of that.

I agree with that almost 100%.

The issues that I have with the draw a more related to a fair distribution of FTA and scheduling to maximise crowds.

Aren't Parra contracted to play Bulldogs and Panthers twice every year? That affects it.

Surely there is no such contract?? Seeing as Parra don't control there draw.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
It might mean the difference between making the top 8, and missing the top 8, but he's right, it won't be the difference between winning the comp or not.
As said elsewhere, if you're missing the eight, it's generally not to do with the draw. It's because your team is not good enough. Or a referee mistake ;)

I agree with that almost 100%.

The issues that I have with the draw a more related to a fair distribution of FTA and scheduling to maximise crowds.

As long as Team X and Team Y rate their arses off in major markets and Team Z doesn't, Team X and Y will get the lions share of FTA games.

Maximising crowds... I think this is far better than last year's efforts, if we're gonna compare it to anything. Time (and weather) will tell.

franklin2323

Immortal
Surely there is no such contract?? Seeing as Parra don't control there draw.

http://www.anzstadium.com.au/whats-on/2014/bulldogs-v-eels/

This part:

EELS RECIPROCAL RIGHTS

Eels Members have not been forgotten and will enjoy reciprocal member rights for this game.

Bulldogs v Souths have the same. At the time the membership is done the draw isn't. So how do they know?

Has there ever been a year when NQ doesn't play Bris twice? Despite where they finish aswell

Jason Maher

Immortal
Cowboys and Storm the most clearly dudded teams. You'd think both teams being perennial finalists would net them a few more FTA games.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Paul Kent wrote a (can you believe it) pretty level-headed article about the draw.

The draw will be unfair every year to one team or another - and the best team will still always win. The only way to avoid it is to have everyone play twice and Origin standalone - and given the reticence of the players, coaches and even authorities to extend the season to 37 weeks (30 rounds, 3 origin weekends, 4 weeks of finals... potentially more weeks if we get to 18 teams), it won't happen.

Your team will either be good enough or it won't, and the draw won't be the maker or breaker of that.

Meanwhile his idiot coworker Rothfield rants about the draw being unfair as some teams have to play certain teams twice..

Canard

Immortal
http://www.anzstadium.com.au/whats-on/2014/bulldogs-v-eels/

This part:

EELS RECIPROCAL RIGHTS

Eels Members have not been forgotten and will enjoy reciprocal member rights for this game.

Bulldogs v Souths have the same. At the time the membership is done the draw isn't. So how do they know?

Has there ever been a year when NQ doesn't play Bris twice? Despite where they finish aswell

But that is buy request, rather than contractual obligation (in the case of the QLD sides).

For example this year we AREN'T playing the Titans twice, which is a shocking display of ineptitude from the schedulers.

As long as Team X and Team Y rate their arses off in major markets and Team Z doesn't, Team X and Y will get the lions share of FTA games.

Maximising crowds... I think this is far better than last year's efforts, if we're gonna compare it to anything. Time (and weather) will tell.

Lion's share is one thing, getting virtually no share is another. Its not about getting equal share, its about getting some sort of minimum share. Say 5 FTA games a year minimum for example.

Playing the Cowboys and Storm on Monday nights in Sydney around 8 or so times (and likely more in the final six rounds) isn't going to help crowds.

But that is buy request, rather than contractual obligation (in the case of the QLD sides).

For example this year we AREN'T playing the Titans twice, which is a shocking display of ineptitude from the schedulers.

Lion's share is one thing, getting virtually no share is another. Its not about getting equal share, its about getting some sort of minimum share. Say 5 FTA games a year minimum for example.

Playing the Cowboys and Storm on Monday nights in Sydney around 8 or so times (and likely more in the final six rounds) isn't going to help crowds.

I agree (and even that is taking into consideration that my team, The Eels, are probably getting more than their fair share of FTA games given their performances over the past 3 years).

The difference in allocation of FTA games should be say 10 to 5 (most shown to least shown), not 13 to 1 as it is now.

beave

Coach
Bit hard for other teams to rate on tv in qld when the f**king broncos are shown every friday night live on FTA. I dont think it matter who plays in the first game in QLD on friday nights, it will still rate its tits off.

Card Shark

Immortal
eels play all the bottom teams once
Broncos
Knights
Raiders
Sharks
Dragons
Titans
And have to play all the top teams twice. We got the worst draw this year

That is rough mate but loosing your match winner in Hayne will hurt a lot more.

Lambretta

First Grade
The Roosters home game is bloody awful as far as I'm concerned

I like night games as I have a family and spend the day with them
Friday and Saturday nights are nights out with the lads.

Catch up for beers, go to the game, have a drink after the game and then head home

We have one Friday night home game and not a single Saturday night home game all season

We have four Sunday afternoon games and two Monday night games.

I hate Monday night games and refuse to go, so those are out. Sunday afternoons and there will be pressure from the family not to go early and to come home straight after and I wont have a beers with the lads as I will have work the next day.

Had I not auto renewed, chances are I wouldn't have bought a membership
As it is, I've already got my membership - but the draw has put a real dampener on the upcoming season.

Very disappointed

On the plus side, we have away games on Friday and Saturday nights, so I can catch up with the lads in the pub, watch those games on the piss and stay sober for Roosters home games.

Suddenly things are looking up

Rabbits20

Immortal
Additionally, how many Souths players will more than likely be in either Origin team? 1 or 2 one would think and those are likely to be three quarters.

Inglis, Walker and McQueen will be in. That's 3.

Possibly Stewart and if Blues have injuries Reynolds or Johnston could get a go.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Teams request when they get their byes. The storm request no byes before origin so the big 3 get the rest the week after.

Souths only had 3 players in origin this year and 1 was a bench player. Other teams are a lot more effected then them.

You would still think Souths should get 1 bye in this period.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The Roosters home game is bloody awful as far as I'm concerned

I like night games as I have a family and spend the day with them
Friday and Saturday nights are nights out with the lads.

Catch up for beers, go to the game, have a drink after the game and then head home

We have one Friday night home game and not a single Saturday night home game all season

We have four Sunday afternoon games and two Monday night games.

I hate Monday night games and refuse to go, so those are out. Sunday afternoons and there will be pressure from the family not to go early and to come home straight after and I wont have a beers with the lads as I will have work the next day.

Had I not auto renewed, chances are I wouldn't have bought a membership
As it is, I've already got my membership - but the draw has put a real dampener on the upcoming season.

Very disappointed

On the plus side, we have away games on Friday and Saturday nights, so I can catch up with the lads in the pub, watch those games on the piss and stay sober for Roosters home games.

Suddenly things are looking up

Similar to my sentiments on our draw. Cannot attemd monday nights and most sunday games due to local sport commitments. Friday night is doable but a struggle. Will only get a 4 gsme membership if any at all. Imo we get our best crowds on a saturday night and its also disappointing that the majority of saturday afternoon games are interstate and we get none as its my favourite slot

Vic Mackey

Referee
JMoz and Jennings will be NSW centres. Walker was truly woeful for Aus

Leliua impressed far More in the 4N then walker did, Dugan and hopoate will be seen as center options plus ferguson coming back. After walkers poor 4N he would be long odds to play origin next year.

Latest posts