What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drugs use and criminal influence in Australian sport

newman

First Grade
The Cronulla Sharks Membership Team brings our members our official statement regarding the ongoing ACC and ASADA investigation.

Press Statement from the Sharks

Yesterday representatives from the Cronulla Sharks attended a meeting chaired by Tony Whitlam QC the head of the NRL's Integrity Commission.

The meeting, which also involved NRL CEO David Smith and representatives from five other NRL clubs, was to provide a better understanding of the investigation currently being undertaken by the Australian Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA).

Following the initial meeting Club Chairman Damian Irvine and General Manager of Football Darren Mooney then attended a private briefing with ASADA representatives.

From those meetings the Sharks can confirm that none of their players have tested positive to performance enhancing substances and that ASADA are focusing their investigation on a short period of time in 2011.

We welcome the investigation and seek clarity and answers as a result of the ongoing investigation. With a long process ahead of us it would be unhelpful to speculate any further or to discuss details of either the meetings on Tuesday or the continuing investigation.

The Sharks will be making no further comment on this matter at the present time and the club now looks forward to focusing its attention on the upcoming trial match in Tamworth and the start of the 2013 season.

Pig Champion

Juniors
Expect a press release with some detail later on.

Good, bad or indiiferent? Later on today, this week, this month? Sorry Newman, just anxious for info. Sorta like the doctor saying "sorry, it's malignant" or "you're all clear". Either way at least you know.

DJShaksta

First Grade
Thanks.

That's a "further tests required" from the doctor.

I don't think so to be honest.
If they are only concerned about those few weeks in 2011, they'll be continuing the audit of our supplement records more closely.
As long as players didn't continue taking Danks stuff - if they were anyway - we should be ok.

I'm an optimist.

Frailty

First Grade
Sacking Dank has to be our ace in the hole.

Right?

I posted previously on the NRL forum that I believe the Sharks will play a significant role as a witness in any action taken against Dank. The mere fact we booted him holds us in good steed that our club has taken the right action and there is no club organised cheating.

However, it could also place a few players from 2011 under the microscope when they were seeing Dank.

Stinkler

Juniors
I would have a guess and say that the Sharks are "fully cooperating" with ASADA, by spilling their guts on Dank, and reasons why he only lasted 4 weeks.

I would also guess that part of the deal would be that our players are immune form penalties for any positive test (done on the frozen samples and/or bloods) during that time.

Whatever happens outside that timeframe is the problem of the players involved, and if they are found to be "cheating" they will be wiped for 2 years.

Surely

Post Whore
I don't think so to be honest.
If they are only concerned about those few weeks in 2011, they'll be continuing the audit of our supplement records more closely.
As long as players didn't continue taking Danks stuff - if they were anyway - we should be ok.

I'm an optimist.

What was illegal about danks stuff ?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
can somebody please explain to me why a player on our 2011 roster, who in all likeliness, would be a very obvious witness, has not been targetted or his new club, like the Cowboys were?

Stinkler

Juniors
Are we talking about the same club that denied knowledge of a "jam jar"?
Or one that is currently "on holidays" somewhere far north of this country?

Explain why the Bulldogs weren't named in a report including match fixing allegations, and yet a former player was done for that attempting exact thing whilst playing for the club.

newman

First Grade
Who was in our 2011 squad that is still around?

Gal
Toops
Pommers
Gardz
Matthew Wright
Stapleton
Bukuya

Anyone else I'm forgetting?

Stinkler

Juniors
Paul Aiton, Colin Best, Jason Bukuya, Andrew Clayton, Dean Collis, Josh Cordoba, Luke Douglas, Stuart Flanagan, Paul Gallen, Nathan Gardener, Isaac Gordon, Wade Graham, Trent Grubb, Albert Kelly, Kose Lelei, Ricky Leutele, Johnny Mannah, Stewart Mills, John Morris, Matt Parata, Ben Pomeroy, Scott Porter, Jeremy Smith, Tim Smith, Kade Snowden, Nathan Stapleton, Taulima Tautai, Ryan Tongia, Anthony Tupou, Siosaia Vave, John Williams, Broderick Wright, Matthew Wright.

Latest posts