What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DT: Tim Smith leaves dark place for comeback

lingard

Coach
We (MAN) are all unique, not one the same as the next. There is no mould that fashions ALL souls but many believe there is as can be witnessed by their belief systems/points of view. This is the basis of creating a HERD mentality which has led to all the suffering of MAN, past, present and future.

Tyranny, Totalitarianism, Dictatorships, Authoritarianism, Despotism, Stalinism, Absolutism, etc are examples of this terrible sickness of MANS brain. If you don't fit in..... YOUR OUT.

We should be honouring the uniqueness of MAN instead of trying to get men like Tim Smith to fit into the herd so that he can be ostracised, ridiculed, etc, while protecting the HERDS existence.

One thing is to use shame to help another deal with the harm they have caused and another is protecting the HERD at all cost by judging and ridiculing others who don't fit in.

I'd rather the shame than the existence of any HERD.

"Cast Not The First Stone"

Creating a "MAN" is more important than anything else because a MAN is conscious of Doing No Harm and lives by the virtues of love. Without MAN we have a world of hu-mans lost to love (a hu-man is a colour of MAN, a fallen MAN, a man unconscious of consciousness, --- hu ---- of air, of nothingness, of no substance of MAN, a hu-man is lost to love).

Boooooooooooo Casper
icon7.gif

Virtues of love: nurture, care, support, encourage, inspire, empower, share, respect, give, create, guide, truth, honour, tolerance, acceptance, etc, etc. If we all put our energy/power of creation into these virtues of love how quickly we can transform everything going wrong in MANS world today. We don't need HERDS, we just need MAN loving/serving MAN.

You should stick to comedy - you're much better at it.

caylo

Bench
Jeff Robson made four absolutely top-shelf kicks in the first half last night. His vision is improving; his passing game is improving; he seldom makes a mistake (except with his kicking - but that, as I say, is improving); AND he is a superb defender. His confidence has improved and his ability to steer the side around has improved too. Tim Smith - whether he's got Bi-Polar or Alcoholism or Foot and Mouth Disease - isn't in the same class as Robson!
There's only one thing to say to that Lingard...................you're wrong.
Tim Smith has better kicking and passing game both long and short, timmy also has much better vision and can throw a bullet pass. Timmy also is much more deceptive in his passing aswell. BUT Robson is a better fit for the team right now with our attack more team based rather then based around a halfback or 5-8.

yy_cheng

Coach
Tim Smith has better kicking and passing game both long and short, timmy also has much better vision and can throw a bullet pass. Timmy also is much more deceptive in his passing aswell. BUT Robson is a better fit for the team right now with our attack more team based rather then based around a halfback or 5-8.

Caylo

I think Hayne has the kicking game and bullet passes too plus Hayne runs and defends better.

Hayne's short kicking is not as good but I think our team combination does not need Timmy.

Even Mateo looked out of place yesterday until Hayne came off.

Too many cooks and with Timmy, it will be way too many. That's why now I think KK would suit the team better.

caylo

Bench
Caylo

I think Hayne has the kicking game and bullet passes too plus Hayne runs and defends better.

Hayne's short kicking is not as good but I think our team combination does not need Timmy.

Even Mateo looked out of place yesterday until Hayne came off.

Too many cooks and with Timmy, it will be way too many. That's why now I think KK would suit the team better.

sorry did you read my post, I am comparing Robson and Timmy as players (because lingard said he though Robson was a better player than Tim) and I stated that although I think Timmy is a better player but Robson suited the team better.

Mateo will take some time to return to some form, last night he didnt see too much ball and didnt look to offload at every chance, once he has some fitness the hole running will come back. (he look very unfit and probably is carrying 5kg in fat to much).

lingard

Coach

Be that as it may, Caylo; I still think - after taking into consideration their strong points and their weak points - that, overall, Jeff Robson is a better half-back than Tim Smith. Not just a better fit for our team right now, but a better half-back, full stop. Maybe if he goes to England next year we can compare the impact he has to the impact Smith had this year.

caylo

Bench
Be that as it may, Caylo; I still think - after taking into consideration their strong points and their weak points - that, overall, Jeff Robson is a better half-back than Tim Smith. Not just a better fit for our team right now, but a better half-back, full stop. Maybe if he goes to England next year we can compare the impact he has to the impact Smith had this year.

Lingard it depends on what you think is important in a halfback, Robson defence is all that he has over Timmy but defence isnt a halfbacks main job, it is to create trys and structure the team. Timmy would flurrish in a team with poor outside backs (i.e Sharks) or a team with very good outside back, he would make any team more potent in attack.
Robson on the other hand can suplement an attacking team, he would never be good enough to produce the big plays on his own (very finch like with better defence tbh).
Robson suits our team more because Hayne is our go-to-man and he can take a back seat while Timmy will demand alot more ball and likes to play the game to his terms. Timmy would be a good acquisition for a team like Souths, Warriors, Sharks, Penrith and even the Dogs who lack a go to man in the halves (kimmorley will retire soon and he would complement Rogers game) while Robson would suit a team like Melbourne, Titans, Cowboys and Manly who have there go-to players (Smith, Cronk, Prince, Thurston, Orford and Lyon) but he could be sold in defence, be a link players but can be relyed on to have a decent kicking game if the main playmaker is takled on the last or taken out of play.

Krakow

Juniors
Yeah, Carpe, that is well said. But I just don't like Tim Smith as a player. I reckon he's the most over-rated half-back Parramatta has ever had.

This is a gee up right? :crazy::crazy: either that or you have a very short memory, the guy can play and has more ability in his big toe than Robson.

It's whether he can recapture it.

Robson is playing great at the moment, as good as a park football can :eek:

lingard

Coach
Smith was very erratic; which Robson is not. Smith can't run; which Robson can. Smith can't tackle; which Robson can. Robson does steer the team around the paddock and the attack flows smoothly through him. I never did see Smith as much of an organiser. Robson isn't just a tackling machine, he reads the play exceptionally well and pops up where he needs to be. It's not so much how many tackles he does, but the quality and importance of those tackles. I'd love to know how many tries he's saved in our seven match run.
And perhaps others have poor memories, but I think Smith ended up having as many poor games as he did good ones. For mine, Robson is a better half-back. I also think that people tend to confuse 'brilliance' with good play.

lingard

Coach
This is a gee up right? :crazy::crazy: either that or you have a very short memory, the guy can play and has more ability in his big toe than Robson.

It's whether he can recapture it.

Robson is playing great at the moment, as good as a park football can :eek:

We're not talking about ability here; we're talking about who is the better half-back - and for me it's Robson. I think he's a better all-round half-back than Tim Smith. No gee-up. He's a better leader, too.

bartman

Immortal
And to say Smith wasnt an organiser is utter crap.
I remember Tim Smith's organisational skills extending to full on yelling at teammates for not being exactly where he fired his long speculative passes, when his poor percentage play resulted in a turnover of possession to the opposition... but to me that's not organising, or being a team player. That's just being a knob.

He had a godd, no great, debut season on the back of some amazing natural individual talent. But the years since he hasn't developed that into high standard team halfback play, and I agree that I'd view Robson (and Mortimer, and K Keating) as the all round better halfbacks.

benoir91

Juniors
I remember Tim Smith's organisational skills extending to full on yelling at teammates for not being exactly where he fired his long speculative passes, when his poor percentage play resulted in a turnover of possession to the opposition... but to me that's not organising, or being a team player. That's just being a knob.

He had a godd, no great, debut season on the back of some amazing natural individual talent. But the years since he hasn't developed that into high standard team halfback play, and I agree that I'd view Robson (and Mortimer, and K Keating) as the all round better halfbacks.

So over 3 seasons, do you actually believe he didnt organise the side well? I remember while the player in possession was being tackled Tim was barking instructions pointing his hands and knew exactly what he was doing, tbh it was his execution that let him down most of the time.

I admit he did unfairly yell at his own players at times, but you can look at that from a different view and say he has great passion and desire to win.

lingard

Coach
So over 3 seasons, do you actually believe he didnt organise the side well? I remember while the player in possession was being tackled Tim was barking instructions pointing his hands and knew exactly what he was doing, tbh it was his execution that let him down most of the time.

I admit he did unfairly yell at his own players at times, but you can look at that from a different view and say he has great passion and desire to win.

In answer to your first question? Yes.
And you are right, his execution did let him down. A bit like Brett Finch?
And, lastly, I'm sure Jeff Robson has great passion and desire to win. He just handles it a lot better.

Fishboy

Juniors
I don't know if this has been said......
But its simply a case of that we dont have much money.
And it comes down to that tim smith may take $55k offer and robson may not.......

caylo

Bench
In answer to your first question? Yes.
And you are right, his execution did let him down. A bit like Brett Finch?
And, lastly, I'm sure Jeff Robson has great passion and desire to win. He just handles it a lot better.

Timmy could organise a team, you just have to look at the players and the lines they were running. Timmy always knew what he was doing and more often then not hit his mark. He has a good 2005 and very avg 2006 which included injuries and media speculation, he then came back and had a Top 2007 before falling away after 3 games in 2008. Essentially Tim played 3 season and in two of those seasons we won the minor premiership once and made it to the penultimate game in both years.

In 2008 we had nothing in attack outside of off the cuff plays from Mateo and not until Jarryd has taken more of a role in attack have we seen any organisation back into the team.

Tim has a much better passing game and kicking game then Robson, you cant even compare them. Tim running game is just as good of not better then Robson. Tim organise an attack better then Robson (for this reason he wont wont suit parramatta any more because this would take ball away from Jarryd IMO).

Robson is a better support player and a better defender (not not traits required by a halfback, if anything more a 5-8 game). You can argue otherwise Lingard but simple the stats won support you tbh.

Tim Smith has the halfback game to win a comp (without an organising 5-8 or fullback) while Robson could not do it on his own and requires a skillful 5-8 or fullback. example:

how far would go in a comp

1 Burt

6 Finch/Morris
7 Robson

compared to

1 Burt

6 Finch/Morris
7 T.Smith

Tim got to th3 prelim finals with 2 useless 5-8 and an average fullback. Robson is in a team with a more attacking 5-8 and the best player in the world at fullback (even when Hayne was at fullback in 06/07 he wanst nearly as good as he is now). If Robson was in a team were he was the sole or main playmaker you would nto even consider making such comments. Lingard I respect most of what you say but you are being naive.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
All this analysis over Tim Smiths play is pointless, even if he does come back to Parra. Begining of the year, Robson had poor organisational play and his kicking was terrible and Dan Mortimers wasnt that flash either. Now they are going gang busters. If DA can get these 2, along with Lowrie to develop their game like they have, he will undoubtedly do it with Timmy aswell.

I always looked at Timmy and thought he had all the specialties of a halfback but lacked all the hard stuff and the less flashy stuff. If thats all DA needs to instill into Timmys game, he will play first grade at Parra again.

bartman

Immortal
So over 3 seasons, do you actually believe he didnt organise the side well?
I formed the view that he was an individualist and not a team player... and hence not a good organiser, not as good as others who don't have his raw talent or abilities. That's the comparison, and that's why he's fourth out of that list imo.

Yes, you can see it as passion... but that doesn't mean it does anyone or the team any good, eg Finch's passion versus Robson's composure.