What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eddie's Gone

RABK

Referee
Genuine bell ringers? None. Good, dominant tackles? 6 or 7 with 3 of them coming in round 1.

RABK

Referee
And the Hayne 'hit' was the most overwanked highlight i've ever seen. It was a basically a shoulder drive into Haynes kidney from behind. If anything it was a bit of a dog act that could have injured Hayne. If someone like Cam Smith or Isaac Luke did there'd be outcries to ban the 'Kidneyspliter' tackle.

My money is on Hayne to steamroll or step through Edwards 95/100 if he ran at him on a one on one situation.

perverse

Referee
Yeah he certainly blindsided Hayne... it would have obviously been a different story had Hayne seen him coming. I still enjoyed the hit, though. It was legitimate, you don't have to send warning signals that you're about to belt someone around the ribs.

RABK

Referee
Whilst certainly a legal tackle i believed it crossed the line morally.

As i recalled it Edwards was 5 metres behind Hayne as Hayne, with his back facing edwards, raised his hand calling for the ball from a teammate about to be tackled with it on the last. Edwards, seeing Hayne raise his hand, quickly lowers his head and charges at Hayne with the intention to drive his shoulder into Haynes lower back. Keep in mind Edwards is now driving with no possible vision to know which way Hayne is facing or if he even received the ball.

The only thing that stopped it from been a full blown dog shoulder charge into Hyanes spine or kidneys was the fact that Hayne turned at the last second to attempt a quick catch and pass. Edwards hits hayne the very millisecond the ball touches his hand - don't try and tell me Edwards is Will Hunting in mathematical ability and calculated a bunch of stuff allowing him to blindly hit Hayne the millisecond he touched the ball.

Edwards greatest, probably forever, career highlight is a dog shot that most players wouldn't feel necessary to do through fear of seriously injuring the opposing player.

Rod

Bench
You're overanalysing it. Calling it a dog shot is unfair IMO.

It was effectively a spot tackle but from side on instead of front on. Hayne having his hands high up in order to catch the ball meant his midsection was, unfortunately for him, exposed. That's footy.

RHCP

Bench
You look like you need a hand Stuke. How about, Edwards:

- is solid
- has potential
- has mongrel
- has the right attitude
- has spark
- is a confidence player
- is an Origin player

there's some more baseless buzz words for you to use Stuke, go for your life mate.

The Hayne shot looked spectacular at the time from where I was sitting in the stands, but on replay it's an average effort. I wouldn't go as far as calling it a dog shot though, from what I remember he definitely wasn't going in for the spine/kidneys, just the mid-section, as always.

RABK

Referee
You're overanalysing it. Calling it a dog shot is unfair IMO.

It was effectively a spot tackle but from side on instead of front on. Hayne having his hands high up in order to catch the ball meant his midsection was, unfortunately for him, exposed. That's footy.

Go watch again when Edwards drops his head Haynes back is completely exposed to Edwards, not his side. Unless you are suggesting that Edwards has eyes on the top of his scalp then he was aiming at Haynes spine and only made contact with Haynes ribs because Hayne turned just before Edwards hit him.

Big Tim

First Grade
Not sure how to embed videos.

But here is the hit.

http://youtu.be/o_OgN0EsLq4

I dont think he went in to hurt hayne, definitely wanted to make sure he didnt catch the ball though.

At least it wasnt a shoulder charge, nor did he go high.

Last edited:

Big Tim

First Grade
Watching again, Eddie doesnt put his head down until the ball is thrown.

He knew Hayne was going to get it. I think it is a good play to recognise where the ball is going.

RABK

Referee
And i'm not suggesting it as a dog shot against the rules, but against general player morality. I played league and union for 9 years and never felt the need to and always maintained that 'attacking' a players lower back was plain wrong and the realm of those who wished to injure someone. I'm sure many others who always played league or union understand what i am saying.

What is up for argument is that i suggest based on the evidence edwards aimed at Haynes lower back and have provided my theory, some of you guys are saying it was aimed at and hit the ribs which i find very hard to believe.

Rod

Bench
Go watch again when Edwards drops his head Haynes back is completely exposed to Edwards, not his side. Unless you are suggesting that Edwards has eyes on the top of his scalp then he was aiming at Haynes spine and only made contact with Haynes ribs because Hayne turned just before Edwards hit him.

At the end of the day you don't know he was aiming for his spine or aiming to injure him. I'm not denying that he timed the tackle pretty much perfectly, but you're making unfair assumptions about his intentions. All we have is to go on is the video that's in front of us. Far from a dog shot.

Big Tim

First Grade
http://youtu.be/qVDqNRS1ajM

I lol'd

3 attacking highlights in a season. 2 where he should have scored or provided a try assist, and 1 where he followed someone through the line and got a slow play the ball.

This is why we arent tearing down the walls in anger at his decision to leave.

RABK

Referee
And again - if Isaac Luke, Sam Thaiday or Cam Smith did the exact same tackle on lets say Danny Buderus quite a few on here would be questioning the intention behind the tackle and analysing it. It's because Edwards was the flavour of the month back then that it got passed of as a legit bell ringer.

RABK

Referee
http://youtu.be/qVDqNRS1ajM

I lol'd

3 attacking highlights in a season. 2 where he should have scored or provided a try assist, and 1 where he followed someone through the line and got a slow play the ball.

This is why we arent tearing down the walls in anger at his decision to leave.

Watching the line break against the broncos i was thinking "oh he is scoring a try here 15 metres to run with no broncos player within 5 metres, Aquaduck was wrong that edwards never scored a try for the knig.... how in Gods name did he not score?!?!"

Big Tim

First Grade
Watching the line break against the broncos i was thinking "oh he is scoring a try here 15 metres to run with no broncos player within 5 metres, Aquaduck was wrong that edwards never scored a try for the knig.... how in Gods name did he not score?!?!"

Same here. I couldnt believe it.

His game does has a place in the NRL, but in our team we have guys that can handle his work just as, if not more, effectively.

People saying he is a terrible player are underselling him, but some of the Raider fans (and Stuke) are greatly overselling his value.

His true worth lays somewhere in the middle, as always.

Burwood

Bench
I don't think Edwards has lost any ability this year compared to last. The big hits are gone because Bennett is focusing on getting 2-3 guys into every tackle and wrapping up the ball. Edwards tackles last year looked good and were quite effective you'd have to think, but Bennett seems to want him to defend as part of a team and not weaken the defensive line in any way.

aqua_duck

Coach
I don't think Edwards has lost any ability this year compared to last. The big hits are gone because Bennett is focusing on getting 2-3 guys into every tackle and wrapping up the ball. Edwards tackles last year looked good and were quite effective you'd have to think, but Bennett seems to want him to defend as part of a team and not weaken the defensive line in any way.

I think those big lumbering types aren't running straight at him anymore, I don't buy the multiple defenders theory because he's been isolated one on one on quite a few occasions especially against more mobile opponents and really struggled

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Laugh it up at Stuke - i could probably bring up about 5 threads in 2011 where the lot of you, bar Aqua Duck, where touting Edwards as a 'future origin player', a '10 year Knight' and 'the best defender in the NRL'. I wouldn't be surprised if Joel read those exact remarks on here leading to him and his manager to reject the Knights offers and chase the rep dollars. Good work guys if so - you smokescreened the fraud out of here.

Guys like Taufua, Kaufusi and even the by god awful Ciraldo offered so much more than Edwards despite their obvious flaws that saw Bennett move them on. Edwards is close to the worst player to ever play a full season for the Knights.

I haven't gone through the thread regarding Edwards, but I'm pretty sure I haven't ever talked him up. I haven't seen any real strengths in his game. One of the big hits that gets peoples attention, is one where the bloke caught the ball in mid air and got hammered. Any first grade player could have pulled off that shot.

Stuke, you're an avoidant moron living in a fantasy world. Either answer the question asked of you or don't. The way you are replying to peoples accusations, demonstrates a great deal of dishonesty. Either man up or shut up...

On Edwards, I don't see any real strengths. His tackle busts are non existant, same goes for his passing and offloads. He struggles to get close to 10 meters per hit up. He is now doing a great deal of footwork at the line which appears promising, but he never beats a tackler due to it. The bloke offers nothing and I pity Canberra for signing him.

juniorknight

Juniors
RABK - I have never heard such utter tripe in all my life. You have lost all credibility and after all of your footballing experience you have shown that you have zero credibility on anything to do with football and might I suggest life. I think if you add that Eddy shot JFK you would be drawing a similar length bow. I actually thought that he was trying to eat Hayne's heart after killing him as you see him grip his fingers just as Hayne lands on the ground! Imbecile

You only need to watch a Knights game to see Eddy backing up on most plays and using his footwork at the line and beating such bad defenders as Sam Burgess etc. He missed Reynolds after covering for Tyrone on Sat night but of course Aqua Duck etc would know that already as he is an expert in WB's defensive pattern etc.

I am embarrassed reading this garbage on here as a knights fan because most of you are nothing but keyboard heroes who apparently have a chip on your shoulder over your own lack of ability or just a general lack of intelligence on anything to with football. Eddy has left the Knights. The club have given there side and Eddy has yet to give his but he got more $$ so good luck to the bloke and let's see in 3 years who was right. If any knights players bothered to even look on here they would cease to give 2 hoots about any fans as some of you are a disgrace to the club

RABK you are No.1 of the idiot pile

I am sorry to the people who have shown a level head on this issue but I can't let idiots like that "represent" our club!

Frederick

Staff member
That looks awfully a lot like something that would be posted on the herald comments section :-k