What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eddie's Gone

JK has redefined hypocrite in the dictionary. Oxygen theft should be a crime. You would be a lifer. I thought i had heard it all.

Last edited:

KempoKnight

Juniors
Masturbating to famous peoples pics online doesn't actually count as meeting them in real life RABK and I would check that Thai chick as I'm pretty sure it was a ladyboy!

Aqua Duck I am not actually Joel or even his relative. He is my hairdresser and father of my first born child so I would prefer that he was given that respect! I actually thought the chip had flown off your shoulder for a moment but it must have been a moment of madness when you actually conceded other people missed tackles.

I have never said Joel doesn't miss tackles and he is a far better defender in the middle of the field at lock than on the edges IMO as he lacks the lateral speed to get a defender who gets on the outside of him particularly with poor defenders around him ie Roberts.

I have met Joel at a several fundraisers in the community & he does seem like a good guy and he has helped raise money for cancer charities etc so I would stand up for him while internet heroes get on here and bag anyone off as it's so easy to do and then you feed off each other.

And RABK I think you might need to bend down and see if you dropped anymore names.

God doesn't take much for you to spread m does it?

aqua_duck

Coach
Masturbating to famous peoples pics online doesn't actually count as meeting them in real life RABK and I would check that Thai chick as I'm pretty sure it was a ladyboy!

Aqua Duck I am not actually Joel or even his relative. He is my hairdresser and father of my first born child so I would prefer that he was given that respect! I actually thought the chip had flown off your shoulder for a moment but it must have been a moment of madness when you actually conceded other people missed tackles.

I have never said Joel doesn't miss tackles and he is a far better defender in the middle of the field at lock than on the edges IMO as he lacks the lateral speed to get a defender who gets on the outside of him particularly with poor defenders around him ie Roberts.

I have met Joel at a several fundraisers in the community & he does seem like a good guy and he has helped raise money for cancer charities etc so I would stand up for him while internet heroes get on here and bag anyone off as it's so easy to do and then you feed off each other.

And RABK I think you might need to bend down and see if you dropped anymore names.
No one has questioned whether he is a good guy or not, the only thing we've questioned is his football ability and his opinion of himself. I hear Kirk Reynoldson is a good guy as well, so too Reegan Tanner and Dan Tolar, doesn't mean we can't analyse and criticise his football ability. I mean you've conceded yourself he has below average lateral quickness and can struggle against quicker guys, all I've added on is whilst his defence is no worse than a few others, unlike them he hasn't got the attacking game to atone for defensive misses. The fact that it's 2012 and he's not a big guy (indisputable) has poor lateral quickness (which you've conceded) and has very limited attacking ability (yet to show anything worthwhile anyway) should be
enough to indicate that whilst he's a nice guy and does his bit for the community he is behind the eight ball when compared to the modern day backrower

Junior Knight may want to stop being everything he/she claims to abhor. Hence my hypocrite statement. I am sure JK is a decent person but the reason for me suggesting he/she may be a little unstable is that their defensive stance is unprovoked. It is irrational and over the top to defend someone u met at a fundraiser and clearly have idol worship issues over. I idolise John Lennon but he was a jerk of massive proportions for a good part of his life. It is about balance which Aqua has pointed out. It isn't personal at all. Joel is an arrogant brat IMO. More fool him. Doesn't mean I wouldn't have a beer with him.

Johns Magic

Referee
This criticism of Edwards is way over the top and has been for a while.

I think the majority of us think he has his place in a footy squad. The sticking point is that we generally don't think it's a place worth 200K+, or certainly not in his current form. The ridicule seems to be stemming from the fact everyone thinks he must rate himself as a 200K+ player, but you can't blame a guy for chasing the dollars if they are being thrown at him. I definitely think he has more in him than he's showing at the moment, and maybe that's what Canberra are banking on.

Good luck to Edwards, I hope he makes something of himself.

I think people here need to let it go. The point has been made, there's no use stewing on it and it's starting to become a bit too personal obviously.

RABK

Referee
I think that the Edwards thing as a whole has gone way over the top. 25 pages and counting for a very average first grader? Steve Simpson retired with a 3 page thread. If nothing else, Edwards can certainly divide the fans.

I think most, myself included, saw potential in Edwards. He displayed a base that you coulde build a very good NRL footballer from. Some players come in with a full array of abilities but every single NRL player needs to possess a 9/10+ base to start from at minimum whether that'd be speed, size, strength, defence, ballplaying, attitude etc

Edwards showed early on he had a defensive attitude that could make him a very good first grade footballer. We all applauded his at times brutal defence for a guy of his size. But the development of an attacking game or some ball playing skills, improvements in size and athleticism or commitment to producing higher workrates.... none of that stuff ever came - infact it all went backwards from the 'decent' standard he set in each department from his first grade debut.

Arguments about Bennett negatively affecting Joels game are a bit far fetched but could possibly be given value if some decent analysis was done by someone claiming that. But the evidence pointing to Joel going backwards in every single facet of been an NRL footballer right down to how the Knights have handled negotiations with him.

I have been stinging in my opinion of Edwards, and perhaps 'over the top' in getting that opinion across however i maintain that opinion. I think he's worth a 40k second tier contract to play in our NSW cup squad to be called upon in the event of a few injuries. Not a guy that should be taking up 100-200k of our main salary cap and a regular spot in our top 17. I for the life of me cannot see what he has offered at all this year that say... Ethan Cooke could not have doubled if given the opportunity. I can't begin to understand why Bennett has kept in the side for so long apart from maybe salary cap issues and that our front row shortage throughout the year meant most the forwards blooded were props or young guys incapable of playing large minutes.

I don't hate Joel Edwards, never met the guy. If he walk past me in a shopping mall i might not even recognize him. If i met him i'd talk to him but if he asked me what i thought about his footballing ability i'd tell him he has not got much going for him. Perhaps one day an NRL player or coach telling him the exact same thing might cause him to look to develop his game further and add some tools to a pretty empty shed.

I wish him good luck but not too much because it is canberra after all.

aqua_duck

Coach
The problem is a few people have taken a thread about Eddy's footballing ability way too personally

Rod

Bench
Just had a nosey at the other forum, a poster called 'junior82' is posting the same dribble over there as well.

Big Tim

First Grade
I think that the Edwards thing as a whole has gone way over the top. 25 pages and counting for a very average first grader? Steve Simpson retired with a 3 page thread. If nothing else, Edwards can certainly divide the fans.

I think most, myself included, saw potential in Edwards. He displayed a base that you coulde build a very good NRL footballer from. Some players come in with a full array of abilities but every single NRL player needs to possess a 9/10+ base to start from at minimum whether that'd be speed, size, strength, defence, ballplaying, attitude etc

Edwards showed early on he had a defensive attitude that could make him a very good first grade footballer. We all applauded his at times brutal defence for a guy of his size. But the development of an attacking game or some ball playing skills, improvements in size and athleticism or commitment to producing higher workrates.... none of that stuff ever came - infact it all went backwards from the 'decent' standard he set in each department from his first grade debut.

Arguments about Bennett negatively affecting Joels game are a bit far fetched but could possibly be given value if some decent analysis was done by someone claiming that. But the evidence pointing to Joel going backwards in every single facet of been an NRL footballer right down to how the Knights have handled negotiations with him.

I have been stinging in my opinion of Edwards, and perhaps 'over the top' in getting that opinion across however i maintain that opinion. I think he's worth a 40k second tier contract to play in our NSW cup squad to be called upon in the event of a few injuries. Not a guy that should be taking up 100-200k of our main salary cap and a regular spot in our top 17. I for the life of me cannot see what he has offered at all this year that say... Ethan Cooke could not have doubled if given the opportunity. I can't begin to understand why Bennett has kept in the side for so long apart from maybe salary cap issues and that our front row shortage throughout the year meant most the forwards blooded were props or young guys incapable of playing large minutes.

I don't hate Joel Edwards, never met the guy. If he walk past me in a shopping mall i might not even recognize him. If i met him i'd talk to him but if he asked me what i thought about his footballing ability i'd tell him he has not got much going for him. Perhaps one day an NRL player or coach telling him the exact same thing might cause him to look to develop his game further and add some tools to a pretty empty shed.

I wish him good luck but not too much because it is canberra after all.

There are plenty of guys who have played for this club and not lived up to standards on the field, but are truly great guys of it.

Ben Rogers did a heap of work with disabled children, Dan Tolar was a gentleman, and knew his limitations and even joked about them. FFS Dustin Cooper had some of the best jokes going around. Scott Dureau got a cult following by the supporter group because he dared to ask "why do you idolise Timmy, and not me?"

There is no personal attacks here. Only questions over why Eddie rates himself so highly with few runs on the board. If he goes on to Canberra and backs it up with a rep jersey of some sort, than good on him, but we just question his ability to do so based on the evidence we have.

Again, he can, and probably will be a reasonable NRL player. An Origin player?? I havent seen it.

Joker's Wild

Coach
lol WTF happened in here?

I loved the line where LU posters are never held accountable for their posts. That shit was so wide of the mark it takes 1000 years for the light from the mark to reach it.

Well done to all involved though. It gave me a giggle

Frederick

Staff member
Edwards may pay price for big defeat
CANBERRA-bound Knights forward Joel Edwards is tipped to be the casualty of Newcastle’s horror start against the Bulldogs when their 18-man squad for the NRL match against the Sharks on Monday night at Hunter Stadium is trimmed.
Edwards agreed to terms on a three-year deal with the Raiders reported to be worth about $600,000 on the eve of Newcastle’s 26-10 loss to Canterbury at Hunter Stadium last Saturday night.
It came two days after the Cessnock Goannas junior rejected a two-year extension with the Knights said to be worth more than $300,000.
The 24-year-old followed the dramatic week with a 31-minute display against the Bulldogs in which he made six runs for 49metres.
He made 15 tackles but missed two, including one that allowed Josh Reynolds to score a soft try in the 17th minute.
Krisnan Inu converted for the Bulldogs to lead 24-0.
The Knights named an 18-man squad on Tuesday for their round-23 game against the Sharks, because of the return of former Test and NSW Origin prop Kade Snowden from a knee injury he suffered in round 17 against Parramatta.
Zane Tetevano was moved to the bench and named 18th man in the Knights team.
Robbie Rochow, Zeb Taia, Adam Cuthbertson and Alex McKinnon were selected on an extended bench with Tetevano.
Edwards, who started against Canterbury, was again named in the second row but the Herald has been told he is the player likely to drop out and play NSW Cup for Newcastle against Mounties at Mount Pritchard Sportsground tomorrow.
If he is dropped, the move will spark speculation he is paying for his decision to snub his home-town club and secure a richer deal at Canberra.
Edwards has played in Wayne Bennett’s side every week he has been available this year.
He has missed one match, the 32-12 loss to the Cowboys in round 10, and that was through a one-week suspension for a dangerous throw on Roosters halfback Mitchell Pearce.
He has has played 80minutes five times this season and his 31 minutes against Canterbury was the second-least game time he has received this season, edging out the 30 minutes he played in the 34-22 loss to Melbourne in round five.
LINK

Johns Magic

Referee
I'm surprised Zane isn't the one being dropped first but I'm glad to hear Edwards is on the chopping block. I'm guessing Taia will move back into the second-row.

lol WTF happened in here?

I loved the line where LU posters are never held accountable for their posts. That shit was so wide of the mark it takes 1000 years for the light from the mark to reach it.

Well done to all involved though. It gave me a giggle

I was just waiting for the ruler to come out for a full on measuring contest.

Big Tim

First Grade
I'm surprised Zane isn't the one being dropped first but I'm glad to hear Edwards is on the chopping block. I'm guessing Taia will move back into the second-row.

Me too, but it could be a line in the sand to all other players.

A one in all in sorta deal. It s a bit hypocritical, but if it works, who cares?

Frederick

Staff member
bee1feb8.jpg