What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eddie's Gone

Apey

Staff member
I'm surprised Zane isn't the one being dropped first but I'm glad to hear Edwards is on the chopping block. I'm guessing Taia will move back into the second-row.

Do we have anyone to replace him with though?

Johns Magic

Referee
Not sure I follow you...

Snowden is in for Edwards, I thought it would be Snowden in for Tetevano.

I don't think we have anyone else so dropping both isn't much of an option in my eyes, if that's what you're asking.

RABK

Referee
I was just waiting for the ruler to come out for a full on measuring contest.

Yeh because you of all people could sit on a pedestal and judge those putting some bitch in her place.

Please. You are like a dog with two rear ends, shit coming out from both ends and twice as easy to kick around.

Apey

Staff member
Not sure I follow you...

Snowden is in for Edwards, I thought it would be Snowden in for Tetevano.

I don't think we have anyone else so dropping both isn't much of an option in my eyes, if that's what you're asking.

Well it seems Wayne is going with 4 props if it is Edwards making room. If Tetevano was ditched instead, would we have just stuck with 3 or would he have gone for 4 (who?)?

So yeah it was kind of what I was asking.

I'll just make a note that I get mixed up with who is playing prop and who is playing 2nd row sometimes with our bench. :lol:

Frederick

Staff member
Edwards named 18th man
Friday 10 August 2012 11:52 AM

Hunter Ports Newcastle Knights coach Wayne Bennett said forward Joel Edwards will be the Knights' 18th man for Monday's clash with the Cronulla Sharks at Hunter Stadium.
There will be a reshuffle; with Zane Tetevano moving to the bench and Alex McKinnon who will be in the starting line up.
Bennett insisted the change is not about looking ahead to next season, but rather having the best team out on the field as the Knights continue their push for a place in the final eight.
“There’s a lot of variables there, it depends where you’re travelling in the competition and a whole lot of issues,” Bennett said.
“Right now, we’ve got to get our best team on the field every week and that’s our priority.
“Zeb (Taia) is going (at the end of the year) and other guys are leaving as well and none of that (dropping players because they won’t be at the Club next season) has happened here.
“If we were at the bottom of the competition preparing for next year than maybe you make other decisions.
“Right now we want the best team out there because these guys still have confidence in themselves to hope they can make the playoffs and that’s what we’re aiming for.”
Bennett said the decision to make Edwards 18th man was based on his form in recent weeks.
"(Form) is what you get picked on here," Bennett explained.
“Joel’s in a category of guys there where you’ve got to pick one out two or three probably to go back (to NSW Cup).
“He’s had the benefit of the doubt all year and I’m trying to help one or two others get a bit of confidence about themselves. There’s nothing between about three of them and I’ve made a decision.
“At the start of the season (Joel) wasn’t great and he’s had some good patches and some ordinary patches, like a lot of them have.
“It could have been between him and two other blokes, but at the moment I’ve gone with the other two just to try and give them some confidence and some belief and see what they can bring.
“I’ve certainly given Joel that all season and given him the benefit of the doubt.”
LINK

Translation: you don't f**k with Wayne Bennett

perverse

Referee
correct me if I'm wrong... but hasn't McKinnon started for us for at least the past month, just being named in the #17 jersey? Pretty sure he has started at "Lock"... but has been playing out a bit wider than that.

so it's Snowden in for Tetevano to drop to the bench... and Eddy out of the team for who to start? will Nev actually start at Lock this week, instead of just being named there and getting pushed to the bench?

lol @ Bennett's comments on Eddy, too. much closer to the mark than Furner.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
I imagine we'll see House and McKinnon in the second-row, Nev at lock, Zane and Cuthbo as bench props and Taia and Rochow as bench backrowers.

And to Apey, I think dropping Edwards or Zane just meant Taia would have to switch. He plays as a front-rower when Eddy is picked, or a backrower if Zane is picked.

Also yeah, lol at Bennett coming out and massively contradicting Furner. Bennett doesn't seem to think Edwards has been so "fantastic" this year obviously.

RABK

Referee
lol @ Bennett's comments on Eddy, too. much closer to the mark than Furner.

He put it as nicely as possible 'I've given a nuffy player enough chances to improve his game, build some confidence and show something but you can't polish a turd'

RABK

Referee
I bet he regrets not doing back in december.

Perverse the search engine magician. You able to find the thread where we were discussing that very thing back then? I remember i heard about it before it made the media - infact did it (Edwards rejecting a 3 year 600k deal) even make the media until the recent Edwards contract saga?

It'd be interesting what were peoples opinions of Edwards rejecting our offer back then and how exactly something, that as i can recall, wasn't reported in the media got broken onto the forum. (Perhaps myself, Aqua, Showstopper etc broke that news)

RABK

Referee
Had a quick search myself but couldn't find the thread. I'm certain it wasn't reported in the media yet the forum was discussing and divided on how Joel Edwards rejected a pre season contract. Some applauded him for backing himself and thought he'd earn a higher contract and others thought it'd backfire big time.

It'd be a great time capsule to bring up in this thread. lol

Wayne sees Nev as a lock. He said as much in The Knights Insider Q and A he does every couple of months. He also admitted Nev is too small for Front Row but he stayed there for The Dragons cos it suited their system.

RABK

Referee
hahahahaha omg. im sorry but...

Chicken Hunter said:
I think Eddy is about to unleash on the NRL

Seems Roopy broke the news from some obscure article.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I'm happy to see Mckinnon starting. Last week against the dogs, it was noticeable there for a 5 minute period where he played with a lot of aggression. It was great to seed him continually trying to run out of the line and put a big hit on.

Johns Magic

Referee
Aqua having Edwards at lock in a "jizzworthy" dream backrow down the track earlier this season is up there as a backflip.

Last edited: