What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edwards or DWZ for fullback next year

Dwz or Edwards for full back

• DWZ

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Edwards

Votes: 33 67.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kilkenny

Coach
If he was playing wing for us and NZ he would be near that award either.

I doubt he wins it. Dunno shit about the Poms form. But Teddy has a grand final victory and Origin series win to his name. DWZ has been great but in less successful teams ( you wouldnt know it when his own fans are bagging him out) and its a great achievement even being on that shortlist.

We get bagged for overrating players. Now we have a guy captaining his country, on a shortlist for the golden boot and no one rates him apparently.

Dallin is a very, very good player, either at fullback or wing, great person, great club man I agree we should be proud of his achievements. All players make a mistake here and there. If you look hard enough you could find errors for all the top players but you have to focus on the good things that they do well 90 per cent of the time.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade

I doubt he wins it. Dunno shit about the Poms form. But Teddy has a grand final victory and Origin series win to his name. DWZ has been great but in less successful teams ( you wouldnt know it when his own fans are bagging him out) and its a great achievement even being on that shortlist.

We get bagged for overrating players. Now we have a guy captaining his country, on a shortlist for the golden boot and no one rates him apparently.

No need to cry about it. Some of us just think Edwards is better. Edwards too is one of our players, lest you forget, so chin up.

OldPanther

Coach

We get bagged for overrating players. Now we have a guy captaining his country, on a shortlist for the golden boot and no one rates him apparently.[/QUOTE

I love Dallin. Just think the balance of the team is better with DWZ at wing and Edwards at fullback. I won't be upset or bag the club for picking DWZ though like some decisions in the past.

mxlegend99

Referee
Dallin is a very, very good player, either at fullback or wing, great person, great club man I agree we should be proud of his achievements. All players make a mistake here and there. If you look hard enough you could find errors for all the top players but you have to focus on the good things that they do well 90 per cent of the time.
Hard to believe we could be looking at back to back Golden Boot winners from our club.

DWZ in 2018. Slim chance but amazing to be one at all.
Blake in 2019. Smashing try scoring records for Panthers, NSW and Australia will not go unnoticed.

Kilkenny

Coach
Hard to believe we could be looking at back to back Golden Boot winners from our club.

DWZ in 2018. Slim chance but amazing to be one at all.
Blake in 2019. Smashing try scoring records for Panthers, NSW and Australia will not go unnoticed.

Well be well placed if Waqa breaks Rhys Wessers most number of tries for the Panthers in a season.

Big Mick

Referee
I can see DWZ moving to centre at some point in the future.

I love what he's done for the Kiwis and was good for us this year - particularly at fullback.

It's a tough choice. DWZ has the speed and attacking ability over Edwards...but Edwards is safer and has more playmaking ability.

Could do what Sharks did in 2016 with Holmes and Gordon and rotate both at FB/Wing to keep both fresh.

unKwn

Juniors
I can see DWZ moving to centre at some point in the future.

I love what he's done for the Kiwis and was good for us this year - particularly at fullback.

It's a tough choice. DWZ has the speed and attacking ability over Edwards...but Edwards is safer and has more playmaking ability.

Could do what Sharks did in 2016 with Holmes and Gordon and rotate both at FB/Wing to keep both fresh.
I think you mean holmes and Barba.

TheFrog

Coach

The Golden Boot is an award for the best player of the year in international matches (the year being December to early November). Tedesco should have won the Wally Lewis medal and played well for the Roosters especially post-Origin but those games don't count. In matches that count towards this award he had one poor game and one good game, the good game against a second tier side. I'm surprised he has remained in contention, it would only be due to Aussie journos, and it would be quite undeserved if he were to win it. Worse than Slater getting the Wally Lewis medal.

I don't think it'll be Dallin either, it'll be one of the Poms.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors

It's only international games that count.

Abacus

Juniors
Those are both examples of him being in the same post code though. Although the penalty try decision was ajoke. It should have been a penalty. Not a penalty try.

There are examples of every fullback in the game being out of position or beaten when making the tackle. If you want to blame a fullback for not stopping tries on the wing (as Abacus seemed to be doing by saying Dallin was not in the same post code) then literally every try scored is an example of one or the other.

Weve had our blokes make other fullbacks look foolish too. Quality players like Holmes, RTS, Tedesco etc.

When youre looking for flaws in players they're easy to find. Doesnt mean that player is the only one with them.
As usual you take a relevant observation into the realm of lunacy. Nobody said DWZ or any other FB should be stopping tries on the wing. You'd like to think though that your FB would show similar urgency in defence as he does in attack.

Dallin IMO is 1-sided player - focused on attack. This is a liability at FB given the role they have in organising the defensive line and covering.

You've mentioned Edwards from the 1st game against the Eels. I suggest you watch subsequent games and see the level of improvement.

mxlegend99

Referee
As usual you take a relevant observation into the realm of lunacy. Nobody said DWZ or any other FB should be stopping tries on the wing. You'd like to think though that your FB would show similar urgency in defence as he does in attack.

Dallin IMO is 1-sided player - focused on attack. This is a liability at FB given the role they have in organising the defensive line and covering.

You've mentioned Edwards from the 1st game against the Eels. I suggest you watch subsequent games and see the level of improvement.
Ok. His last game for us... well second last since he was injured against Bulldogs:
Screenshot_20181106-081049_Chrome.jpg
Sharms first try off a kick he didnt go close to reading or covering.

Screenshot_20181106-081242_Chrome.jpg sharks second try. Bust up the middle edwards is directly infront of the guy who busts the line and doesnt go close to even putting a finger on him.

Screenshot_20181106-081355_Chrome.jpg
Sharks linebreak. Edwards misses a tackle same as DWZ for NZ.

Screenshot_20181106-081441_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20181106-081451_Chrome.jpg
Another try off a kick. Edwards nowhere to be seen.

Both fullbacks posses the same flaw. So using it against one as if it's not an issue in the other is crazy.

Edit
Formatting on phone is difficult

Last edited:

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Ok. His last game for us... well second last since he was injured against Bulldogs:
View attachment 24742

View attachment 24743 sharks second try. Bust up the middle edwards is directly infront of the guy who busts the line and doesnt go close to even putting a finger on him.

View attachment 24744

View attachment 24745
View attachment 24746

Both fullbacks posses the same flaw. So using it against one as if it's not an issue in the other is crazy.

Edit

It’s very easy to point out the tries scored against us isn’t it.

Edwards is far and away our smartest FB, positionally he is almost always where he needs to be, I’d love a dollar for every time I’ve been watching a game and I’ve turned to a mate and said “God he’s good, always knows where to be”.

You need to watch full games, not just look at the tries scored against us. That’s a false representation of an overall performance.

Trying to argue that DWZ is a better FB is silly.

mxlegend99

Referee
For the record I think both players show great urgency in attack and defence. But they're both human and a fullback has a lot more scenarios to worry about which causes these things.

Im not bagging Edwards out. Nor do I have issue if he is our fullback for the next decade. If both players possess the same flaw there's really no point using it against the other.

I truly hope we can have the best of both worlds in 2019. I hope we come up with structures that work to the strengths of what we have. We can win a competition if we work to the players strengths rather then trying to force talented guys to fit into a generic structure.

Gus seems to be all about that brand of footy. Although Ivan has never really shown for extended periods of time he can coach like that. But his first time here he had an average roster, poor resources and Gus supposedly didnt want to give him additional help. Hopefully this time around that changes.

We need to be capable of playing tough grinding footy. Which Ivan is good at. But we need to have some tricks up our sleeve too.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
For the record I think both players show great urgency in attack and defence. But they're both human and a fullback has a lot more scenarios to worry about which causes these things.

Im not bagging Edwards out. Nor do I have issue if he is our fullback for the next decade. If both players possess the same flaw there's really no point using it against the other.

I truly hope we can have the best of both worlds in 2019. I hope we come up with structures that work to the strengths of what we have. We can win a competition if we work to the players strengths rather then trying to force talented guys to fit into a generic structure.

Gus seems to be all about that brand of footy. Although Ivan has never really shown for extended periods of time he can coach like that. But his first time here he had an average roster, poor resources and Gus supposedly didnt want to give him additional help. Hopefully this time around that changes.

We need to be capable of playing tough grinding footy. Which Ivan is good at. But we need to have some tricks up our sleeve too.

I disagree that either has a particular flaw. One is a very good FB the other is a very good back up.

Abacus

Juniors
View attachment 24742

View attachment 24743 sharks second try. Bust up the middle edwards is directly infront of the guy who busts the line and doesnt go close to even putting a finger on him.

View attachment 24744

View attachment 24745
View attachment 24746

Edit
Ok, I'll play (I'll probably regret it later though).

Sharks 1st try - Moylan 2 passes before the kick brings the ball back towards the posts, offloads then pass to Lewis to kick for the corner. Edwards where he should have been given Moylan's play.

Sharks 2nd try - as you say, Edwards in position. Wal then comes back in cover for Sorensen to step behind, effectively obstructing Edwards.

Sharks linebreak - Edwards actually tackles the player then Crichton tackles Lee to stop the play. Not sure how this counts against Edwards?

Final Sharks try - Edwards is open-side opposite Sharks halves. Seg goes short-side with a grubber. Are you suggesting Edwards should have been short-side?

We all understand your love for DWZ (apparently 2nd only to your feelings for God-Waqa) but his defensive effort at FB is lacking (which you acknowledge) and your points above are flawed. I could see him making a fairly lethal right centre though.

mxlegend99

Referee
Ok, I'll play (I'll probably regret it later though).

Sharks 1st try - Moylan 2 passes before the kick brings the ball back towards the posts, offloads then pass to Lewis to kick for the corner. Edwards where he should have been given Moylan's play.

Sharks 2nd try - as you say, Edwards in position. Wal then comes back in cover for Sorensen to step behind, effectively obstructing Edwards.

Sharks linebreak - Edwards actually tackles the player then Crichton tackles Lee to stop the play. Not sure how this counts against Edwards?

Final Sharks try - Edwards is open-side opposite Sharks halves. Seg goes short-side with a grubber. Are you suggesting Edwards should have been short-side?

We all understand your love for DWZ (apparently 2nd only to your feelings for God-Waqa) but his defensive effort at FB is lacking (which you acknowledge) and your points above are flawed. I could see him making a fairly lethal right centre though.
My love gor DWZ doesnt have me bagging Edwards out for one thing and creating excuses for the other guy doing the exact same thing. I only bring Edwards doing this up as proof it's an issue both players share and therefore ridiculous to use it against DWZ.

They both get caught out atfullback. You slam one guy for it and make excuses for the other. While every single time s player is caught out there's going to be a reason behind it. Players are trying to anticipate what will happen. So they will get it wrong.

The double standards are ridiculous. Just about every game Edwards has been guilty of the same things DWZ was. If that was DWZ above you would be bagging him for it, not trying to find reasons behind it.

And it's Waqa the Wonderful. God is looking at naming himself after Waqa to get atheists on board. A god they can see is what religion needed.

Latest posts