What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels dump Ray Price

innsaneink

Referee
Eels dump Ray Price

By Nick Walshaw
December 07, 2007 12:00am

THEY called him Mr Perpetual Motion - but Parramatta hero Ray Price has finally been floored by the ultimate insult.
In an exclusive interview with The Daily Telegraph, Price has slammed the Eels for stripping his name from the main lounge bar at Parramatta Stadium.
In a letter received from the Stadium Trust last week, the Eels legend was told his room had been renamed the Cumberland Lounge for "business strategy" reasons.
The snubbing means there is now not one public facility - grandstand, terrace, lounge or bar - named after the only man to play in all seven Parramatta grand finals.
How do you feel about how Ray Price has been treated? Vote in our poll (below right) and go the 'Have your Say' box below and let us know:
"Mate, the whole thing is pathetic, sickens me," Price fired yesterday.
"I mean, why give me something if you're only going to take it away again?
"And then to come up with some excuse about it being for a business strategy or something. Is my name really that f...... bad?"
Despite being arguably the greatest Parramatta player ever, Price has never received the same honours as fellow champions Ken Thornett, Michael Cronin, Peter Sterling or Brett Kenny.
And the Budgewoi carpenter fears this latest insult is the result of his ongoing feud with Eels boss Denis Fitzgerald - himself one of seven Trust board members.
"There's definitely a stench to it," Price conceded.
"I mean, first they took down the (Ray Price Lounge) sign for a couple of years. I know that because I went in there and the bloody thing was gone.
"Even when I received life membership they gave me grandstand tickets on halfway, but do you know where they are now? They're down behind the dead ball line.
"So what can you say? Do they really want me gone that bad?"
Defending the board's decision, Fitzgerald last night said the lounge was hired out "100 times a year" for weddings, seminars and corporate functions.
"So it's not just a football room," he said.
Eels chairman Alan Overton agreed the renamed room would be "easier to hire out" while venue manager Luke Coleman described the decision as "unanimous".
As a trade-off, Price's name will now be attached to a smaller suite in the corporate bleachers - a decision already angering club supporters.
"Because Pricey is a hero to the battlers, not the suits," Joe Saad, a fan for 30 years, spat. "But they'll probably take that too . . . eventually just name a chair after him."
Asked if he feared his footprint being removed from the club completely, Price added: "That's probably their aim, yeah.
"But to be honest, I don't give a s... about the officials. The only people I care about these days are the fans.
"And I still have my achievements. That and all the great memories . . . mate, they can't take that away from me."

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22883358-5001023,00.html

[-X
They seem to have their priorities slightly askew.

They'll slap a drunken repeat offending Tim Smith on the wrist.

Yet they treat their legends like dirt.

Good form Parra

Skinner

Coach
The good ol' guys in the Parra forum reckon it's a beat up, but I reckon it's bloody
sad.

Pricey is a legend and he was a hero on the paddock. Parra seem to have a particularly
nasty habit of crapping on their former greats.

By all means, move forward, but not at the expense of your heritage.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Skinner said:
The good ol' guys in the Parra forum reckon it's a beat up, but I reckon it's bloody
sad.

Pricey is a legend and he was a hero on the paddock. Parra seem to have a particularly
nasty habit of crapping on their former greats.

By all means, move forward, but not at the expense of your heritage.

he was just on radio 2ue (sydney) and sounded very upset.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
innsaneink said:
[-X
They seem to have their priorities slightly askew.

They'll slap a drunken repeat offending Tim Smith on the wrist.

Yet they treat their legends like dirt.

Good form Parra

fitzy willprobably rename it the Tim Smith lounge

Bazal

Post Whore
It's not the greatest thing to do. Pricey pissed Fitzy off IMO....and while Fitzy is a very good CEO he can be very foolish. Pricey may not be the most supportive Eels great going around but he's still one of our greats and should be treated as such

beave

Coach
F$@#ing atrocious form Parra. Every year Fitzgerald just goes that one step into eternal "Assclown" status.

Im not a fan of Paramatta,but I respect Ray Price as a Paramatta great and legend.He deserves better.Time for the Paramatta club to punt Fitzgerald.

bulldog

Bench
Bazal said:
It's not the greatest thing to do. Pricey pissed Fitzy off IMO....and while Fitzy is a very good CEO he can be very foolish. Pricey may not be the most supportive Eels great going around but he's still one of our greats and should be treated as such

How many are though? It seems the suits sh*t on the fans heroes pretty regularly out Parra way, it's a shame so many great names can't be embraced by the club like they are by the fans.

mightybears

Bench
if the man had played for norths like his dad [and test playing uncle] this never would have happened!

sad-lack of respect-when is fitzgerald going anyway?

Ryan

Juniors
Ray Price is the Steve Menzies of Manly. I don't care what club you support, I mean, I support Manly, & I STILL rate Price as one of the best ever. An absolute valued servent to The Parramatta cause.

Fitzgerald should be instantly stood down !!

Azkatro

First Grade
Sounds pretty ordinary. I mean unless there were 10 Eels legends that had come through the ranks and achieved even more than he did you could start justifying him being pushed to the side but this is obviously crazy.

named after the only man to play in all seven Parramatta grand finals

I would like to know how and where the board would come up with the research/figures that show the "Cumberland Lounge" will bring in more punters than the "Ray Price Lounge" Did Fitzgerald overseer the research?

Eelementary

Post Whore
mightybears said:
if the man had played for norths like his dad [and test playing uncle] this never would have happened!

sad-lack of respect-when is fitzgerald going anyway?

Unfortunately, not soon enough.

IanG

Coach
Perhaps Eels supporters and members should call for Fitzy's head on a silver platter. Disgraceful performance.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Named after the only man to play ni all seven Parra gf's.... ?

What's that in reference to ?

Which Eel played in both the 1981 and 2001 grand finals ?

Hanscholo

Bench
Ray Price is a dick head imo, and has done nothing but criticise and stir up sh*t in that club since he left. Im not suprised in the least.

dubby

Bench
This is a petty attempt to remove Price as far from the club as possible. He has not been afraid in the past to come out and speak his mind about the club and people who run it.

So to see these same clowns do this reeks of nothing but arrogance, petulance and sheer immaturity. Someone should take out Denis Fitzgerald and put him to pasture. The guy has no respect or class.

For shame Parra; selling out a bloke who played with passion, guts and spilled his blood for your team for many years. And for what? Marketing purposes.

What a load of horse sh*t. If anyone believes that, then they are even more stupid than Fitzy for thinking of it in the first place.

Latest posts