What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the ESL aka The HKR Progress Thread...

Parra Guru

Coach
Eela suggested that we keep up with the progress of Hull KR, who have just won a spot in the ESL for next season under former Eels Justin Morgan (coach) and James Webster (captain).

I think it's a good idea, so I have created this thread for all Hull KR news.

MORGAN TARGETS TWELVE SIGNINGS
Justin Morgan expects to make up to 12 signings before he starts his reign as the youngest coach in Super League next season.
After leading Rovers to Super League with a thrilling National League One Grand Final win over Widnes, Morgan is already planning for the big time.
Top of the list are the remaining players in the squad who have yet to sign a new deal and Morgan expects the dealing to start straight away.
"There are about 10 or 12 signings that we need to get done," said Morgan.
"We went with 23 players this season and there are a few guys going to move one way or the other. We're 60 per cent of the way through our planning for next season.
"There are a couple of players in our squad we want to sign and if their heads are clear we'll open negotiations today.
"We have put the feelers out on a few possible targets and hopefully we'll have a few announcements this week. Behind the scenes there is still a lot of work to do."
Morgan expects the realisation of his achievements to sink in today when he returns to work.
Even with promotion secured, the dedicated coach would not afford himself a day off to reflect.
"It'll sink in today when I go to work when I start planning for next season.
"There's a lot of work to be done and while I'm proud of our efforts this year, another door has now opened and there's a thousand things that I'll have to stress about.
"There will be a recruitment drive although we started that earlier this year when we signed players we thought could handle playing in the Super League.
"Only time will tell if they will be up to that challenge.
"I can't wait to see Makali Aizue, Scott Murrell and Ben Cockayne etc taking on their counterparts in the Super League next season. They will relish the big stage."

hull_mail_fp.gif

hull_mail_bp.gif

http://www.thisishull.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=197370&command=displayContent&sourceNode=197368&home=yes&sports=yes&more_nodeId2=136253&contentPK=15631415

Parra Guru

Coach
ROBINS PLAN TRIPLE MOVE

Hull Kr are on the verge of a triple swoop as they form their survival plan for their first season in Super League.

Rovers are interested in signing Parramatta prop Fuifui Moi Moi, Castleford's Ryan McGoldrick and Leeds Rhinos Mark O'Neill with chief executive Paul Lakin admitting the trio are on a shopping list of 16 players.

But only two of the three can be signed with club skipper James Webster already filling one of the three overseas slots.

The Mail understands the third signing could be an un-named Super League player.

Lakin is hoping to complete several signings by next week as Justin Morgan targets as many as 10 players.

O'Neill is now a free agent after an injury-hit first season at Headingley where he only played four times for the Rhinos since his move from West Tigers.

During his stint with Wests the second-row forward captained them to Grand Final glory.

"We have not done deals with any player yet," Lakin told the Mail. "We're going to be linked with a lot of players over the next few days and weeks. The players mentioned are on a list of about 16 players that Justin has enquired about. Mark is available as he is a free agent and he could be a possibility."

O'Neill broke his leg before the start of the season and made just four appearances for the Rhinos.

Centre McGoldrick was a key player for Cas and played in the relegation decider against Wakefield that the Tigers lost 29-17. In 18 appearances for Castleford, he crossed for five tries and scored eight goals.

With all the other Super League sides having filled their quota spots, Rovers appears to be the perfect destination for McGoldrick.

Moi Moi has made 23 appearances for Parramatta, scoring five tries, and was suspended for seven weeks after being sent off for a high tackle in June.

http://www.thisishullandeastriding....tentPK=15638585&folderPk=79770&pNodeId=136351

Parra Guru

Coach
They won't get Fui.

But geez, Mark O'Neill?!!! I bet they wish they knew about their promotion earlier.

Timmo would have been a good buy.

bartman

Immortal
It was a pleasure to be able to see the highlights of Hull KR's game on Sunday evening TV over here. I feel so good for Jimmy Webster and Justin Morgan, but next year will be a huge challenge for the club, as the promoted team faces systematic disadvatages being weeks/months behind in the recruitment market.

The Hull Derby (Hull FC v Hull KR) at Superleague level will be huge for the city. Generally speaking FC is West Hull and KR are East Hull, so there are natural regional battlelines there. I hope they go well, but as with Castleford it's a huge task to get promoted and stay up these days. I just hope they make a good fist of it and don't lose too much money as a club in the process.

wouldn't fuifui be off quota, maybe thats why hes playing for tonga.

awen guttenbiel would be off quota and is likely to be chased as well

Parra Guru

Coach
Dreams Can Come True!

The Rovers have done it! They have won the National League Grand Final and have finally crossed over into the Promised Land!

Despite being the best team in the league many were still very shocked at the win.

Today as the champagne celebrations have settled down - just a bit, the reality is starting to sink in for the fans, the players and even the coach.

Justin Morgan, who is now the youngest coach in Super League, has hit the ground running today.

“Yesterday was just a magnificent day. I am so proud of my boys. Each and every one of the squad deserve this win as it’s what we’ve been working really hard towards since last November. It’s something that we sat down and planned out way back in January when we were in camp in Wales. I commend the boys for remaining focused and never losing the faith that they could do it!

“I enjoyed a drink or two with them and the fans back in Hull when the bus returned. And I must admit that I was blown away at the number of fans showing their appreciation.

“Let me say to them; this win is for all you. I know I’ve said it before but we are grateful for their support, they have been our 18th man all season long and they’ve been absolutely fantastic.

“I’ve never experienced anything like last night before. The fans here are so emotional. I was shocked to see them lining the streets as we drove back into the city and cheer the bus on as it appeared. It was phenomenal. I just can’t imagine what it will be like next Sunday when we take to the streets of East Hull!” Morgan exclaims.

Today is a day of rejoicing for the players and their efforts. They will be letting their hair down and living it up and deservedly so after their fantastic season. They will go away and have a break from the daily grind of training and slowly the reality will set in. And they’ll come back beaming and refreshed and chomping at the bit to get out there and play Super League.

This team of Robins and their young Aussie coach have made the history books and capped off a truly brilliant season. What lies ahead of them is something the players still cannot comprehend. Some were rendered speechless after the win and after a few more pints of lager today the actuality still would not have settled in. It will take days for the realisation to hit of the enormity of exactly what they have achieved.

And for the Coach, well it’s now a crucial time for the Club. This morning he too was still a bit shell shocked at the immense accomplishment. It will be something that will take a little bit of getting used to for all involved with the Club.

Morgan, Paul Lakin and Neil Hudgell have mapped out various platforms and criteria that need to be checked off and completed fairly quickly to get the Club into the best possible shape as soon as possible, so they will be competitive on all levels across the park in their inaugural Super League season.

That is this week’s objective, once all the excitement simmers!

http://www.hullkr.co.uk/indexafter.php

Stagger eel

Staff member
OMG!!! PG...you've really picked this up and ran with it haven't you??? :lol: :D

you and Morgs go way back hey??? ;-)

Perth Red

Post Whore
You've lured one!

Will be happy to add updates if you would like.I've been a red and white for 26years, been through the good times and the bad. Sunday 4am I was very drunk running around the house!

Parra Guru

Coach
Awesome that'd be really good. Bookmark this thread, some of us would be interested to follow their progress.

Thanks heaps!

Parra Guru

Coach
Hull KR - back in the top flight.

ROVERS' RETURN AN INSPIRATION
By Ian Laybourn, PA Sport Rugby League Correspondent

The return of Hull Kingston Rovers to the top flight should provide encouragement to clubs currently experiencing lean times.

It is just five years since Rovers were on the brink of financial disaster and when Super League dawned in 1996, one of rugby league's most famous clubs found themselves in the third tier.

Their climb back to respectability has been a long and arduous one, made more painful by the success of neighbours and arch rivals Hull FC, who went up into Super League in 1998 and have not looked back since.

Once-proud clubs can easily become forgotten in the all-consuming Super League.

Youngsters only recently drawn to the summer game might take some convincing that Featherstone, now languishing in National League Two, were Challenge Cup winners in 1983 or that Halifax did the double in the 1980s.

Similarly, Hull KR won consecutive championships from 1983-85 and in the early 1980s enjoyed average crowds of just short of 9,000, a figure bettered only by their neighbours from across the west of the city.

In the east side of Hull they fondly remember the all-Humberside Cup final of 1980 and still have the "10-5 bar" to remind them of the scoreline that famous day at Wembley when some wit left a sign on the motorway urging "the last one out of the city to turn off the light".

Victory for the Black and Whites over St Helens in Saturday's Super League Grand Final would persuade many that east Yorkshire is once more the rugby league capital of England.

Rovers' return is to be welcomed yet, had the Super League pioneers got their way, the only Hull club in the top flight would have been a merged one, an unthinkable prospect that was quickly dismissed.

Whether they can stay up is another matter altogether but the Robins will undoubtedly enjoy what promises to be a rollercoaster ride.

They will quickly discover how times have changed both on and off the field as they seek to bridge the chasm that has grown between Super League and the rest of the game.

Although they moved grounds at the end of the 1990s, Craven Park has already become outdated and the club are considering moving yet again.

In the meantime, they will be ready to post the "full house" signs at many of their matches, with a ground capacity of just over 8,000 which falls below this year's Super League average.

It cannot be long before the suggestion is made that Rovers switch their high-profile fixtures to the KC Stadium, a move that would no doubt enrage the die-hard Robins fans.

Interestingly, Hull KR are aiming to use Warrington as their Super League role model, whose progress off the field was recognised when they were named club of the year at this week's Man of Steel awards dinner.

The Wolves are a dynamic club who immerse themselves into the community, taking advantage of the absence of a soccer team in the town, and they demonstrated excellent initiative in taking 5,000 fans to Bradford for their recent play-off match.

Warrington are, of course, benefiting from a new stadium, a factor which no doubt Hull KR have already taken on board.

East Hull Lad

Juniors
O'rite there!

Good to see you taking a interest in Rovers. Obviously with Webbo and Morgs coming from Parra, we take an interest in the Eels. Webbo has been fantastic, he is now married and has settled in excellently over the past 18 months/2 years or so. Morgan has brought a very professional look to Rovers, has got his hands dirty, and achieved what he promised the fans.

It is becoming apparent that Fui Fui Moi Moi is a target according to our local paper. I've seen some video's on YouTube and if we are successful, then SL better be scared because that bloke is a monster!

Anyways, i'll stick around, and hopefully have a natter with some of you!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
welcome mate

you got buckleys chance of getting Fui next year, he's still under contract

at least you've got good taste in props

good luck with Hull KR

Parra Guru

Coach
FFS!!!! :fist:

O'NEILL WILL SIGN UP FOR ROVERS NEXT WEEK

09:10 - 14 October 2006
Mark O'Neill's agent hopes to tie up a one-year deal with Hull KR in the early stages of next week.

Sam Ayoub of Ultra Sports Management told the Mail talks have been going well with the Super League new boys since their promotion last Sunday.

O'Neill, 31, is hoping to put an injury-plagued 2006 season behind him. The second rower joined Leeds after captaining Wests Tigers to their Grand Final win over North Queensland Cowboys in 2005.

A string of injuries limited his appearances for the Rhinos and he was released after his contract expired a couple of weeks ago.

Ayoub said: "A move to Hull KR looks likely. We're pretty much comfortable with negotiations and the terms and where they are at.

"We only had discussions with one other club but I'm pretty comfortable that we'll get something resolved with Hull KR.

"Mark's still only 31 and has plenty of footie left in him."

Ayoub is confident that his player can return to the form that led to his move to Headingley last season.

"Last season was an unfortunate season for him with injuries and he didn't want to finish on that note.

"We're looking at a one-year deal at this stage and then we'll see how it goes. He broke a bone in his arm, then he had a shoulder injury and then a hamstring injury.

"It seemed the more he tried, the more things went wrong. It's been a frustrating time this season and he's looking forward to a fresh start."

And Ayoub believes O'Neill will bring experience to KR.

"Mark is a very experienced and competitive campaigner. He's a real professional with genuine experience. He's a second row forward who has also played at prop."

http://www.thisishullandeastriding....tentPK=15674869&folderPk=79770&pNodeId=136351

bartman

Immortal
Hull KR will need all the help and depth they can get, to try and stay up and avoid relegation next season. O'Neill will be handy to have around, given that some players on their hit list like Fui seem to be under contract and would require releases.

Saw some great footage of the HKR grand final, interviews and in the sheds with Morgs and Webster on a BBC late night documentary show called Rugby League Raw. I'll see if I can hunt it down on the web for people if they're interested, there's a bit of swearing though....

Latest posts