What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the ESL aka The HKR Progress Thread...

bartman

Immortal
:lol: I think he had a couple of games in 1995, the year we won three games in a 20 team comp.

HevyDevy

Coach
bartman said:
:lol: I think he had a couple of games in 1995, the year we won three games in a 20 team comp.

Yep, Dean Sampson and Vince Fawcett.

Fawcett scored two tries the night Parra beat the Dogs when David Woods carved them up!

TheGame

Juniors
Just to keep you all updated :)

2 Major signings made in the last 2 days. One of which im sure you all already know.

Hull KR have completed the signing of Parramatta Eels prop Michael Vella on a three year deal.

The 28-year-old prop will become Rovers' third quota player alongside James Webster and Mark O'Neill.

Rovers chief executive Paul Lakin said it was a major coup for the club.

"This is a huge signing for Rovers as Michael is in the prime of his career," said Lakin.

"He is widely regarded as one of the best props in the NRL and to secure him on a three year deal shows the ambition of the club.

"Michael is a real leader who leads from the front line."

- Link for Above ^
http://www.thisishull.co.uk/display...yContent&sourceNode=136236&contentPK=15811015

New Hull KR signing Michael Vella believes a top six finish is not beyond his new team next season.

Vella signed a three year Super League contract today after turning down the final year of his contract at Parramatta Eels.

The 28-year-old prop brings vast experience to Craven Park having worn the green and gold jersey eight times, including five Tests.

His signing is seen by many as being Rovers' biggest in the last 15 years and that sits comfortably with Vella.

"That's a big rap for me and it's an honour to be called that," Vella told the Mail from Australia.

"Hull KR has a lot of heritage and the city is a real football town.

"I'm going to give it my all and play some good football.

"It's going to be a great challenge for me."

Vella knows survival is the number one goal, but he believes there is enough quality in the Rovers side to make the play-offs in their first Super League season.

Vella met up with good friend James Webster last week in Australia with the Rovers captain telling him all about the club.

In fact, Webster was instrumental in bringing Vella to Craven Park.

"James influenced my move to Rovers," said Vella.

"I've know him for four years or so when he too was at Parramatta.

"We've been emailing each other all year and he's been asking me if I'd be interested in coming over.

"I wasn't too sure if I was ready, but when they won the Grand Final and the opportunity came about, I said to my manager that I was keen to go.

"From what I've been told by James, it's a pretty good side.

"They had to win the competition this year.

"I think we have a great side especially with the signing of Mark O'Neill.

"He's a very experienced and strong player. The club managed to keep the core that won promotion last year.

"We'll have a good crack at it next year. I think we have a chance to make the play-offs next season and that has to be our goal."

Vella will team up with another former Parramatta mate Justin Morgan and is excited about Rovers' first season in the Super League.

Having been approached by Morgan, the decision for Vella was an easy one to make.

"It was a very good opportunity to come over to England," said Vella, who represented New South Wales in 10 State of Origin games.

"I've had a great time at Parramatta since coming through as a local junior. It's a chance to come over and see a different part of the world. It was the right time to leave Parramatta because you never know what could happen next year.

"An opportunity to play in England might not have come my way."

SEASON passes go on sale tomorrow (9am) for current pass holders.

Passes go on general sale from November 8 and can be bought from the club shops at Craven Park and Holderness Road.

- Link for Above ^
http://www.thisishull.co.uk/display...tentPK=15811014&folderPk=79655&pNodeId=136259

Hull Kr legend Phil Lowe believes Michael Vella is the biggest name to arrive at Craven Park since David Bishop in 1990.

Lowe, now a director at the club, is excited by Vella's arrival.

Now, he hopes Robins supporters will be talking about the Australian in years to come - just as David Bishop's name still gets mentioned today.

Lowe was a powerful second row for the Robins in the 1960s and he believes games are won or lost in the pack.

With Vella's arrival, he feels Rovers stand a better chance of success next season and he expects fans to be as excited by Vella now as they were when Bishop signed.

"I think it's very true to say that he's the biggest name to join Rovers since David Bishop in 1990," said Lowe, who also spent three seasons with Manly in Australia.

"I think Vella has had as much experience under his belt as any player we have signed in the last 15 years.

"Michael leads by example and that is what we are going to need next season in Super League. We have a lot of willing horses and they need direction. Bishop was a very explosive half-back, who played more like a loose-forward.

"Signing him had a tremendous impact on the club. We didn't know how he would cope coming from rugby union in Wales, but he crossed over excellently.

"I think Vella will have more influence on the side than Bishop did.

"David was a good individual player whereas Vella will improve the pack as a whole."

Attracting a player of Vella's calibre indicates Rovers' ambitions and Lowe believes that other big names could now follow.

He said: "Now that Rovers have attracted a big name like Vella, it can only attract other big players.

"Vella has played in plenty of tough games throughout his career and I think we're going to need that toughness in the pack this season.

"I believe that in the modern game, the forwards win the game and the backs determine by how many.

"We need a good set of forwards. The forwards have to get on top. We have some good forwards and all Michael Vella is doing is improving them."

- Link for Above ^
http://www.thisishull.co.uk/display...tentPK=15815720&folderPk=79655&pNodeId=136259

Michael Vella says it will be a dream come true to play in the Super League after signing for ambitious Super League newcomers Hull KR.

As exclusively revealed on www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk yesterday, Vella has now penned a three-year deal at Craven Park.

Now, the 28-year-old prop is expecting the new few weeks to be pretty hectic as he prepares to leave Australia and head to the UK.

Vella and his partner, Rebecca, will leave the Aussie summer for the bleak British winter, but the former Test star hopes there will be a warm welcome waiting for him in east Hull.

He told the Mail: "I'm not looking forward to the cold weather. I've never seen snow, though, so I'm hoping for a white Christmas. That would be nice.

"We've just come back from a holiday in Cairns. It's going to be a big change for myself and Rebecca.

"We are expecting our first kid in May so it's a big step for both of us."

Vella has become Rovers' third signing of the close season after the capture of fellow Aussies Mark O'Neill and Jim Gannon last month.

He certainly has an impressive CV, with five Test appearances and three World Cup outings under his belt - including a clash against Russia at the Boulevard.

Throw in 10 State of Origin games for New South Wales and it's easy to see Rovers have signed a player with plenty of experience.

But Vella feels he still has plenty to offer and even with another 12 months remaining on his contract at Parramatta Eels, he felt it was the right time for a change.

Vella explained: "The last time I was here was in 2001 and I always thought I'd like to end up playing in England at some stage in my career.

"It's going to be a hectic time over the next four weeks. I'll be doing some training and looking to find somebody to move into my place here in Australia. "

Vella will begin his Rovers career as a quota player, but that will change as soon as he gets his Maltese passport, which would in turn allow the Robins to sign another quota player.

Unfortunately, the Maltese aren't known for dealing with such matters in a short space of time.

"I sent off my application about five or six months ago. It's not going too quickly at the moment, and it could take between six months and two years," said Vella.

"As soon as I get it, I will no longer be a quota player. That will be good for the club in that they will be able to sign another quota player. They are in the process of changing the rules in Malta to allow third generations to get their passports.

"That's how I qualify because my father was born in Australia.

"If that changes, it will speed up my application."

- Link for Above ^
http://www.thisishull.co.uk/display...tentPK=15815717&folderPk=79655&pNodeId=136259

Stanley Gene has signed a two-year deal with Super League new boys Hull KR.

The 32-year-old spent four successful seasons from 1996 to 2000 before leaving Craven Park.

During that time, he became a fans' favourite scoring 94 tries in 111 matches.

He went on to play in the Super League for Hull FC and Huddersfield before Brian Noble signed him for Bradford.

Last week Gene expressed his desire to return and after negotiating his release from his Bulls contract, which had a year left to run, he signed for Rovers.

Gene can play stand-off, hooker or loose forward and will offer Rovers coach Justin Morgan plenty of options.

Rovers chairman Neil Hudgell said: "We are delighted to have Stanley back at the club."

- Link for Above ^
http://www.thisishull.co.uk/display...tentPK=15819750&folderPk=79655&pNodeId=136259

Perry Haddock

Juniors
Just because Justin Morgan turned up to a silly 16 year old girls birthday party in 1999 at Northmead doesn't make him a good coach.... what the hell is with the whole Hull Rocks movement taking place???

I've been to Hull and it sucks.......funny enough when I went there they had the worlds biggest nobody "Graham McKay" playing for them.......

bartman

Immortal
I've been to Hull a few times Perry, and didn't think it deserved the title of worst place to live in the UK - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3158298.stm (London gets that for me, horrible place to spend more than a few weeks in.)

It's an port-side town, I found the people approachable and friendly, and yeah there's a lot of "social housing" there, but we're talking Parramatta fans here. If we thought poorer areas or government housing made a place crap, we might not have grown up and continued as Eels fans.

Throw in the Parra connection at Hull KR, and the underdog status and I can see why people are interested and getting behind it. Why not?

Perry Haddock

Juniors
Yeah its just that I know this wierdo who pratically stalks Justin Morgan thats all, Hull is ok really, and yes London is pretty average if you like paying less that $5000 for a beer.

Perry Haddock

Juniors
That evil looking laughie face is just the kind of thing thats going to get an AVO put out on you. Remember when Justin Morgan scored two tries Vs Wests in 1998 or whenever it was??? that was arguably the greatest day of my life....

bartman

Immortal
Perry Haddock said:
Yeah its just that I know this wierdo who pratically stalks Justin Morgan thats all, Hull is ok really, and yes London is pretty average if you like paying less that $5000 for a beer.
:lol:

TheGame

Juniors
Just a progress report, if anyones intrested that is :sarcasm:.

- Weve signed GB international Danny Ward on a 1 year deal
- Weve re-signed Jon Steel
- Weve signed up Matty Brooks and Dave Wilson on 1 year deals
- Weve a new temporary stand going into place very soon
- Season tickets went on sale and are going nicely
- Were looking to sign Hull FC Second Rower - Chris Chester
- Justin Morgan also has said he is in the market for a Centre, Winger, Fullback and utility back who are all none quote plus another Second Rower
- Hes also stated that Webster will be captain next season

Not sure ive anymore news for you guys, im sure im missed something though.

Parra Guru

Coach
Morgs can play second row. He used to play a bit of it for Parra, then some kid named Hindmarsh came along and took his spot. :(

robcrossland

Juniors
ASSISTANT COACH HAS HIGH HOPES
Hull Kingston Rovers new assistant coach Mark Barnes starts work at Craven Park tomorrow with only one thing on his mind. “I’ve come from a Super League club in Harlequins and I want to make sure that my new club stays in the Super League” the ex Aussie NRL players says.

He played for Paramatta and Sydney City Roosters before graduating as a P E teacher back home in Australia but the lure of rugby league proved too much and he got back into things when he became the Community Coach for the London based side in 2005.

After a year on the senior coaching staff at the Stoop, Barnes steps up to become an assistant coach for the first time and he’s keen to get to work. He says: “I’ve already been house hunting up here in Hull and Wednesday sees me up here for good and ready for work. I can’t wait.”
He joins the Robins as assistant to Justin Morgan and fills the void left by the departure of Dean Sampson midway through last season and Rovers head coach commented:
“Mark’s a top bloke and I know him from my days at Parramatta. He’s a committed type of fella and will be a good addition to our staff.”

From http://www.hullkr.co.uk/archive_news.php?ID=548

HevyDevy

Coach
Parra Guru said:
Morgs can play second row. He used to play a bit of it for Parra, then some kid named Hindmarsh came along and took his spot. :(

Actually it all went downhill in 1999 when Morgs did his his knee at WIN Stadium. Never fully recovered from that.

Parra Guru

Coach
shhhhh it was Hindy's fault :lol:

Yeah I know, his bloody knees were always trouble.... he did the good one just after he'd recovered from everything else

TheGame

Juniors
Hull Kr have signed Luke Dyer from Castleford.

The 25-year-old can play either centre or on the wing and will provide cover for the Robins in their backs.

It's expected Rovers will play him primarily on the wing.

The former Penrith Panther is the club's sixth signing of the close season and the first back signed.

He is also a British passport holder and therefore comes to Craven Park as a non-quota player.

Coach Morgan said: "Luke will be a solid addition to our Super League squad and everything I've seen and heard about him means he's more than equipped to fit into our plans. He will strengthen our squad within the backs and add a real quality to the squad."

^ http://www.thisishull.co.uk/display...tentPK=15972060&folderPk=79655&pNodeId=136259

New Hull KR signing Luke Dyer would not hesitate to stay at Craven Park longer than his initial one-year contract.

The 25-year-old played for Castleford last season in their unsuccessful attempt to fight off relegation, but the versatile player missed 12 weeks with a pectoral injury.

Dyer hopes the same fate doesn't fall on his new club and hinted that he could stay at Craven Park for longer if the club do well in their debut Super League campaign.

The former Penrith Panther becomes the first back signed by coach Justin Morgan during the close season after adding five forwards to his pack, as reported on www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk yesterday.

Dyer qualifies for a British passport through his Devon-born mother, and after holding initial talks with Morgan he had no hesitation in signing for the Robins.

Dyer told the Mail: "I came back from Australia on Saturday and went straight in to talks with Justin on Monday.

"I liked what he had to say. It's good to have your future sorted out.

"I'd definitely stay on in Hull if things go well next season.

"I've heard a lot of good things about Hull and I can't wait to be part of Hull KR's first season back in the big time."

Dyer, who is now looking for a house in Hull with his fiance Sarah, will be re-united with team-mate Danny Ward and conditioner Tony O'Brien, who he knows from his time at the Tigers.

In fact, O'Brien's move to the Robins was one of the reasons why he has followed him to east Hull.

Dyer added: "Tony is a first class trainer and you learn a lot from him. I can't wait to join up with him again.

"Danny's also a great bloke and a great player."

As an aspiring youngster, Dyer watched Morgan as a player in the NRL.

Although he had never met him, he knew who he was and now he's relishing the chance to play under his coaching.

Dyer, who prefers to play on the wing, is determined not to go through the emotional turmoil he went through last term when Castleford were sent through the relegation trap door by Wakefield on the final day of the season.

Almost six weeks later, Dyer admits it still hurts.

"Relegation is terrible and I wouldn't wish it on anybody," he said. "You feel for the fans more than anything and I just had to get away from the city.

"Hopefully we won't even have to think about relegation next season.

"Relegation with Castleford still hurts now. I don't think you can ever get over it."

Morgan hopes his new signing will provide his side with some much-needed experience and strength.

He said: "Luke will be a solid addition to our Super League squad and everything I've seen and heard about him means he's more than equipped to fit into our plans.

"He will strengthen our backs and add real quality to the squad."

Signings so far: Mark O'Neill (31, second row, Leeds Rhinos); Jim Gannon (29, prop, Huddersfield Giants); Mick Vella (28, prop, Parramatta Eels); Stanley Gene (32, utility, Bradford Bulls); Danny Ward (26, prop, Castleford Tigers); Luke Dyer (25, winger, Castleford Tigers).

^ http://www.thisishull.co.uk/display...tentPK=15973254&folderPk=79655&pNodeId=136259

Latest posts