What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the ESL aka The HKR Progress Thread...

bartman

Immortal
Rugby League Raw - BBC One Yorkshire

Publication date: 17 Oct 2005

Complaint

We received complaints that Rugby League Raw (15 October) was not transmitted as advertised in Yorkshire.

The BBC's response

We apologise to viewers in Yorkshire who were unable to watch the final programme in this year's Rugby League Raw series. We experienced a technical fault which meant that this programme did not go out as planned in Yorkshire.

It will now be re-broadcast on Tuesday night at 11.05pm on BBC One Yorkshire.

Lucky I wasn't in Yorkshire on the weekend and got to see it, seems like non-one who stayed in Hull this weekend would have seen it yet.

I'll try and see if I can record/capture a stream off the web on Tuesday night.

* I'm still an amateur with the web broadcast/record thing, missed it sorry. Will keep an eye out if it pops up on the web *

bartman

Immortal
http://www.superleague.co.uk/news/4121

Rovers cull signals intent

Newly-promoted Hull KR have begun their preparations for engageg Super League with a mini clear-out and the capture of two experienced front-row forwards.

Rovers have released five players, including two of the Grand Final-winning team that clinched promotion, and signed Mark O’Neill and Jim Gannon from Leeds Rhinos and Huddersfield Giants respectively.

O’Neill, 31, who made only 11 appearances for the Rhinos in an injury-hit season, has joined the Craven Park club on a one-year deal, while 29-year-old Gannon, a member of the Giants’ Powergen Challenge Cup final team, has signed a two-year contract.

O’Neill, who won the NRL Grand Final with Wests Tigers before joining Leeds a year ago, is looking forward to kick-starting his career.

"After an injury-wrecked season at Leeds I am really looking forward to showing what a fully fit Mark O’Neill can do," he said.

"I am coming over to an outstanding club that’s professionally run, the facilities are great and they are a great bunch of blokes.

"I saw the final and I was impressed. It will be a tough year, as it is for any team that gets promoted.

"But it is a challenge and we have got a lot of young kids, who are very keen, enthusiastic and full of confidence."

Rovers chief executive Paul Lakin said: "In Mark, we have signed a forward of the highest calibre and one who has played at the highest level all his career. His leadership skills and expertise will prove invaluable."

While O’Neill will take up one of the club’s three overseas quota spots, former Halifax forward Gannon is exempt because he has taken out British citizenship.

"Jim is exactly the type of prop that Justin Morgan was looking for to complement our current front rowers and also the additional players we have identified," added Lakin.

"He is a no-nonsense front rower with bags of Super League experience."

Rovers coach Justin Morgan, who says he needs to sign between 10 and 12 players for the club’s first engage Super League campaign, made way for the new faces by cutting five of last season’s squad.

They include former Leeds winger Leroy Rivett, 29, who ensured everlasting fame by scoring four tries in the last Challenge Cup final to be held at Wembley in 1999.

Others to go are French goalkicking centre Damien Couturier, hooker Andy Ellis, loose forward Dwayne Barker and prop Gareth Price, who finished the season on loan to Celtic Crusaders.

The club have also said they will allow prop James Garmston to join a National League One club on a season-long loan and have given permission to former Huddersfield hooker Phil Joseph to speak to other clubs. Both players have a year left on their contracts.

Lakin said: "The club would like to place on record their thanks for the contributions each of these players has made to Hull KR and wish them well for the future."

Former Leeds forward Jason Netherton has agreed a new one-year deal and the club are still in talks with Scotland winger Jon Steel and former Bradford Bulls half-back Matty Brooks.

bartman

Immortal
Dave Solomona's on the market again, having asked for a release from his current contract... Morgs should throw some cash Solo's way, although I suspect the reason Dave wants a change is that he's sick of playing with a club at the lower end of the table? And Bradford usually get what Bradford wants.

http://www.superleague.co.uk/news/4125

Bradford Bulls will renew their attempt to sign Wakefield Trinity Wildcats’ New Zealand forward David Solomona after it was revealed the player has asked for a move from Belle Vue.

The 28-year-old Test second rower has two years left to run on his contract with the Wildcats but has submitted a formal request for a release.

Had the Wildcats been relegated, Solomona would have become a free agent but now Bradford may have to pay as much as £200,000 (=$500,000) to get their hands on one of the best ball-handling forwards in the game.

Wakefield say they will reluctantly grant Solomona his release but only if they receive a satisfactory offer.

Wildcats chief executive Steve Ferres said: "The club is obviously disappointed and indeed devastated that David has made an official request for a release from his contract as he is one of the best forwards in the game and an integral member of the Wildcats squad.

"David made a verbal request to leave a couple of days after our last game of the season and was asked to reconsider his position. Unfortunately, he has now confirmed his demands to leave the club.

"Solomona and his agent have been told that his release will only be granted if the terms of his transfer are acceptable to the club."

Bulls chairman Peter Hood said: "Of course, we are interested.

"We are always interested in quality players and he is certainly a considerable talent. That is beyond question.

"We will certainly express our interest but any deal has got to be realistic and affordable."

Solomona joined the Wildcats at the start of the 2004 season from Parramatta after a previous spell with Sydney Roosters and quickly became a crowd favourite at Belle Vue.

He was named in the 2004 Super League Dream Team after helping the Wildcats reach the play-offs for the first time.

After being recalled to the international scene for last year’s Tri-Nations Series, Solomona was in the New Zealand side that defeated Australia 24-0 in the final at Elland Road.

He was chosen in the Kiwi squad for their title defence but withdrew on the eve of the tournament in order to have surgery on his bicep, an injury he sustained playing for Wakefield three weeks from the end of the season.

TheGame

Juniors
Ive just signed upto this board because you wanted a Hull KR fan to post updates so that is what ill do. You'll see below in a moment the reason i came looking for your specific forum.

TheGame

Juniors
[edit] Links Added to articles

The following are news articles in our local paper over the past couple of days.

New signing Mark O'Neill insists Hull KR will "give it everything they've got" in a bid to stay in Super League.

The 31-year-old Aussie has put pen to paper on a one-year deal, after being strongly linked with a move to Craven Park in recent days.

O'Neill, who endured an injury-hit spell at Leeds Rhinos last season, is under no illusions about the task ahead for KR in their battle to defy the bookies odds.

"We will be certainties for some people to go straight back down," said O'Neill, who will be a quota player, along with James Webster.

"History suggests that's exactly what going to happen, but we're not going to put our hands up and tread water for 12 months.

"We'll get in there and give it everything we've got.

"We have to attack it as a week to week proposition and see how it goes. We need to get as many wins under our belt as soon as we can and then go from there.

"As soon as you get confidence in the camp, it's amazing how far that can take you.

"I'm not too bothered about what pundits might think."

It was an easy decision for O'Neill to join forces with two good friends in Webster and Justin Morgan from their NRL days.

He hopes to repay coach Morgan's faith in bringing him here by helping KR survive their first season in Super League.

"I know how passionate Justin and James are about the game," said O'Neill.

"They have a young and enthusiastic team and they've done exceptionally well this season.

"I like the challenge of being newly promoted to Super League and the challenges that lie ahead in trying to keep them there for 2008."

O'Neill is joined by Jim Gannon, who has signed a two-year deal, with the second year hinging on Rovers surviving in Super League.

Aussie-born Gannon, 29, is a non-quota player, and was released by Huddersfield at the end of the season.

Gannon had no hesitation in making the switch as he feels something big is happening in east Hull.

The prop has no doubts that within the current squad there are Great Britain internationals waiting to emerge.

"Over the next few years I can see some of them like Ben Cockayne featuring in the Great Britain set-up," Gannon told the Mail.

"We have some great young players who really have the potential to go on and achieve whatever they want to achieve. This is a club that has big plans to continue upwards.

"Rovers remind me of my former club Huddersfield when I joined them. They had just been promoted and Tony Smith had just come on board.

"With everything in place behind the scenes and being financially sound, and having a good coach in place, I can see only good things for Hull KR."

Gannon's interest in Rovers came about after a chat with former team-mate Iain Morrison, who joined Rovers before the 2006 season.

Gannon's wife looked after Morrison's son Ashton when he was at training and when he was told of the revolution at Rovers, he wanted to meet with Morgan.

"I liked what Justin had to say and decided to get on board," said Gannon.

"His whole attitude impressed me and he's a fresh, young enthusiastic coach. He's at the cutting edge of coaching techniques and is seen as one of the best young coaches coming through.

"It wasn't long ago he was playing so he'll know what to expect from the players."

^ http://www.thisishull.co.uk/display...tentPK=15697055&folderPk=79655&pNodeId=136259

Hull KR's move for Harlequins utility player Pat Weisner is all-but sealed.

The 24-year-old Australian spent the last three months of the season on loan at Rovers after struggling to get into the Quins side following the arrival of Brian McDermott as coach.

Rovers have also agreed a new deal with Jonathan Steel, while Weisner is expected to sign a one-year contract.

Chief executive Paul Lakin said: "We have agreed terms with Jon who will sign his contract when I return from holiday.

"It's a one-year deal and we're delighted he is staying with us as we prepare for Super League.

"We are also very close to agreeing terms with Weisner on a one-year deal also.

"Again I expect it all to be sorted out on my return from holiday.

"Pat has proved in the short time he has been here what he can do and we are looking forward to having him here next season."

Former Halifax captain Weisner made a big impact on his arrival including an outstanding try-scoring display in the National League One Grand Final.

Weisner has been overwhelmed with the passion and commitment displayed by the fans in east Hull in recent months and is eager to hammer out a deal that will see him make a permanent move to Craven Park.

Weisner said: "The last three months or so that I have been here I have really enjoyed and it helps a lot when you are enjoying your footy.

"The atmosphere at the club is really good and I have felt like I have been here all season. I really felt wanted when I came here and it makes such a big difference when you feel wanted by a club. "

Rovers have lofty ambitions to be a big success after 12 years in the wilderness and an influx of new players at Craven Park is expected, with Aussie duo Jim Gannon and Mark O'Neill already signed on the dotted line.

Weisner also holds big ambitions of his own and is determined to be a success in Super League.

He added: "I think I can achieve my ambitions at Rovers and get what I want out of the game. This season's move worked out pretty well for both of us, they got pretty good use out of me because I played most games for them and they got good use out of me filling in at different areas.

"I served a purpose for them and they served a purpose for me."

^ http://www.thisishull.co.uk/display...tentPK=15717561&folderPk=79655&pNodeId=136259

Hull Kr are set to complete the signings of Parramatta's Michael Vella and Castleford's Gray Viane by Monday.

David Riola, agent for both players, who share the same birthday, confirmed talks are taking place with newly-promoted Rovers.

Vella is looking at signing a three-year deal while Viane, who finished the season as Castleford's leading try scorer, looks set to sign a one-year contract.

Vella is contracted with Parramatta for next year but he has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave to play in the Super League.

While he will initially come as a quota player, his status will change to non-quota when he gets his Maltese passport.

With all Super League clubs having filled their quota slots, Vella is looking to join up with his good mate James Webster at Craven Park.

Pulling off the signings would signal Rovers' intent to be a force in Super League and will no doubt excite Robins fans.

"I have spoken to Paul Lakin and Justin Morgan and both parties are very interested," Riola told the Mail.

"Mick's 28 and he has three or four years of rugby left in him.

"There are a few terms still to sort out.

"We have spoken to Parramatta and they know we are talking to Hull KR and they will let him go.

"There will be no transfer or compensation involved because we negotiated his contract to include a clause that would allow him to leave to play in the Super League.

"Mick has always had an idea that he would want to come and play in England and it might be next year."

Vella is currently regarded as a quota player, although he is close to gaining a Maltese passport that will make him a Kolpak player.

The 28-year-old is a solid front rower who is just as dangerous with the ball in hand as he is tackling.

Having played over 100 times in the NRL and in the State of Origin series, he will bring a wealth of experience to Craven Park.

There's no doubting his battling qualities after overcoming thyroid cancer last year.

"Mick had throat cancer in 2005 and he's got the all-clear from that," said Riola.

"In fact he's probably come back better from it. It was a bit of a scare.

"He does a lot of work off the field for cancer organisations. He's a good all-round guy.

"It sums up how much of a fighter he is that he was back playing again inside a couple of months."

While Vella will strengthen the pack, Gray Viane, 24, will add pace and power to the back division after scoring 14 tries at the Jungle.

"Gray can play centre, wing or back row," said Riola.

"He's currently touring England with the Samoan team for the Federation Shield.

"Gray wants to join Rovers and we need to have a chat with Justin.

"He signed a two-year deal at Castleford, but with relegation, he was allowed to look for another club. I hope we can complete that deal as soon as possible."

^ http://www.thisishull.co.uk/display...ts=yes&more_nodeId2=136253&contentPK=15721350

Also for the above ^, the following link shows the back page of the local paper (left hand side) with a pic of Vella.

http://www.thisishull.co.uk/display...ommand=refreshModule&sourceNode=136236&page=2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully that will keep you going :lol:

What are your thoughts and comments on Michael Vella and ill pass them onto our forum.

Do you want me to post rumours from reliable people within the club? if not ill stick to what is quoted in the press and try to keep you all informed.

On a side issue we have 'apparently' purchased a temporary stand to use for our season in ESL.

TheGame

Juniors
Without now trying to outstay my welcome

Here are a few videos you might find intresting to watch. Ill describe each one so you know before hand what your getting into.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DItRrx3ILUI&mode=related&search=

- The Rovers Chairman and Chief Exc trying to get Morgan to sign our club song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5e2pDm4cjs&mode=related&search=

- A short clip from the Grand Final with us singing Red Red Robin! (its not my video btw)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwXOxg1O9ts&mode=related&search=

- Someones poor attempt at showing the Grand Final closing moments, after 10 seconds watch Webbo dart through the line and get taken out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP79KZGtmb4&mode=related&search=

- Civic reception for the players this past sunday in our city centre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlZxd5QZ2hk&mode=related&search=

- This shows us in our home game recording our biggest win of the season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6hbI7zO1ak&mode=related&search=

- Best clip ive found of the highlights from the Grand Final

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctc9vuDo4MI&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB5JB5MwJ8s&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fit39xH_X3o&mode=related&search=

- 3 clips of the celebrations from supporters from the Grand Final

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/ukfs_sport/hi/av/bb_rm_fs.stm?nbram=1&bbram=1&nbwm=1&bbwm=1&news=1&nol_index=rugby_league

- Hull KR vs Warrington (Challenge Cup - Quarter Final 2006), Warrington are a Super League side and they were much fancied to easily beat us .
BTW the link above the change your window to suit the clip .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Gi-FVCLm4

- Season Highlights

Hope you enjoy these.

Stagger eel

Staff member
TheGame said:
The following are news articles in our local paper over the past couple of days.

Hopefully that will keep you going :lol:

What are your thoughts and comments on Michael Vella and ill pass them onto our forum.

Do you want me to post rumours from reliable people within the club? if not ill stick to what is quoted in the press and try to keep you all informed.

On a side issue we have 'apparently' purchased a temporary stand to use for our season in ESL.

not that we don't doubt you and I'm sure he'll make a great signing for you but can you please provide a link to the above articles? thankyou.

bartman

Immortal
Welcome The Game. A York based Parra ex-pat here. Great work on finding the youtube vids.

Whoa, that's some news in your paper about Vella, and his get out clause! For anyone who needs, the weblink to the Vella story is http://www.thisishull.co.uk/display...ts=yes&more_nodeId2=136253&contentPK=15721350

I knew he and Webster were good mates and used to rib each other all the time. He hasn't been at his best for many years, but showed some great courage to come back from his cancer, and he now could be primed to recapture his best for you in a new and fresh environment. If he's motivated properly then he should go well in Superleague.

Best of luck with your temporary grandstand, as long as it gets you through the criteria and no-one gets hurt then it'll be fine!

Stagger eel

Staff member
it looks like V will be at Hull KR and for that they've found a new fan in me, goodluck to him.

TheGame

Juniors
eelavation said:
not that we don't doubt you and I'm sure he'll make a great signing for you but can you please provide a link to the above articles? thankyou.

Done, ive edited the post to include the links for those articles.

Parra Guru

Coach
welcome The Game and thanks for your input. Keep posting cause some of us are pretty keen on following the progress of our old boys!!

TheGame

Juniors
Parra Guru said:
welcome The Game and thanks for your input. Keep posting cause some of us are pretty keen on following the progress of our old boys!!

No problem, thanks for taking an intrest in our club.

We could have another one in Vella by monday.

So weve been linked with Fui Fui but that aint happening now Vella.
Didnt Jeremy Smith play for you this season? we was 90% done with singing him but his work permit never came through so that was scrapped. It seems our coach likes you club a fair bit.

I hope he lives in your area because him and Webbo have both gone home for a holiday so maybe a bit of 'tapping up' might occur lol

Vella eyes Hull KR move after cancer treatment

Neil Morrow
Friday October 20, 2006
The Guardian

Hull Kingston Rovers look set to secure the signature of Michael Vella, from Parramatta Eels. Vella, a front-row forward, was treated for thyroid cancer last year but his doctors say he is in full remission.
The 28-year-old is contracted to Parramatta for next year but has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave to play in the Super League.

Terry Newton is the most notable omission from the Great Britain side taking on a Newcastle select side this morning.

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/rugbyleague/story/0,,1926980,00.html#article_continue

Just another one confirming what is happening.

HevyDevy

Coach
TheGame said:
No problem, thanks for taking an intrest in our club.

We could have another one in Vella by monday.

So weve been linked with Fui Fui but that aint happening now Vella.
Didnt Jeremy Smith play for you this season? we was 90% done with singing him but his work permit never came through so that was scrapped. It seems our coach likes you club a fair bit.

I hope he lives in your area because him and Webbo have both gone home for a holiday so maybe a bit of 'tapping up' might occur lol

Nah I spoke to Morgs the other day to catch up when he gets back to Oz but he's actually not coming home at all. Said he is heading to France for two weeks instead.

Parra Guru

Coach
http://www.thisishullandeastriding....tentPK=15721350&folderPk=79770&pNodeId=136366

Hull KR are set to complete the signings of Parramatta's Michael Vella and Castleford's Gray Viane by Monday.

David Riola, agent for both players, who share the same birthday, confirmed talks are taking place with newly-promoted Rovers.

Vella is looking at signing a three-year deal while Viane, who finished the season as Castleford's leading try scorer, looks set to sign a one-year contract.

Vella is contracted with Parramatta for next year but he has a clause in his contract allowing him to leave to play in the Super League.

While he will initially come as a quota player, his status will change to non-quota when he gets his Maltese passport.

With all Super League clubs having filled their quota slots, Vella is looking to join up with his good mate James Webster at Craven Park.

Pulling off the signings would signal Rovers' intent to be a force in Super League and will no doubt excite Robins fans.

"I have spoken to Paul Lakin and Justin Morgan and both parties are very interested," Riola told the Mail.

"Mick's 28 and he has three or four years of rugby left in him.

"There are a few terms still to sort out.

"We have spoken to Parramatta and they know we are talking to Hull KR and they will let him go.

"There will be no transfer or compensation involved because we negotiated his contract to include a clause that would allow him to leave to play in the Super League.

"Mick has always had an idea that he would want to come and play in England and it might be next year."

Vella is currently regarded as a quota player, although he is close to gaining a Maltese passport that will make him a Kolpak player.

The 28-year-old is a solid front rower who is just as dangerous with the ball in hand as he is tackling.

Having played over 100 times in the NRL and in the State of Origin series, he will bring a wealth of experience to Craven Park.

There's no doubting his battling qualities after overcoming thyroid cancer last year.

"Mick had throat cancer in 2005 and he's got the all-clear from that," said Riola.

"In fact he's probably come back better from it. It was a bit of a scare.

"He does a lot of work off the field for cancer organisations. He's a good all-round guy.

"It sums up how much of a fighter he is that he was back playing again inside a couple of months."

While Vella will strengthen the pack, Gray Viane, 24, will add pace and power to the back division after scoring 14 tries at the Jungle.

"Gray can play centre, wing or back row," said Riola.

"He's currently touring England with the Samoan team for the Federation Shield.

"Gray wants to join Rovers and we need to have a chat with Justin.

"He signed a two-year deal at Castleford, but with relegation, he was allowed to look for another club. I hope we can complete that deal as soon as possible."

Vella seems like the perfect option for KR

GJB-HKR

Juniors
Hi guys, here's the latest down in Hull...

The Hull Daily Mail said:
Former Rovers star Stanley Gene could be back at Craven Park as early as next week.

The newly-promoted Super League side have expressed an interest in signing the Papa New Guinea utility player.

But with a year left to run on Gene's current contract, Rovers were prepared to wait and see if the Bulls would land David Solomona.

Now that the second rower has agreed a £200,000 move to Odsal - which will see English back-row forward Brett Ferres go in the opposite direction - it's expected Gene will be allowed to leave Bradford after just one season.

Solomona will become a Bulls player once he passes a medical on a bicep injury.

The paperwork is expected to be completed within days.

With Gene's imminent exit, Rovers are favourites to land their former player who will add tremendous experience to Justin Morgan's side.

Rovers chief executive Paul Lakin said: "If Stanley's situation was to change at Bradford, then we will of course be interested.

"Stanley is a quality, experienced player, the type of player we are looking for, who can play in a number of positions."

Gene, who will re-unite with fellow Papa New Guinea native Makali Aizue, made 21 appearances for Steve McNamara's side last season.

Rovers have continually played down speculation linking Gene with a return to east Hull.

In the four years he was at Craven Park, he scored 94 tries in 111 games.

The deal is expected to be completed when Lakin returns from holiday later this week.

ROVERS are close to announcing Michael Vella as their third signing of the close season.

But it now looks unlikely that former Castleford centre Gray Viane will be joining him.

Lakin told the Mail: "Vella is a player that we are talking to at length at the moment.

"He's a prop of the highest quality who has played for Australia in the past and played in 10 State of Origin games.

"What is exciting for us is that as a prop, he is reaching his prime at the age of 28 and we feel that by bringing him over, we will get the best couple of years out of him.

"Negotiations are at an advanced stage and hopefully we can make an announcement at the back end of the week.

"However, it's not looking likely that Gray Viane's move will go ahead.

"I wouldn't say the door is definitely shut on him but at the moment we're looking at other options.

"We expressed an interest and he was interested in coming over.

"But myself and Justin sat back and thought we'd cover all our options.

"We want to make sure we take our time and we get the right players for each position."

Article link HERE

GJB-HKR

Juniors
Also, we're carrying on with the Parra theme in the coaching department again too. At this rate we'll be calling ourselves the Hull Kingston Eels! :lol:

The Hull Daily Mail said:
Mark Barnes is set to become Justin Morgan's new assistant coach ahead of Hull KR's first season in Super League.

Morgan has been without an assistant since Dean Sampson walked out on the club in July.

Since then, Morgan has been helped with the coaching duties by Andrew Webster, brother of skipper James, during the last few months of their promotion-winning season.

Barnes has cut his teeth as an assistant at Harlequins RL after a successful seven-year playing career in the NRL with Parramatta Eels and Sydney Roosters.

The qualified PE teacher has been working at Harlequins since December 2004.

Rovers chief executive Paul Lakin said the deal has been 99 per cent done and the contract just needs to be signed.

"Mark came down to the Grand Final and was very impressed. He's very highly rated.

"We haven't put pen to paper, but it's just a formality that we bring Mark to Craven Park as Justin's assistant

Article link HERE

bartman

Immortal
Barnesy! Wondered what happened to him. Last saw his named listed with Windsor a few years back I think?

GJB-HKR

Juniors
bartman said:
Barnesy! Wondered what happened to him. Last saw his named listed with Windsor a few years back I think?

Didn't our previous assistant Dean Samson play prop for you at one time too?

Latest posts