What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels keen to discuss Smith's future

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
Its not just gould....just quiety, IMO it will get 'sticky' around the time we have to choose a new coach ;-)

Vira

Juniors
eelavation said:
Look i can deal with throwing JT the gig for a couple of seasons however if your want a combo completely out of left field how about a Pay/Dymock combonation?

thumbs up to that combination!

yy_cheng

Coach
I skimmed through this thread so I don't know if anyone has posted but howabout

STERLO ?

Or Sterlo/Pay combo?

I have no idea about Sterlo's ch. 9 contract, but he was consulting for the Warriors so he must be thinking about it.

Prodigal Eel

Juniors
What about a Smith, Gould and Sheens combo :roll: .....never been a fan of more then one head coach...i believe the players need play under the guidence of one head coach, otherwise it could get to confusing

shiftysmith

Juniors
i personally think sterlo is the man for the job,i just hope he feels he needs a change and what a change it would be to take his eels to a title..

shiftysmith

Juniors
Jake the snake said:
Sterlo is getting paid top dollar for doing the best job in the world. Why would he want to leave that??
i understand that all im saying is that he has a great football brain,and i am sure sometimes he must think of what it would be like to lead the eels back to glory days,and he just maybe wants to see he good his footy brain is

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like Sterlo, but he dont get on with Fitzy so it'll never happen while Fitzy is there

NO WAY DO WE WANT GUS, I CANT STAND HIM

yy_cheng

Coach
How is the contract for tv rights with the nrl going?

If 9 doesn't get it, sterlo could be out of a job?

WA Eel

Juniors
Only problem with JT is for 10 years, he´s played in teams that make finals but don´t go on to win them. We criticise Brian Smith for being unable to progress beyond making the finals, what makes you think JT can go one better as coach..............

Seriously though, it´s a great move by the club to finalise Brian´s future prior to the start of the season. There´s no way we can hope to sign players for 2007 if we can´t tell them who will be coaching. Also, if the players know that there´s a new coach in 2007, they know that they are effectively playing for their futures at the club.

Redback71

First Grade
when smithy goes prepare to see the eels sink back into oblivion.
cant believe im as gutted as everyone and new it wouldnt take long for the sack smith camaign to start, isnt it better that we got where we did this year comapred to the last 2.

if it wasnt for smithy the chances r we would not have signed ridell, pj, tahu or morrison and may not have unearthed talant like t.smith, b.smith, widders, j. reddy etc.

would we have finish minor premiers and re-claimed the club championship? i doubt it.

look to the bright side the side i signed for the next year or 2 and would be better next year while other sides r going thru various changes.

eelavation said:
1 thing that will stop Gould is Fitzy! they don't like each other.

ffs does fitzy get along with anyone!!!

A couple from left field...

David Waite (always rated)
Laurie Daley (unlikely I know..read below)
Matthew Johns (top dollar with tv gig..unlikely but tv gigs don't last forever..but has the football brain)

True EEL

Bench
Next year will be Smith's 10th as Parramatta coach and his contract is understood to be worth $400,000 annually, making him one of the highest-paid coaches in the NRL.

There is no doubt about Smith's technical ability as a coach, but his critics point to Parramatta's stunning failures in several big end-of-season games over the years.

enough said really IMHO

and what are the players going to say - "it was his fault"????

just a real pity and a downright unsolved mystery how the players have consistently let him down in these big games when it has been different players year in year out???????

one of life's mysteries i guess

and don't be surprised to see him signed again.....don't be

and the most sensible things said by forum posters on this topic were:

"get someone from outside the club"
"a broom through the entire coaching ranks"
"get rid of any assistants that have bene indoctrinated with BS's style"

we NEED this to happen and IMHO opinion it NEEDS to be done before next year

The Colonel

Immortal
Actually just on this, RLW's The Mole mentions a current NRL coach is interested in going into commentary in 2007 but they won't mention names. Given Brian's past performances as a commentator I have a strong inkling that it could be him. I think he would be a breath of fresh air as a commentator....

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Colonel said:
Actually just on this, RLW's The Mole mentions a current NRL coach is interested in going into commentary in 2007 but they won't mention names. Given Brian's past performances as a commentator I have a strong inkling that it could be him. I think he would be a breath of fresh air as a commentator....

I used to love listening to him.

Suitman

Post Whore
He was the best, most fascinating, deep thinking commentator there has been. Warren Ryan is pretty good as well.

I wish we could have Peter Wilkins, Warren Ryan and Brian Smith back on the ABC.

Suity

Eelectrica

Referee
Suitman said:
He was the best, most fascinating, deep thinking commentator there has been. Warren Ryan is pretty good as well.

I wish we could have Peter Wilkins, Warren Ryan and Brian Smith back on the ABC.

Suity
Yes please.
When games are televised live I switch off the TV commentary and put on the ABC commentary.