What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels move two games to Telstra Stadium

Gees I am starting to look like a real soothsayer now.

What was it 18 months ago I suggested that a move to telstra would be required.

I love Parramatta Stadium, I really do, but without a major cash injection of Over 45 Million Dollars, getting that place up to code. In my opinion wont happen.

The After match function and all don't matter either. I just want to see the eels running around. A home is what you make it. The Parramatta faithful have a chance to make Telstra Stadium a home. It is up to us to bring the Soul to this club. The Club will continue to make the financial requirements needed for the FANS to see Parramatta play each week.

With STH's getting Comparable Seats at the venue I think some people will get a view of Telstra they don't normally get where it is quite easy to see the game and get involved with it.

Either way for me. As long as the Eels are playing every weekend, I don't care where it is at.

strider

Post Whore
I don't think I've seen any $ amounts mentioned anywhere in this thread ..... if we are doing it to make money, anyone got a guess at how much money it is making/saving us? .... i'm just interested to see how much its worth

as for comparing this to the NZ matches .... well I personally always thought that was a sh*t idea too :lol: ... and yeah it was more sh*t than this ..... this is better - but at least the NZ was well planned out in advance

I am assuming this was never relayed to the STHs because it was still totally up in the air months ago when the STH info was being prepared

As for transferring the seats - I wonder how it will be done ??? .... the Parra Stadium terrace seats are closest to the game at parra, but they are cheaper - the stand seats are more expensive and under cover, further from the field but not too far cos of the smaller stadium .......... do you put the cheaper seats closer at telstra like at parra OR do you put the ppl who paid more closer cos well they paid more and should get a better view???

I can tell you the Numbers on the New Zealand Deal.

Lets say that moving that one game was worth more than what Our Sleeves are worth.

Lets say that Parramatta Jumper is worth $750,000 a year. A Sleave spot is about 1/3rd of that.

As to how much the Telstra Deal is, Bulldogs get Minimum $2 million a year. Plus Bonuses if they go over certain figures, I would say our away game against them would have given them one of the bonuses, by about 2000 people. Even without bonuses, if I calcuate 11 home games buy that ammount (they get to play one, I think, they took their Cowboys game to Suncorp, and maybe so should we). The Money we will get from playing there is again worth more than a sleve sponser, and more than half a Title sponser.

Gronk

Staff member
I wonder if Parra Stadium Trust charge like SCG Trust ? I recall that the Souths move was motivated by the high rent charged at Aussie. In 2005 when Souths signed the deal to shift to Telstra, they were quoted as saying that they made only $38k profit over 10 home games that year playing out of Aussie. At Telstra they were guaranteed a walkup payment of $50k per match. Hard to argue with those figures.

Yes the move to Telstra for a few games will no doubt be good financially, but I still think it's an SOB of a place to watch footy.

AlexTheEel

Juniors
B-Tron 3000 said:
f**k you.

Don't tell me how to respond.

Why doesn't Dennis admit the real reason for this? The Dogs v Eels game attracted 27 000 when it was towards the end of the season and built up as one of the biggest games of the year. We hardly need the extra capacity. Eels v Saints? You're having a laugh.

We're going there because Telstra are paying us. This has nothing to do with the fans at all.

watch ur mouth boy.

MarkInTheStands said:
With STH's getting Comparable Seats at the venue I think some people will get a view of Telstra they don't normally get where it is quite easy to see the game and get involved with it.

How so? I sit 6 rows back and look directly down the tunnel at Parra, the playing surface is a few meters away. Will I get that at Telstra.....not a chance

I despise watching football at Telstra Stadium, I'd take my Bay 66 seat over any seat at Telstra (including those in the members area which in my opinion are the only real decent vantage points to watch footy)

Illegal Immigrant said:
How so? I sit 6 rows back and look directly down the tunnel at Parra, the playing surface is a few meters away. Will I get that at Telstra.....not a chance

I despise watching football at Telstra Stadium, I'd take my Bay 66 seat over any seat at Telstra (including those in the members area which in my opinion are the only real decent vantage points to watch footy)

I think you will get something quite comprable.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
MarkInTheStands said:
Please Explain this Comment.

You said as long as the Eels are playing each weekend you don't care where it is at.

So I asked you whether you care if we're not Parramatta.

I don't think it was that hard a question.

Hellsy

Immortal
Nikki said:
Maybe its a double standard, but I didnt mind this at all. It was planned out, you werent charged for it in the season tickets, and it took the game to ppl who wouldnt normally get to see it (there are alot of Eels fans in NZ).

Taking 2 games to a stadium just down the road is just silly. Besides the whole money side of things I really dont see how this benefits us.

PRECISELY

Why the hell should people pay for seats at another stadium when they may not want (or be able to) attend those games.

Alot of families don't want to take them to bulldogs home games, just because it is officially 'our home game' doesn't change much at all.

This is an absolute stuff-up for any Parramatta fan.... options should always be sought prior to sending out the renewals. It is almost theft for those who cannot attend Telstra games.

What bullsh*t

B-Tron 3000 said:
You said as long as the Eels are playing each weekend you don't care where it is at.

So I asked you whether you care if we're not Parramatta.

I don't think it was that hard a question.

I care if we are parramatta, and I don't think playing at Homebush changes the origins of the club.

Hellsy

Immortal
eelavation said:
EELS TO PLAY TWO MATCHES AT TELSTRA STADIUM IN 2008
Thursday 18 October 2007

The Parramatta National Rugby League Club is pleased to announce that it will play two of its home matches of the 2008 Premiership season at Telstra Stadium.

The opponents in those matches will be the Bulldogs and St George Illawarra.

Parramatta Eels Chief Executive Denis Fitzgerald says it is exciting news for the Club.

"It is a great opportunity for the Club. The capacity of Telstra Stadium is four times that of Parramatta Stadium and gives us a great chance to play in front of big crowds," Mr Fitzgerald said

"All of those people who have purchased Season Tickets for the 2008 season will have their seats transferred to Telstra Stadium for those two matches and the corporate facilities enable the Club to entertain our growing number of corporate partners in great style," Mr Fitzgerald added.

"We saw a number of marquee matches in 2007 that attracted very large crowds and we believe that will only become stronger in coming years. This deal enables us to maximize exposure of the Club and provide the opportunity for anyone wishing to purchase a ticket to these matches to be able to do so," Mr Fitzgerald said.

http://www.parraeels.com.au/news/news1663.asp

that's not how i read it B-Tron, there's nothing there that suggests that we've made the move specifically for the fans however he does indicate that it's a great opportunity for fans to take advantage of the facillities they have on offer. he also indicates that it gives the club great exposure, so i will ask you again is he bullsh*tting or telling the truth??

Actually... this is misleading and and borderline on bait advertising which is against the law.
You cannot have people pay for something and then change it without offering them a refund first.
it is very deceptive

eels_fan_01

Bench
I actually think its been worse at Dogs/Eels games at Parra stadium just because everyone is alot closer and the majority of Dogs fans are assholes.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Hellsy said:
Alot of families don't want to take them to bulldogs home games, just because it is officially 'our home game' doesn't change much at all.

Very good point.

Let's transfer our home game to the home ground of one of the most intimidating sets of fans in the game.

Nice.