What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels move two games to Telstra Stadium

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
MarkInTheStands said:
I care if we are parramatta, and I don't think playing at Homebush changes the origins of the club.

No, but then moving to the Central Coast doesn't change the origins of the club either.

Or becoming the Perth Eels.

Look, I know my examples are a bit over the top but, for me, Homebush just isn't home. Simple as that. Our club is the PARRAMATTA Eels. Last I checked Homebush wasn't PARRAMATTA.

I always kind of laughed at - and at the same time felt sorry for - clubs that had to give up their identity. We've started on down that road too.

And I simply don't trust our CEO. He has constantly shown that he only cares for the dollar. Parramatta Tigers, anyone? Merging Union and League? The U 20s comp, which in no way will help Parramatta?

That is your opinion B-Tron and you are welcome to it. All I can say is that we are still playing 10 games out of Parramatta Stadium at this time.

Hellsy

Immortal
B-Tron 3000 said:
Very good point.

Let's transfer our home game to the home ground of one of the most intimidating sets of fans in the game.

Nice.

and don't forget 'charge our valued season ticket holders for the seats whether they use them or not'

The Colonel

Immortal
B-Tron 3000 said:
No, but then moving to the Central Coast doesn't change the origins of the club either.

Or becoming the Perth Eels.

Look, I know my examples are a bit over the top but, for me, Homebush just isn't home. Simple as that. Our club is the PARRAMATTA Eels. Last I checked Homebush wasn't PARRAMATTA.

I always kind of laughed at - and at the same time felt sorry for - clubs that had to give up their identity. We've started on down that road too.

And I simply don't trust our CEO. He has constantly shown that he only cares for the dollar. Parramatta Tigers, anyone? Merging Union and League? The U 20s comp, which in no way will help Parramatta?

I think you are taking it a little too personally but that is your perogative.

Yes, Denis has looked at other options to make the Leagues Club, Parramatta Stadium and the Eels more viable. Some have definitely been a case of what the, but he is at least exploring options.

At some point however the club needs to explore these options to make money, outside of the poker machine money and gate takings we currently rely on, otherwise the club may not be the Eels anymore anyway. Given the impact of the pokie tax altready this could hit the team even harder in the future.

Sure playing at our home ground is a big deal but consider this - some of the games that have been played at Parramatta in recent years have actually cost the club rather than making them money once catering, security and event staff arte taken into consideration. Two games at Telstra, given they cover the costs of all of the above, could very well keep the other ten at Parramatta on a long term basis.

As MITS has mentioned elsewhere the two games we do move are quite possibly the equivalent of a sleeve sponsorship or possibly even more. The upside of this could mean even wider spread publicity for the sponsors we already have they have more options for advertising at a bigger field. This could also entice more potential sponsors long term as well.

I'd be pissed if we were moved altogether to Homebush and away from Parramatta but I don't think the board would take that path without exhausting all other options beforehand.

Stagger eel

Staff member
The Colonel said:
Sure playing at our home ground is a big deal but consider this - some of the games that have been played at Parramatta in recent years have actually cost the club rather than making them money once catering, security and event staff arte taken into consideration. Two games at Telstra, given they cover the costs of all of the above, could very well keep the other ten at Parramatta on a long term basis.

interesting point, i rememebr having a discussion with someone at the club this year about our home game against Canberra actually putting us in the red at the end of the night.

Hellsy

Immortal
But guys... it is not a case really of them moving it, it is that they have deceived us by sending out renewals.
Surely we all should be given the option of taking up the 2 'home games' at Telstra or not... and why are we paying for them if we aren't going.

Personally I would prefer not to pay and then if I so choose to attend then I will pay for my own ticket (aka taking a game to NZ style)

It is deceptive and misleading and they should be in trouble for misleading consumers in their flyer for STH

Hellsy said:
and don't forget 'charge our valued season ticket holders for the seats whether they use them or not'

yet who is to say that they won't offer two options when you get your Season ticket passes. The Tickets for Telstra or a Refund. If as you have said it is a requirement by Law, then would the club not be obliged to do that.

Seriously I am not picking here. I am just wondering if the club will do what is required by law. I am sure they will have this sort of advice sent to them by there lawyers. Or indeed club members?

Hellsy said:
But guys... it is not a case really of them moving it, it is that they have deceived us by sending out renewals.
Surely we all should be given the option of taking up the 2 'home games' at Telstra or not... and why are we paying for them if we aren't going.

Personally I would prefer not to pay and then if I so choose to attend then I will pay for my own ticket (aka taking a game to NZ style)

It is deceptive and misleading and they should be in trouble for misleading consumers in their flyer for STH

It is also an interesting point to wonder if they have purposely mislead season ticket holders or if they have seen some scary numbers, and taken this option after the STH process has started.

Hellsy

Immortal
MarkInTheStands said:
yet who is to say that they won't offer two options when you get your Season ticket passes. The Tickets for Telstra or a Refund. If as you have said it is a requirement by Law, then would the club not be obliged to do that.

Seriously I am not picking here. I am just wondering if the club will do what is required by law. I am sure they will have this sort of advice sent to them by there lawyers. Or indeed club members?

EELS TO PLAY TWO MATCHES AT TELSTRA STADIUM IN 2008
Thursday 18 October 2007

The Parramatta National Rugby League Club is pleased to announce that it will play two of its home matches of the 2008 Premiership season at Telstra Stadium.

The opponents in those matches will be the Bulldogs and St George Illawarra.

Parramatta Eels Chief Executive Denis Fitzgerald says it is exciting news for the Club.

"It is a great opportunity for the Club. The capacity of Telstra Stadium is four times that of Parramatta Stadium and gives us a great chance to play in front of big crowds," Mr Fitzgerald said

"All of those people who have purchased Season Tickets for the 2008 season will have their seats transferred to Telstra Stadium for those two matches and the corporate facilities enable the Club to entertain our growing number of corporate partners in great style," Mr Fitzgerald added.

"We saw a number of marquee matches in 2007 that attracted very large crowds and we believe that will only become stronger in coming years. This deal enables us to maximize exposure of the Club and provide the opportunity for anyone wishing to purchase a ticket to these matches to be able to do so," Mr Fitzgerald said.

http://www.parraeels.com.au/news/news1663.asp

that's not how i read it B-Tron, there's nothing there that suggests that we've made the move specifically for the fans however he does indicate that it's a great opportunity for fans to take advantage of the facillities they have on offer. he also indicates that it gives the club great exposure, so i will ask you again is he bullsh*tting or telling the truth??

I am all for what is best for the club... but not at the detriment of myself

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The question is if we pay for the 12 matches do we get into Telstra for free? Or do we still pay a slight cover charge as the admission at Telstra may be higher?

The Colonel

Immortal
Hellsy said:

They haven't mislead anyone - you have paid for twelve Parramatta home games and will be able to have seats at twelve Parramatta home games. Despite them moving the game to Telstra the game is still classified as a home game and you are still given a seat regardless.

The Colonel

Immortal
PARRAMATTA EELS HOME GAMES AT TELSTRA STADIUM FAQ
19 October 2007

SEASON TICKET HOLDER INFORMATION

Will my Season Tickets be transferrable to Telstra Stadium?

Yes, all Season Tickets will be transferred to similarly prioritised seating areas at Telstra Stadium. Lengthy consideration has been given to ensuring Season Ticket Holders are not disadvantaged by the move. Further details will be in the December newsletter including provisions for those requiring special consideration (wheelchair access etc).

Is there any additional cost involved for the games held at Telstra Stadium for Season Ticket Holders?

No, the cost of your 2008 Season Ticket includes entry to these games at Telstra Stadium.

Are there any additional benefits to Season Ticket Holders?

Yes, we are in the process of finalising the added benefit of heavily reduced ticket prices for Parramatta Eels away games played at Telstra Stadium. Further details will be in the December newsletter.

GENERAL INFORMATION

Why is the Club taking the games to Telstra?

It is a great opportunity to play at a truly international venue that can cater for many more Eels supporters. It ensures two blockbuster home games at a first class venue.

How long is the agreement for?

Two home games per season will be played at Telstra Stadium for five years - 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.

Is there parking at Telstra Stadium?

Yes, there are thousands of parking spaces surrounding Telstra Stadium.

If you plan to drive, always pre-book your parking for major events. To pre-book parking, call Ticketek on 02 8736 2770 or visit www.ticketek.com.au. Remember, you must book 5 working days in advance to allow for delivery by mail.

If you do not pre-book a parking space, casual parking is generally available for $3 per hour or $15 per day maximum. For up-to-date information regarding availability on the day, call the Parking Information Line on 1900 95 PARK(7275) (55c/min incl GST. Higher for mobile and public phones).

If you have booked an accessible parking space, remember to have your RTA permit displayed.

Are there conditions of entry to Telstra Stadium?

Yes, these are available from the Telstra Stadium website www.telstrastadium.com.au

Will my special requirements be managed at Telstra Stadium?

Yes, Telstra Stadium caters for people requiring wheelchair access, people with hearing difficulties and those requiring companion seating. For more information please contact the Ticketek Accessible Bookings Team on 02 8736 2770

Will the shuttle bus be in operation on the day?

We will be organising a shuttle bus for Telstra Stadium games. Further details (start / end points etc) will be in the December newsletter for Season Ticket Holders and on the website for other supporters.

Does my child require a seat?

Children are required to be accompanied by an adult at all times when attending events at Telstra Stadium.

Anyone attending an event at Telstra Stadium requires a ticket. The exception to this is very young children who may be admitted free of charge on the provision that they are accompanied by an adult and will share that person's seat. i.e. sit on their knee. Children attending in this manner are not entitled to a seat and are generally 4 years or younger.

Can I bring a stroller into Telstra Stadium?

Due to safety reasons, strollers and prams are not permitted into Telstra Stadium's seating bowl. Strollers may be cloaked in cloakrooms or stroller bays provided by the Stadium.

More stadium information including Telstra Stadium seating plans are available from www.telstrastadium.com.au

http://www.parraeels.com.au/news/news1664.asp

Hellsy

Immortal
The Colonel said:
They haven't mislead anyone - you have paid for twelve Parramatta home games and will be able to have seats at twelve Parramatta home games. Despite them moving the game to Telstra the game is still classified as a home game and you are still given a seat regardless.

Sorry but that is rubbish.
If people paid for tickets based on getting 12 home games at Parra then it is misleading to now swap 2 to Telstra without offering refunds if requested

tollgateadzy

Juniors
if we are worried about increasing our crowd size , why is our ground record at parramatta 27243 in 1986 and now everyone gets excited when we get a 18000 crowd ??? with not many spare seats ???? hey hey answer me that one !

tollgateadzy said:
if we are worried about increasing our crowd size , why is our ground record at parramatta 27243 in 1986 and now everyone gets excited when we get a 18000 crowd ??? with not many spare seats ???? hey hey answer me that one !

27, 243 was for the Nissan Sevens wasn't it were people could circulate. Either way, the Hills were larger than the current Terraces by about 6 meters each side and was normally standing room only.

The Colonel

Immortal
Hellsy said:
Sorry but that is rubbish.
If people paid for tickets based on getting 12 home games at Parra then it is misleading to now swap 2 to Telstra without offering refunds if requested

Have you requested a refund?