What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
^^^

Origin legend Gorden Tallis, meantime, is vehemently against the idea of the 57-year-old taking the reins.

“Who has he coached?” Tallis said.

“I’m a big believer that you’ve got to coach ... If I’m (considering hiring) an apprentice (to build) a house, or (choosing) someone that’s built 10 houses, I want the guy that’s built 10 houses.

“I think we’ve got enough good rugby league coaches.

“What has he achieved in our game?

“Lebanon (at the World Cup), six games… give me a break.

“That’s desperation right there … I don’t think Parramatta is that desperate.”

The case for Cheika becoming the next head coach of the Eels may be contingent on him being surrounded by assistants with experience and high NRL IQ.

“So you tell me, if Michael Cheika comes to you and says, ‘I’ve got - say - Matt King and - just as an example - Jason Ryles coming with me, you wouldn’t consider that?” Read continued.

“Matt King might (come with Cheika), he’s coached with him at the Roosters.

“If (Cheika) turns up and pitches to them, ‘me in charge, right people around me,’ why can that not work?”

The Eels’ brass has shown no urgency to make an appointment, as fellow candidate Trent Barrett continues as interim coach.

Avenger

Immortal
^^^

Origin legend Gorden Tallis, meantime, is vehemently against the idea of the 57-year-old taking the reins.

“Who has he coached?” Tallis said.

“I’m a big believer that you’ve got to coach ... If I’m (considering hiring) an apprentice (to build) a house, or (choosing) someone that’s built 10 houses, I want the guy that’s built 10 houses.

“I think we’ve got enough good rugby league coaches.

“What has he achieved in our game?

“Lebanon (at the World Cup), six games… give me a break.

“That’s desperation right there … I don’t think Parramatta is that desperate.”

The case for Cheika becoming the next head coach of the Eels may be contingent on him being surrounded by assistants with experience and high NRL IQ.

“So you tell me, if Michael Cheika comes to you and says, ‘I’ve got - say - Matt King and - just as an example - Jason Ryles coming with me, you wouldn’t consider that?” Read continued.

“Matt King might (come with Cheika), he’s coached with him at the Roosters.

“If (Cheika) turns up and pitches to them, ‘me in charge, right people around me,’ why can that not work?”

The Eels’ brass has shown no urgency to make an appointment, as fellow candidate Trent Barrett continues as interim coach.
All great points IMHO.

Cloeel

Juniors
You are not not signing Cheika as coach for his Rugby league coaching experience and strategy. You are signing him as a leader/man manager and surrounding him with technical experts as assistants.

If you cannot get suitable assistants to facilitate the technical aspects of the game - there is no point signing Cheika.

King-Gutho94

Coach
You are not not signing Cheika as coach for his Rugby league coaching experience and strategy. You are signing him as a leader/man manager and surrounding him with technical experts as assistants.

If you cannot get suitable assistants to facilitate the technical aspects of the game - there is no point signing Cheika.
I think assistants will be craving to learn under a guy like Cheika. He has that allure about him.

Coaching at high level sport is as much about leadership and man-management as technical coaching.

Young coaches coming through would learn 100 x more under Cheika who has been around the world dealing people with backgrounds from different countries.

I think they will be banging down the door.

Cheika would also have the likes of C-grade plodders on the staff like Antonelli out the door quick smart.

JokerEel

Coach
I think assistants will be craving to learn under a guy like Cheika. He has that allure about him.

Coaching at high level sport is as much about leadership and man-management as technical coaching.

Young coaches coming through would learn 100 x more under Cheika who has been around the world dealing people with backgrounds from different countries.

I think they will be banging down the door.

Cheika would also have the likes of C-grade plodders on the staff like Antonelli out the door quick smart.

I doubt Cheika is going to come here without a solid plan and if the club hasn't asked him what that plan is and who his assistants are then they are idiots similarly if Cheika comes on board and doesn't ask the club what their plans are then he is an idiot.

I would back Cheika in if he brings in his own assistant coaches Like Cronk but if the club is going to hand pick them then who ever is the next coach isn't winning shit..

Eelementary

Post Whore
"High NRL IQ"

f**king roflmao

Like it or not, rugby union is a far more nuanced, and technical, sport than rugby league. And Cheika has succeeded in union.

There's no reason he couldn't succeed in league.

This idea that he can't coach and NRL team, because he's scarcely coached rugby league, is the dumbest point I've ever heard, tbh.

They're acting like he's coached a completely disparate sport.