What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 23.4%

• Total voters
I guess the question we have to ask right now, is does anyone from the chairman to the CEO to the head of football to the head of recruitment and any future head coach actually know what success looks like for an NRL club in their current role, and what it takes to get there.

Because if we don’t, that is the biggest failing the club has.

Pazza

First Grade
I guess the question we have to ask right now, is does anyone from the chairman to the CEO to the head of football to the head of recruitment and any future head coach actually know what success looks like for an NRL club in their current role, and what it takes to get there.

Because if we don’t, that is the biggest failing the club has.

ill give McElduff and Sarantinos credit, they acknowledged that the football program was going backwards and made the call. It would have been easy to say, Moses was injured and Gutho wasn't available. It would have been real easy to not rock the boat. At least they were pro active but the jobs not done.

ill give McElduff and Sarantinos credit, they acknowledged that the football program was going backwards and made the call. It would have been easy to say, Moses was injured and Gutho wasn't available. It would have been real easy to not rock the boat. At least they were pro active but the jobs not done.

I would put a very big Asterix beside that. Unless we know for sure that the problem was Brad and is not the HOF or R&R team We can’t know if it was the right call or just a easy call made to cover their asses.

A poem

Ryles never smiles
Thought he was too cool
To coach the mighty sgi
Rather play with his tool

A scrumpet of a player
When he was needed most
A choker of high order
Nothing much to boast

Hannay is a gumpy gump
Professional fill in coach
It’s Baz for Gutho and Moses
And so no need to poach.

Brad be loving all the waffling
He sees nothing much has changed
Glad he was shown the door
By management so deranaged.

Last edited:

emjaycee

Coach
Why would the Board and CEO take the easy option?
What do they gain if we don't taste success or improvement?

Maybe they don't want us to succeed because they didn't support Parra until they got their current jobs?

Sensei Cobra

Juniors
With Cheika no longer in the running (great move, Board....great move), I'm throwing my support behind Hannay.

Anyone but Ryles.
How come you don’t like Ryles ?
I reckon his background is a little more impressive than Hannah and I like that he would bring his own assistants and also didn’t compromise on what he needed for success at the dragons

Maybe they don't want us to succeed because they didn't support Parra until they got their current jobs?
Maybe they don’t know that it is an easy option. Maybe they believe they have made the right choice.

But if the news reports for the last few years are true and the HOF and R&R team haven’t been executing the vision of the head coach then it Becomes a question of whose side do you take, and who is easier to replace?

Because maybe there's a stereotype that they're all lazy corporate f**ks who make a living out of taking easy or cheap options?
They certainly don't seem to lose anything if we don't taste it, with the three year cycle of re-electing two at a time.
Maybe they just want the corporate box and other free perks? Who wouldn't...

Johnny88

Juniors

Queensland coach Billy Slater and Maroons captain Daly Cherry-Evans have emerged as trump cards in Josh Hannay’s battle for the Parramatta post.
Sport Confidential can reveal Slater and Cherry-Evans agreed to be personal references for Queensland Origin assistant Hannay as part of his job application to succeed sacked Eels coach Brad Arthur.
Former NSW Origin forward and Cronulla skipper Wade Graham was another respected figure to endorse Hannay for the Eels top job.
Hannay and former Storm assistant Jason Ryles have received the final stage of interviews, with Slater’s right-hand Maroons man to deliver a formal presentation to Eels bosses after Origin II next week.

The 44-year-old has coached 30 NRL games as a caretaker for Cronulla and the Cowboys and Maroons mentor Slater will not stand in Hannay’s way if he beats Ryles to the prestigious Parramatta gig.
It is understood Eels lock J’maine Hopgood has been impressed with the coaching of Hannay in Camp Maroon after making his Queensland Origin debut in Game One.
Hannay has served a fine apprenticeship, coaching Souths Logan in the Queensland Cup for two seasons before cutting his teeth as an assistant at the Cowboys, Sharks and Maroons.
Slater has previously lauded the contribution of Hannay to Queensland’s success in winning back-to-back Origin crowns and is adamant he is ready to be an NRL head coach.
“He could be (an NRL coach) one day, I’ve got absolutely no doubt about that,” Slater said.
“Josh is probably one of the most important people in our little group, players, coaches ... our whole group (in Camp Maroon).
“He brings a lot of footy knowledge and he has a passion to coach and I certainly see him as a head coach in the future.
“He has already had experience as a caretaker coach of both the Cowboys and Sharks so it is only a matter of time until Josh will be a head coach at an NRL club in the future.”

This Year?

Immortal
All ryles is going to do at half time is rip his trakkies off and walk around to each player in his grundies, pointing at his schlong and mutter something about whether or not they could “beat that”

He’s a one trick pony.

@This Year? and i are giving you a warning about him.

You don’t want him.
Ryles would just dump it out the back and expect an assistant to clean it up.
How many 3 week suspensions can he get as a coach?

pazzaeel

Juniors
I would have liked Chieka, cos it would have been an interesting ride to have an intellectual in charge for a bit. So I get the angst.

However the ^^^ post makes zero sense, in unfounded and smacks of sour grapes.
You should ban yourself from posting.

hindy111

Post Whore
A poem

Ryles never smiles
Thought he was too cool
To coach the mighty sgi
Rather play with his tool

A scrumpet of a player
When he was needed most
A choker of high order
Nothing much to boast

Hannay is a gumpy gump
Professional fill in coach
It’s Baz for Gutho and Moses
And so no need to poach.

Brad be loving all the waffling
He sees nothing much has changed
Glad he was shown the door
By management so deranaged.

You are very talented. A credit to this forum

Pazza

First Grade
I would put a very big Asterix beside that. Unless we know for sure that the problem was Brad and is not the HOF or R&R team We can’t know if it was the right call or just a easy call made to cover their asses.

BA had 11 years and the only thing he brought us was a spoon.

Time to go

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
No you missed tbe post. ^^^ it was claimed that Ryles or Hannay would not have the balls to speak up about recruitment and / or MON and THATS why MON steered the board away from Cheika.

I'm not sure how, or why, anyone would say that. My understanding is that the coach decides who he wants and it's MON's job to go get them like he did with Lomax.

This basically means that MON works for the talent identifier, whoever that may be. So wtf does Ryles or Hanny not having the balls to stand up to him, have to do with anything? MON works for what ever coach is in charge.

Stevie

Bench
Geez the carryon about a Rugby coach is over the top.

If we got him most of you would be arguing about how stupid it is to have a NRL novice coach from another sport! Most experts agree he is an impressive guy but not a great choice for a club needing league expertise like us.

If rumours are true we tossing up between the absolute two hottest coaching prospects in NRL. Picking either last week wouldn’t bring them earlier due to their current commitments yet so many whinging it’s taking too long?

I’m no club apologist trust me but if they just picked one straight away people would be crying we did not do any research or rushed an easy option.

We’ll have a new coach in the next fortnight and it will be a well thought out one.

Calm the f**k down.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Geez the carryon about a Rugby coach is over the top.

If we got him most of you would be arguing about how stupid it is to have a NRL novice coach from another sport! Most experts agree he is an impressive guy but not a great choice for a club needing league expertise like us.

If rumours are true we tossing up between the absolute two hottest coaching prospects in NRL. Picking either last week wouldn’t bring them earlier due to their current commitments yet so many whinging it’s taking too long?

I’m no club apologist trust me but if they just picked one straight away people would be crying we did not do any research or rushed an easy option.

We’ll have a new coach in the next fortnight and it will be a well thought out one.

Calm the f**k down.

1718877468966.png