What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 26 27.7%
  • Morris

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 23.4%

• Total voters

chiefy1

Bench
Anyway I doubt the Eels ceo and board sacked ba thus shocking everyone, as it was earlier than nearly every fan expected, to then sign someone like Hannay.

Who would be in a rush to sign Hannay or Ryles lol. It's not like they were highly sought after. They weren't going anywhere.

They weren't on anyone's hit list lol.

There's clues at which the speed they sacked the bush coach as to who will be our next coach. And it's not any coach who requires a booster seat to get to kellyville training.

Last edited:

JokerEel

Coach
Anyway I doubt the Eels ceo and board sacked ba thus shocking everyone, as it was earlier than nearly every fan expected, to then sign someone like Hannay.

Who would be in a rush to sign Hannay or Ryles lol. It's not like they were highly sought after. They weren't going anywhere.

They weren't on anyone's hit list lol.

There's clues at which the speed they sacked the bush coach as to who will be our next coach. And it's not any coach who requires a booster seat to get to kellyville training.

Ryles was on the Dragons list and turned them down...

hineyrulz

Post Whore

Josh Hannay could be new Eels coach: J'maine Hopgood​

Josh Hannay would be a strong choice for Parramatta's vacant head-coaching job, Eels forward J'maine Hopgood says, after the pair reunited ahead of Queensland's triumph in State of Origin I.

Craig Fitzgibbon's right-hand man at Cronulla, Hannay is considered one of the NRL's top assistant coaches and has been linked with the Eels vacancy since the struggling NRL club fired long-term mentor Brad Arthur last month.

Hannay has been on the Maroons coaching staff since Billy Slater took charge in 2022, working primarily with the outside backs and cementing himself as a popular figure with the playing group.

The 44-year-old has twice taken the reins as an interim head coach - at North Queensland in 2020 and then the Sharks, who he guided to within a sliver of the 2021 finals.

The only Eels player selected for Origin I, Hopgood has known the coach since the Hervey Bay product earned selection in Hannay's Queensland under-18 side in 2017.

Hannay dodged questions about his interest in the Eels job on Wednesday, though said he had previously "made it clear" he had head-coaching aspirations.

After the Maroons' 38-10 win on Wednesday night, Hopgood was confident the 44-year-old would be up to the task of taking charge at Parramatta.

"Of course I'm going to say that," he told AAP.

"I'm not too sure what direction (the Eels) are going. If that's one, then yeah, 'Head' is doing a good job. But it's above my pay grade."

During camp ahead of his Maroons debut, Hopgood was struck by Hannay's rare combination of football and people skills.

"He's easygoing, he's easy to have conversations with, which is a good thing," Hopgood said.

"But he's also very footy-smart at the same time. He's spent a fair bit of time as an assistant coach at different places."

Hopgood was solid from the bench on his Origin debut, but his most memorable moment came after halftime when he was whacked to the ground in a bruising tackle from NSW's Liam Martin.

Hannay would of never got a gig under Bea Arthur by the sounds of it, far too smart and well spoken.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yep basically that.

Having watched Hannay speak and just observing him in the past few weeks he has a quiet confidence about him without the arrogance that makes him very appealing.

He has been around the block at multiple clubs not like when we appointed the dope Steve Kearney who spent his apprenticeship being an outlet for Bellyache to scream at in the coaches box.
Which sounds like Ryles main gig, hope the club learns from its mistake.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Kearney had worked with Martina and Bennett. Didnt help him much.

tbh I couldn’t give 2 shits who we appoint….im not the one interviewing them therefore none of us really know what they’re going to bring to the table I’m just simply stating a fact…

would there be a guarantee of success if your boy was appointed?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
tbh I couldn’t give 2 shits who we appoint….im not the one interviewing them therefore none of us really know what they’re going to bring to the table I’m just simply stating a fact…

would there be a guarantee of success if your boy was appointed?

You couldn’t give two shits lol, yeah I’m sure.

And my boy?? lol I’m just saying what I think like I normally do my opinion means no more than anyone else on here.

And they are all a risk, even Bennett would have been. Who would he the least risk?? I’d say Hannay has the best credentials but so did Barrett and Holbrook. At least the new coach is taking over a decent roster and with plenty of cap space for 2026.

chiefy1

Bench
You couldn’t give two shits lol, yeah I’m sure.

And my boy?? lol I’m just saying what I think like I normally do my opinion means no more than anyone else on here.

And they are all a risk, even Bennett would have been. Who would he the least risk?? I’d say Hannay has the best credentials but so did Barrett and Holbrook. At least the new coach is taking over a decent roster and with plenty of cap space for 2026.

A positive for Hannay is his relationship with qld players and development players in the q cup who'd want to play for him.
The negative is his below 40% win rate both in q cup and as an assistant

TheRam

Coach
I just watch the James Graham - Michael Cheika interview.

If anyone watches that and can't figure out that Cheika would be the best player manager/coach we could ever appoint since Gibbo then they aren't to bright.

As for his knowledge of the game? He has plenty already but that is besides the point, just listen to him and you will quickly grasp that he has an army of assistants that he can draw on including from the RL world too. People is his business and he knows plenty of the best that we will ever need.

We as a club just need to have the balls to appoint him and then be clear in what we want him to deliver and then just leave him alone to do his magic.

Also I have a feeling if we did appoint him and he won us that premiership, his down the road job will be in corporate and if he has success here as a coach, who knows he may end up on our board and become our very own Uncle Nick.

I know...all a dream at this point, but we need to have grand dreams and he is the sort of person with a certain type of skill sets that don't come around all that often that can make grand dreams come true.

The man is a magnet for success and people want to be part of his success. None of the other candidates come even close to what this bloke could if successful.

I hope we as a club have the cahoonas to give him the gig. If not we will remain a middle of the road club for years to come. Almost guaranteed. None of the other candidate will have the backbone to lay down the law and fix our pathways correctly. I know it in my bones Cheika will quick smart demand idiots like our HOF be moved along. He won't tolerate human handbrakes like him.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So besides Gould who is a mercenary and anyone can hire, they basically have what most other clubs have. Successful people that are fans.
Gould is absolutely minted mate. Apart from a cameo at the Warriors, he has stuck with clubs he has a personal connection with. As an employee of the Panthers he leveraged his personal relationship with a billionaire to secure funding to accelerate their football program. An unbelievable resource.
Now if you can show me and everyone else on this forum how they are an unhirable resource that the club/players are gaining from in a meaningful way then maybe you are right?
The proof of the puddin’s in the tastin’ bro. That’s how they would say it out Penrith way.
But otherwise they are just fans that are great to have around and show the players from time to time that the club has successful followers but hardly game changers.

As for Brandy, besides being high profile, what has he ever done after football that has made him such a asset to the playing group, and how come it never seemed to work until Gould restructured the joint and got his mate Packer to save them from Bankruptcy? Oh and having the 2 Cleary's as the king pins of your club doesn't hurt.
They could’ve been at any other club.
Packer and Gould were the real shakers and movers
Agreed, see above

Incorrect

Coach
I think so has OBrien from Newcastle, was a whisker from getting sacked last year, until Ponga turned up to play
Yep, one of BA's mates, sounds like a dill most of the time (probably likes getting around with no shoes on too) but assured everyone he knows what it takes to win premierships cause he was in the Storm and Rooster systems... Again, Kearney was in the Storm system too and coached about as well as a pot plant....

Last edited: