What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Next Coach

Who will be Eels Next Coach

• Hannay

Votes: 30 29.4%
  • Hollbrook

Votes: 12 11.8%
  • Ryles

Votes: 33 32.4%
  • Morris

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Cheika

Votes: 22 21.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So here’s a question…what do you merkins think it is that made Ryles say yes to us but no to the dragons? Both teams need a rebuild. I can’t see we’re that much better an option (outside of a good stadium and new CoE).

Eels have the building blocks to success.. two good young halves and a overall good squad whereas Dragons don't.

Plus he thought Bellamy was almost ready to retire but he keeps signing on for another year.

Gronk

Staff member
So here’s a question…what do you merkins think it is that made Ryles say yes to us but no to the dragons? Both teams need a rebuild. I can’t see we’re that much better an option (outside of a good stadium and new CoE).
For what it's worth, on the latest Jam & Cheese Pod, James Graham said that Ryles dropped out of the STG race because they wouldn't agree to his terms.

EDIT: No, it was "they couldn't agree to terms."

hindy111

Post Whore
But the f**kers kept on renewing his contract. They are throwing BA under the bus. And BA needed to go. But they are just as guilty!

He did a fair job. But fmd any coach with a spine of Gutherson (At peak) Moses,D.Brown and Mahoney along with origin level peak years of RCG and JNR is going to make the finals. Only once did he get this side into a preliminary and a good win. Every other year we got beaten in week 2. So one successful final series with that spine over 4yrs.
2023 it wasn't the same. And either was 2024. And in 2018 we got the spoon. We underperformed badly in all those years. We where not a top 5 chance but we should of made the finals in all 3 of those years. Bottom of 8 perhaps.

BA did well in 2022 and 2017. He also had great squads and I dont think he overacheived either. No other year did he do better then what anyone would of expected with the squad available. 2014/2018/2023/2024 where failures with team he had.

EelEtric

Juniors
He did a fair job. But fmd any coach with a spine of Gutherson (At peak) Moses,D.Brown and Mahoney along with origin level peak years of RCG and JNR is going to make the finals. Only once did he get this side into a preliminary and a good win. Every other year we got beaten in week 2. So one successful final series with that spine over 4yrs.
2023 it wasn't the same. And either was 2024. And in 2018 we got the spoon. We underperformed badly in all those years. We where not a top 5 chance but we should of made the finals in all 3 of those years. Bottom of 8 perhaps.

BA did well in 2022 and 2017. He also had great squads and I dont think he overacheived either. No other year did he do better then what anyone would of expected with the squad available. 2014/2018/2023/2024 where failures with team he had.
Can you really say that in 2023 and 2024 we had a spine of Gutherson (at peak) Moses, D.Brown and an equivalent hooker to Mahoney though?

While the squad may have been similar, I reckon RCG was a bigger loss than we think. He missed 10 games last year and when he played we won 57% of games - that dropped to only 50% across the whole year so definitely missed him when he was out.

hindy111

Post Whore
Can you really say that in 2023 and 2024 we had a spine of Gutherson (at peak) Moses, D.Brown and an equivalent hooker to Mahoney though?

While the squad may have been similar, I reckon RCG was a bigger loss than we think. He missed 10 games last year and when he played we won 57% of games - that dropped to only 50% across the whole year so definitely missed him when he was out.

Re read my quote. I said 4yrs 2019-2022

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The Dragons have even fewer resources than we do.

The black hand got control and BA got clubbed to death on his way home.

All you sneaks and snitches creeping around the money chimes machines, hunting for innocent frolicking bald, you got your wish.

Now we hear talks of yet another miserable rebuild with a rookie coach.

4 years of excuses coming up.

The new tigers, I feel for you.

hindy111

Post Whore
But you said 2023 was a failure with the squad he had and I dont think he had the squad available to be successful in 2023. Having RCG missing 10 games, Moses, 5 and Drown 7 means it wasnt really the same squad as '22.

It was a huge failure. Should of made 8

EelEtric

Juniors
It was a huge failure. Should of made 8
OK. I guess it's black and white and injuries and suspension to key players have nothing to do with the results.
He failed because he built a squad that couldnt cope with the level of injuries and suspensions we suffered in 2023 and that is all on him, no one else.

hindy111

Post Whore
OK. I guess it's black and white and injuries and suspension to key players have nothing to do with the results.
He failed because he built a squad that couldnt cope with the level of injuries and suspensions we suffered in 2023 and that is all on him, no one else.

Every side has injuries during the year. Never heard of a side that goes thru a season I jury free. This year The Storm have missed their best player for most the season and had a terrible run with i juries this season and so has the Panthers missing Nathan and parting with May. Both also have had to battle with origin periods a lot worse then us last.

In 2022 Souths,Storm and Roosters entered the finals series crippled by injuries. And with that luck we made the grand final.

hindy111

Post Whore
Would have without all the players missing. Or more luck. The 2002 side made the eight despite losing more than half its games. The 2010 side also missed the finals. 1987 too.

You would need to see what injuries other sides had also thst prevented them from making the 8. Like Manly losing Turbo for example.
Part of footy is injuries, having depth and getting them right for the finals hopefully.
So to a say we make finals in 23 if no injuries is just an assumption. 5 or 6 sides who missed out would say similar.

EelEtric

Juniors
Every side has injuries during the year. Never heard of a side that goes thru a season I jury free. This year The Storm have missed their best player for most the season and had a terrible run with i juries this season and so has the Panthers missing Nathan and parting with May. Both also have had to battle with origin periods a lot worse then us last.

In 2022 Souths,Storm and Roosters entered the finals series crippled by injuries. And with that luck we made the grand final.
Thats all true which is why I said he failed to build a quality squad that could handle 3 or 4 key injuries or suspension.
A little bit like how Penrith lost to both Cowboys and Dragons when Nathan, Jerome, Dylan and Liam were out all together.

Thats all true which is why I said he failed to build a quality squad that could handle 3 or 4 key injuries or suspension.
A little bit like how Penrith lost to both Cowboys and Dragons when Nathan, Jerome, Dylan and Liam were out all together.

Next man up syndrome.

Dane Laurie could be a superstar by now and instead he’s back on the bench for the Emu Plains Merkins.

Doing his doughnuts in his tiger jersey @murraymob.

Speaking of which, the dream that @MugaB and I were chatting about once of a second Penrith team for the 18th side looks done and dusted. It was a killer side on paper. Penrith East and Penrith West.

The panther player catchment cut in half at the old northern Rd.

The eels should be given Blacktown as a diplomatic gesture and I’d throw in Rooty Hill as the deal breaker.

BA could coach, although he’s linked to 2 clubs now, possibly a third if the scurrilous and totally fabricated whispers about NQ are to be given any weight.

Last edited:

Latest posts