What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK II

How many pages in 24 hrs

• 1-15

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • 16-30

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 31-45

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 45+

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfella

Coach
It's a criminal offence in nsw and some other states to have or take a bet based on inside information.

I do t think they would risk it.

There are good commercial reasons why they would have those prices up.

Doesn't mean it's a foregone conclusion.

Chipmunk

Coach
If sportsbet knew it was all of our points (i.e. 12 now), the odds for us to win the comp would be higher than 19-1, wouldn't they?

Having 0 points would put us furthest from the 8 and we should therefore have odds closer to the Knights or someone like that of winnng the comp/making the 8?

I reckon that blowout to 19s is Foran related, rather than the panic and final batch of rumours about what Tuesday's decision might possibly be....

Betting agencies are probably aware of the risk of the matter being taken to court too.

Chipmunk

Coach
Simple answer to why sportbet have blown our odds out: Simply because no-one was betting on us at the odds they were offering.

And that's because of the rumours and panic firstly about Foran, and now (post-win over the Dogs) about possible NRL penalties... rumours (not yet fact) that incidently serve the interest of the leakers/former warlords ahead of the AGM.

I don't htink sportsbet lengthening the odds means they know anything at all.

$3.25 to make the Top 8 is nothing short of a little odd.

Basil Brush

Juniors
It's a criminal offence in nsw and some other states to have or take a bet based on inside information.

I do t think they would risk it.

There are good commercial reasons why they would have those prices up.

Doesn't mean it's a foregone conclusion.

Mate, i am sorry but this is too common an opinion.

The government makes so much money from gambling, it will never investigate any gambling issues.

Why do you think they dont ban pokies?

Chipmunk

Coach
You'd have to think we are a good chance of at least losing 4 points. That's only going on the degree of media speculation and the consistency of the various sources.

If we only lose 4 I reckon we can definitely still make the 8. In some ways the points loss hanging over our heads helped us tonight. I genuinely think we wanted to win more than them.

Over the minor premiership we might even make 4 points up in close games we could have otherwise lost.

The thing is though it makes it very tough to finish top 4. On form to date we would be a massive top 4 chance without the points issue.

I don't think the bookmakers' odds are necessarily an omen of doom.

Don't forget they will be wanting to create interest around us. No one would be backing us at correct market odds so they will have been laying bets on other marginal sides.

Even if we lost Zero poiints I still don't think we will finish Top 4.

phantom eel

First Grade
Read your reply. Sortsbet would not offer $2.40 on dogs for top 4 and 9s to parra. Just to try and get a few punters in.
3s would be good odds. $4 or $5s and people would be snapping it up. $9's is basically knowing they cant so giving someone who does not know perhaps a silly bet.

The fact sharks have also tightend into 1.25 to finish top 4 shows Parra are know threat to them. Our price is not the only one thats been effected. :p Sharks have moved.

Anyhows i know nothing -Just a dope from penrith.
Doesn't matter where you're from Hindy, we're all Eels fans... but the odds a re mathematical thing, not representative of actual chances etc.

If the Sharks have tightened in, it means too many people were betting on them for top 4 at that price, and the bookie had to try to reduce the potential payout on the Sharks below their calculated threshold to remain in profit.

Odds being lengthened are just teh same thing, but in reverse (needing to attrct more bets, so that the payout pool is balanced, and profit is maintained). We're at $9 for top 4 compared to a team we've beaten twice at $2.40... watch the Dogs price blow out tomorrow to try and attract more bets on a Dogs team that doesn't look like they're top four bound. People are not snapping us up at the moment for top 4 bets because of uncertainty re Foran and rumours re possible penalties.

So despite our win people may still not b ebacking us for top 4, and our odds might lengthen even more to $11, but that is a mathematical calculation for the bookie and doesn't mean they know anything. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Basil Brush

Juniors
Doesn't matter where you're from Hindy, we're all Eels fans... but the odds a re mathematical thing, not representative of actual chances etc.

If the Sharks have tightened in, it means too many people were betting on them for top 4 at that price, and the bookie had to try to reduce the potential payout on the Sharks below their calculated threshold to remain in profit.

Odds being lengthened are just teh same thing, but in reverse (needing to attrct more bets, so that the payout pool is balanced, and profit is maintained). We're at $9 for top 4 compared to a team we've beaten twice at $2.40... watch the Dogs price blow out tomorrow to try and attract more bets on a Dogs team that doesn't look like they're top four bound. People are not snapping us up at the moment for top 4 bets because of uncertainty re Foran and rumours re possible penalties.

So despite our win people may still not b ebacking us for top 4, and our odds might lengthen even more to $11, but that is a mathematical calculation for the bookie and doesn't mean they know anything. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Sorry mate, but that is the most ignorant post ever.

Not attacking you but you obviously dont understand betting firms. They will not take massive risks.

emjaycee

Coach
Just so everyone knows exactly how many points we are losing, I got told 4-6 and 10 tonight.

Also got told the NRL "want us in the semi's if we are good enough" which would indicate the lesser of a points penalty.

IFR33K

Coach
And you can add another 4 points on top of that...that's right 16 points is the info I got

You hear if there's any deductions if board members stand down???

I wouldn't be surprised if the NRL announce this before the agm, maybe forcing some board members into stepping down.

IFR33K

Coach
Just so everyone knows exactly how many points we are losing, I got told 4-6 and 10 tonight.

Also got told the NRL "want us in the semi's if we are good enough" which would indicate the lesser of a points penalty.

If they want us in the semis, they should let us be :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.