What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK II

How many pages in 24 hrs

• 1-15

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • 16-30

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 31-45

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 45+

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscarman

Juniors
I can only think of the following matters that the media has mentioned:

- semi matter, which Weilder claimed wasn't true
- emails / minutes showing us talking about TPA, which the club is claiming didn't show the true context of matter.
- Mossop matter, payments to oversea accounts didn't make good headlines but he is also a foreigner. The extra $50k payment could be an issue.
- Watmough matter, yeah it looks like we may have incorrectly reported matter rather then cheated
- tickets to TPA, surely this always happens
- inflated invoices to TPA providers, this is probably our biggest issue. Not a lot of info report in this matter.

Are there other matters ?

If there was the pitchfork mob would be sounding off about them. The above are minor at worst. If I was the club and there is any points penalty I would be heading straight to Court and as part of the discovery process requesting all TPAs from every club.

Gronk

Staff member
mate, we're not even worth a million, do you seriously believe any rich merkin will go near us at our current state?

even the tigers are more attractive than us

Yes Stags we're worth a shit load. If Sheik Whoever can pay $12M for Melbourne Heart, then we must be worth 4/5 times that. What is happening today is a speed hump in the life of our club.

eel01s

Bench
Why wouldn't the payment to Mossop have been declared during the investigations last year. If it is true that the payment occurred, but we didn't own up, then we really deserve to lose the 4 points. The other matters really seem trivial. I have to think the Watmough deal would have already been scrutinized, as would the payments to Hayne.

It all comes down to how honest we were last year. If anything was intentionally withheld, the board and CEO deserve to be shot.

IFR33K

Coach
Why wouldn't the payment to Mossop have been declared during the investigations last year. If it is true that the payment occurred, but we didn't own up, then we really deserve to lose the 4 points. The other matters really seem trivial. I have to think the Watmough deal would have already been scrutinized, as would the payments to Hayne.

It all comes down to how honest we were last year. If anything was intentionally withheld, the board and CEO deserve to be shot.

What I fail to understand, if the NRL ran an audit on us last year, and Ian shoebox is on our books, how didn't anyone pick up we paid mossop an extra 50k???? If it's true of course.

the thing that warms me in the dark times is the commitment shown by Brad and the players to rise above all this.

the irony is that the media and haters are creating their own worst nightmare a group of strong willed warriors of stEEL who ignore the cyclone swirling around them and just keep winning
salary cap scandal? i don't read the papers mate
dodgy refs call? one more set
repeat sets on our line? wait for it boys

If I was the club and there is any points penalty I would be heading straight to Court and as part of the discovery process requesting all TPAs from every club.

also bring up the fact that every piece of evidence in this case has been leaked straight to the media

i'd grab the earliest quote from whoever gets the points total right and claim they knew all about the penalty weeks before it was handed down

hineyrulz

Post Whore
What I fail to understand, if the NRL ran an audit on us last year, and Ian shoebox is on our books, how didn't anyone pick up we paid mossop an extra 50k???? If it's true of course.
Good question, surely this was already investigated by last years audit and the Shoe box????

I don't know anymore i really don't, i just hope we find out soon so we can get on watching and cheering on our team bust their hump each week and do us proud. No matter what the punishment.

TheRam

Coach
Points deduction won’t stop Eels’ title push, say Kieran Foran

April 20, 2016 6:18pmPaul CrawleyThe Daily Telegraph

KIERAN Foran refuses to concede Parramatta’s title hopes are dead this year — even if the Eels are docked eight competition points for the salary cap debacle.
And the inspirational Eels captain remains adamant that leaving Manly to join the strife-torn club was “the best thing I have done in my career so far”.
Speculation is rife that Parramatta face a certain competition points deduction in the coming weeks, if not days, with the NRL’s investigation into alleged dodgy third-party payments finally
complete.
Parramatta fans and players are now clinging to the hope that the sanctions won’t rule them out of at least competing for a top eight spot this year.
While no one really knows exactly what the final punishment will be, even an eight point deduction would still leave the Eels on two competition points going into Saturday’s clash against the Cowboys in Townsville.

To put that in perspective, it would mean Parramatta (currently on 10 competition points) would then need to win at least 11, possibly 12, of their remaining 17 games to scrape into the top eight this year.
Given the Eels also have four points guaranteed for two byes, 11 wins would get them to 28 points and 12 wins to 30 points.
Past history indicates it takes at least 28 points to make the playoffs.

Club legend Peter Sterling has already said he believes an eight point penalty would still be too big a hurdle for the Eels to overcome.
But Foran thinks otherwise.
Asked on Wednesday if losing points would take away the team’s drive, Foran said: “I don’t believe so. We certainly haven’t let it affect us and I don’t believe it will affect us if it does happen. Or when it does happen.
“They are talking about eight points. I mean, if we lost eight points, well, we would still believe as a club and as a side that we could challenge for the title.
“It is what it is, the belief in the side and what Brad (coach Arthur) instils in this team.
“We have never once thought that we don’t deserve to be playing finals footy and we will be doing everything we can to make sure we are there.
“It would be disappointing if that does happen. I know it would be.
“As a club and as a team we have worked really hard in the pre-season to prepare ourselves as best we could for this year. We have started the season well and everything is tracking along good.
“It would be a setback and it would be disappointing but until something does happen we will just go about business as usual. And when or if it does happen we will just deal with it then and we will talk about how we want to deal with it.”

But regardless of what the final punishment ends up being, Foran said he had no regrets leaving Manly to join Arthur at Parramatta.
Asked directly if he had his time over, would he still make the same decision, Foran said without hesitation: “Oh for sure. I wouldn’t think twice about it.
“It has been the best thing I have done in my career so far. Well, I should word that differently. It needed to happen for me.
“I loved my time at Manly and Manly was the right place for me coming through as a junior.
“I was fortunate to play at such a strong club and play with so many great players and that was the best thing for the growth of my game.
“But I got to the stage last year where I knew that I needed a change. I knew that I needed a freshen up. I just couldn’t have picked a better joint to come to.
“I have really enjoyed every moment since I have been here.
“It really is great.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...bdcd08e47db7a0c4ac58787fc#load-story-comments

I love Kieran Foran!

84 Baby

Referee
heading straight to Court and as part of the discovery process requesting all TPAs from every club.

And the court would say "cool story, next case"

The only situation I can envisage is after these players had left someone at the club (who possibly is no longer at club), after being hounded by players/managers, rang around sponsors to get given the specific amount to pay the players but kept it out of club's books, but still in effect making the amount guaranteed by club and probably make it look dodgier than it is. But again if this is the case, surely it would fall under the purview of the previous governance review?

84 Baby

Referee
They don't really have to dock us any points in reality. If the NRL decide they don't want us in the Finals, then its feasible that the penalty will simply be just that - we will not be allowed to participate in this years Final Series. It was the same penalty given to Essendon in the AFL a couple of years back. I believe after being 6th on the Ladder they were relegated to 9th and didn't play in the Finals. To be honest it wouldn't surprise me if the penalty becomes something like that, annoying as it would be.

The Club has been given plenty of time to plan for the outcome, if they haven't explored every possible legal angle then they really deserve to be kicked out.

This is my thought too. If the penalty is such because they don't want us winning premiership, why even give us a sniff? It'd be a far worse outcome for them if we finished 8th and still won

Noise

Coach
And the court would say "cool story, next case"

The only situation I can envisage is after these players had left someone at the club (who possibly is no longer at club), after being hounded by players/managers, rang around sponsors to get given the specific amount to pay the players but kept it out of club's books, but still in effect making the amount guaranteed by club and probably make it look dodgier than it is. But again if this is the case, surely it would fall under the purview of the previous governance review?

Agreed. Why anyone thinks that the court would rule to have all TPA's investigated when they are not against the law is beyond me?

People are confusing the law with NRL rules - like when people were trying to claim that double jeopardy nonsense.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Concerning that BA and Foran have both answer questions this week about losing points. Previously they pretty much refused to say anything.

Even Foran seemed to have stumbled in the 2ky interview when asked if matters has been discussed among players.

Has the club been advised ?

84 Baby

Referee
Concerning that BA and Foran have both answer questions this week about losing points. Previously they pretty much refused to say anything.

Even Foran seemed to have stumbled in the 2ky interview when asked if matters has been discussed among players.

Yeah Josh told them weeks ago

Oscarman

Juniors
Agreed. Why anyone thinks that the court would rule to have all TPA's investigated when they are not against the law is beyond me?

People are confusing the law with NRL rules - like when people were trying to claim that double jeopardy nonsense.
They probably would but Courts do give out odd rulings sometimes.

Kornstar

Coach

Possibly. If they are saying they will still make the finals maybe it is the lesser points being predicted.

If they knew they were playing for nothing then the comments would be different maybe?

Smirrors

Juniors
The NRL should not make it feel like the Eels are playing for nothing. It is not in the spirit of the game and not good for viewers. They should surprise the Eels after regular season ends that if they are in the 8 they will drop out.

TheRam

Coach
The greatest signing since Ray Price. I love him.

You're probably right about that Avenger, but not because of his playing ability, which isn't to shabby either, but everything else he brings to the club in himself as a person, attitude, leadership and respect, inside and outside of the club.

Not even the big four gave us that. I remember having a discussion with Dean Pay once and talking about Parra, and all he could do was tell me how much he loved his "doggies". Great individual players those guys and played some mighty games for us back then, but I don't think their hearts were ever in the place as true Parra boys.

Whereas Foran shows an absolute commitment to the coach, players and the club as a whole with everything he says and does on or of the field.

He is very impressive, lets just hope we can keep a team around him that will finally win us all the big one. Things are beginning to look dodgy on that front right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.