What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK II

How many pages in 24 hrs

• 1-15

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • 16-30

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 31-45

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 45+

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/7c3a29633a8cbf9740a64e8b9e4fe5d4

EELS DECISION ON HORIZON

WE keep hearing Parramatta will be deducted eight competition points for their salary cap abuse. The decision is still at least another week away. The NRL’s investigation has been completed. Meanwhile it was reported this week that new Penrith boss Corey Payne was the youngest ever CEO. Wrong. Denis Fitzgerald was appointed Parramatta’s CEO (then known as secretary) aged just 29 in 1978.

I'd also hope they've employed some private investigators. Just to look into how other clubs might go about TPA business. I'm sure there's nothing to be found but it might pay to be sure.

phantom eel

First Grade
Seems to me someone is getting worried about the security of their tenure (sic) as a Director.
Isn't that like the rumour Hadley was trying to push about six weeks ago on the radio, to try and pressure someone to resign? Glad to see the Club getting on the front foot in the media for once about coups and the destabilising.
Trust Denis to try and correct the record, even though a modern day Leagues Club CEO is a lot different in scale to a mid 70s Footy Club Secreatry.... did they even have "pokies" and "gaming" back in 1978? :lol:

phantom eel

First Grade
A fair bit of legal speak in our recent statements.

No doubt the statements released by Sharp have been partly ghost written by our legal representation.

The NRL are no doubt well aware we aren't going to lie down and cop it if they decide to dish out a penalty without clear evidence.

They'll be dotting the i's and crossing the t's before any announcement I bet as they know what the club is prepared to fight back with.

No wonder it's dragging out.

Maybe they haven't found the so called 'smoking gun'
Indeed.

yy_cheng

Coach
13076702_1143897048953771_3235407779564755867_n.jpg

Gronk

Staff member
Foxsports are running a fan poll simply asking if the Eels deserve to be disqualified from finals footy this year.

I must have missed the NRL statement and evidence.

BTW it's running at 56% yes 44% no.

Last edited:

Kornstar

Coach

If everyone knows it's 8 points how can it take another week to announce it.

8 points is also weird to me. It is enough to make a statement but not enough to completely expel us from making the finals. As the public already believes we've cheated because of the media, they are going to need to detail exactly what the breaches were and why they arrived at the decision to still give us a minor chance of making the finals and possibly winning the comp.......

strider

Post Whore
What Kent said last night and his seeming softening on thing makes me think it may well be 8. Kent said the NRL must detail it all to explain why. To me that seems to suggest he thinks its not gonna be a big penalty so they have to justify why (and explain why merkins like himself ended up with egg on their faces :lol:)

hybrideel

Bench
If we win at least 1 of our next 2 games and they do only take 8 points off us, we could realistically be only 1 or 2 wins out of the 8 depending on other results. I think we can recover from that

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Andrew Webster said on the 2ky BSB this morning, basically any media report on the amount of points we are going to lose is purely speculation as the investigation report has not been completed and no decision has been made. He said no one knows what will happen.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Another point to remember no club has lost points for a salary cap breach in a year they were compliant,

Storm / dogs / warrior lost points in a year that they were actually cheating the cap big time. So if we are compliant this year with our cap then it's hard to compare us to those breaches.

eel01s

Bench
8 points means management really f***ed up. There was already a suspended 4 point penalty. The Club's response is going to be very interesting.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Andrew Webster said on the 2ky BSB this morning, basically any media report on the amount of points we are going to lose is purely speculation as the investigation report has not been completed and no decision has been made. He said no one knows what will happen.

a media report with no speculation ?

that cant be right

Another point to remember no club has lost points for a salary cap breach in a year they were compliant,

Storm / dogs / warrior lost points in a year that they were actually cheating the cap big time. So if we are compliant this year with our cap then it's hard to compare us to those breaches.

In February 2006, the Warriors were penalised for their confirmed breaches in 2004 and 2005, not because they were potentially going to breach the 2006 cap (which you can't breach until they know how much you actually spent during the year).

Gronk

Staff member
8 points means management really f***ed up. There was already a suspended 4 point penalty. The Club's response is going to be very interesting.

I dunno. Last night on NRL360 they spoke of the Anzac Day game Roosters v Dragons and Ikin & K*nt both said that whilst these teams are bottom of the table right now, if they click they could still play finals footy. So we'd be no different.

Anyone go to the leagues club members info night on Wednesday night?
I only got the notice yesterday, a day after it was on.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
In February 2006, the Warriors were penalised for their confirmed breaches in 2004 and 2005, not because they were potentially going to breach the 2006 cap (which you can't breach until they know how much you actually spent during the year).

Fair enough. According to Wikipedia ( and I accept it could be totally wrong) it states:

. were ordered to start the 2006 season with a four premiership point deficit and cut their payroll by $450,000

So they were potentially $450k (a fair percentage compared to the cap amount back then) over in 2006, or the NRL wouldn't have total them to cut that amount - so they were cheating the year they lost points (or intended to cheat until they were caught). They also overspent in 04/05 by $1million.

Gronk

Staff member
PS if we win every game (except lose against both the Cowboys and Broncos), there is another 30 points on offer not including byes. So there are 34 points available. 8th spot is usually secured @ 28 points ?

Status
Not open for further replies.