What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK II

How many pages in 24 hrs

• 1-15

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • 16-30

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 31-45

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 45+

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough. According to Wikipedia ( and I accept it could be totally wrong) it states:

So they were potentially $450k (a fair percentage compared to the cap amount back then) over in 2006, or the NRL wouldn't have total them to cut that amount - so they were cheating the year they lost points (or intended to cheat until they were caught). They also overspent in 04/05 by $1million.

It's true that they were potentially going to breach the cap that year (and may well end out having done so.....and if they did they had be under the cap by the same amount in 2007 IIRC). But the point is that the NRL imposed the penalty based on their 2004/05 behaviour...that what the breach notice was for.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Fair enough. According to Wikipedia ( and I accept it could be totally wrong) it states:

So they were potentially $450k (a fair percentage compared to the cap amount back then) over in 2006, or the NRL wouldn't have total them to cut that amount - so they were cheating the year they lost points (or intended to cheat until they were caught). They also overspent in 04/05 by $1million.

This further indicates they were over in 2006:

. To make sure the Warriors remain under the salary in 2006, the club's spending capacity will be reduced in 2007.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2006-02-27/warriors-pay-price-for-salary-cap-rorting/807484

Chipmunk

Coach
It's true that they were potentially going to breach the cap that year (and may well end out having done so.....and if they did they had be under the cap by the same amount in 2007 IIRC). But the point is that the NRL imposed the penalty based on their 2004/05 behaviour...that what the breach notice was for.

We've already received a breach notice for previous years, for a matter that has been thoroughly investigated by the same organisation and which we were found guilty and punished for.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Andrew Webster said on the 2ky BSB this morning, basically any media report on the amount of points we are going to lose is purely speculation as the investigation report has not been completed and no decision has been made. He said no one knows what will happen.

omg the voice of f**king reason...bless him

by the way, I wonder what Fitzy's other mate TK had to say about that?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I would have never have known TK was a mate of Fitz, he really hasnt much a lot on our cap issues ( during the parts I listen too anyway). He doesn't really show any bias either way.

And he definitely didn't say anything this morning.

Kornstar

Coach
I would have never have known TK was a mate of Fitz, he really hasnt much a lot on our cap issues ( during the parts I listen too anyway). He doesn't really show any bias either way.

And he definitely didn't say anything this morning.

I agree, i've been listening for about a decade and would never have thought he was in any way friends with Fitzy. I find him pretty neutral on everything.

We've already received a breach notice for previous years, for a matter that has been thoroughly investigated by the same organisation and which we were found guilty and punished for.

For separate breaches......As discussed before, the range of breach notices are not just 'exceeded the salary cap in year X', they include failure to disclose payments, proscribed paymentc etc. There's no reason why a team can't get separate breach notices for a given year. The fact that you don't get caught during one review does not exonerate you from separate breaches that may be discovered later.

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
Andrew Webster said on the 2ky BSB this morning, basically any media report on the amount of points we are going to lose is purely speculation as the investigation report has not been completed and no decision has been made. He said no one knows what will happen.

He was also on Sports Night the other night and basically said exactly the same thing. Bec Wilson responded by mentioning the Josh Massoud TV article and the "8 points". Webster basically rubbished the Massoud article...Wilson had nothing and was speechless.

Chipmunk

Coach
For separate breaches......As discussed before, the range of breach notices are not just 'exceeded the salary cap in year X', they include failure to disclose payments, proscribed paymentc etc. There's no reason why a team can't get separate breach notices for a given year. The fact that you don't get caught during one review does not exonerate you from separate breaches that may be discovered later.

How do you know there is individual breach notices relating to the salary cap and it's not just 'exceeded the salary cap in year X because of 1, 2, 3, etc'?

Djay

Juniors
Another point to remember no club has lost points for a salary cap breach in a year they were compliant,

Storm / dogs / warrior lost points in a year that they were actually cheating the cap big time. So if we are compliant this year with our cap then it's hard to compare us to those breaches.

Haven't posted on here for awhile, but this whole TPA saga (cause that's what it is) is starting to really irritate me and I'm sure everyone else, if it hasn't already.

To my point, your exactly right. Why does no one else recognise this, every team that has rorted the cap and been deducted points were doing it that current year. We are under the cap in 2016, so common sense would show that we shouldn't be suffering for the sins of years past. It's so obvious and blatant yet no one seems to mention it.

Also whoever compares this saga to that of the Dogs, Storm etc need a reality check. These teams were rorting the cap by over 2 million dollars. We weren't even over the cap, we were giving players dodgy payments via one of the biggest grey areas in the game, The third party agreements.

As it's been said if we are doing it God only knows how bad the Roosters, Broncos etc are.

Gronk

Staff member
Some of these merkins in the press will be nervously hoping that we get a heavy penalty and that the protagonists on the board are exposed. Otherwise "malicious falsehood" is a thing and if intent to smear (malice) can be proved .... boom.

I'm now thinking that we'll get no penalty at all as it was the same stuff they looked at last year and Greenberg will give the media a massive serve in the process.
Well i hope so anyway.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Some of these merkins in the press will be nervously hoping that we get a heavy penalty and that the protagonists on the board are exposed. Otherwise "malicious falsehood" is a thing and if intent to smear (malice) can be proved .... boom.

The media are loving it, probably already have there headings / articles prepared:

- eels lose points - the NRL are disgraceful, how can they have a side play for nothing it's not fair on the players / coaches and fans
- eels not guilty - the NRL is disgraceful, how dare they let "cheaters" play, it's not fair on other clubs and players. And it will cast a shadow on the comp, and what happens if we win the comp.

emjaycee

Coach
I reckon we are over the cap this year if they add any newly identified indiscretions to the current cap.
Though we would have a chance to get under it by shedding someone before the end of the year IMHO.

eels_fan

First Grade
The Week That Was: Why Cameron Smith is wrong about Parramatta Eels salary cap scandal response

a few seconds agoby BEN GLOVERSource: FOX SPORTS

CAMERON Smith has every right to feel a kinship with the Eels players.

Having captained a Storm team stripped of two premierships and forced to play a third season with no prospect of competition points, Smith knows only too well the sense of despair and futility that engulfs a team caught in the tempest of a salary cap scandal.

But, despite being one of the most intelligent players in the game, it is clear that Smith still hasn’t grasped the significance of the salary cap to the integrity of the competition.

Smith this week weighed into one of rugby league’s meatiest issues, the Parramatta Eels salary cap verdict, and spoke about the bitter experience of leading the Storm through a season in which they were denied the opportunity to accrue points.

A savvy operator like the Storm skipper would have known the questions were coming and he would have carefully crafted his response.

So telling the reporters that asked that: “From my point of view, I wouldn’t want any other player to have to go through what we went through in 2010,” is as good as saying the penalty the Storm were handed down was too harsh.

And it was too harsh, according to Smith, because it was too hasty.

“It was an awful year and those punishments were handed out fairly quickly. It is good to see the NRL are actually using some due process to go through this situation with Parramatta and it has taken a fair awhile.”

Absolutely the NRL investigation should be thorough. But does that mean they got the Storm punishment wrong?

Playing the best part of a full season without a competition point to scrap for is undoubtedly like Chinese water torture.

Maybe two stripped titles should have been enough and they shouldn’t have been made toothless tigers for a whole season afterwards as well.

But what kind of precedent would that have left? Not much can be taken from Parramatta; the only items lying around in their trophy cabinet are cutlery and not the type you’d use at a fancy dinner party. Good luck selling the Auckland Nines silverware on eBay.

So what kind of penalty sticks? What disincentivises the crime? And be sure, the penalty must disincentivise the crime.

The loss of hope. Hope is what drives an NRL club. When hopes are high, stadiums are full and merchandise stands are as popular as Shane Warne in a nightclub.

Why? Because silverware is possible. That’s all any fan, any player, any coach gets involved for.

Strip a club of hope and you strip it of a meaningful identity. That’s a genuine disincentive.

And let’s face it, if you leave hope dangling for cheats and rorters, it’s going to be virtually impossible to stop it.

Open that Pandora’s box and not only do you endorse an uneven playing field for those who do the wrong thing, you close off success for those who do it by the book. No one wants to support a competition like that.

Unfortunately that leaves the players carrying the can. Many believe the players to be innocent, although, as former NRL coach Matt Elliott recently told Fox Sports News: “If I’m getting paid off the books, I know I’m getting paid off the books.”

The same goes for third party payments that are made by association with the club.

We don’t yet know enough about the Eels’ situation to have a proper grasp on how deep in the poo they are. What we do know is that there’s been plenty of things done the wrong way and ultimately that’s allowed them to sign players that they may not have otherwise.

There will be consequences. The consequences will be competition points. Probably enough competition points to stop Parramatta from making the eight this year.

That’s appropriate, even if Smith believes it to be harsh.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/opi...e/news-story/658b199c00c1eb5775037245a4925f45

Gronk

Staff member
We don’t yet know enough about the Eels’ situation to have a proper grasp on how deep in the poo they are. What we do know is that there’s been plenty of things done the wrong way and ultimately that’s allowed them to sign players that they may not have otherwise.

Is that a fact ?

84 Baby

Referee
I reckon we are over the cap this year if they add any newly identified indiscretions to the current cap.
Though we would have a chance to get under it by shedding someone before the end of the year IMHO.

Good thing Ryan Morgan is on half a mill

Delboy

First Grade

So, a completely different punishment from the Storm and Dogs , who kept the same team after breaking the cap by millions -sounds fair :crazy::crazy:

ash411

Bench
So, a completely different punishment from the Storm and Dogs , who kept the same team after breaking the cap by millions -sounds fair :crazy::crazy:

I'm sure when our CEO becomes CEO of the NRL, we'll get a break then...

Status
Not open for further replies.