What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK II

How many pages in 24 hrs

• 1-15

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • 16-30

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 31-45

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 45+

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronk

Staff member
The huge dilemma the NRL face in deciding how to deal with Parramatta's latest salary cap breaches is that the club is finally getting its act together on the field and will be touted as genuine premiership contenders if they beat the Cowboys on Saturday night. The game is strongest when clubs like the Eels, Rabbitohs, Bulldogs and Dragons are near the top, but Parramatta were on a suspended four-point penalty before this year and must expect to be punished so every win is vital for Brad Arthur's men.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-cap-drama-20160421-gocgfp.html#ixzz46X7SigRp
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Fanbase

Juniors
can someone tell us what fools made these rotten decisions? i want to know who to blame when i post on facebook

Glenn

First Grade

Whacking Day is coming and apparently, the NRL has already all-but determined it's necessary for the Eels to be given the BIG stick. The only thing delaying the ceremonial announcing of penalties is a calculation of just how many whacks are required to punish the Eels and scare the bejesus out of everyone else.
If it were my decision I'd whack the Parramatta Eels where it hurts. I'd whack the club with a fine, of a million plus the sum of the amounts by which the club has breached the salary cap over however many years prior. Then I'd ask for the Auckland Nines prizemoney back. Then I'd whack on a 20 competition point deduction for this season, and each of the next three.
And then, I'd suspend ALL of those sanctions until the end of the 2019 season, so the Sword of Damocles dangles precariously.
In return for my display of extreme munificence I'd demand each Eels director resign immediately and undertakes to never again darken rugby league's doorstep. Then I'd fumigate the Eels' joint.
And while that's happening I'd place the club in the hands of an NRL-appointed administrator, and vest him or her with carte blanche until the end of season 2019, so not a cent flows in or out of the club during that period without the governing body's approval.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...urts-over-salary-cap-breaches-20160421-gocb2q

Gronk

Staff member
Entire article here here. Has an interesting twist.

Whacking Day is coming and apparently, the NRL has already all-but determined it's necessary for the Eels to be given the BIG stick. The only thing delaying the ceremonial announcing of penalties is a calculation of just how many whacks are required to punish the Eels and scare the bejesus out of everyone else.
If it were my decision I'd whack the Parramatta Eels where it hurts. I'd whack the club with a fine, of a million plus the sum of the amounts by which the club has breached the salary cap over however many years prior. Then I'd ask for the Auckland Nines prizemoney back. Then I'd whack on a 20 competition point deduction for this season, and each of the next three.
And then, I'd suspend ALL of those sanctions until the end of the 2019 season, so the Sword of Damocles dangles precariously.
In return for my display of extreme munificence I'd demand each Eels director resign immediately and undertakes to never again darken rugby league's doorstep. Then I'd fumigate the Eels' joint.
And while that's happening I'd place the club in the hands of an NRL-appointed administrator, and vest him or her with carte blanche until the end of season 2019, so not a cent flows in or out of the club during that period without the governing body's approval.

And while the sword perilously sways, I'd require the football club permanently divorce itself from the grip of the associated Parramatta Leagues Club, so nobody can be a director of both. Then I'd set the football club up, to accept members able to control its destiny.
It's hardly controversial to suggest the Eels have a massive problem. Yet regardless as to the extent by which the Eels have breached the mandated spending limits, or otherwise organised for players to be illegally remunerated, the club finished deep in the bottom half of the NRL table each season since 2010.
Moreover, one gets the distinct feeling that any breaches of the salary cap by the Eels might be attributable to the collective gross ineptitude and incapacity of the directors and senior staff, where the controlling minds could not properly comprehend, let alone adhere to, the complicated salary cap rules.
Depending on whom you're inclined to listen to, the consequences of the rampant salary cap shenanigans, which apparently occurred inside Eels Central in recent years, include that Parramatta will be docked at least enough competition points to ensure they're no chance of playing finals football come September.
Add to that the inevitably monstrous fine, and a raft of associated sanctions imposed on the club and those who seemingly treated the salary cap as a suggestion.
If only things were so simple – both in terms of the procedure and the outcome.
If it's ultimately determined by the NRL CEO Todd Greenberg, in his absolute discretion, that the current and former directors and staff of the Eels, and hence the club itself, have breached the NRL's Playing Contract and Remuneration Rules – otherwise termed the "salary cap rules" – to an extent materially beyond what the club has already confessed to, the seriousness of the available penalties cannot be underestimated.
They include immediately payable, or suspended, fines of up to $1 million in the case of the club; $100,000 in the case of each director and staff member involved.
In certain circumstances additional fines can be imposed, equal to the amount of any actual salary cap breach. Moreover, squarely in play is the actual or suspended deduction of competition points in respect of past, present and future seasons. The governing body could also strip any trophy won; claw back any prizemoney paid.
To put it bluntly though, it's wrong to even insinuate the NRL can swiftly impose brutal punishments on the Eels.
That might well be what happened in 2002, when the Bulldogs were stripped of 37 competition points and fined half a million bucks. But the sheer audacity of the Dogs' cheating, coupled with the club's ridiculous success that season stemming from the skulduggery, left no option. By the time the penalties were announced in August 2002, Canterbury had won 17 consecutive matches.

And yes, that's what happened in 2010 when the NRL imposed similarly draconian penalties on the Melbourne Storm; however, in that case the investigative, adjudicative and sanctioning process – which might otherwise take weeks or months – was truncated into a 48-hour period, thanks to News Ltd influencing the sanctioning process and simultaneously controlling the Storm's decision to acquiesce to the penalties imposed.
That's what happened in the past; it's not what the rules say. Rather, if Greenberg comes to the view that the salary cap rules have been broken the NRL must issue Parramatta (and anybody else in the gun) a breach notice, particularising the nefarious conduct and proposing the proposed punishment. Recipients of such notices are then afforded time in which to respond. For breach notices thicker than the Yellow Pages, this process takes time.
After any response is submitted, the NRL CEO must consider it and decide whether to impose the penalty originally specified or a different penalty. Other options include deciding the alleged breach never happened, or deciding that a different breach might have occurred (in which case the process starts afresh).
Now, assume the penalty specified in a breach notice constitutes the sun rising on Whacking Day for the Eels, and that Todd Greenberg remains resolute in imposing the proposed sanctions even after receiving Parramatta's response. What the club can do is request that any determination as to guilt or penalty be reviewed by the NRL Appeals Committee, chaired by former High Court Justice Ian Callinan, QC. The caveat is that, if four or less competition points are deducted, there is no right of appeal.
Such a review may proceed if Callinan decides that Parramatta's case is made on "plausible" grounds, or if there's any other good reason why the Appeals Committee should hear it. If the appeal proceeds, the club could appeal on the basis that Greenberg's decision was unreasonable; unsupported by the evidence; or because the punishment is manifestly excessive.
So, whack away; or is there a better way?

Darren Kane is a Sydney sports lawyer

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ry-cap-breaches-20160421-gocb2q#ixzz46XJ5CcO2
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Yes. I was about to say, the article taken as a whole is fine (if you recognise the slightly tongue in cheek nature of the opening). Just quoting the start of the article without the rest is fairly misleading in this case....I mean the guy's pen name is 'the Devil's Advocate'.

ash411

Bench
You know the worst part of all this?

It doesn't matter what we have done now. In the eyes of the public, The Eels have been cheating the cap since 1947 to the tune of 4 Billion dollars a year (might as well be) and the general public already have their minds made up. Makes not one shred of difference if Greenberg comes back on Monday saying the "New" breaches were minor and technical, not even really breaches at all, and hands us no penalty at all, they will still believe that we cheated, forever.

That is the damage that the media has done to our team. It is irreparable damage that will follow us for generations, especially if the hard work BA and the boys have been doing pays off and we hit a purple patch, it'll always be a case of "Of course they're playing well, they've been cheating forever".

Thanks for that, Australian sports media, you've tarnished our club for the foreseeable future.

ash411

Bench

It doesn't matter what we have done now. In the eyes of the public, The Eels have been cheating the cap since 1947 to the tune of 4 Billion dollars a year (might as well be) and the general public already have their minds made up. Makes not one shred of difference if Greenberg comes back on Monday saying the "New" breaches were minor and technical, not even really breaches at all, and hands us no penalty at all, they will still believe that we cheated, forever.

That is the damage that the media has done to our team. It is irreparable damage that will follow us for generations, especially if the hard work BA and the boys have been doing pays off and we hit a purple patch, it'll always be a case of "Of course they're playing well, they've been cheating forever".

Thanks for that, Australian sports media, you've tarnished our club for the foreseeable future.

Oh yeah, one more thing.. This hurts more than my previous post.

There isn't a god damn thing we can do about it. We just have to take it, cause the media are untouchable.

Would the people who want us docked enough points to ensure we don't make the finals be happy with no points penalty if we currently had no wins and no chance of making the finals anyway?

Captain BF

Juniors

I agree completely. As I've said before, you throw enough shit and some of it will stick.

Mickyd39

Juniors
Hindmarsh is a disgrace. Again he had another opportunity to defend the club and state "no decision had been mad as yet by the nrl" instead he agreed whole heartly with the idiot Johns that we're bound to lose points. I would love for him to defend the club. Not once on any of these shows has he said "let's just wait to hear from the nrl".

BoneyBlake17

Juniors
Hindmarsh is a disgrace. Again he had another opportunity to defend the club and state "no decision had been mad as yet by the nrl" instead he agreed whole heartly with the idiot Johns that we're bound to lose points. I would love for him to defend the club. Not once on any of these shows has he said "let's just wait to hear from the nrl".

If anything he said we should lose more and wait till the end of the season for them to announce it

Delboy

First Grade

Very disappointing effort from a club legend, actually sad to see that he said that the side should not be allowed to qualify for the finals

Big opportunity to show a level of support,no matter how small, such a pc answer, seemed a shallow response

Delboy

First Grade
What made Hindy's answer worse, was the di*k Matt Johns said they ahould get no more than 8 points so they had something to play for, a much more measured reply from him than seemed possible

Just penalise us commensurate with the crime committed. This thing about knocking us out of finals contention is ridiculous. If they're determined to do that then I hope they dick us a bazillion points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts