What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfella

Coach
Sounds like more of a self diagnosis you've made there, bf. ;-)

Sorry to disturb the yawn fest from fitzy's main beerhunters on this forum.

Please, please continue the factional history lesson about the good old days when your mates were running the joint into the ground before some other merkins you will never forgive competed for the same right.

Sorry to disturb the yawn fest from fitzy's main beerhunters on this forum.

Please, please continue the factional history lesson about the good old days when your mates were running the joint into the ground before some other merkins you will never forgive competed for the same right.

Yeah because the history of peoples actions around this club is completely irrelevant.

I don't care who you are, what side you came from as I have voted for groups from both sides, but if you f**k this club over, I will remember and hold it against you.

• Fitzy f**ked us over with his mouth, signing Hagan, and other things.
  • Some could say Ovo and the rest of the board made the wrong call with Bakers Mews, but I do notice that it is fully leased these days, I just hope we didn't sell it.
  • I voted for Spags and his crew in 2010 / 2011, and they managed to commit actual voter fraud to stack the board, signed Kearney and managed to turn us in the 2 time wooden spooner winners (would have been 3 expect for beating the Titians in the final round) after a GF run 2 years earlier.

All of them, I remember.

But the same goes for behaviour that seems to indicate they saw the winds blowing and went with them for their own sake, and that is what my initial comments are speaking about.

Now if Sharp and others are proven to have f**ked us, Yep I will put a black mark next to their name as well and carry that grudge for the rest of my f**king life.

Same as the Melbourne Storm club from 2006 - 2009. Booted us out of every finial series we competed in, and were over the salary cap to do it.

Gronk

Staff member
NRL salary cap doesn't fit any more, says former auditor Ian Schubert

June 15, 2016 - 5:29PM

Adrian Proszenko

He has spent more time than any other man policing it and is now charged with fixing the mess Parramatta made by allegedly trying to circumvent it. But Ian Schubert believes the salary cap needs to make way for a "fantasy league" style points system to prevent clubs from cheating the system.

Schubert was one of the most influential figures in the game while the NRL's salary cap auditor for 18 years, a post he left in 2013. The former Kangaroos representative, who oversaw the penalties imposed on Melbourne for systematic cheating, is again involved in the salary cap as a consultant to Parramatta, where he is attempting to clean up the financial mess at the club.

Schubert began pressure testing a points system alongside the cap in 2010 while cap auditor, with a view to rewarding loyalty and providing a more transparent means of equalising talent across the competition. Six years later, the former Roosters, Sea Eagles and Magpies utility believes it could be a better system than the controversial salary cap.

"As a personal project really, I have considered a points system for years and have run models over the NRL clubs and the actual figures, just looking at how an alternative might measure up," Schubert told the latest issue of Men Of League magazine. "Effectively it would be almost a real Fantasy League with a lot of variables covering injury, talent differentiation between same-level rep players, encouragement for clubs to be development rather than recruitment clubs etc. In principle, I see the value in it being considered. Its greatest benefit is transparency."

Schubert declined to add to those comments when contacted by Fairfax Media.:thumn

A five-man sub-committee of club CEOs was formed in 2010 to consider the original proposal. Two of those members, Canberra chief executive Don Furner and former Brisbane boss Bruno Cullen, are both still of the belief the points system has merit and warrants further investigation.

"It's the only system you can have that realistically can't be cheated," Furner said.

The salary cap in its current form has been in place since the NSWRL introduced it in 1990. However, it was initially brought in with a view to running it alongside a draft and the Parramatta scandal – following on from the Melbourne and Canterbury cheating dramas – has again raised questions over whether it is the best system for the modern game.

Brisbane has long been viewed as one of the most stacked rosters in the game. But under Schubert's trial valuation system in 2010, the Gold Coast were the side valued the highest. The Broncos came in at 16th spot, at $3,003,619 under a then-cap of $4.1 million. This was primarily because of discounts built into his matrix for players who had remained at one club for a significant time.

A points system is already in place in the local Canberra and Illawarra rugby league competitions. While there have been a variety of soft and hard cap systems used in American sports, the NRL would break new ground worldwide if it followed Schubert's proposal.

Former Cronulla chairman Damian Irvine has previously advocated a simpler cap system. Under his index, each club couldn't exceed 100 points for its top 25 players. Those yet to play first grade are worth two points, those with 0-50 games are worth three, and those with more than 50 NRL games were worth four. Representative players were worth five or six depending on the level they reached.

The NRL has already flagged the prospect of putting a cap on the total of third-party arrangements for each club, with the matter to be a priority for incoming head of football Brian Canavan.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...n-schubert-20160615-gpjqy6.html#ixzz4BgWr4ndu
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Understand the rationale behind it and potentially it could work. However, I think it would probably just result in more things for players, coaches and fans to whinge about.

Gronk

Staff member
Understand the rationale behind it and potentially it could work. However, I think it would probably just result in more things for players, coaches and fans to whinge about.

Yep there are nuffies who have played NSW origin for one game because of a brain snap by the coach. They would be allocated high points and could find themselves unemployable.

Bigfella

Coach
Hopefully there is more in his submission to the nrl than "come on fellas this system is too tough and it's made to be cheated".

Stagger eel

Staff member
Yep there are nuffies who have played NSW origin for one game because of a brain snap by the coach. They would be allocated high points and could find themselves unemployable.

what it will do is eliminate as a bargaining tool for a certain selector and their club to attract players, because lets face it, can you imagine someone like Jamie Buhrer being on the same amount of points as say, Josh Dugan or Guerra??

please...:lol:

oldmancraigy

Coach
Points system would be stupid.

It is an arbitrary decision on how many points a player is worth, as opposed to salaries determining how much they are worth.
The solution is a soft cap, luxury tax, unlimited TPAs with a tax on them as well which goes to clubs who historically are able to generate less revenue from that model.

A points system just becomes a win for the richest clubs. Who can throw the most money at the guys who are undervalued from a points point of view....

Gronk

Staff member
The irony here is that Schuey is recommending a "deeming" model, where it was that very concept that screwed us over with the Izzy saga.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Dumb system invented by a f**king DH, Schuderp on board has been an absolute master stoke.......... Not

84 Baby

Referee
Points system would be stupid.

It is an arbitrary decision on how many points a player is worth, as opposed to salaries determining how much they are worth.
The solution is a soft cap, luxury tax, unlimited TPAs with a tax on them as well which goes to clubs who historically are able to generate less revenue from that model.

A points system just becomes a win for the richest clubs. Who can throw the most money at the guys who are undervalued from a points point of view....
A points system usually comes with a salary cap as well. But other than that I tend to agree with tiered cap. Needs someone with more time on hands to figure out logistics of over cap tax being turned back to other clubs.
My other thought which is kind of like points system was NRL centralise salaries which are tiered so you have X number of players at blah salary, X number at next level and so on. So let's say Cronk & Thurston get same salary regardless of who they play for. It is then up to clubs to negotiate with players which salary tier they are on, as well as organise "TPAs" which have their own taxed cap

what about a points system for coaches? everyone talks about limiting players with the cap but players will always take unders to go to clubs with the best coaches how do we regulate that?

ash411

Bench
what about a points system for coaches? everyone talks about limiting players with the cap but players will always take unders to go to clubs with the best coaches how do we regulate that?

Aren't they talking about a cap for operational spending for footy clubs?

I think a coaches salary would count under that cap..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts