What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Week

Bench
If we ended up winning the comp this year after all this, it would be tainted and have an asterisk next to it. It's not how I want to experience my first premiership.

All I care about now is the clubs integrity. We've cheated. Challenge as much as possible to find out how much we've actually cheated so that there's no misinformation about it.

Accept the punishment so long as it fits the crime and, most importantly, swift.

Noise

Coach
If we do move Peats on, how different is it to us moving Pauli on earlier in the year.

Peats is the best hooker at the club, 3rd in line for NSW origin, is tough and a leader. Pauli Pauli probably wasn't going to play first grade for us, was over weight, questionable attitude and makes heaps of mistakes.

eels_fan

First Grade
If we ended up winning the comp this year after all this, it would be tainted and have an asterisk next to it. It's not how I want to experience my first premiership.

All I care about now is the clubs integrity. We've cheated. Challenge as much as possible to find out how much we've actually cheated so that there's no misinformation about it.

Accept the punishment so long as it fits the crime and, most importantly, swift.

if we are cap compliant and win the competition having basically started our season on -12 points, why would there be an asterisk?

The only asterisk warranted in the case of that occurring would be to clarify that we have the most resilient and determined coach and team in the history of the game..

hineyrulz

Post Whore
No I'd rather play for wins rather than points as well. But without TPAs we won't be fitting Peats or Norman under the cap next year so I hope you're happy we got caught. Because I'm certainly not.
I'm just thrilled, f**k you are a complete knobend, tell us all again how it's us fans and the members fault.

Tell us all it's the league's clubs fault, because it sells evil alcohol and has gambling.

Thus the reason we can't get any decent sponsors :lol: Doesn't seem to hurt the dogs who have probably the biggest Leagues club in Sydney.Nothing to do with the fact they don't have a plumber and used car salesman running the joint...............

phantom eel

First Grade
And also a difference in him coming to the end of a contract at the expected time and having the opportunity to e plots other options in the usual manner.

A herald article is quoting Geordie Peats saying Nathan was told there was mocha ve of him being next year because the 2017 cap is also compromised.
The 2017 reference seems to be about not being able to afford our current squad if our 2017 TPAs are no longer deemed cap exempt (like the TPAs now rolled into thsi year's cap)?

If we can't afford our current squad in 2017 because that will put it over the cap, then we sure as hell aren't under the cap for 2016 yet... it appears the NRL haven't accepted Schubert's cap calculations, which is pretty f**ked, considering you'd expect the guy knows what he's doing.

If Peats wants to play out the year with this squad, I agree with screwing the NRL and saying let's do it in 2016 for most wins and no points. f**k the named 5 off now as well.

ash411

Bench
Fanciful thanks nking - the NRL will never allow a cheating team to win.

Ok, I'm hearing this a lot, and I have to ask...

If we get cap compliant, as they have mandated, how exactly are they going to stop us from winning the comp?

hybrideel

Bench
Peats is the best hooker at the club, 3rd in line for NSW origin, is tough and a leader. Pauli Pauli probably wasn't going to play first grade for us, was over weight, questionable attitude and makes heaps of mistakes.

So the outrage over the treatment only applies if they are a good enough player?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/0943a348bafd539b7c87f1d12f6827f6

Parramatta’s Nathan Peats appears ready to accept his fate as fall guy for salary cap woes
May 10, 2016 8:07pm
CHRISTIAN NICOLUSSIThe Daily Telegraph

IT was hard to tell if Nathan Peats was joking when he said: “It’s good to be back in Parra-dise.’’

Peats emerged as the third player the Eels might be forced to offload in order to become salary cap compliant and be free to play for competition points against South Sydney on Friday night.

Parramatta coach Brad Arthur told Peats late Monday if the hooker could find a new club immediately, his remaining salary — along with the retirement of Anthony Watmough, and the $70,000 freed up by Ryan Morgan’s move to Melbourne — would make sure the club would wipe the $570,000 the NRL found they exceeded the cap.

It’s understood a number of other player options had been briefly discussed, none of which the Eels were willing to entertain.

The Gold Coast Titans quickly emerged as the frontrunners to sign Peats. However, the extent of those negotiations as of nighad been nothing more than a brief phone call between Peats’ manager Sam Ayoub and the Titans’ new chief operating officer Brian Canavan.

Alarm bells will grow louder if a deal for Peats is not agreed before Thursday’s captain’s run.

Sadly, Peats now has to carry the unfair burden of knowing his movements in the next 48 hours could impact on the chances of his teammates playing for competition points.

After training the house down, then requesting to complete a few extra sets, Peats told a giant media scrum he had no idea when or even if he would leave the club.

“I’m staying positive with everything and I’m enjoying my time,’’ Peats said.

“It’s good to be back in Parra-dise. I’m happy. I’ve had a chat to a few people, it’s out of my control. I’ll let my manager sort things out.

“You guys know more than me. I’m pretty relaxed about everything. I’m not sure of the situation right now whether I have to go later or I’m going at all.

“My job is to be the No.9 for this team, and that’s my main priority for this week.

“It’s not ideal having your name thrown out there. I’ve enjoyed my time at Parramatta so far and I intend to keep enjoying my time — I’m still contracted until the end of the year.’’

Peats was given the option of ditching the planned interview when his name was linked to the Titans, but chose to front the cameras.

He said leaving Souths for Parramatta at the end of 2013 was the best thing he had ever done, while it was believed the Eels had indicated they were keen to retain him beyond this season.

Ayoub said there had been no contact with the Titans, and the only phone call he had made was to Canavan on Monday night. Ayoub added there had been no contact with any other club in regards to Peats.

Given the tight deadline, a contract could be thrashed out in a matter of hours if Peats agreed to terms with the Titans or any potential suitor who could squeeze him into their roster.

The Eels need to win 12 of their remaining 15 games to reach the finals. They are short-priced favourites against Souths on Friday night given the emotion of the first game since the Eels’ salary cap breaches left the fans stunned and angry with the board.

Barnstorming prop Junior Paulo was another player the Eels could have shed to help them become cap compliant. But the Eels are loathe to let Paulo join Canberra given his importance to the club’s faint finals’ charge.

In Peats’ case, if he left Parramatta would still have qualified hookers Isaac De Gois, Kaysa Pritchard, who showed Peats some love as they finished training on Tuesday, and Cameron King.

Peats’ teammates said there would be no bad blood if he chose to hang around, even if it meant they could not play for points.

“We wouldn’t be dirty, we’re a tight group, and if he stays and we don’t play for points, that’s something we have to face then,’’ Tepai Moeroa said.

Clint Gutherson, who just spent the week in City Origin camp with Peats, said his mate had to do what was best for his family.

If we get cap compliant, as they have mandated, how exactly are they going to stop us from winning the comp?

all the punishments the nrl have handed down so far are preliminary if they want to they can also strip us of any other points we accrue between now and then and make us play the rest of the season for zero points

the question then becomes are they still a sporting code passing down a fair & just penalty for a rule breach or a kid pulling the wings off flies just because they can

Last edited:

Noise

Coach
So the outrage over the treatment only applies if they are a good enough player?

You must have missed the part where I said he would struggle to play any first grade with us. He obviously had a much better opportunity to play regular first grade with Newcastle.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Barnstorming prop Junior Paulo was another player the Eels could have shed to help them become cap compliant. But the Eels are loathe to let Paulo join Canberra given his importance to the club’s faint finals’ charge.

there is zero chance of finals unless points penalty is reduced

phantom eel

First Grade
The Official Eels Facebook page just posted a video of Peats press conference saying "Peats unfazed by rumours he may be leaving"

Is our media department stupid? Unless there is no truth to Peats going at all, whoever posted that should be sacked..
Interesting... :sarcasm:

Incorrect

Coach
if we are cap compliant and win the competition having basically started our season on -12 points, why would there be an asterisk?

The only asterisk warranted in the case of that occurring would be to clarify that we have the most resilient and determined coach and team in the history of the game..

But isn't the NRL's inference that we have been able to assemble a squad for 2016 that we otherwise wouldn't have if we'd played by the rules?? If that is the message, then the NRL shouldn't be allowing us to play for points if they're being fair dinkum. I'm convinced they have dangled the pints carrot in front if us order to keep their broadcast partners happy.

On the one hand I think there would be question marks over it if we pulled off a GF win from here. But on the other hand it seems more and more probable these days that whoever wins it, there's likely to have been some creative accounting and shady stuff going on there too so then, hey,why not us?!

hybrideel

Bench
No way, there was a heap of outrage about Morgs last week - wasn't there?

I'm as guilty as everyone else but some of us are fooling outselves if we are saying our outrage is purely on principle. They only difference would be if Morgan and Pauli were sounded out by the other clubs and we let them go for the opportunity

ash411

Bench
all the punishments the nrl have handed down so far are preliminary if they want to they can also strip us of any other points we accrue between now and then and make us play the rest of the season for zero points

the question then becomes are they still a sporting code passing down a fair & just penalty for a rule breach or a kid pulling the wings off flies just because they can

Except they have already been banging on about the points deduction being us being over the cap. If we get under the cap, they can't take more points away, they have no justification to.

I actually believe Greenberg when he says that he wants to see us make the finals if we are good enough to get there. This theory that the NRL are going to "make sure we don't get to the finals" even going so far as to suggest they will rig our games by instructing refs to let other teams win is frankly absurd.

Eelementary

Post Whore

They have already hinted that they can deduct points at their own discretion in addition to the 12 already taken, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.