What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels thrash Panthers in western derby

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
From what I saw everyone had a good game, apart from morts who was a bit off his game.

Well here's the video: http://www.foxsports.com.au/League/...012716821?subcat=1225914677120&site=FoxSports

You'll notice Morts put up a pretty good bomb for Whatuira's try. If you look closely you'll also see it was Mortimer who told Fats/Whats (Phats?) to bring it around under the posts.

Only a special player knows tries are easier to convert from in front of the sticks. And he's not even the kicker.

Truly unselfish play right there.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Lassalo has definitely cemented his starting 2nd row spot. Very excited but what he bring to our forwards.

And only a couple of weeks ago I was bemoaning our lack of wide back-rowers. I thought we'd be short of depth there until Maitua arrived, so Lasalo's definitely filled a need. Especially if he pushes Smith out of the starting side.

Isnt it great having 2nd rowers that can run good lines and hit a hole?
Both Lassalo and Horo can do that. Ben Smith while great defensively has been very poor on the attacking and running game.

Smith might start in the centres until Reddy gets back.

Back when he played centre he was a hole runner. In the back-row he seems to prefer getting the ball before the line. But you're right, when given time with the ball he doesn't have the footwork or ball-skills to be effective.

Awesome defender though, especially when jamming into the runner.

Last edited:

boxhead

First Grade
"Don't be so gullible McFly" you read the papers as gospel do you?

Did you see that I said several other people said they both were good? I'd rather listen to a few dozen people tell me they had decent games, supplemented by the papers, than one person. I think if you were in the same position as me you would have the same thinking. One person or several?

The tigers trial they kicked very well I've said that but yesterday just hopeless. Sorry to burst your little bubble.

My little bubble? They kicked well for the tries and that was it. Not denying that, I even said someone told me the kicking was superflous. Are you even reading my posts?

Prejudice???? You're an idiot!

After the stuff you posted regarding our halves, I have every right to say that. It's a wild accusation, which you and several other forumites seem to love making as well whenever I even try to say something positive regarding Mortimer or Robson. I don't deny I am an idiot, calm down.

Robson set up two trys which was good and I gave him credit for that you knob.

Relying on insults? I'm so cut. You gave him credit but when I said that according to SEVERAL people he was the best on the field, you refused to acknowledge this and said he was crap. Therefore, you didn't give credit where credit was due.

But his kicking was f**king sh*t yesterday and it was back to the old Robson.

And yet he actually set up tries, which is what he DIDN'T do last year. Therefore, he is not the "old" Robson and rather the "new" Robson that can actually set up tries once more, and whether he can do this consistently and against switched on opposition is a question waiting to be answered.

Mortimer defended well yesterday but his attacking game was sh*t as well. He had nothing.

He was credited with one (or two?) try assists, the thing is mate, whether or not he looks superflous in attack, if you get the assists, the rest is just butter. Sure it isn't a good thing a few weeks out from Round 1 but it's still a good sign that we are actually scoring points, which was our biggest problem last year. Frankly, even if Mortimer and Robson don't kick on well, as long as they get the assists (or not) and we get the tries, it doesn't matter as much whatever else they do - unless it's something that can affect the result of the game dramatically.

Even Haynes kick were sh*te.

Hayne was nursing a slight injury I think, but it isn't any excuse. Again, the kicking wasn't great as I admitted but the fact remains that tries were still scored off them which in the end is the difference between a win and a loss. From the highlights it looks like all three of Robson, Mortimer and Hayne set up a try each from a kick. I'm happy if they keep improving - which they will as it was just a trial - and they keep up this confidence going into the season proper.

Ffs we won and still we have the critics. Robo and morts were solid without being standouts. They done their job, that's all I want from them.

The backrow were the standouts.

In fairness to Jake the Snake, he did give credit to Robson.
I agree that they did their jobs and that's really all we could hope for. As long as we score points and they defend well then they have done right by me. Our back-row is once again proving to be one of our strongest positions I think, it looks certain that Lasalo will be in the side come Round 1.

dont bother defending yourself to boxhead. His name says it all. You can only talk good stuff with him otherwise your attacked.

I might say rude stuff to you because you never post anything useful, constructive or positive. You'll notice a few other people probably do too.

Lassalo has definitely cemented his starting 2nd row spot. Very excited but what he bring to our forwards.

Isnt it great having 2nd rowers that can run good lines and hit a hole?
Both Lassalo and Horo can do that. Ben Smith while great defensively has been very poor on the attacking and running game.

It is great for sure, and it might be a case that we see Lasalo make the starting side and Smith off the bench for that exact reason. Or it could be the opposite with Smith starting to soak up the early pressured minutes and have Lasalo come on later to hit some holes! :)

Look, I'm filled with vitriol at the moment and I apoogize - I do that a lot lately - but you should remember that in the mornings, I haven't had my tea and so everyone looks like a target to me! :D

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I didn't actually see the game. But I do have fun trying to get a reaction from boxhead.
It's a bit sad really.

boxhead

First Grade
What's sad? You trying to get a reaction out of me or me getting a reaction from you trying to get a reaction out of me?
Or....
It is you feeling empowered by me getting a reaction from you trying to get a reaction out of me?

What's even sadder is that I haven't had my morning blue.

sooty

Juniors
i was at game also and thought Robson was good. He was barking orders and pointing other players(mainly forwards) where to hit the ball up. That screams structure. Dont forget we bombed two certain tries both from Hayne passes, one to burtie and on to etu both were unmarked with a short stroll to the tryline and both from set six tackle plays.Whilst two trial wins doesn't gift us the premiership with kearneys structure and guidance we should make the eight and from there who knows what. One player who had an awesome game last night and wasnt mentioned was Mitchell Allgood. Tough and Big and a good backup if Justin Poore is ruled out.

MrT

Juniors
Smith scored off a grubber from Robson.

He sure did ala Cameron Smith from dummy half, passes to Cronk who grubbers through for a flying Slater.

It was a well rehearsed play but it was Mcguire>Robson>Ben Smith

This isn't the best team on paper you have ever seen but it was the best team performance I have ever seen based on team structure.

It was so good I was doing all kinds of multi's at the TAB 30 mins ago including Parra in all of them.

I have a betfair account and the punters were all over Parra after I got home from penrith last night, showing 1.60 to make the 8, yes that's right.
TAB 2.25 free money if you ask me

mrpwnd

Bench
I don't get it, I'm hearing from some people that went to the game that our halves were much improved, not excellent, but improved then I'm hearing conflicting reports that they were more or less ineffective and useless.

What's the go here?

MrT

Juniors
i didn't watch the game but I'm a little confused here..

so our halves had something between an ok and a really good one...

please discuss :lol:

{grabs popcorn}

Stagger, Robson had a good game. Great short ball to Lasalo to go untouched for a try but it was a team effort. We had about three runners all wanting the ball and Robson threw a great short ball to Lasalo.
As I mentioned in another post, Robson put the grubber tyhrough for the Ben Smith try.

I will be more than happy if he's that solid throughout the year.

Morts definately saved 2 tries. The tackle on Earl in the corner was brilliant. He was cleaning up the scraps. had a solid game without being brilliant.

This Parra team is about TEAM EFFORT. Like I mentioned before, we didn't rely on Hayne's brilliance.

Kearney may want to re-thing spending big bucks on Harrison because Lasalo is going to be a weapon and Horo is brilliant

MrT

Juniors
I don't get it, I'm hearing from some people that went to the game that our halves were much improved, not excellent, but improved then I'm hearing conflicting reports that they were more or less ineffective and useless.

What's the go here?

I didn't see the Tigers trial but was at the game last night. Friends I sat with who were at the Tigers trial said we were better last week.

We were good last night and would have given any team in the comp a run for their money.

I'd love to see Hicks and Reddy back in the centres and add Fui and we could really give things a shake. Shame about Poore.

Mateo is no loss under the Kearney/Arthurs structure as players like Lasalo and Horo better suit.

Considering we are considerably under the cap things are really looking good

mrpwnd

Bench
I didn't see the Tigers trial but was at the game last night. Friends I sat with who were at the Tigers trial said we were better last week.

We were good last night and would have given any team in the comp a run for their money.

I'd love to see Hicks and Reddy back in the centres and add Fui and we could really give things a shake. Shame about Poore.

Mateo is no loss under the Kearney/Arthurs structure as players like Lasalo and Horo better suit.

Considering we are considerably under the cap things are really looking good
Thanks, it's always a treat to hear some positive feedback on the team. At the very least I think most people can agree that the halves have improved from last year.

Forty20

First Grade
They have posted the post-match presser and interviews with Mortimer, Robson, Whatuira and Walker on the Parra home page.

Kearney and Whatuira confirmed that Ryan Morgan missed the game due to illness, though it didn't seem to be anything major.

boxhead

First Grade
Stagger, Robson had a good game. Great short ball to Lasalo to go untouched for a try but it was a team effort. We had about three runners all wanting the ball and Robson threw a great short ball to Lasalo.
As I mentioned in another post, Robson put the grubber tyhrough for the Ben Smith try.

I will be more than happy if he's that solid throughout the year.

Morts definately saved 2 tries. The tackle on Earl in the corner was brilliant. He was cleaning up the scraps. had a solid game without being brilliant.

This Parra team is about TEAM EFFORT. Like I mentioned before, we didn't rely on Hayne's brilliance.

Kearney may want to re-thing spending big bucks on Harrison because Lasalo is going to be a weapon and Horo is brilliant

Thanks, great to know mate :) It is great that we are playing as a team structured in both attack and defence, it suits our players and these results have obviously given our boys some good confidence for the coming season.

I think Kearney will go for Harrison anyway, mostly as a long-term replacement for Hindy (when and if he retires). Our second-row is definitely strong enough as it is, but if Hindy is retiring this year or next year then it makes sense to snatch him up now. A back-row of Harrison, Lasalo, Horo, Smith is just mouth-watering.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
At the very least I think most people can agree that the halves have improved from last year.

I reckon they don't even need to, as long as they're used properly.

Look at the two tries Robson set up last night (Smith and Lasalo) - both times he received the ball behind decoys, both times he just ran to the line with two options - short pass or grubber.

No run-arounds, no unders lines, no isolating wide defenders, no inside-outside options, just catch-run-pass or catch-run-grubber.

It's what Ben Hornby's been doing for two years (though on the left side of the field). Even Cooper Cronk's play is nearly this simple (though he usually has an inside option as well).

Certainly not the kind of ad-lib stuff you get from Thurston, Locker or Marshall on the back of second-phase play.

For the halves we have, structure is all we needed.

MrT

Juniors
Thanks, great to know mate :) It is great that we are playing as a team structured in both attack and defence, it suits our players and these results have obviously given our boys some good confidence for the coming season.

I think Kearney will go for Harrison anyway, mostly as a long-term replacement for Hindy (when and if he retires). Our second-row is definitely strong enough as it is, but if Hindy is retiring this year or next year then it makes sense to snatch him up now. A back-row of Harrison, Lasalo, Horo, Smith is just mouth-watering.

boxhead, I think we'll get either Blair or Harrison. We need to go for one gun centre. Our backs are old and on short term contracts. Loko may fill one centre spot but he's still some way away from dominating in 1st grade

Stagger eel

Staff member
boxhead, I think we'll get either Blair or Harrison. We need to go for one gun centre. Our backs are old and on short term contracts. Loko may fill one centre spot but he's still some way away from dominating in 1st grade

or maybe both..:sarcasm:

MrT

Juniors
I reckon they don't even need to, as long as they're used properly.

Look at the two tries Robson set up last night (Smith and Lasalo) - both times he received the ball behind decoys, both times he just ran to the line with two options - short pass or grubber.

No run-arounds, no unders lines, no isolating wide defenders, no inside-outside options, just catch-run-pass or catch-run-grubber.

It's what Ben Hornby's been doing for two years (though on the left side of the field). Even Cooper Cronk's play is nearly this simple (though he usually has an inside option as well).

Certainly not the kind of ad-lib stuff you get from Thurston, Locker or Marshall on the back of second-phase play.

For the halves we have, structure is all we needed.

Have to agree with that PE and when you think Robson is one of the cheapest 7's running around who can do the job we can really spend the money wisely on some backs. We need 2 backs signed for 2012. I'd go for Peni Tagive from Dragons as a winger as he won't get a go with Morris and Nightingale unless Boyd leaves and i would definately have a crack at Lawrence

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Harrison plays a different position to Hindmarsh. Bear with me...

While they're both called 'second rowers', Hindy plays in the middle, while Harrison plays out wide.

The two positions are quite different.

Hindy began his career wide on the left but he's played in the midle since about 2004. The modern day central back-rower is kind of a hybrid front-row/back-rower. The way he plays most resembles front-row play, especially in defence.

A lot of them are even part of their team's front-row rotation (essentially playing with 3 props on the field and two or three on the bench).

Most of them play more minutes than the 35-45 typically played by the props, and for this reason they make more tackles. They usually also don't take the main settling runs, which are the specific territory of the props.

Some other central back-rowers are Gallen, Myles, Parker and Jeremy Smith - big, front-row types. There's also smaller, tackling-machine types who play in the middle, like Fensom, Luck and Ash Harrison.

Bear in mind that a few blokes are equally effective both out wide and in the middle (e.g Thaiday). But generally, you're one or the other - Bronson Harrison's line-breaking ability would be wasted in the middle, while Hindy's front-on defence and work-rate would be wasted out wide.

Latest posts