What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels thrash Panthers in western derby

boxhead

First Grade
Hey guys, for those that don't know, we have had another great result in the trials :)

We finished the game at the score of Eels 30 - 0 Panthers.

The try-scores were; Lasalo, Whatuira, Smith, Keating, Burt.

Our halves have stepped up big-time, and from all reports our attitude in defence is far improved. We are playing structured football in attack and never giving up in the tackle.

Will update when I hear who was man of the match!

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/eels-thrash-panthers-in-western-derby-20110226-1b9bv.html

Eels thrash Panthers in western derby
Joe Barton
February 26, 2011 - 9:24PM

AAP

Maligned Parramatta halfback Jeff Robson starred on Saturday night as the Eels thrashed Penrith 30-0 in their NRL trial at Centrebet Stadium.

Last season the Eels chased a string of high-profile halfbacks to mentor young five-eighth Daniel Mortimer, but perhaps the answer was under their nose the whole time.

Robson, the halfback who took them to the 2009 grand final, was involved in everything, setting up tries with precision passing and kicking while also pulling off try-saving tackles.

The Eels cruised home with a comfortable victory in a spiteful and physical, but mostly dour, affair.

A late hit by Penrith's Luke Walsh on a defenceless Mortimer, who had regathered a kick, sparked an all-in brawl in the second half, with Parramatta superstar Jarryd Hayne and Walsh having to be separated by teammates as the game threatened to explode.

Backrower Taniela Lasalo opened the scoring in the 19th minute for the visitors when he was put into a gaping hole by Robson, who set up a try for makeshift centre Ben Smith with a precision grubber 15 minutes later, while tries to Paul Whatuira, Justin Horo and Matt Keating completed the rout.

Classy Penrith fullback Lachlan Coote played 40 minutes in his first match of 2011 as he recovers from a groin injury, and he emerged unscathed, which was more than could be said for Eels recruit Chris Walker who left the field with a foot injury in the ninth minute.

Penrith, missing the attacking force of Michael Jennings and Michael Gordon who both sat out the match with hamstring complaints, looked inept in attack and were unable to make an impact on the scoreboard despite five-eighth Arana Taumata providing some spark.

spartan2153

Juniors
our defence was good last year as well. Dont make out like we couldnt defend either. Our attack let us down & its good that they have picked there asses off the floor & done something about attack

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Good to hear there were no major injuries, my main worries in trials. Sounds like we are much improved in attack which was what our main problem was last year IMO.

boxhead

First Grade
Yeah Walker should be all set for Round 1, hope he is alright though nonetheless :)

It's great that we are doing so well in the trials and playing with confidence, and scoring points too! To not concede a point in a trial regardless of the opposition is a good feat.

Still, just a trial.

boxhead

First Grade
One thing I am extremely impressed with in regards to the coaching of our team, is that Hayne is no longer playing as a playmaker, apparently whatsoever. The fullback is playing as a fullback, and the halves are being allowed to play without interruption.

yy_cheng

Coach
do you guys really think the opposition coach will study tapes of Parra and then work on a gameplan?

Cmon guys, it's the trials. They are not interested in the opposition, only their own team combination, fitness, areas of improvement.

When the real rounds come around, they will pressure our halves don't worry about that.

It's up to them to show that they can still perform under intense pressure, not to mention to perform week in week out.

mrpwnd

Bench
do you guys really think the opposition coach will study tapes of Parra and then work on a gameplan?

Cmon guys, it's the trials. They are not interested in the opposition, only their own team combination, fitness, areas of improvement.

When the real rounds come around, they will pressure our halves don't worry about that.

It's up to them to show that they can still perform under intense pressure, not to mention to perform week in week out.

Still it's a really good sign. At the very least both the playera and staff have a lot less headaches to deal with come rd1 and much less than other teams too. As far as im concerned these all indicate a positive outlook to a season written off as dead by the masses.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
No, they were different. The were clinical and committed to everything they were doing.

I saw no serious flaws in our game at all. Our depth everywhere could be an issue.

Im only going to make the one prediction for us after what I have seen so far. We will compete.

Boxhead did you even watch the game?

Robson had a ok game but Mortimer did nothing. You are completely wrong.

It was more of a team effort. Defence was excellent.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
our defence was good last year as well. Dont make out like we couldnt defend either.

Last year our defence would backpedal for 80 metres, giving up yardage in exchange for no linebreaks.

We never moved forward with our defence which let the opposition dictate nearly every game.

boxhead

First Grade
Boxhead did you even watch the game?

Robson had a ok game but Mortimer did nothing. You are completely wrong.

It was more of a team effort. Defence was excellent.

No mate, I just heard from several people at the game as well as match reports from other websites, which all indicate that Robson was a star performer and that Mortimer was decent.

I am not 'completely wrong' for posting what has been said by many others, thanks a bunch mate :roll:

It was indeed a team effort, I didn't say it wasn't, I just pointed out that our halves were much improved from all reports. I.e. Mortimer pulled off two try-saving tackles as an example, defence was definitely great.

Latest posts