What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels vs Broncos game thread

Ratchy

Juniors
C'mon mate. Our side on paper was still a lot stronger than theirs. They only had a couple of guys in their side who'd played more than 50 first grade games. We had experienced players like Hindy, Shacks, Fui, Burt, Smith, Webb, Walker etc. Their most experienced player was Wallace who hasn't even played 100 first grade games.

At the end of the day the Bronocs had an experienced former S.O.O half back and a proper five-eight while Parra dished up a hobbled together set of halves. The team with a better set of halves will win that match up more times than not.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I agree, mate. But we should have smashed them - we had guys with tonnes of experience (ignoring their relative lack of class)!

I was thiking the some but have a closer look at our side:

burt - paying out of position, but had a good game. Cannnot expect to play wing then become our chief playing in one game
etu - reserve grader
benny - playing out of positions
Loco - less then 10 or so games only 18
walker - struggling to make the nrl side
Reni - first game in 2 years, playing out of position
casey - can't remember the last time he played halfback
webb - firsts game in the starting side for over 12 months
keating - regular
fui - regular
hindy - regular
taniela - only about 20 games to his name
horo - only aboiut 30 games to his name

Bench

allgood - lass then 20 games
the shack - regular
manase - 2nd NRL game in 12 months
pat o hanlon - first game

Looking at the above side, it shows how much class we lack and the lack of a play maker in the side we had tonight.

Eelementary

Post Whore
C'mon mate. Our side on paper was still a lot stronger than theirs. They only had a couple of guys in their side who'd played more than 50 first grade games. We had experienced players like Hindy, Shacks, Fui, Burt, Smith, Webb, Walker etc. Their most experienced player was Wallace who hasn't even played 100 first grade games.

You'll most likely disagree with me, but what the heck: IMO the experienced players you listed played well. Walker was rocks and diamonds but some of his touches and tackles were very strong. I felt Webb added some aggression in attack and defense. Hindy and Smith were their usual selves - Smith quieter because he was playing in the centres.

The Broncos' squad was full of 'no-names', but their players are better than ours, sadly. Nick Kenny last year was being talked up as a rep prop; McCullough is all class; Wallace is a former Origin halfback; Gagai will be something special, as will Gillett. All those guys would walk into our team ATM IMO.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I was thiking the some but have a closer look at our side:

burt - paying out of position, but had a good game. Cannnot expect to play wing then become our chief playing in one game
etu - reserve grader
benny - playing out of positions
Loco - less then 10 or so games only 18
walker - struggling to make the nrl side
Reni - first game in 2 years, playing out of position
casey - can't remember the last time he played halfback
webb - firsts game in the starting side for over 12 months
keating - regular
fui - regular
hindy - regular
taniela - only about 20 games to his name
horo - only aboiut 30 games to his name

Bench

allgood - lass then 20 games
the shack - regular
manase - 2nd NRL game in 12 months
pat o hanlon - first game

Looking at the above side, it shows how much class we lack and the lack of a play maker in the side we had tonight.

Mate, I agree 100%. We were easily more experienced, but the Broncos had more skill and class, and with Peter Wallace leading them around, he kept them composed. Griffin did a magnificent job IMO.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
C'mon mate. Our side on paper was still a lot stronger than theirs.

When you look at the players they had out compared to the two we had out I'd agree.

But looking at who they did have on the field compared to us, especially after we were stuck with no good kickers or genuine organisers in the halves, and it's easy to see why they won.

Their reserve graders are better than ours.

They only had a couple of guys in their side who'd played more than 50 first grade games. We had experienced players like Hindy, Shacks, Fui, Burt, Smith, Webb, Walker etc. Their most experienced player was Wallace who hasn't even played 100 first grade games.

Wallace was actually the difference. After a shit first half he remained composed at the end and kept them together. We had no such player.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Well we did smash them.

In the end they scored a soft try over the top of a notoriously poor defender and then after being camped on their line they scored a freakish long range try after we just couldn't score.

When we finally got a roll on and came back we lost our composure and they scored from simple defensive mistakes.

This loss was entirely from lack of quality. I actually think we would've won if Robson had played instead of McGuire.

Mate totally agree. I like the way we are playing. We were very phyiscal tonight but just lack a class halfback (plus Hayne) and one or two quality backs with some speed - add this to our team and we will be a totally different side next year.

Plus also we had a lot of players out tonight as will.

Eels Dude

Coach
Well we did smash them.

In the end they scored a soft try over the top of a notoriously poor defender and then after being camped on their line they scored a freakish long range try after we just couldn't score.

When we finally got a roll on and came back we lost our composure and they scored from simple defensive mistakes.

This loss was entirely from lack of quality. I actually think we would've won if Robson had played instead of McGuire.

I thought you weren't watching the game but listening to it on 2GB?

parra pete

Referee
Casey McGuire's missed tackle was a gut wrencher for those of you who follow the Eels. Hindy's action at the end of the game said it all..Feel for the poor bastard...really do...Plays his arse off every week, only to see simple errors snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Is this year's side the re-incarnation of the North Sydney Bears????

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Same old story lack of quality in the halves and the
Slowest backline in the comp. Props to Reni who was great first
Game back Fui, Burty and Hindy all played great.

Eels Dude

Coach
At the end of the day the Bronocs had an experienced former S.O.O half back and a proper five-eight while Parra dished up a hobbled together set of halves. The team with a better set of halves will win that match up more times than not.

Well who's fault is that? It's not Brisbane's. You can only blame the lack of a 'proper 5'8th' on selections and with Mortimor, Robson and Humble all available then it comes down to the coach and his selections. This is one loss Kearney doesn't deserve to be blamed for, but by using your excuse you're doing so.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well who's fault is that? It's not Brisbane's. You can only blame the lack of a 'proper 5'8th' on selections and with Mortimor, Robson and Humble all available then it comes down to the coach and his selections. This is one loss Kearney doesn't deserve to be blamed for, but by using your excuse you're doing so.

I think this would have been a perfect game to bring Mortimer back. He's been doing well at Wenty and he'd be playing against a "reserve grade team". It might have worked out better than keeping Reni out there for the full 80, and at 5/8. But it's just a thought.

I think we competed, but we just couldn't capitalise on our chances.

Eels Dude

Coach
You'll most likely disagree with me, but what the heck: IMO the experienced players you listed played well. Walker was rocks and diamonds but some of his touches and tackles were very strong. I felt Webb added some aggression in attack and defense. Hindy and Smith were their usual selves - Smith quieter because he was playing in the centres.

Well that is true. I think the problem can come down to those senior players not being up to firing up the younger guys and showing the leadership on the field that they should. The Broncos played as a team. Our senior players did well but we didn't play well as a team and that's where it's up to the senior players to step up and lead the way.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well that is true. I think the problem can come down to those senior players not being up to firing up the younger guys and showing the leadership on the field that they should. The Broncos played as a team. Our senior players did well but we didn't play well as a team and that's where it's up to the senior players to step up and lead the way.

Yep - I think you're spot on there.

Eels Dude

Coach
I think this would have been a perfect game to bring Mortimer back. He's been doing well at Wenty and he'd be playing against a "reserve grade team". It might have worked out better than keeping Reni out there for the full 80, and at 5/8. But it's just a thought.

I think we competed, but we just couldn't capitalise on our chances.

It may have worked yeah. Even Humble in there would have been just as good. It would have been at least 6 years since Casey started an NRL game at halfback. It could have been just as long since Reni started an NRL game at 5'8th.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Also in reality it was our mistakes which cost us the game. And those mistakes came from;

- First try, Walker dropped the ball then missed the tackle which lead the try
- Second try, McGuire gave Horo a hospital pass
- Thirs try, McGuire missed a one of one tackle.

So our "experienced players" really costed us tonight

Eelementary

Post Whore
It may have worked yeah. Even Humble in there would have been just as good. It would have been at least 6 years since Casey started an NRL game at halfback. It could have been just as long since Reni started an NRL game at 5'8th.

Agreed. Humble might have been a handy addition, too. I rate Maitua and he will be better for the run, but his first game back, playing 80 minutes and at 5/8...Big ask.

Also in reality it was our mistakes which cost us the game. And those mistakes came from;

- First try, Walker dropped the ball then missed the tackle which lead the try
- Second try, McGuire gave Horo a hospital pass
- Thirs try, McGuire missed a one of one tackle.

So our "experienced players" really costed us tonight

True. Thought I cannot feel that Walker was that much to blame for the first try - it was brilliant work from McCullough that exploited a back-tracking and isolated Walker.

Ratchy

Juniors

Not blaming Kearney at all, he can only pick from what's at his disposal which isn't much since he was appointed too late to do any sort of decent recruitment.