What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels vs Broncos game thread

Avenger

Immortal
Kearney really has his work cut out. Why the f**k would our club let Mateo go and sign these old players past their prime ? That's right we were signing Quade Cooper and Cooper Cronk.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Rubbish, I guarantee you that the Broncs were over the moon playing us this week and not any of the other sides, and by the way you mentioned everything under the sun regarding what doesnt work for us, EXPERIENCE, does that count for anything????

You don't agree, thus naturally the point is rubbish. :roll:. Great point there - very eloquent.

And btw - you can have all the experience you like, but if your opponents are younger, faster and stronger, it won't do any good.

FTR - I'm not slitting my wrists over this like 50% of you lot are. I, for one, can recognise our squad is weak, and there isn't much we can do with it.

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
WTF is all this talk about lack of courage and heart for?....they tried their asses off all night but just don't have good enough players in key positions.

And the Broncos did? We were playing a reserve grade side tonight.

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
This reminds me so much of our team in the lates 80's and early 90's. A team full of overrated juniors, old workhorses past their prime and only one genuine gamebreaker. Burt and Hindy were the only 2 players I would feed tonight.
Thats what I was saying to my wife at halftime, sad thing is I think those side would have pumped us Avenger, from Joey Bartolo through Johnny Fearnley, Craig Izzard and so on , and finally Michael Erickson, John Fearnley had some heart!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The Broncos side, reserve graders or not, were just too strong, too fast, too skillful and too enthusiastic

Shows the quality of the Broncos recruitment and development system. Their reserve graders have always been streets ahead of every other club.

EelsFan05

Bench
I think Reni's made a claim for the lock position tonight for 2012. Ran hard, carried defenders and showed some ball skills. Sandow, Roberts/Humble, Reni and Hayne, plenty of ball players there.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Shows the quality of the Broncos recruitment and development system. Their reserve graders have always been streets ahead of every other club.

I agree, mate. But we should have smashed them - we had guys with tonnes of experience (ignoring their relative lack of class)!

Eels Dude

Coach
Why did we lose? Umm...How about:

* No halves;

* No genuine game-breakers in the side;

* No composure when things went wrong (throwing the ball around like that could have ended worse than it did).

What exactly is wrong with that statement, anyway? We tried all night but were simply not good enough? It's not an oxymoron - I truly don't see how that statement could have confused you.

The Broncos side, reserve graders or not, were just too strong, too fast, too skillful and too enthusiastic - although I don't think we were lacking for enthusiasm necessarily. We just lacked class.

That's taking the ultimate positive out of a horrible performance. Would you be saying the same if we lost to the Ipswich Jets or the Newtown Jets?

Why were we out enthused by the Broncos?
Why were they too strong and too fast for us?

There's no excuses for that. That comes down to attitude.

You contradict yourself when you say they were too enthusiastic for us, yet we played with heart and gave 100%.

I am as angry as everyone else. The one real positive was Maitua.........did some really nice things.

Walker's brain fade and Horo's howler cost us but really, the rest of it...........Matt Keating offers very little. Why did the forwards not take the ball up more - Laisalo and Smith for example? I still can't see if we actually have any game plan in attack.

Just not good enough in the end - again, another game where the opposition wanted to win more than us.

Bigfella

Coach
A massive difference was that their outside backs have pace and power.

If we don't get some more of that were pretty much screwed for next year too.

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
You don't agree, thus naturally the point is rubbish. :roll:. Great point there - very eloquent.

And btw - you can have all the experience you like, but if your opponents are younger, faster and stronger, it won't do any good.

FTR - in case your reading isn't very good - I'm not slitting my wrists over this like 50% of you lot are. I, for one, can recognise our squad is weak, and there isn't much we can do with it.
Uh sorry I didnt mean to hurt ur feelings, and if the squad is weak and not up to it, then they should discount their tickets for the rest of year and give the fans who dont earn a quarter of their wage Im sure a break and make it affordable to watch a very mediocre team?, what the old saying "U get what u pay for" that is all I am suggesting, by the way this is supposed to be the best League comp on the planet and this is the team we dish up, but hey they tried.

Eelementary

Post Whore
That's taking the ultimate positive out of a horrible performance. Would you be saying the same if we lost to the Ipswich Jets or the Newtown Jets?

Why were we out enthused by the Broncos?
Why were they too strong and too fast for us?

There's no excuses for that. That comes down to attitude.

You contradict yourself when you say they were too enthusiastic for us, yet we played with heart and gave 100%.

Yeah I didn't phrase it correctly - IMO, which you may not agree with, the boys had the right levels of enthusiasm and gave 100%. But the team just sucks. Love them to bits, but they suck horribly.

I'm not terribly bothered by it because I do not expect big things from them. Maybe I should. But I look at our squad and I die a little inside every time I do.

Eels Dude

Coach
Two reserve grade sides met. One had a first grade halfback.

C'mon mate. Our side on paper was still a lot stronger than theirs. They only had a couple of guys in their side who'd played more than 50 first grade games. We had experienced players like Hindy, Shacks, Fui, Burt, Smith, Webb, Walker etc. Their most experienced player was Wallace who hasn't even played 100 first grade games.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Uh sorry I didnt mean to hurt ur feelings, and if the squad is weak and not up to it, then they should discount their tickets for the rest of year and give the fans who dont earn a quarter of their wage Im sure a break and make it affordable to watch a very mediocre team?, what the old saying "U get what u pay for" that is all I am suggesting, by the way this is supposed to be the best League comp on the planet and this is the team we dish up, but hey they tried.

Do you honestly expect the squad named to be able to beat many teams in the comp? If you do, more power to you. I prefer to think of myself as a realist, and I see that this squad is terrible. We have no halves. At all. Anywhere.

I don't think you're wrong - all I have done in this thread is given MY opinion, which is just as valid as anyone else's. I'm just as disappointed as anyone that we lost. I guess I just take it better because I never thought we'd score a single point.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I agree, mate. But we should have smashed them - we had guys with tonnes of experience (ignoring their relative lack of class)!

Well we did smash them.

In the end they scored a soft try over the top of a notoriously poor defender and then after being camped on their line they scored a freakish long range try after we just couldn't score.

When we finally got a roll on and came back we lost our composure and they scored from simple defensive mistakes.

This loss was entirely from lack of quality. I actually think we would've won if Robson had played instead of McGuire.